• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Reknoc

YOU DEFEATED (I won't post more about DS today, I promise).

Also, happy birthday Mush!

Working from home today. I woke up and the piggies were waiting at the cage door for me (well, for food) in the place where I always feed them. They're so cute.

OK, that's my news for the day! How is everyone?

Your DS posts are the only reason I check this thread. Made me even load it up again but I have no idea what the game expects me to do against the Taurus Demon when playing as a Knight. One suggestion I got was "take your armour off" like what, if I didn't want to wear clanky heavy armour I would have just rolled Pyromancer or something.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Your DS posts are the only reason I check this thread. Made me even load it up again but I have no idea what the game expects me to do against the Taurus Demon when playing as a Knight. One suggestion I got was "take your armour off" like what, if I didn't want to wear clanky heavy armour I would have just rolled Pyromancer or something.

You can block it with the Knight's starting set up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I've tried that, but actually I'm so used to just rolling everything that maybe I didn't lol

This for G&T Daps:

The Tower Kite Shield has something like a 55-60 stability rating. If it hits you, it'll send you flying back for a sec, but you shouldn't recieve any damage. Not sure if the Taurus' overhead smash will flatten you though. I don't think it does. Stay relatively close and it won't hit you with it.

You probably already know this, but do a drop attack off the tower to take a good 1/3 of it's health and then stick to its legs. Try to go under it's crutch. You won't have to roll as certain attacks make him lift his legs. If you feel you need to roll, just take off your gloves and armour. The Tower Kite Shield blocks all the melee damage anyway.

Also, try to get it near the break in the castle wall. He sometimes drops off when he jumps backwards to get away from you.

Reknoc

This for G&T Daps:

The Tower Kite Shield has something like a 55-60 stability rating. If it hits you, it'll send you flying back for a sec, but you shouldn't recieve any damage. Not sure if the Taurus' overhead smash will flatten you though. I don't think it does. Stay relatively close and it won't hit you with it.

You probably already know this, but do a drop attack off the tower to take a good 1/3 of it's health and then stick to its legs. Try to go under it's crutch. You won't have to roll as certain attacks make him lift his legs. If you feel you need to roll, just take off your gloves and armour. The Tower Kite Shield blocks all the melee damage anyway.

Also, try to get it near the break in the castle wall. He sometimes drops off when he jumps backwards to get away from you.

Thanks, I tend not to do the drop attack because it fucks me over trying to get back up, unless it's better to fight him on the bridge?

Still pretty scared of blocking lol basically how I used to play DS:

tumblr_n251ayYUWG1qi9ql7o1_400.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I tend not to do the drop attack because it fucks me over trying to get back up, unless it's better to fight him on the bridge?

Still pretty scared of blocking lol basically how I used to play DS:

tumblr_n251ayYUWG1qi9ql7o1_400.gif

Haha! Yeah, that's how I usually play too.

Definitely do the drop attack first. It staggers the demon longer than it takes you to recover and takes a huuuuge chunk of its health. And trust me, you can definitely block him with the Tower Kite Shield. I've done it and it looks awesome. Just don't take two consecutive hits and you'll be fine.

IN OTHER NEWS: I never apologised to the Phone Monkey, so my integrity remains untarnished! Huzzah!

Interestingly (or not), when she makes me coffee now she only fills the cup half way. What a mug.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I like how we have now have G&T Daps. It's like his evil alter-ego.

Erm. I FAILED!

I don't roll as much as I think I should. I'm basically playing a tank (although sometimes I do switch to really light armour if I'm being sneaky). I just love clobbering everything with my black knight sword. I tend to use a shield too, so I do lots of blocking / try and do parrying because it's so satisfying, and then bosh baddies around the head. I quite often switch to two handed as well and just keep my distance until an enemy commits themselves and then bosh around the head. I'm plotting tonights adventures already...I think the Valley of Drakes is a no-go just yet (although I killed the big Drake, the little ones are much trickier) so I'm going to go back through New Londo Ruins. I've got a wad of transient curses and also a sword which can hurt ghosts. I also know it pretty well, so I should be OK.

