• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Volotaire

Hello BritGAF!
Hopefully you won't get mad at me for invading your thread and posting here, because I'm not British (actually German), but I'm quite desperate so I really hope. you could help me here.
For my studies I'm currently enlisted in a British Culture/Literature class and next Wednesday I need to give a 10 min. presentation on a topic in relation to British Culture and Literature, of course. I don't mind giving speeches and presentations in front of people, etc. but I haven't found a topic yet, which makes me really depressed. I'm interested in the history of British Cinema, however it's way to extensive to talk about in 10 minutes tops... and also hearing about some classmates tackling very serious topics like "Education Gap in Britain" and "The Scottish Referendum" isn't helping either.
I hope some of you nice Brits would be kind enough to help me in finding a fitting topic.
Thanks in advance and again sorry for me posting here! =(

Maybe I'm being a bit economic and historical here, but here are a few.

- Why Britain was the first to industrialise in the 19th century and its subsequent deindustrialization in the 20th?
- The importance of central banking of Britain relative to the world before the 1920's,
- decline of competivness relative to ROW,
- the evolution of British common law (in time for the Magna Carta anniversary which is happening now and with the new refreshed global concerns on liberty).

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hello BritGAF!
Hopefully you won't get mad at me for invading your thread and posting here, because I'm not British (actually German), but I'm quite desperate so I really hope. you could help me here.
For my studies I'm currently enlisted in a British Culture/Literature class and next Wednesday I need to give a 10 min. presentation on a topic in relation to British Culture and Literature, of course. I don't mind giving speeches and presentations in front of people, etc. but I haven't found a topic yet, which makes me really depressed. I'm interested in the history of British Cinema, however it's way to extensive to talk about in 10 minutes tops... and also hearing about some classmates tackling very serious topics like "Education Gap in Britain" and "The Scottish Referendum" isn't helping either.
I hope some of you nice Brits would be kind enough to help me in finding a fitting topic.

Guten Nachmittag Fuchs,

I think you have your topic already. Stick with British Cinema. It'll be way easier selecting 10 mins out of what you know rather than trying to bring out 10 mins from what you don't.

If not that, then at least steer clear of politics (education gap/referendum etc). How about something like decline of the humourous novel from Jerome K Jerome through P G Wodehouse to Ben Elton?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why are people so uptight about the Americanism of ass being used over arse and yet no one blinked an eye when jail overtook gaol?

Hystzen

Finally set up a sub for Final Fantasy: XIV PS4

Back down the hole I go maybe I create a new character and get a tank ready for Dark Knight in Heavensward expansion

Fuchs

Thanks for your great suggestions everyone!

The change in food culture since the end of ww2 has been pretty dramatic and interesting.

Yeah, this sounds interesting indeed. Only had the time to do a quick google search, but haven't found anything/a lot regarding this certain topic.

- Why Britain was the first to industrialise in the 19th century and its subsequent deindustrialization in the 20th?

A classic topic, but it's defintely the easiest one to research.

- decline of competivness relative to ROW,

Excuse my ignorance, but what does ROW mean?

Guten Nachmittag Fuchs,

I think you have your topic already. Stick with British Cinema. It'll be way easier selecting 10 mins out of what you know rather than trying to bring out 10 mins from what you don't.

I was thinking the same thing actually, but the British Cinema in general is a huge topic I won't be able to cover as a whole in 10 minutes. Any suggestions about an interesting time period or theme?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking the same thing actually, but the British Cinema in general is a huge topic I won't be able to cover as a whole in 10 minutes. Any suggestions about an interesting time period or theme?

Ealing-era is pretty interesting. Hammer Horror too.

I don't like Top Gear. But then I don't have a TV.

I fucking don't.

I don't really like Top Gear either. And I wouldn't call myself a comedian.

It was but a ruse! A ruse intended to annoy! And you were all caught in my wicked snare like ants in honey!

fbKN6eN.gif

Volotaire

Thanks for your great suggestions everyone!

Yeah, this sounds interesting indeed. Only had the time to do a quick google search, but haven't found anything/a lot regarding this certain topic.

A classic topic, but it's defintely the easiest one to research.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does ROW mean?

Just shorthand for Rest of the World. Really, it I should have said developing economies/Asian TIGERS.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Yeah, this sounds interesting indeed. Only had the time to do a quick google search, but haven't found anything/a lot regarding t was thinking the same thing actually, but the British Cinema in general is a huge topic I won't be able to cover as a whole in 10 minutes. Any suggestions about an interesting time period or theme?

