• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broforce skipping XBO due to Parity Clause, and "deal they couldn't refuse" w/ Sony

Ravidrath

Lol, Sony aren't paying for exclusivity, they don't have to. Adam Boyes turns up with a free PS4 dev kit on loan, and access to resources to help port the game and bingo life-time exclusive guarantee because of MS parity clause.

In many cases they're not paying actual cash-money, but you get lots of perks like preferred store placement, marketing support, event space, kiosk presence, etc.

The value is significant.

nannasin

Neo Member
“Mostly because Sony reached out to us with a deal we couldn’t reasonably refuse,” Creative Director Evan Greenwood said to GamingBolt. But even if they want to launch on the Xbox One, they can’t due to the parity clause. “As far as I know Microsoft has a clause in their contract where they won’t accept an indie game if it launches on Xbox after Playstation

Sounds like he is not sure what the clause actually says and is just making an assumption.

David___

Banned
I believe Sony places a timed exclusivity on any games they've loaned cash to via the pub fund, which delays the game for Xbox One users.

Name one pub fund game thats been announced as multiplat and a pub fund game at the same time.

Do you have any examples of games that have been moved forward to adhere to this specific policy?

how would we ever know? maybe if some games that were announced for PS4, get delayed and show up later with simultaneous XB1 releases. kinda hard to tell anyway when so many indie games don't lock down release dates.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Great idea for an Xbox One ad campaign - "For Gamers With Discerning Tastes", or maybe "Only the Best Will Do". Just shoot me an email if you want some more great marketing ideas Microsoft.

Nafai1123

Banned
I believe Sony places a timed exclusivity on any games they've loaned cash to via the pub fund, which delays the game for Xbox One users.

You are correct. It's the perfect example of a carrot (funding for development w/ temp exclusivity) vs a stick (release here first or don't release at all)

m_dorian

Well, eventually more pressure will be applied so the MS heads will fix this problem they created in the first place. It only needs people not stop telling them it is stupid to keep the parity clause.

Do you have any examples of games that have been moved forward to adhere to this specific policy?

I have a feeling Hyper Light Drifter was delayed for this clause as I don't see the XB1 as a stretch goal on the kick-starter page. I could be completely wrong on this point though.

Biker19

Banned
History repeating again. People, and companies, just never learn.

Nintendo got arrogant after the SNES and got pounded because of it. Sony got arrogant because of the PS2 and got pounded because of it. Microsoft got arrogant because of the 360 and got pounded for it.

Cycle repeating over and over.

I agree, though to be fair, both Nintendo & Sony have each won two generations with the NES, SNES, PS1, & PS2.

Microsoft however, have never won a generation at all, nor were they even the market leaders (Nintendo was with the Wii). They've only won big in the U.S. & in the UK over Sony with Xbox 360. They don't have a real good reason to be arrogant at all.

truth411

You are correct. It's the perfect example of a carrot (funding for development w/ temp exclusivity) vs a stick (release here first or don't release at all)
More like release on our platform at the same time or not at all. But your point stands, Sony is using incentives while Microsoft is bullying Indies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Cue the dogpile.

I wish this whole thing could get fixed so xbox one gamers can stop pretending they dislike indie games and ps4 gamers can stop feining concern.
Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. I guess all those PS4 gamers could take their "feigned concern" home and leave XBO gamers to suffer this policy on their own. Would you prefer that?

autoduelist

If it was Microsoft who offered them "a deal they couldn't reasonably refuse", what's the probability that the thread title would contain the word "moneyhat" instead and that the conversation would be focused on that?

The deal Sony offered them likely wasn't for exclusivity. The reason they can't go Xbox later is the parity clause. Not the same thing whatsoever.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. I guess all those PS4 gamers could take their "feigned concern" home and leave XBO gamers to suffer this policy on their own. Would you prefer that?

And remember, it's feigned concern, not real love for indie devs and the shit they go thorough to make games for us.

Corpekata

Banned

I assume you mean backward. If you want an example you can look at Dungeon Defenders, which was ready on PC for months before it launched in order to debut on the 360.

To be fair, he's working within his employer's framework.
Presumably, of his own free will. Chris isn't a slave or an indentured servant, or anything like that, right? He's free to seek employment with a company whose morals align more closely with his own?

The fact that there's signs people within MS understand the concern means they have good people there.
What "signs"? Chris posted to say their policies have nothing to do with this, then posted again to give examples of how generous they are in passing out exceptions. =/

Corpekata

Banned
And this is not likely to be a pub fund game. None of the other pub fund games have ever released at the same time on PC, let alone been on PC for nearly a year.

Game Guru

I think MS needs to drop the parity clause ASAP. I mean, I am not sure about how accurate this website is, but it suggests a huge disparity between the digital games available on XB1 compared to those available on PS4. Given what we heard from indie developers, this huge disparity in digital releases is the direct result of the parity clause. If that truly is the case then the parity clause needs to be ended. If this clause is allowed to continue, it could eventually lead to indies actually just skipping out on Xbox releases because there is no audience for indie games there like how third-parties skip out on Nintendo consoles because of no audience for third-party games on those consoles. The parity clause needs to end now.

i thought the whole point of this parity clause thread is that phil spencer doesn't want timed exclusive games to come to the xbone. either they come simultaneously or don't at all.

EatMyFace

Banned
Who cares? Indie games aren't real games anyway. Bring on the Titan Falls and the Forza Sixes.