Oh and re Mrs Halfcup. Hahahaha! I hope it makes her feel powerful.

Reknoc

Dark souls and Witcher 2 have same things when comes to combat that is

Keep rollin rollin rollin rollin

MonHun as well. I didn't like the rolling in The Witcher 2 because it looked clunky and Witchers are supposed to be more agile, in the books they evade with a pirouette.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I like how we have now have G&T Daps. It's like his evil alter-ego.

Erm. I FAILED!

I don't roll as much as I think I should. I'm basically playing a tank (although sometimes I do switch to really light armour if I'm being sneaky). I just love clobbering everything with my black knight sword. I tend to use a shield too, so I do lots of blocking / try and do parrying because it's so satisfying, and then bosh baddies around the head. I quite often switch to two handed as well and just keep my distance until an enemy commits themselves and then bosh around the head. I'm plotting tonights adventures already...I think the Valley of Drakes is a no-go just yet (although I killed the big Drake, the little ones are much trickier) so I'm going to go back through New Londo Ruins. I've got a wad of transient curses and also a sword which can hurt ghosts. I also know it pretty well, so I should be OK.

I've always felt it's better to not be there when someone tries to hit you, in RL and Dark Souls. Speed is the key for me. Having said that, my current Rapier chick is way too delicate to take a face full (oo-er) of steel, which is going to be a BIG problem later on, I reckon. I'm currently working up the courage to take on the Gargoyles with just my little pig-sticker (oo-er).

Have you explored the bottom of Blighttown and rung the second bell yet? Just a warning: The boss in New Londo is extremely tricky, not just to fight but to even get to fight.

Oh and re Mrs Halfcup. Hahahaha! I hope it makes her feel powerful.

Can you believe she's pushing 60?

Hystzen

MonHun as well. I didn't like the rolling in The Witcher 2 because it looked clunky and Witchers are supposed to be more agile, in the books they evade with a pirouette.

If they copied how Witchers are from books then you be walking God as they OP as fuck. Hopefully 3 makes it slightly more fun.

Happy Birthday Musha watch them Dolphins

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've always felt it's better to not be there when someone tries to hit you, in RL and Dark Souls. Speed is the key for me. Having said that, my current Rapier chick is way too delicate to take a face full (oo-er) of steel, which is going to be a BIG problem later on, I reckon. I'm currently working up the courage to take on the Gargoyles with just my little pig-sticker (oo-er).

Have you explored the bottom of Blighttown and rung the second bell yet? Just a warning: The boss in New Londo is extremely tricky, not just to fight but to even get to fight.

Can you believe she's pushing 60?

Crazy. She should just let it go. There's no point hanging on to a grudge like that.

Spoilerrific!!!! I didn't know there was a second bell there. Or if I did, I got completely distracted as is usual by something over in the distance that looked interesting. I'd be angry but I'm not, really. The basin at Blighttown was on my list of places to go (I could see with my binoculars that there were some baddies with rocks that I haven't clobbered yet) but you've just sped things up. It's hard to find a balance. Like my idol Yahtzee says DS does depend on shared knowledge, but it's hard to get gentle guidance without someone telling you everything that's to come. But I know where I'm going now :) What pig-sticker? I liked using a spear/estoc with a shield but the damage is just so low. Wouldn't you need to ++++ it before it can kill anything big?

The_Poet

Banned
Crazy. She should just let it go. There's no point hanging on to a grudge like that.

Spoilerrific!!!! I didn't know there was a second bell there. Or if I did, I got completely distracted as is usual by something over in the distance that looked interesting. I'd be angry but I'm not, really. The basin at Blighttown was on my list of places to go (I could see with my binoculars that there were some baddies with rocks that I haven't clobbered yet) but you've just sped things up. It's hard to find a balance. Like my idol Yahtzee says DS does depend on shared knowledge, but it's hard to get gentle guidance without someone telling you everything that's to come. But I know where I'm going now :) What pig-sticker? I liked using a spear/estoc with a shield but the damage is just so low. Wouldn't you need to ++++ it before it can kill anything big?

