• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Rich!

Quick question for tax aware GAF

Ive only earnt a measely £5k so far this financial year due to various reasons and leaving my old job back in October. I've earnt nothing since until I start getting paid for my new job this friday onwards.

My tax code is 1000L which means 10k earning before tax. I'm nowhere near that of course. So...am I going to be free from tax and NI for the rest of the financial year? Or will they still tax me and I will have to claim for a rebate?

I'm earning £1.6k a month now before tax, so even considering that, I still won't pass the 10k limit before April's end of the FY...

And having no tax for the next three months will be lovely

Not entirely sure if what I'm guessing is what will happen though, I don't know much about how all this tax stuff works

Would I be able to claim tax back for the amount I've paid so far since last april? Because I assume if I don't hit past 10k this FY, I'm entitled to it all back, yeah?

You'll get taxed and get a rebate. You won't have to claim it though, unless stuff's changed.

I had no idea about that a few years ago, and then one day I got a cheque in the post completely out of the blue for nearly a thousand quid. That was a good day.

Rich!

You'll get taxed and get a rebate. You won't have to claim it though, unless stuff's changed.

I had no idea about that a few years ago, and then one day I got a cheque in the post completely out of the blue for nearly a thousand quid. That was a good day.

Oh my god then that means...along with my upcoming pay, im gonna be in line for almost two grand according to my P46

Haha ohhhhh shit. Thats my credit card paid off then.

Also, three years ago I had to claim for a rebate of £1k. Took a while to get the cheque.

Qasiel

Tool are fucking awesome guys. In The Courtyard listening to endless tweeny emo cack (like Paramore), then Tool come on. I don't even really like metal, but fuck me those guys are amazing.

Danny Carey =

8nzRmv8.jpg

Fuckin' right, Tool are amazing.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I really like Meg White's drumming. I miss having a drum kit sometimes.

Also, Half-Life 2 is good. It's very clever in how it feels so hands-off but is still so "directed". Gravity gun + saw blade = happy fun. I had so much fun bashing zombies with a radiator. I've just got the buggy now.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Also, Half-Life 2 is good. It's very clever in how it feels so hands-off but is still so "directed". Gravity gun + saw blade = happy fun. I had so much fun bashing zombies with a radiator. I've just got the buggy now.
Oooh you're in for a treat. The gravity gun is so much fun, just wait until the end of the game. I remember being blown away by the physics in the game, I just played around with objects whenever I could. Another favorite of mine is the railroad spike crossbow. I played a ton of HL2 deathmatch when the game first came out. That was when steam was brand new and you had to register to play HL2 (a lot of people with limited net connections were pissed about this).

Good times.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Oooh you're in for a treat. The gravity gun is so much fun, just wait until the end of the game. I remember being blown away by the physics in the game, I just played around with objects whenever I could. Another favorite of mine is the railroad spike crossbow. I played a ton of HL2 deathmatch when the game first came out. That was when steam was brand new and you had to register to play HL2 (a lot of people with limited net connections were pissed about this).

Good times.

It's a pretty strange game by modern standards. It has taken me a while to adjust to it. Maybe it's because so used to "action games" having to telegraph every single set-piece or plot point. It's just got a really laid-back feeling to it.

Marry me.
Not joking

Sorry, I can't.

But she's great, isn't she? I was listening to Icky Thump (the album) today. I don't like the production very much, but her drums sound amazing.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

The way they designed the levels to guide the eye is so clever it makes me want to be a level designer. I wish that Valve could have put in a director's commentary for it a la Portal because the amount of care and attention that must have went into the most seemingly-mundane elements is astounding.

TLOU is the only other game(in a related genre) I can think of that matches it in that regard, and even that resorts to colour coding at times.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Agreed on all counts. I really wish we had more games like that, I get really sick of the on-rails feeling that is inescapable with most standard action games lately.

Oh shit, it's finally snowing down south and in London. The press will be all over the coming apocalypse now.

"Normally it takes me ten minutes to get to work but today it took THIRTEEN," one furious commuter told The Mail. We ask, has the weather gone too far, and would Ed Miliband really be capable of fixing it?

Rich!

Oh fucking fantastic

I'm one of the few who actually live close enough to my office to get there today in this snow.

So either I will have to drive back as the place will be locked, OR I am gonna have to take on some extra work today as I will be the only one in accounts.

I love snow but I also hate it

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The way they designed the levels to guide the eye is so clever it makes me want to be a level designer. I wish that Valve could have put in a director's commentary for it a la Portal because the amount of care and attention that must have went into the most seemingly-mundane elements is astounding.