Sarcasm
Or Is it?

see5harp

And remember, it's feigned concern, not real love for indie devs and the shit they go thorough to make games for us.

I show love to devs by buying their games on the system I own. the policy doesn't work but if it's out there I imagine devs can figure out whether to devote resources to work on a port after they've made arrangements with MS. It's not ideal but yall are acting like shit is life and death.

MS. :|

You aren't in the kind of commanding position to pull this shit at the moment. Just get stuff released on the platform so I can play it, who cares what its been on first, the stuff is always already old if you count PC anyway.

Developers need to start calling things Broforce: Champion Edition or something, pretend its a new game so the wittle baby console maker doesn't feel like he was left out initially and then we can all just play the games.

Sendou

Developers need to start calling things Broforce: Champion Edition or something, pretend its a new game so the wittle baby console maker doesn't feel like he was left out initially and then we can all just play the games.

I mean the point here clearly isn't that Broforce couldn't come to Xbox One. The game has sold well on PC even before release. I'm sure they would have it on XBONE. The emphasis on the title should be on the Sony part. Especially reading the actual quote about Microsoft: “As far as I know Microsoft has a clause in their contract where they won’t accept an indie game if it launches on Xbox after Playstation.”

Amir0x

Banned
I show love to devs by buying their games on the system I own. the policy doesn't work but if it's out there I imagine devs can figure out whether to devote resources to work on a port after they've made arrangements with MS. It's not ideal but yall are acting like shit is life and death.

Pathetic. People still trying to find excuses to defend a giant corporation abusing the must vulnerable devs in the industry because they're spiteful little assholes who were so behind the times in courting indies for this gen that they had to try to throw a wrench in the rest of the console industry to slow down their progress in the arena. In the process, Xbox One owners have a much worse indie game environment, a few games that could have come out earlier were arbitrarily delayed on PS4 for it, and indie developers have a much tougher and more red taped filled environment to try to navigate just to get a game out, when many already are barely getting by.

Well done Microsoft. Bravo.

Can't wait for you to come back see5harp and see you feign ignorance again as to why this is such a huge problem, and try to accuse everyone else of being fanboys or having ulterior motives without the slightest hint of irony.

EGM1966

“Mostly because Sony reached out to us with a deal we couldn’t reasonably refuse,” Creative Director Evan Greenwood said to GamingBolt. But even if they want to launch on the Xbox One, they can’t due to the parity clause. “As far as I know Microsoft has a clause in their contract where they won’t accept an indie game if it launches on Xbox after Playstation

Sounds like he is not sure what the clause actually says and is just making an assumption.
An assumption he wouldn't be making if the clause didn't exist and get negative media coverage.

Sounds like some devs aren't even bothering to check with MS which is pretty bad. They'll just gravitate to PC and Sony and write of MS based on their perception of the clause and how it affects them.

It's hard to show love to devs by buying their games on the system you own when they're not actually allowed to make games on the system you own.

Biker19

Banned
Pathetic. People still trying to find excuses to defend a giant corporation abusing the must vulnerable devs in the industry because they're spiteful little assholes who were so behind the times in courting indies for this gen that they had to try to throw a wrench in the rest of the console industry to slow down their progress in the arena. In the process, Xbox One owners have a much worse indie game environment, a few games that could have come out earlier were arbitrarily delayed on PS4 for it, and indie developers have a much tougher and more red taped filled environment to try to navigate just to get a game out, when many already are barely getting by.

Well done Microsoft. Bravo.

Can't wait for you to come back see5harp and see you feign ignorance again as to why this is such a huge problem, and try to accuse everyone else of being fanboys or having ulterior motives without the slightest hint of irony.

And that's why we have an issue with this parity clause.

Posters like see5harp have just proved Haunted's point:

People are still stuck in 2008/2009. "They could've come to MS and talk to them, hash out a deal, trying to get them to drop the parity clause, make an exception for them!"

Yeah, maybe. They could have.

But that's still assuming the old distribution of power, where console manufacturers can push indies around and force their conditions on them. That's been shattered during the last couple years by the proliferation of Steam and indies finding massive success outside of consoles.

If you're a promising, fully-featured, well-covered and well-known indie game published by Devolver Digital, the console manufacturers come to you and court you to release a port of the game on their platform. (Just like Sony has done here) The times when bigger indie names had to come begging to get put on XBLA and abide by their shitty, one-sided contracts are over.

Someone just forgot to tell MS.

I'll say it again. MS and MS apologists are still stuck in 2008/2009. The distribution of power has changed.

Xiaoki

i thought the whole point of this parity clause thread is that phil spencer doesn't want timed exclusive games to come to the xbone. either they come simultaneously or don't at all.
Well, you were wrong.

The whole point of this thread is exposing evil Sony bribing poor innocent independent developers so that their guaranteed hit games will never appear on the righteous Xbox One and then concocting lies about a "parity clause" to cover their schemes.

Or, it's about Console Wars.

Ravidrath

I'll say it again. MS and MS apologists are still stuck in 2008/2009. The distribution of power has changed.

I would say 2006, before the Apple App Store.

Back then, it was a legit concern that having an open store could be a bad thing. But then the app store happened and showed it was pretty great for everyone involved. But MS never changed their thinking on that.

A friend at MS has told me that MS never had any real vision for XBLA Marketplace, though - the whole reason it happened at all was because of internal jockeying against the phone division.

The phone division was planning a store, and the Xbox division didn't want to be left out, so they made their own.

Top Bottom