"Well, since you're here... Let me help you out. There are actually two Bells of Awakening. One's up above, in the Undead Church. The other is far, far below, in the ruins at the base of Blighttown. Ring them both, and something happens... Brilliant, right?"
— Crestfallen Warrior
Guy sitting on the stone in chain-mail at firelink

Reknoc

If they copied how Witchers are from books then you be walking God as they OP as fuck. Hopefully 3 makes it slightly more fun.

Happy Birthday Musha watch them Dolphins

I'd be okay with that, I just set the difficulty to easy anyway, combat wasn't fun enough to deal with the hassle.

edit: snarky dude in the nexus >>>>>>> crestfallen warrior at the firelink

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
"Well, since you're here... Let me help you out. There are actually two Bells of Awakening. One's up above, in the Undead Church. The other is far, far below, in the ruins at the base of Blighttown. Ring them both, and something happens... Brilliant, right?"
— Crestfallen Warrior
Guy sitting on the stone in chain-mail at firelink

Thanks! Yes, I like that guy. I think he did mention that to me already. I keep forgetting these things. I just see a nice skybox and think "now I'm going to go over there". I've already been down in the Catacombs, killed all the big skeletons in the graveyard and been up to the bit in New Londo Ruins where there's a contraption I can't use yet.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Spoilerrific!!!! I didn't know there was a second bell there. Or if I did, I got completely distracted as is usual by something over in the distance that looked interesting. I'd be angry but I'm not, really.[/spoilers]
Ahhhh, no! The guy by the Firelink Shrine tells you all of it (see The_Poet's post). NPCs: exhaust that dialogue, yo!

The basin at Blighttown was on my list of places to go (I could see with my binoculars that there were some baddies with rocks that I haven't clobbered yet) but you've just sped things up. It's hard to find a balance. Like my idol Yahtzee says DS does depend on shared knowledge, but it's hard to get gentle guidance without someone telling you everything that's to come. But I know where I'm going now :) What pig-sticker? I liked using a spear/estoc with a shield but the damage is just so low. Wouldn't you need to ++++ it before it can kill anything big?

I didn't spoil! I swear! I thought you'd spoken to the Crestfallen Warrior!

Rapier and Estoc are my pig stickers. They do fuck all damage unless you Backstab or Riposte. It'll take me hours to kill them gargoyles. *sigh*

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ahhhh, no! The guy by the Firelink Shrine tells you all of it (see The_Poet's post). NPCs: exhaust that dialogue, yo!

I didn't spoil! I swear! I thought you'd spoken to the Crestfallen Warrior!

Rapier and Estoc are my pig stickers. They do fuck all damage unless you Backstab or Riposte. It'll take me hours to kill them gargoyles. *sigh*

I did speak to him, I swear! I just have no short-term / mid-term memory. I had to draw out a map because I kept forgetting where I was in the Depths. I think I'm going to do a Fez and start keeping notes. Love that stuff (insert nerd emoticon).

Reknoc

I think I'll start again, but stick with Knight get a fresher perspective on it. It's not like the Taurus Demon is a million miles away. Gotta remember to swap the shoulder buttons as well, really hate using LB/RB for primary as they're not nearly as comfortable to use as R1/L1 were.

Or maybe look into getting my DS4 set up on my PC (or play with my Qanba RAF lmao)

Kingdom Hearts is great tho.

edit: also S-E made Bravely Default and Bravely Second is out, at some point I guess.

wrong

I've heard too many complaints about BD's back half to bother playing it. Love the music but that's on Youtube so... not really gagging for the game itself over here.

Reknoc

wrong

I've heard too many complaints about BD's back half to bother playing it. Love the music but that's on Youtube so... not really gagging for the game itself over here.

