• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
No. God why? Why? Seriously why? Why would you do this? Why?

I gave explanations!

I really, really enjoy bursts of Titanfall.

Destiny's an exploitative, dishonest mess but it addicted me more than cigarettes for a whole month.

to be honest, it's not been a great year for new games for me. I wish I could be all cool and discerning but those are the ones that stuck. Although it is the list of a numpty, I know that.

Reknoc

trying to read the steps to get my steam version of dark souls to be streamworks instead of GFWL and my eyes just keep glazing over. This is like a new Dark Souls boss.

Symphonia

Banned
I narrowed down my list and have chosen GTA V (PS4) as my personal GOTY. It might just be a remaster but Rockstar went above and beyond, adding a ton of new features to make it look and feel like a brand new game. The graphics are a sight for sore eyes, the gameplay is lightning fast, the soundtrack (both licensed and original) is amazing, and the multiplayer adds a whole new element to the game - it, in itself, feels like a game of it's own. I can't wait to see Rockstar's next title.

8bit

Knows the Score
I also had a fun few hours with Counterspy, it reminded me of Rolling Thunder a little and atmospherically it was spot on. Other than that, Alien did the atmosphere thing incredibly well too, but I spent most of the game hiding in cupboards.

Not sure if there was much else I'd give a nod to, PT, Mario Kart, Mario Golf & Sunset Overdrive are really the only other memorable games (that came out this year) for me this year.

--

edit

Oh, wait TxK was this year, no?

Edit: happy birthday musha.

Happy birthday Musha!

Happy Birthday Mush!

Happy birthday, Musha.

Oh, and happy birthday, Musha.

Happy BDay, Mush!

Happy Birthday Musha!

Happy Birthday Mushaaaaaaaaaa :D

Musha!

You share your birthday with such luminaries as author Jane Austen, composer Ludwig van Beethoven, science fiction genius Philip K Dick, space oddity Arthur C Clarke, dead comedian Bill Hicks, Lethal Weapon wunderkind Shane Black, and... Christopher Biggins.

Well done, you!

edit: oh, happy birthday Musha!

Hihihi.

Happy Birthday Musha.

Mushy birthday!

Hmm, that sounds kind of odd.

Happy Birthday!

Also, happy birthday Mush!

Congratulations on surviving another year on this planet Musha!

[Failed attempt at a witty birthday post]

Happy birthday Mush.

Dappy from N-Dubz Birthday Musha.

Happy Mushday, Birtha!

Happy birthday, Musha!

Happy Birthday Musha watch them Dolphins

Thanks guys!

Having the best birthday ever in Magic Kingdom Disney World Orlando. Perfectly clear blue sky, bright sunshine, 75-80F, awesome rides, and I'm wearing a birthday badge so everyone is wishing me a happy birthday.

Hystzen

GOTY brief version

1. dragon Age

2. X-com :enemy within

3. Dynasty warriors 8: XL complete

4. Banner saga

5. Final fantasy XIV : Realm Reborn

Remaster of year - Metro Redux

SuperSah

Banned
I had my interview with York. It was pretty good. It was very relaxed and even the interviewer and I exchanged some laughs.

He seemed very content with my answers, nodding, smiling and expressing interest, so fingers crossed!

...then I go to get my train which was delayed by over an hour due to some dude jumping into a train in Durham, leaving utter, complete chaos in the station.

Had to stand there for almost two hours in the cold and I can barely feel my feet right now.

Other than that, pretty decent day.

Volotaire

I had my interview with York. It was pretty good. It was very relaxed and even the interviewer and I exchanged some laughs.

He seemed very content with my answers, nodding, smiling and expressing interest, so fingers crossed!

...then I go to get my train which was delayed by over an hour due to some dude jumping into a train in Durham, leaving utter, complete chaos in the station.

Had to stand there for almost two hours in the cold and I can barely feel my feet right now.

Well done! Hope you get the place.

Symphonia

Banned

I'm still pissed you chose York over Birmingham.

Joking, pal. Glad it went well. Hope you get in!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Good luck!!

-

8bit - TxK was this year.