1950s maybe? Decline of Powell & Pressburger and Ealing comedies, rise of Hammer horror.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Hello BritGAF!
Looking at your username, it reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lSwwqDpoVc

Regarding your question about British Cinema, you could make a topic about the censorship of films throughout. I was listening to a BBC Radio programme a few months back regarding the relevance of the BBFC in this day and age, which I would feel could make an interesting footnote. It's here if you want it, that is if you're able to listen to in your country. I can at least (I'm Irish).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04grl95

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
What are you playing at the moment, BritGAF?

My current inventory/ itinerary / other word is:

Grim Fandango which I am finding incredibly, incredibly difficult. I don't think I've figured out how to get past the first area yet. Lovely voices though.

Lumines (still) because it's just so engrossing. Perfect at lunchtimes because it takes me totally out of wherever I am and how I am feeling.

Hashtag Driveclub is still holding my attention, which is really weird. The more I play it, the more I like it. Obviously the graphics are frighteningly real. But it's the sense of speed and momentum that just keeps me playing. It's so much fun to go really, really fast and then a bit of brake and take off the accelerator and glide round corners. Top Gear woo!

Titanfall (still) as well. Which is very weird too, given my attention span is less than that of a fly. But it's still fun and I'm still p0wNinG NooBsxX. Some of the usernames I see though, blimey. XstreamX, MohikanXKilleR...I left the unmute on by mistake and realised I was playing with a bunch of 13 year old boys and panicked and quickly MUTE MUTE MUTE!

and still Half-Life 2. I'm somewhere in Nova Prospekt.. I like walking around the flat saying "Civil. Protection. Team." The sound, mans! The sound!

Come on, regale me. What are you playing?

Oh I tried the Hardline Beta too. It's OK. I just don't like having to wait so long to respawn. It makes no sense. In Titanfall you die and you're back in about 2 or 3 seconds. It helps keep the flow going. I think the break between spawns is why I quit playing Ghosts. That break just severs the game flow and induces rage.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just finished all the Uncharted games. 2 was my favorite but they were all charming in their own way. Kinda need a break from cover-based shooters now though. Just recently started Dues Ex: Human Revolution. Said "fuck it" and selected "Give Me Dues Ex" difficulty (presumably hard mode). It's been fun so far as I'm not very far but I don't plan to level any combat abilities, trying to play it as a straight stealth / hacker build with maybe some persuasion. Really enjoying the vibe and music of the game, as well as rather mundane things like snooping into people's emails and stealing credits out of random desks.

8bit

Knows the Score
Not playing much, I'm busy at work. Which is good though.

Have been playing (Super Ultra) Dead Rising 3 (Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha) which is kind of amazing as I expected DR3 to be a bit rubbish yet the game not only nails the Carpenterish atmosphere in a totally unexpected way but also provides a super arcadey version of the game which is wonderful.

Other than that, dipping toes into Elite Dangerous but that's been a bit "what do the controls do, oh wait I've shot a policeman." so needs more investment.

And This War of Mine, but that's a bit depressing. In a fun way.

Oh, and Lyne / Where's My XYY? on mobile.

RiggyRob

Just finished Ocarina of GOAT/ GOATerina of Time 3D - briefly considered going for 100% but when I saw I only had 60 out of 100 Skulltulas, plus you only get a 200 rupee reward for it, I decided not to waste my time. I've stuck Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright in my 3DS but haven't progressed very far with it.

Finally got my hands on Captain Toad and I loved the way it doesn't mess about - first boot-up, straight into the game, and there's a minimal menu where you can choose from the game and the bonus book you get for having Super Mario 3D World save data. The puzzle worlds are cool, and it's almost mandatory to play each level twice so you can complete the hidden objective the second time round - the first boss fight was interesting in that it's unorthodox, and the game is very cutesy
(rrrrrready for adventure!)

Just got to Valak Mountain in Xenoblade, after the
Fiora is alive and inside the Nemesis Mechon
reveal - it's a fantastic game all things considered, and judging by the levels of the characters I'm not even halfway through it yet. I might regret trying to 100% this one but I'm enjoying all the sub quests, especially the more interesting ones that affect the named NPCs' behaviour/affinity.