TLOU is the only other game(in a related genre) I can think of that matches it in that regard, and even that resorts to colour coding at times.

Agreed on all counts. I really wish we had more games like that, I get really sick of the on-rails feeling that is inescapable with most standard action games lately.

Totally agree with you both. It almost feels open world by today's standards. Very strange. Is it meant to be blackly comic? I've chuckled quite a lot so far and I find the game quite funny - crowbar-ing head crabs makes me laugh, attacking anything with cardboard boxes, the Mother-from-Alien style security voice "Civil Protection Team" and "the Freeman" ... I don't get the feeling it takes itself too seriously.

Oh shit, it's finally snowing down south and in London. The press will be all over the coming apocalypse now.

"Normally it takes me ten minutes to get to work but today it took THIRTEEN," one furious commuter told The Mail. We ask, has the weather gone too far, and would Ed Miliband really be capable of fixing it?

Now the real news starts when furious wishy washy journalists struggle to get to their comfy offices. It could just be that I don't want to be awake, but I really feel very merciless towards the British press. The Mail, the Sun, the rest... Ugh. rotten, the lot of them. I hope the snow destroys them all. ALL OF THEM HAGRRRUEHLEEERRRHHH!

The_Poet

Banned
Sorry, I can't.

But she's great, isn't she? I was listening to Icky Thump (the album) today. I don't like the production very much, but her drums sound amazing.

:(

And yes she's very under appreciated because many people think her drumming sounds 'basic'. But shes drumming blues music, requires an incredible amount of offbeat timing and technical proficiency.

The White Stripes are just so good, so sad I couldn't get to see them live before they split. I did get to see Jack White on his solo tour a couple years ago, he played a few White Stripes classics, great gig.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

And yes she's very under appreciated because many people think her drumming sounds 'basic'. But shes drumming blues music, requires an incredible amount of offbeat timing and technical proficiency.

The White Stripes are just so good, so sad I couldn't get to see them live before they split. I did get to see Jack White on his solo tour a couple years ago, he played a few White Stripes classics, great gig.

People are daft though. I love how they sound so huge even with being so simple. You just don't need fancy things for fancy's sake.

They are really good. Their records also sound amazing. I love how you can hear the space in the studio, everything feels organic. Although less so with Icky Thump. It's just really natural music. Go in a room, turn the volume up, press record and then go!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

She's unique, she's stylish, and what she brings to the table works with the music, but there's no way she can be considered a technically proficient drummer... in my humble opinion.

Danj

It's snowed today in Cambridge, plus the downstairs toilet has developed a leak in or near the cistern. Fun fun.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Totally agree with you both. It almost feels open world by today's standards. Very strange. Is it meant to be blackly comic? I've chuckled quite a lot so far and I find the game quite funny - crowbar-ing head crabs makes me laugh, attacking anything with cardboard boxes, the Mother-from-Alien style security voice "Civil Protection Team" and "the Freeman" ... I don't get the feeling it takes itself too seriously.

I think there are limits to how serious it can be, given some of the silliness from HL1, but it definitely gets bleaker...

Having played the drums (badly) for quite a few years, what she does is very difficult. She isn't an all time great by any means but she does a good job of a harder than it looks approach.

SmokyDave

I scrolled up from the bottom of the page, read about someone shit at drumming, and knew exactly who was being referred to. I think that says something.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
My tuppence :

I don't think what she does is that difficult (I used to copy all of her drum patterns when I played drums) but I also don't think she's rubbish. Far from it.

The most important thing is that when I listen to Death Letter or Black Math or Little Cream Soda I get that propulsive 'whoosh' that makes me feel like I'm dancing in my head. The rest is just technical point scoring and means nothing.

SmokyDave

My tuppence :

I don't think what she does is that difficult (I used to copy all of her drum patterns when I played drums) but I also don't think she's rubbish. Far from it.

The most important thing is that when I listen to Death Letter or Black Math or Little Cream Soda I get that propulsive 'whoosh' that makes me feel like I'm dancing in my head. The rest is just technical point scoring and means nothing.

I dunno, man. I can't play drums (despite having a drum kit on my desk) so I've no real room to criticise the chick. It's just that when I think 'basic drums', I think 'White Stripes'.

Black Math is a fucking sizzler though. Great track.

I don't really give a shit whether someone's good or not at playing the drums, as long as they're getting the drums to do what the song needs them to do.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I dunno, man. I can't play drums (despite having a drum kit on my desk) so I've no real room to criticise the chick. It's just that when I think 'basic drums', I think 'White Stripes'.

