• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broforce skipping XBO due to Parity Clause, and "deal they couldn't refuse" w/ Sony

Rubius

On the one hand, the parity clause is bullshit and needs to go.

On the other hand, it's just Broforce.

Bro, just Broforce? Bro, Broforce will be the Broest game on Steam. You can play as many Bro like Rambro, Brorocop, Brodley, The Brodock Saints.
I cant wait to buy it when it will come out.

I'm hoping for the Bride to come as a bro.

Conduit

Banned
but I'm more concerns that Xbox players are only interested in AAA games and no amount of push from MS will change their minds on that.

Even if Xbone community are only interested in AAA games ( mostly shooters ), some of AAA exclusives bombed sales wise ( like Sunset ) because game is....not shooter even if game is awesome. I'm really concerned how Quantum Break or new Tomb Raider will sell.

I've seen this a lot. There's a reason why the PS4 has been panned as the "indie"station (like that's a bad thing). "Sony doesn't have the money for the AAA games", "indie games aren't even real games", "lol enjoy your atari looking games!", etc.

Sad truth! :( I asking myself how someone can say something like that and that person claim he is a gamer.

You forgot Piers Solar, Rogue Legacy, Oddworld, and Thomas Was Alone. :)

Golf Club was a sim ship, though. And Guacamelee was a special edition so that doesn't really count either.

Piers Solar wasn't a "big title form a big developer" either, since the reality is we treat every develop (big and small) exactly the same.

None of these exceptions make this any better.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'll say it again. MS and MS apologists are still stuck in 2008/2009. The distribution of power has changed.

True. Even Nintendo knows that. Heck, Nintendo has better policies than MS right now!

EvB

If Chris goes, I'm taking his place.

None of this jeans and t-shirts casual look, hardcore suit on suit action.

see5harp

That had already come out on 360. Not sure why it keeps getting mentioned in these arguments.

Lol. All good.

All I know is that it came out first on ps4 where I played it. It probably wasn't even subject to the clause I just remember seeing it on the Xbox one marketplace later.

... and who bought them in the end?

how much did MS support them in their early days? I'm not being sarcastic btw, I honestly dont know too much about it (yes, I'm the few ppl on Earth who wasn't interested in Minecraft). if they didn't support their grown and only "bought them in the end", then that's not helping, that's just a low risk investment as a business. and if they did support them from the start, then it's even more strange that they're acting the way they are now towards the indies.

FranXico

I'll say it again. MS and MS apologists are still stuck in 2008/2009. The distribution of power has changed.

Back in the early PS3 days, Sony executives were still drunk with the PS2 success and used to think they owned the show. The beating they got taught them a lot.

You forgot Piers Solar, Rogue Legacy, Oddworld, and Thomas Was Alone. :)

Golf Club was a sim ship, though. And Guacamelee was a special edition so that doesn't really count either.

Piers Solar wasn't a "big title form a big developer" either, since the reality is we treat every develop (big and small) exactly the same.
That's exactly the feedback we wanted from you, a few more games. We didn't want clarification or any of the other things people are clamoring for, we wanted a few more examples of you sidestepping your own idiotic rule. Thanks, Chris.

Microsoft Listens™

Ravidrath

Yeah, I stayed quiet on this before, but... he didn't try very hard, if at all. Pretty much was just making excuses to not have to deal with MS again.

We patched our game free about a year after it launched, and we had to do a complicated Title Update / mandatory Compatibility Pack DLC combo, which took approval from MS's Dark Council. The total update size was around 600 megs.

Because the Dark Council got involved, the patching process took forever. When we started the process, we were all set to pay the $10,000. But when the process finished, they were like "Oh hey, starting next week there is no patch fee. So we're just going to delay it a week so you don't have to pay - that cool?"

Fez's patch would've probably been a few megs at most, and just a Title Update since it was just a weird save bug that was missed, if I recall.

Everyone who says 'oh this will obviously hurt MS' is missing the point.