Finally, Breath of Fire - it's an interesting old school RPG, but it's got a few features that wouldn't be out of place of a modern one - the trade-in system to swap equipment out for better versions for a lower fee is great and the ability to change who is leading the party to change how you travel or interact with people is something that actually stumped me for a while (e.g you need to use Bo to travel through the woodlands and pressing A fires arrows to kill the woodland creatures you find dotted around), so it's nice to be able to switch between that and Xenoblade.

Fuchs

Looking at your username, it reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lSwwqDpoVc

Haha! Yep, that's exactly the reason I picked this username!

Regarding your question about British Cinema, you could make a topic about the censorship of films throughout. I was listening to a BBC Radio programme a few months back regarding the relevance of the BBFC in this day and age, which I would feel could make an interesting footnote. It's here if you want it, that is if you're able to listen to in your country. I can at least (I'm Irish).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04grl95

This is incredibly interesting imo, but still very extensive though...
Well, I think I'm going to pick censorship of British cinema and controversities as my topic. I hope I'll find some useful sources =/

Wish me luck, BritGaf!

Edit: And also thanks again for your helpful responses!

I was playing Guacamelee, which was absolutely tremendous all the way to the final form of the final boss when it got a bit bullshit. I'm not sure I'll even finish it now.

Aside from that, I still play Theatrhythm and Spelunky every day, and I've just got a little bit hooked on Rogue Legacy - at least for now - I'm not sure it has much staying power. I've got a ten-hour save file on Bravely Default that I really need to go back to as well, that thing's taking up half the space on my SD card.

Reknoc

Alice: Madness Returns. Love this game, played it when it first came out but never completed it because it is TOO LONG. Like, the game itself is just above average but everything else it does is fantastic, love the artstyle so much, it's just eventually it starts to overstay its welcome a little. Playing it on the PC now though as opposed to the PS3 version I played origianlly, that PhysX, hair physics and skirt physics.

Have been playing (Super Ultra) Dead Rising 3 (Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha) which is kind of amazing as I expected DR3 to be a bit rubbish yet the game not only nails the Carpenterish atmosphere in a totally unexpected way but also provides a super arcadey version of the game which is wonderful.

Jelly. Wish this would come out on PC, even though finding out it's stage based made me lose interest a little. The main game itself is surprisingly good though, it's still the same good Dead Rising, it's just uglier, and the main character is really bland.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

This week I have mostly been playing Dragon's Dogma. The boss/mini-boss battles are absolutely spot on. Spectacular things happen when you bump into a griffin. I can absolutely see it working with MMO trappings (not the micro transactions). The endgame blows most RPGs out of the water.

I've been hitting Ground Zeroes too, trying to up my game. I've put way more hours into it than I thought I'd get and it still manages to surprise.

Danj

Jelly. Wish this would come out on PC, even though finding out it's stage based made me lose interest a little. The main game itself is surprisingly good though, it's still the same good Dead Rising, it's just uglier, and the main character is really bland.

Your wish is granted though you missed the price mistake several months ago where (online store, nothing to do with the anti-feminist movement) GamersGate was letting people get it for free.

The_Poet

Banned
Fuck buses in general.

I've been playing way too much Dota 2 recently. Its just so good to have a 'complete' gaming experience all within a 40 minute game. Strategy, RPG elements, co-ordination, item management, reactions all come into play heavily. Leaves me satisfied
because I wank while I play

Since I only have a couple hours a day to play games I find that playing a 15+ hour story game takes way too long and it loses its flow so much that I get bored pretty quickly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Dragon Quest VI. Got at Argos the other day for £3.

Oh, and my bus journey to work today was surprisingly painless, but I bet like last time I'll be waiting ages for one on the way home.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Great reading what everyone is playing!

Just finished Ocarina of GOAT/ GOATerina of Time 3D - briefly considered going for 100% but when I saw I only had 60 out of 100 Skulltulas, plus you only get a 200 rupee reward for it, I decided not to waste my time. I've stuck Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright in my 3DS but haven't progressed very far with it.

Finally got my hands on Captain Toad and I loved the way it doesn't mess about - first boot-up, straight into the game, and there's a minimal menu where you can choose from the game and the bonus book you get for having Super Mario 3D World save data. The puzzle worlds are cool, and it's almost mandatory to play each level twice so you can complete the hidden objective the second time round - the first boss fight was interesting in that it's unorthodox, and the game is very cutesy
(rrrrrready for adventure!)

Just got to Valak Mountain in Xenoblade, after the
Fiora is alive and inside the Nemesis Mechon
reveal - it's a fantastic game all things considered, and judging by the levels of the characters I'm not even halfway through it yet. I might regret trying to 100% this one but I'm enjoying all the sub quests, especially the more interesting ones that affect the named NPCs' behaviour/affinity.