Reknoc

Yea! Suck my dick Taurus Demon, but don't because I guess that's necrophilia because you're dead. Turns out blocking actually is a viable skill and losing dodge isn't that big of a deal who woulda thunk.

Now to go back to dreading my rematch with Goatface Killah.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yea! Suck my dick Taurus Demon, but don't because I guess that's necrophilia because you're dead. Turns out blocking actually is a viable skill and losing dodge isn't that big of a deal who woulda thunk.

Now to go back to dreading my rematch with Goatface Killah.

The guy in the little courtyard?

Because I'm a really sensitive girly type I felt bad about my GOTY list but I've just been playing Titanfall again and I think it's fab. MVP = sploatee 😄 maybe those 150 hours in Destiny paid off.

I hate the super USA USA ness that MS slip into and if Titanfall had a campaign (ho ho) it'd probably put me off. But I just have to become a big Coldplay fan and listen to U2 on my iPod touch and accept that every time I play it I have a great time.

Hope it goes well for you! What subject was it again?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yea, hate that guy only time I raged at Dark Souls.

So different for different players. He was OK for me. The way I did it was
to use the stairs. Take out the dogs quick sharp and then you can use the stairs to take a breather and quaff some estus.

Hi! Giant spider lady! Oh.

Edit- someone just invaded me! I beat them!

Reknoc

Uh... me?

I don't believe you!

to use the stairs. Take out the dogs quick sharp and then you can use the stairs to take a breather and quaff some estus.

Yea, that never worked for me, something always caught me and I just got wrecked. Feel pretty good about it now though since I'm not a squishy mage.

Reknoc

Got my New Year plans sorted. What has everyone got planned to see out 2014?

Nothing, I don't really care about celebrating New Years. The only reason I'm even awake for it is because I'm usually awake at that time when I have nothing better to do the next day.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
To be fair, that's a pretty wise policy.

Nice one! I never win.

I'm staying in with my boys: Fuck and All.

It were crazy! I'm sorry to stink up again 😕 but this is the best big game I've played since Metroid Prime. I get the same mix of anticipation and dread from the bosses. With that and Ikaruga and Titanfall I just want to say

GAMEz ARE GR8 YAYYYYYYY LETS REMEMBER WHY WE ARE ALL HERE AND THATS GAMES YAAAAYYYYYN!

also 3 more working days.

NYE - were going to Bem Brazil in the aft. Can't do much in the eve because of Emma's illness but stay in, drink rekorderlig, have a cuddle and stuff and maybe let the Guinea pigs sit on us while we watch tv.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I hate New Years Eve. I'll be with the parents, so hopefully playing a new PS4 :/ Maybe bake a cake using ridiculous ingredients that I don't have to pay for.

Watch Black Mirror: White Christmas, everyone!

Symphonia

Banned
Absolutely nothing. Missus is working NYE 9-5, so we're not travelling anywhere as usual. Guess a night of some booze and the telly.
I worked out I'm having 23rd to NYE off, and work for a few hours on the day but finish earlier than normal. I'm then off into Brum to meet up with someone, then go back to theirs for dinner, drinks, a film a game or two to see in 2015. Much better than my original plan of locking myself in my bedroom and masturbating while crying heavily into my pillow.

NinjaBoiX

Working at the club, but that's just fine and dandy with me. I should make about £200 (double time and mad tips), get hammered for free and have a laugh with some mates. Plus, Toddla T is playing again, bonus.

(He's a mint DJ Cy, and what a great name eh?)

SuperSah

Banned
I just got home and holy fuck was that a mission.

Eleven forms of transport in a single day. I'm done, my bed needs me.

Night guys.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Went into Affleck's Palace for the first time in like 15 years today. Need to go back to do some proper shopping some time.

NinjaBoiX

CHEEZMO™;143623696 said:
Went into Affleck's Palace for the first time in like 15 years today. Need to go back to do some proper shopping some time.
Love Affleck's man, it's awesome. I could spend a day in that place, no problem. Sammy got a lush coat there at the weekend, she was in her element, I basically had to drag her out of there!

