• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ooo gawd yeah. So many. Forgot Jimmy Chamberlin too.

I like Matt Helders too. I dont find the Arctic Monkeys that interesting musically but he makes them sound gigantic.

Brant Bjork is great too.

Blimey - the guy from Mastodon is amazing.

NinjaBoiX

Ooo gawd yeah. So many. Forgot Jimmy Chamberlin too.

I like Matt Helders too. I dont find the Arctic Monkeys that interesting musically but he makes them sound gigantic.

Brant Bjork is great too.

Blimey - the guy from Mastodon is amazing.
Fuck, how did I forget him? The intro to Brianstorm is just thunderous.

Speaking of Brian, I also forgot Brian Chase from Yeah Yeah Yeahs, surprisingly delicate and intricate at times given the ballsy machismo of their sound.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

George-Formby-jnr.jpg

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Speaking of Brian, I also forgot Brian Chase from Yeah Yeah Yeahs, surprisingly delicate and intricate at times given the ballsy machismo of their sound.

I forgot him too! He's amazing. His cymbals remind me of Jazz drumming. He has that sort of swing.

Patrick Carney of The Black Keys is better than Meg White. (I'd say they're quite similar)

But what's being said of Matt Helders is true. He's great. Take the intro to R U Mine? and just the simple rhythm of the Arabella verses. Even the intro to a certain romance from the first album is good.

RiggyRob

Nope. I gave it some thought but I'm gonna wait a while. I just don't like Nintendo that much.

Sploatee has a heart of ice confirmed.

So...a week and a half away from the New 3DS's release. Who else is getting it?

Getting my GF the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL, it's verrrrrrrry nice from what I saw of the unboxing video (and the Skull Kid figurine is actually a lot bigger than I was expecting).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sploatee has a heart of ice confirmed.

).

Probably. I can appreciate Nintendo games for their design and style but (with one or two exceptions) they're not interesting to me. Even Ocarina of Time - at the time - was good but not great. I preferred Metal Gear Solid. I think I just don't like happy smiley things.

Metroid Prime is the exception. And Mario Kart 8 was good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like Nintendo but there's no point if you already have a 3ds.

If you have the old 3DS model then the N3DS is a vast improvement:
  • Stable 3D really does work and actually makes the gimmick viable to use.
  • The build of it is much much better. The old one always felt a bit flimsy, especially the wobbly top screen.
  • Top screen isn't scratched by the bottom.
  • Volume slider moved to the top screen so you don't accidentally rub it with the palm of your hand while playing.
  • D-pad isn't going to start flaking at the edges.

This is like moving from the old DS to the DSi.

I can't comment on the XL model since I didn't own one.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
  • The build of it is much much better. The old one always felt a bit flimsy, especially the wobbly top screen.
  • Volume slider moved to the top screen so you don't accidentally rub it with the palm of your hand while playing.

It is a better machine for sure, but not worth paying to upgrade. I had the OG and have an XL since their respective launches. Not this time, Nintendo, not this time.

Son Of D

I was considering a New 3DS but after some thought I realised that I barely used my 3DS XL as it is so spending the money for an upgrade isn't worth it. Especially if the only game exclusive to the new hardware is one I already own on Wii.

Volotaire

Still considering the preorder options or getting it on Twitter FR/SP. they still have the figure in stock. Never had a 3DS before but I'm not sure if I should get one now or leave it until Summer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It is a better machine for sure, but not worth paying to upgrade. I had the OG and have an XL since their respective launches. Not this time, Nintendo, not this time.
Well like I said, I didn't have an XL so I've been using a day one 3DS and its seen better days. I'd been holding off replacing it with an XL in the hopes they'd announce a new smaller sized 3DS so I was really happy when the N3DS was announced.

And now I'm currently using it to play an old DS game ha ha ha.

Reknoc

I know MonHun has some performance and graphical boosts so it'll be interesting to see if any other games do that. The recent Shantea game is supposed to be getting some n3DS upgrade to it as well.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm LTTP but Meg was chosen by Jack for a reason. He appreciated her simple drumming and I think knew he could have a serviceable drummer without it getting in the way (read: outshining) of his songs. Not to disparage Jack at all, the man is a genius, but he definitely knew what he was doing when he picked her to drum.

the original ds was a shitty piece of hardware to be fair. awful gimmick that can't be relied on to provide gameplay because nintendo can't force a developer to rely on it, ageing hardware, tiny battery, creaky cheap plastic, zelda games. blahh.

Aww man I missed the drum talk? I think Dave Grohl is an easy 'go to', he's an amazing drummer. I don't concentrate on drummers much as I tend to focus on the frontman of a band, but I think my fave is Joey Jordison. Special shout out to David Silveria.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That reminds me, I forgot to mention Dave Lombardo (Slayer, Fantomas), Weasel Walter (The Flying Luttenbachers, Behold... The Arctopus!) and John Theodore (The Mars Volta, QotSA). Those guys are all fucking monsters.