Finally, Breath of Fire - it's an interesting old school RPG, but it's got a few features that wouldn't be out of place of a modern one - the trade-in system to swap equipment out for better versions for a lower fee is great and the ability to change who is leading the party to change how you travel or interact with people is something that actually stumped me for a while (e.g you need to use Bo to travel through the woodlands and pressing A fires arrows to kill the woodland creatures you find dotted around), so it's nice to be able to switch between that and Xenoblade.

We are like exact opposites.

I also think Ocarina isn't that great. I know 'why' it's great, I mean, I understand all of the game theory / academic reasons, but it's just another challenge-free / time-served game to me. With added Nintendo plot shallowness. If people are taking goats, I think Civilization is a better game by a factor of 6.3. I think Doom is better, too. Dark Souls feels like Zelda for adults and is better by a factor of 9.7.

I will give you Metroid Prime though. I've just downloaded the Trilogy and am looking forward to playing them through.

This week I have mostly been playing Dragon's Dogma. The boss/mini-boss battles are absolutely spot on. Spectacular things happen when you bump into a griffin. I can absolutely see it working with MMO trappings (not the micro transactions). The endgame blows most RPGs out of the water.

I've been hitting Ground Zeroes too, trying to up my game. I've put way more hours into it than I thought I'd get and it still manages to surprise.

Ground Zeroes is my favourite MGS game. The start and end of that game were breathtaking. That and MGS2 are spellbinding. Never really liked MGS3.

i am playing both demon's souls and life is strange but not really putting much time into either because of life n whatnot.
felt almost invincible during the first few hours of demon's souls because of my past experience but now it is all Hard and Mulitple Paths.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OoT is considered great because of what it achieved at release.
But Majora's Mask is better for character and world building.
Wind Waker is better for exploration.
Twilight Princess is better for dungeons.
Skyward Sword is better for story.
(looking at things very simply with broad strokes)

OoT strength is that it is an all around good Zelda since it basically laid out a template. I also feel it has aged well (my opinion of it improved with the 3DS remake as I used to be far more critical of it) and can still act as a good introduction to 3D Zelda games for newcomers.

When it comes to the greats of videogames I think one doesn't necessarily ask whether it is a favourite game of theirs but what it contributed to the gaming landscape. A bit like how GoldenEye 64 is rather dated now but one cannot deny its impact on the console FPS landscape and multiplayer (also the mission based structure is still better than the linear cinematic experience a lot of FPSs strive for today).

NinjaBoiX

I'm not playing anything, as usual.
Tried the Hardline Beta too. It's OK. I just don't like having to wait so long to respawn. It makes no sense. In Titanfall you die and you're back in about 2 or 3 seconds. It helps keep the flow going. I think the break between spawns is why I quit playing Ghosts. That break just severs the game flow and induces rage.
Nah man, it makes total sense! It's so you actually gain an advantage by killing someone rather than just scoring points. In Battlefield, going to capture a point and killing any enemies holding it means that you have some breathing space for a minute or so while they wait to respawn and make their way back.

Instant respawns, while immediately gratifying, often kind of break multiplayer games IMO, killing someone in CoD only to be killed by them seconds later is super lame.

Reknoc

OoT is probably the most balanced of the 3D Zeldas, it has a good amount of dungeons and sub dungeons that no other game has really bothered to have, with a reasonable lean towards puzzles. it doesn't have any especially intrusive gimmicks like sailing or the twilight realm. At the same time though, Hyrule Field is a chore to traverse, the dungeons are all pretty easy, none of the items are really interesting even if they do generally all have a use.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Failing to balance a relationship, friendships and work well... Might break up with gf to save own skin, don't want to though because I like her and I think it might not help anything

Halp

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Failing to balance a relationship, friendships and work well... Might break up with gf to save own skin, don't want to though because I like her and I think it might not help anything

Halp

Watch anime, get a waifu and shut yourself off from reality.

NinjaBoiX

Halp
I know that feel bro, not sure I'm the best person to ask though! I'm in a quandary with the lady at the minute too, she can be absolutely adorable but then out of nowhere be a complete and utter cunt. I told her we were done the night before my birthday after she went into mega cunt mode, then decided to forgive her after apoligies and stuff. Now we're "having some space", not sure if I want to persevere though.

I was talking to Maz about it last night, she basically stated the obvious that you've just got to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if it's worth your time and effort.