Nothing yet, hoping someone will decide they want a few drinks at their place or invite some mates to mine. Can't handle Liverpool City Centre on New Years Eve it's like living in that video log from Event Horizon.

5. Metal Gear Solid 5 : Ground Zeroes ; Length isn't everything. I may not have enjoyed replaying the side missions too much, but the base mission was atmospheric, eerie and intense. The way - and the extent to which - it indirectly referenced Guantanamo Bay was braver than anything else I've played this year and gave the mission an intensity and relevance far beyond the other Metal Gear Solid games I've played. It looked beautiful, too, and had the best use of a song in a game I've seen this year (or maybe ever).

I used to really like the MGS games, 1 and 2 were amazing. 3 was kind of so-so for me but everything after that I just feel like Kojima needs to hire an editor. The story and dialogue are just so over-written and in places, just plain awful. Then there's this weird thing that I can only recall in Kojima games. During a conversation they'll gloss over terms/plot points/characters who if you're not DEEP into the lore of the game you might be like 'huh?' but will belabour the ever-loving crap out of obvious terminology.

"Snake...that looks like some kind of AI"
"AI?"
"Yes Snake it stands for 'Artificial Intelligence'. The intelligence exhibited by machines or software. It is an academic field of study which studies the goal of creating intelligence. Major AI researchers and textbooks define this field as "the study and design of intelligent agents", where an intelligent agent is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chances of success. John McCarthy, who coined the term in 1955, defines it as "the science and engineering of making intelligent machines"
"I see"
"The LaLeLuLiLo use it to enact Patrior Protocols which activate PLOP nano-particles"
"Got it."

Symphonia

Banned
Nothing yet, hoping someone will decide they want a few drinks at their place or invite some mates to mine. Can't handle Liverpool City Centre on New Years Eve it's like living in that video log from Event Horizon.
Went up Liverpool a few years ago, absolutely loved it. So much diversity on a night out. The majority of people up there are genuinely friendly, too, which helps. I can imagine it being rammed on New Year's and Christmas.

SmokyDave

I can't compose a GOTY list. For whatever reason, I'm shit at whittling down to ten titles and I play so many games there'd be tons I'd forget.

Pretty sure Forza Horizon 2 or Rogue Legacy would take the top spot if I do get one sorted though.

Went up Liverpool a few years ago, absolutely loved it. So much diversity on a night out. The majority of people up there are genuinely friendly, too, which helps. I can imagine it being rammed on New Year's and Christmas.

It is insanely rammed. Exacerbated by the way the centre itself is so compact and most of the bars are very close together, something that's a plus the rest of the year.

Plus there's bouncers shaking 'donation' buckets outside every bar and club except it's not a donation because unless you put money in you don't get in. So it's just Festive Extortion.

It's a much friendlier night out now than it was during my teenage years but the sight of the way some chavs dress is still both hilarious and depressing.

Reknoc

Hm, I haven't played Destiny at all since unlocking the 2nd planet, Venus or whatever, the shooting is good (I didn't expect that since I'm not the biggest fan of Halo) but everything else is so shit I just decided to reinstall Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst and play that.

Sort of a delayed post on that one since I was thinking about it as I was busy sticking my battle axe up a boars bum.

Edit- someone just invaded me! I beat them!

The [insert a tonne of obscene words here] Capra Demon was my nemesis for a while. I almost beat him on my first attempt (one more hit I believe) so I thought it would be nice and easy on my second attempt; how wrong I was. It snowballed into a real problem in the end for some reason.

I beat some other bosses easily. It is always interesting to read other people's experiences with these enemies and how their experience can be so different.

It were crazy! I'm sorry to stink up again �� but this is the best big game I've played since Metroid Prime. I get the same mix of anticipation and dread from the bosses. With that and Ikaruga and Titanfall I just want to say

GAMEz ARE GR8 YAYYYYYYY LETS REMEMBER WHY WE ARE ALL HERE AND THATS GAMES YAAAAYYYYYN!

also 3 more working days.

NYE - were going to Bem Brazil in the aft. Can't do much in the eve because of Emma's illness but stay in, drink rekorderlig, have a cuddle and stuff and maybe let the Guinea pigs sit on us while we watch tv.