MS are not interested in bringing indie games to the platform unless there's immediate money to be made out of it. They don't want a game that only shifts 10k units, they only want the indies that are going to be breakout hits.

This isn't how this works at all.

MS makes more money by having more games on their platform, period. The point of a digital marketplace is to take 30% of every sale, not posture about how your choice is "better" by being more limited.

The more things you have to sell, the more customers you will reach, the more money you will make for just hosting files and running the store.

Gestault

Seem like ID@XBOX guy has already know the problem?

Dont you have any interest to fix it ?

To be fair, he's working within his employer's framework. He can give feedback, but it's not something in this control. The fact that there's signs people within MS understand the concern means they have good people there. Hopefully that means a change to a better policy.

Duxxy3

Back in the early PS3 days, Sony executives were still drunk with the PS2 success and used to think they owned the show. The beating they got taught them a lot.

History repeating again. People, and companies, just never learn.

Nintendo got arrogant after the SNES and got pounded because of it. Sony got arrogant because of the PS2 and got pounded because of it. Microsoft got arrogant because of the 360 and got pounded for it.

Cycle repeating over and over.

I thought "parity clause" meant forcing devs to make a better version of a game on par with a lesser version of the same game port. I didn't know it meant demanding all versions of the game releasing simultaneously.

didn't vf5 come out on 360 a few months after Ps3?

ccharla

Seem like ID@XBOX guy has already know the problem?

Dont you have any interest to fix it ?

Well, since I clearly can't tell the difference between a PM and post reply this afternoon, let me just write back publicly and say that we really do take all this kind of feedback to heart, and we take the feedback really seriously.

I thought "parity clause" meant forcing devs to make a better version of a game on par with a lesser version of the same game port. I didn't know it meant demanding all versions of the game releasing simultaneously.

That's a separate clause. This specific one is about release date parity.

Might not have the power.

It all relies on "I believe in Phil Spencer" sadly

Sounds like a "above his pay grade" kind of issue.

It could also be that Microsoft doesn't want to loosen the policy officially, otherwise it will be a lot harder to re-implement it later. It's better it just stays there with blanket exceptions, just in case they ever want to start enforcing it.

Yeah, I stayed quiet on this before, but... he didn't try very hard, if at all. Pretty much was just making excuses to not have to deal with MS again.

We patched our game free about a year after it launched, and we had to do a complicated Title Update / mandatory Compatibility Pack DLC combo, which took approval from MS's Dark Council. The total update size was around 600 megs.

Because the Dark Council got involved, the patching process took forever. When we started the process, we were all set to pay the $10,000. But when the process finished, they were like "Oh hey, starting next week there is no patch fee. So we're just going to delay it a week so you don't have to pay - that cool?"

Fez's patch would've probably been a few megs at most, and just a Title Update since it was just a weird save bug that was missed, if I recall.

Dark Council = QA team?

JP

You can tell this is a worthwhile thread, I'm still laughing at stuff people posted 4 or 5 pages ago and by the time I get to the bottom of that page I'm further away from the latest post than I was when I started reading the page.

Back in a bit.

see5harp

Cue the dogpile.

I wish this whole thing could get fixed so xbox one gamers can stop pretending they dislike indie games and ps4 gamers can stop feining concern.

Well, since I clearly can't tell the difference between a PM and post reply this afternoon, let me just write back publicly and say that we really do take all this kind of feedback to heart, and we take the feedback really seriously.

Who is we? Does this include people who could decide to change certain policies?
Hope so, this would be nice for developers, gamers and, by the way, the xbox.

Occam

Que?

Ravidrath

Dark Council = QA team?

Like, if your Title Update exceeds a certain size, or certain other guidelines are technically impossible to adhere to, etc. you have to escalate your case to this shadowy cadre of people. The "Dark Council" is the name I gave them - I'm not sure what their actual titles are. But I'm guessing they're a group of high-level TRC folk, like the people that came up with the TRC in the first place.