The little lady's con pile is really stacking up lately...

Edit: sorry, some more actually relevant advice, I'd say she's probably taking up a lot of your time and energy, even if you don't realise it. If you need to free up some mind space I'd say the GF is the first thing to go. Sorry bro.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was talking to Maz about it last night, she basically stated the obvious that you've just got to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if it's worth your time and effort.

The little lady's con pile is really stacking up lately...

Ask her what her favourite Pokémon is. It'll tell you everything you need to know.

SKINNER!

Banned

Halp

Ditch the girlfriend and go become the greatest drummer the world has ever seen.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
OoT is considered great because of what it achieved at release.
But Majora's Mask is better for character and world building.
Wind Waker is better for exploration.
Twilight Princess is better for dungeons.
Skyward Sword is better for story.
(looking at things very simply with broad strokes)

OoT strength is that it is an all around good Zelda since it basically laid out a template. I also feel it has aged well (my opinion of it improved with the 3DS remake as I used to be far more critical of it) and can still act as a good introduction to 3D Zelda games for newcomers.

When it comes to the greats of videogames I think one doesn't necessarily ask whether it is a favourite game of theirs but what it contributed to the gaming landscape. A bit like how GoldenEye 64 is rather dated now but one cannot deny its impact on the console FPS landscape and multiplayer (also the mission based structure is still better than the linear cinematic experience a lot of FPSs strive for today).

I know what you mean. I think that sometimes I forget that there's a different between a game being historically significant and actually being good to play in a subjective sense.

I played Ocarina at the time on the n64. It was OK. I remember liking the final boss fight, but (even with the Edge 10) I just didn't connect with it on a gut level. The same goes for Mario 64. Same with Halo.

I don't know I am just contrary or if excessive consensus actually puts me off a game. It doesnt help that I can genuinely truly love something while I play it and feel deflated and "eh, that it?" when I finish it.

But Um yeah. Where was I? Nintendo games - sorry, most Nintendo games just don't give me that intensity that I crave in entertainment. They all seem very very low intensity, quite casual, overbearing in how accessible they are. Metroid Prime is an exception and I'm hoping that its sequels will be too. There are probably other exceptions too - mostly from the GameCube era.

I'm not playing anything, as usual.

Nah man, it makes total sense! It's so you actually gain an advantage by killing someone rather than just scoring points. In Battlefield, going to capture a point and killing any enemies holding it means that you have some breathing space for a minute or so while they wait to respawn and make their way back.

Instant respawns, while immediately gratifying, often kind of break multiplayer games IMO, killing someone in CoD only to be killed by them seconds later is super lame.

Ah. I felt even CoD had too long a break between spawns! I can see that making sense in Battlefield. Might just be that it's not for me. I think I prefer more speed rather than tactics.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I played Ocarina at the time on the n64. It was OK. I remember liking the final boss fight, but (even with the Edge 10) I just didn't connect with it on a gut level. The same goes for Mario 64. Same with Halo.

The first time I played OoT proper was on the GameCube (I sometimes borrowed my friend's N64 and game but never really got further than the fire temple before I gave it back) after I beat Wind Waker so I went in with really high expectations, since I had been bombarded with all the praise it had received over the year, which it was never going to deliver on. I even gave up part way through the Spirit Temple and forced myself to beat it. I think I tried rushing through it so I never really took anything in and hit the point where I was wanted to see the ending. So I was pretty down on it for years. Finally with the 3DS re-release I decided to give it another go with a more open mind and enjoyed it a lot more. But like I said, I find the other 3D title superior in various regards (though I'd have to give Skyward Sword another go to firmly establish an opinion of it).

H1PSTER

First time here, I had to do this right?

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc)

Nottingham, but of Scottish and Irish descent.

What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to?

Graduate, no job... Sadface.

What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end?

To be successful in work and play a shedton of video games.

Favourite daytime TV show?

Homes Under The Hammer.

Fish or chips?

F...Fish?

Daddy or chips?

Chips.

What's your tipple of choice?

Dark ale.

Favourite party snack?

Part Rings!

Who is the best bald person?

Sir Ben Kingsley.

What's your disappointing claim to fame?

I used to be in an awful band.

What's your perfect Sunday?

The one with a roast in.

Did you threaten to overrule him?

I did whatever I could with the resources to aid the situation.

Did you threaten to overrule him?

I found that with what I was doing it was helping the establishment.

It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him?

N-No?

Top Bottom