What are your guinea pigs names?

I don't bother with New Years Eve. It is just a date change. A couple of years ago I didn't even know the time had ticked over as I was playing a game with some headphones in. I will be next to my African Grey parrot watching TV or playing a game I expect. He can cuss his head off at the commotions outside.

I want to get up early and be fresh on 1st January and I take exception to being kept awake by idiots with pots and pans; every year the same morons in the street will insist on this. I might go out at 8am on the 1st and bang some pots myself so they know what it is like!

I hate New Years Eve. I'll be with the parents, so hopefully playing a new PS4 :/ Maybe bake a cake using ridiculous ingredients that I don't have to pay for.

Watch Black Mirror: White Christmas, everyone!

Do you know what? Baking a cake sounds like a pretty good idea and I might just do that. I am useless at these things but it would be a novel way of spending 31/12.

I recorded Black Mirror last night and am looking forward to watching it tonight or tomorrow.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The [insert a tonne of obscene words here] Capra Demon was my nemesis for a while. I almost beat him on my first attempt (one more hit I believe) so I thought it would be nice and easy on my second attempt; how wrong I was. It snowballed into a real problem in the end for some reason.

I beat some other bosses easily. It is always interesting to read other people's experiences with these enemies and how their experience can be so different.

What are your guinea pigs names?

I don't bother with New Years Eve. It is just a date change. A couple of years ago I didn't even know the time had ticked over as I was playing a game with some headphones in. I will be next to my African Grey parrot watching TV or playing a game I expect. He can cuss his head off at the commotions outside.

I want to get up early and be fresh on 1st January and I take exception to being kept awake by idiots with pots and pans; every year the same morons in the street will insist on this. I might go out at 8am on the 1st and bang some pots myself so they know what it is like!

Do you know what? Baking a cake sounds like a pretty good idea and I might just do that. I am useless at these things but it would be a novel way of spending 31/12.

I recorded Black Mirror last night and am looking forward to watching it tonight or tomorrow.

I always feel a sense of emptiness after NYE. It's like everyone in society is saying "be happy now! Drink drink drink!" and I just react badly to that kind of thing.

Dark Souls-wise I'm having trouble with Quelaag. I feel like I'm just not good enough to beat her and am thinking of trying Gears of War for a break from Soulsing. But at the same time I want to see what's next. Hmm.

Guinea pig-wise, I'm glad you asked! We love them very much. There's Dr Herbert Grey (or Grey for short) who is a little pudding. He likes basil, is fairly dominant, very very lazy and prefers mostly to sleep. His friend is Mr Frank Fransciscus Hubert Humbert Marcellus Duc d'Orange (or Orange for short) who is descended from French royalty. He's inquisitive, playful, easily frightened and very excitable. He also gets very excited when Grey dominates him and squeaks and popcorns everywhere. I feel I've bonded more with him than Grey and Emma's bonded more with Grey.

I used to really like the MGS games, 1 and 2 were amazing. 3 was kind of so-so for me but everything after that I just feel like Kojima needs to hire an editor. The story and dialogue are just so over-written and in places, just plain awful. Then there's this weird thing that I can only recall in Kojima games. During a conversation they'll gloss over terms/plot points/characters who if you're not DEEP into the lore of the game you might be like 'huh?' but will belabour the ever-loving crap out of obvious terminology.

i absolutely love what metal gear solid, as a series, strives for and despite problems i have with his delivery I think kojima is an important voice in the industry. my main issues are the need of an editor, his script is so bloated most of the time, and his falling to anime/videogame cheesecake awfulness sometimes. having to hear that 'there's a perfectly reasonable explanation behind a sniper wearing a bikini in the middle east' over and over as a knee-jerk defense for some godawful character design actually puts me off playing the damn thing. some of the decisions; the hunour (diarrhoea guffaw!), the titilation and the character designs are just gauche and, in my opinion, actively harm what are often intelligent ruminations on videogames as a medium and the post-internet society we live in.
uh anyway, estate agents are dumb and black mirror was great.

Top Bottom