Even with the bad end section its still a better RPG than most out there. Even with KH dumbshit story nothing beats wrecking a bunch of enemies shit with Goofy and Donald in your party.

I feel like maybe Persona fans should not throw stones when the only good RPG entry is the cross over with a better series ;)

Even with the bad end section its still a better RPG than most out there. Even with KH dumbshit story nothing beats wrecking a bunch of enemies shit with Goofy and Donald in your party.

I feel like maybe Persona fans should not throw stones when the only good RPG entry is the cross over with a better series ;)

all I'm getting from this post is "Kingdom Hearts is better than Persona 3 and 4"

bye

edit: actually I feel like I need to clarify: this is a bad opinion

also Kingdom Hearts 3 will never come out

Reknoc

all I'm getting from this post is "Kingdom Hearts is better than Persona 3 and 4"

bye

edit: actually I feel like I need to clarify: this is a bad opinion

also Kingdom Hearts 3 will never come out

Actually it was Persona Q (and Etrian Odyssey) is better than 3 and 4, and Bravely Default. KH is an action JRPG so not really comparable.

edit: and 2 and 1, come to think of it, especially 1 god that was awful.

Actually it was Persona Q (and Etrian Odyssey) is better than 3 and 4, and Bravely Default. KH is an action JRPG so not really comparable.

edit: and 2 and 1, come to think of it, especially 1 god that was awful.

yeah but you said PQ is the only good one, and you like KH ergo you think KH is better than Persona 3 and 4

it's logic innit

Son Of D

Oh god. JRPG talk. Thank fuck I'm traveling for the next few hours so I can check later and hopefully a decent topic of discussion is at hand. I don't hate JRPGs, I just hate the stupid pissing contests between fans of different franchises (or sometimes within the same franchise).

Thinking of asking a girl from uni out for a coffee once I'm back from Christmas hols.

It's all very exciting.
Do it. Don't think about it, just do it when you can.

time to ride this train of terrible discussion for the next 10 hours!!!

banofy, it's not exciting until you actually ask her, ya know.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Trains in the UK areextortionate, I'm going to have to spend £80 to go from portsmouth to london, to ashford, to portsmouth. The only reason it is so much is because from london to ashford international is fucking extortionate, it's literally the shortest journey I'll make in the quickest time and is the most expensive! FUCK YOU TRAIN PEOPLE, THE REST OF EUROPE ARE LAUGHING AT US!

railFares_200plus_3011942a.png

He hasn't socially alienated his peers vigorously and repeatedly enough for that.
lol
Kick a man when he's down. That's cool.

Can I get in on this, I'll buy some DMs just for the chance

Hystzen

Man I know the whole GAF hivemind is ban able but every year there is game you not allowed be negative about. We had last of us, dark souls and this year bayonetta2. Soon mention a fault about them get jumped on by everyone and this year the conspiracy that Bayonetta won't win GOTY because gaming journalists don't like Wii U etc. maybe your darling game is not good as you think

SmokyDave

Man I know the whole GAF hivemind is ban able but every year there is game you not allowed be negative about. We had last of us, dark souls and this year bayonetta2. Soon mention a fault about them get jumped on by everyone and this year the conspiracy that Bayonetta won't win GOTY because gaming journalists don't like Wii U etc. maybe your darling game is not good as you think
Watching Bayonetta 2 fans get increasingly frustrated and crestfallen is my Game of the Year.

I'm sure the game is fantastic but fuck me the fanbase is unbearable.

Symphonia

Banned
The same can be said for people jumping on someone for simply enjoying a game that the rest of GAF didn't like. Personal opinions are frowned upon, clearly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still haven't finished the first one so I have no opinion on Bayo2. Still in its wrapper. Busy playing Smash now.

But seriously, if no outlet mentions Love Live School Idol Festival then I think that is the true confirmation that the press is full of people with terrible opinions and they should all be made to publicly hang their heads in shame.

Top Bottom