You basically just endlessly fill out Word docs for them explaining the technical case, business case, and customer experience for what you want to do until they let you do the thing or don't. And it takes months!

So in our case, we couldn't have a 600 MB TU, so we had to appeal to the Dark Council for permission to split our updates into TUs/Compatibility Packs. This is why the first Skullgirls patch on 360 was 6-7 months after the PS3 one.

Shin-Ra

Sounds like a "above his pay grade" kind of issue.

It could also be that Microsoft doesn't want to loosen the policy officially, otherwise it will be a lot harder to re-implement it later. It's better it just stays there with blanket exceptions, just in case they ever want to start enforcing it.
Sounds a lot like their pricing strategy.

Like, if your Title Update exceeds a certain size, or certain other guidelines are technically impossible to adhere to, etc. you have to escalate your case to this shadowy cadre of people. The "Dark Council" is the name I gave them - I'm not sure what their actual titles are, but I'm guessing they're a group of high-level TRC folk.

You basically just endlessly fill out Word docs for them explaining the technical case, business case, and customer experience until they let you do the thing or don't. And it takes months.

So in our case, we couldn't have a 600 MB TU, so we had to appeal to the Dark Council for permission to split our updates into TUs/Compatibility Packs.

Huh i did not know this.

Who is we? Does this include people who could decide to change certain policies?
Hope so, this would be nice for developers, gamers and, by the way, the xbox.

Hopefully The feedback is is relayed to guys like Spencer and Harrison

I understand the hate in this thread I don't think this is worth dogpiling over; what else can someone who works at MS (that isn't Phil himself) even say publicly? He's not making the policy. Posting here has wayyy more downside than up.

prwxv3

Like, if your Title Update exceeds a certain size, or certain other guidelines are technically impossible to adhere to, etc. you have to escalate your case to this shadowy cadre of people. The "Dark Council" is the name I gave them - I'm not sure what their actual titles are. But I'm guessing they're a group of high-level TRC folk, like the people that came up with the TRC in the first place.

You basically just endlessly fill out Word docs for them explaining the technical case, business case, and customer experience for what you want to do until they let you do the thing or don't. And it takes months!

So in our case, we couldn't have a 600 MB TU, so we had to appeal to the Dark Council for permission to split our updates into TUs/Compatibility Packs. This is why the first Skullgirls patch on 360 was 6-7 months after the PS3 one.

what the hell. I hope this does not exist anymore.

Cue the dogpile.

I wish this whole thing could get fixed so xbox one gamers can stop pretending they dislike indie games and ps4 gamers can stop feining concern.

as a PS4 owner I don't care what MS does with it's XB1 business, but when potential release dates for games I'm interested in are moved because of it then it irks me. in a way their policies are affecting my console. that shouldn't happen.

the lack of great indie titles available for XB1 users also sucks as a potential future owner.

Altima

It was delighted to hear that.

I hope Microsoft can come up with a good solution. Especially, when it causes trouble to Microsoft more than other.

see5harp

as a PS4 owner I don't care what MS does with it's XB1 business, but when potential release dates for games I'm interested in are moved because of it then it irks me. in a way their policies are affecting my console. that shouldn't happen.

the lack of great indie titles available for XB1 users also sucks as a potential future owner.

Do you have any examples of games that have been moved forward to adhere to this specific policy?

once this news gets its publicity i think another 180 is on the horizon.
The parity clause has been out there for a while. Phil even publicly defended it:

"Millions of people own Xbox One and I want those people to feel like they're first class, because they are.

"When a third party game comes out it comes out on all platforms at the same time. When indie games come out, I want them to come out and I want Xbox to to feel like it is a first class citizen when an indie game launches."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Lol, Sony aren't paying for exclusivity, they don't have to. Adam Boyes turns up with a free PS4 dev kit on loan, and access to resources to help port the game and bingo life-time exclusive guarantee because of MS parity clause.

EvB

I believe Sony places a timed exclusivity on any games they've loaned cash to via the pub fund, which delays the game for Xbox One users.

Top Bottom