Reknoc

Can't afford it. Plus it can't do the region free exploit either, not seeing any really compelling reasons to upgrade right now.

The lack of the region free exploit is a lot less of deal to me than I was expecting. The only things I want on the system that I can't get locally are so text heavy that'd it be a waste of time. With maybe the exception of the recent One Piece game but 1) it doesn't look that good and 2) it'll probably get an EU release anyway.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
More pumped for MonHun4 than anything though.
Oooh yes. I felt like I didn't get enough out of MH3 on the Wii, so this should be the perfect opportunity to get back into the series.

Do you still need to format the SD card? I would love to replace it with a bigger one.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, i guess, if you want to be picky. he started his career as a drummer though so y'know.
check out his pop masterclass sessions on youtube, they're fun and informative!

They were really good. Only recognised the Daft Punk song, but loved the Debussy reference. Love me some Debussy.

Fuck. A. Duck.

Maybe not for technicality but sheer star power, how about Gene Krupa vs Buddy Rich...

...vs Sammy Davis Jr.?

NinjaBoiX

Haha, that was a load of fun! Looked like they were having a blast.

OK, on the subject of drums, God knows how many times I've posted this link, but for anyone who's missed it it's just glorious:

Manu Delago - Hang Solo

The little rolling solo around the edge of the drum in his lap he does at 2:35 before gently going back into the melody never fails to raise goosebumps, it sounds so organic, almost like water trickling or something. Wanky description but it's the only way I can describe it! Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
OK, on the subject of drums, God knows how many times I've posted this link, but for anyone who's missed it it's just glorious:

Manu Delago - Hang Solo

The little rolling solo around the edge of the drum in his lap he does at 2:35 before gently going back into the melody never fails to raise goosebumps, it sounds so organic, almost like water trickling or something. Wanky description but it's the only way I can describe it! Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

That's lovely and your description is on the money. When are you buying me one? I'd probably make it sound like a gorilla is slapping it with a pig, but I want it all the same.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
All of that is fine.

None of it is as good as Lumines.

Or Dark Souls.

Or Half Life 2 which blimey is getting rather good.

Ok. Back on topic. Too many guitarists in this world.

The_Poet

Banned
Anyone know where I can buy cheap Wiimotes, and nunchucks?

I bought the Metroid Prime trilogy thinking I had a few lying around, but my niece has taken and lost them all.

Fuchs

Hello BritGAF!
Hopefully you won't get mad at me for invading your thread and posting here, because I'm not British (actually German), but I'm quite desperate so I really hope. you could help me here.
For my studies I'm currently enlisted in a British Culture/Literature class and next Wednesday I need to give a 10 min. presentation on a topic in relation to British Culture and Literature, of course. I don't mind giving speeches and presentations in front of people, etc. but I haven't found a topic yet, which makes me really depressed. I'm interested in the history of British Cinema, however it's way to extensive to talk about in 10 minutes tops... and also hearing about some classmates tackling very serious topics like "Education Gap in Britain" and "The Scottish Referendum" isn't helping either.
I hope some of you nice Brits would be kind enough to help me in finding a fitting topic.
Thanks in advance and again sorry for me posting here! =(

RiggyRob

Anyone know where I can buy cheap Wiimotes, and nunchucks?

I bought the Metroid Prime trilogy thinking I had a few lying around, but my niece has taken and lost them all.

Outside of preowned/second hand deals, chances are the cheap Wiimotes + Nunchuks you find online will be fakes, and the real Wiimote + Nunchuk costs £45 from the Nintendo UK Online Store, which is better than Game's £45 + £15 for it.

Even Nippon Yasan are selling the Wiimotes for 3760¥ (£37), but they're the special editions (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, Bowser and Peach).

The_Poet

Banned
Hello BritGAF!
Hopefully you won't get mad at me for invading your thread and posting here, because I'm not British (actually German), but I'm quite desperate so I really hope. you could help me here.
For my studies I'm currently enlisted in a British Culture/Literature class and next Wednesday I need to give a 10 min. presentation on a topic in relation to British Culture and Literature, of course. I don't mind giving speeches and presentations in front of people, etc. but I haven't found a topic yet, which makes me really depressed. I'm interested in the history of British Cinema, however it's way to extensive to talk about in 10 minutes tops... and also hearing about some classmates tackling very serious topics like "Education Gap in Britain" and "The Scottish Referendum" isn't helping either.
I hope some of you nice Brits would be kind enough to help me in finding a fitting topic.
Thanks in advance and again sorry for me posting here! =(

What about our general distaste at being the subject of a presentation?

The change in food culture since the end of ww2 has been pretty dramatic and interesting.

How British music reflected societal issues at the time? (60's, 70's, 80's)

Why does everyone think Ed Miliband is a clown?

SmokyDave

The Great British Enigma: Why is it that everyone in the country likes Top Gear except British comedians?
Oh no please don't bring Stewart Lee down upon us :(

I watched Top Gear snapped on the Xbone whilst lapping the Top Gear track on Forza 5 last night. It was fucking awesome.

Top Bottom