Black Math is a fucking sizzler though. Great track.

Yeah it's a barnstormer.

I'm just saying that basic doesn't mean bad.

Meg is thoroughly mediocre. She can keep time I suppose, but that's about as much as I could say, she demonstrates very little flair or imagination, and lol at the praise for her technical ability. Luckily their stripped back style didn't ask a lot of her.

Jack is a far better drummer anyway:

The Dead Weather - Treat Me Like Your Mother

I think that's the point. She's not trying to be Elvin Jones or something.

You don't need flair or imagination if the song or the vibe doesn't need it. People danced for years to Seven Nation Army without the need for any fancy fills or rolls.

Have you heard "I can't stand it" by the Velvet Underground? That has the best beat ever and its just two drums.

Musicianship by itself is just self indulgence - it always has to serve the song / sound and that's what she does. It lets Jack White do his CRAAK! CRUNCH! WIDDLY WOO!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need flair or imagination if the song or the vibe doesn't need it. People danced for years to Seven Nation Army without the need for any fancy fills or rolls.

Musicianship by itself is just self indulgence - it always has to serve the song / sound and that's what she does. It lets Jack White do his CRAAK! CRUNCH! WIDDLY WOO!

This is bang on.

NinjaBoiX

I agree that The White Stripes don't call for fancy drumming, I said as much in my post. But as she's only ever drummed for them, I don't see how "she's really technically proficient, the music she plays just doesn't call for it" holds any water.

Like, how do you know?
I don't really give a shit whether someone's good or not at playing the drums, as long as they're getting the drums to do what the song needs them to do.
I couldn't disagree more, I think the drummer is the most important aspect of any band. There is a lot more to the rhythm of a track than holding a beat; dynamics, intensity, texture. A good drummer can be just as musical as any other part of a band.

Drums are love.

Drums are life.

"is meg the best drummer in the world? she isn't even the best drummer in the white stripes!"

death letter is fucking fantastic. of course, it wasn't written by jack white so yeah.

I couldn't disagree more, I think the drummer is the most important aspect of any band. There is a lot more to the rhythm of a track than holding a beat; dynamics, intensity, texture. A good drummer can be just as musical as any other part of a band.

Drums are love.

Drums are life.

I wasn't trying to say drummers were pointless or anything! It would be my instrument of choice if I had any musical ability at all. Even what little experience Rock Band can give was amazing fun.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I agree that The White Stripes don't call for fancy drumming, I said as much in my post. But as she's only ever drummed for them, I don't see how "she's really technically proficient, the music she plays just doesn't call for it" holds any water.

Like, how do you know?

Drums are love.

Drums are life.

I agree totally. Still think Meg is a good drummer by those standards. My taste > your taste 😛

Anyway , favourite drummer everyone??

I'm gonna go with hmm. I actually don't know. Maybe the guy from Deerhoof? I like Keith Moon. Jazz wise I'd probably say Elvin Jones. Big John Bonham is great obviously. Hmm. They're all pretty obvious aren't they? I bet I'm forgetting someone.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Great Drummers? Off the top of my head:

Damon Che (Don Caballero), Tatsuya Yoshida (Ruins), Christopher Freeland (Oxes), Big John Bonham (Zep), Doug Scharin (June of '44), Todd Trainer (Shellac), Phil Selway (Radiohead), Dave Grohl (Nirvana), Steve Shelly (Sonic Youth), Jim Sclavunos (Bad Seeds, Grinderman, Sonic Youth), Henri Grimes (Shitwife, Shield Your Eyes), Erik Ratensperger (Jerome's Dream), Britt Walford (Slint), Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins, Smiling Politely), Kevin Coultas (Rodan), Tim Latona (Botch)...

I mean, I could go on. XD

NinjaBoiX

Anyway, favourite drummer everyone??

I'm gonna go with hmm. I actually don't know. Maybe the guy from Deerhoof? I like Keith Moon. Jazz wise I'd probably say Elvin Jones. Big John Bonham is great obviously. Hmm. They're all pretty obvious aren't they? I bet I'm forgetting someone.
Jazz - Buddy Rich
Metal - Danny Carey
Blues - John Bonham
Hip-Hop - Questlove (Ahmir-Khalib Thompson)
Electronic/Production (it counts OK?) - Amon Tobin

Special mention to Josh Macintyre from Marmozets as a recent favourite, ridiculously talented for such a youngster.
What, like, even a traditional Mariachi band?
Haha!

Top Bottom