• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Straley Leaves Naughty Dog

Where do you think Bruce Straley will end up next?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ricky_R

Sad to see him go, but excited to see where he goes to next.

Thankfully, his footprint was so stong the team at ND nourished from it.

Anyway, thanks for everything, Bruce.

Fuck, the last good director of Naughty Dog has left... ND no longer one of my top studios

Bet he didn't like ND's new approach to games turning them more into interactive movies with gameplay last focus

ND used to be gameplay first since Crash to Jak

What's your deal, anyway? How does someone derive pleasure from posting purposeful drivel?

--

Sad to see him go. He was a huge part of why I loved Naughty Dog games, that's for damn sure. But on the other side, cream will rise to the top. And Naughty Dog as a studio attracts a lot of the best.

Had no idea he had been there for 18 years, damn. Best of luck to him. I'm not an ND enthusiast like a lot of others, but I did enjoy the hell out of TLOU, so at the very least thanks for that.

Alo0oy

Banned
Straley is the one who stopped Druckmann from killing Elena in Uncharted 2

Druckmann didn't have any creative control in UC2. Amy Hennig was the creative director in that game.

I don't know where Druckmann being a director in UC2 came from, people keep spreading that misinformation over and over.

So TLOU2 will start with Ellie eating Joel for dinner Hannibal style

j/k

Seriously I didn't know he was directing TOU2. I always thought a different directer will work on it like with UC3.

Neil isn't the main game director, at least as far as we know. He's the creative director (same position he had on the original game) and co-writer (his partner is Halley Gross). As of now the game director on PII is unknown.

zsynqx

Neil isn't the main game director, at least as far as we know. He's the creative director (same position he had on the original game) and co-writer (his partner is Halley Gross). As of now the game director on P2 is unknown.
Josh scherr is also working on TLOU2 according to his LinkedIn.

Ricky_R

Druckmann didn't have any creative control in UC2. Amy Hennig was the creative director in that game.

I don't know where Druckmann being a director in UC2 came from, people keep spreading that misinformation over and over.

Neil did try to kill Elena for Uncharted 2, but the idea was scratched, of course. Has nothing to do with him being director or not.

Alo0oy

Banned
Neil did try to kill Elena for Uncharted 2, but the idea was scratched, of course. Has nothing to do with him being directoe or not.

He had some minimal creative input and wrote some secondary lines, but he had no decision making power in UC2, his AMA answer was most likely a joke.

Neil isn't the main game director, at least as far as we know. He's the creative director (same position he had on the original game) and co-writer (his partner is Halley Gross). As of now the game director on PII is unknown.

If I were a betting man, I'd would say either game designers Emilia Schatz (U3, TLOU, U4) or Anthony Newman (U2, U3, TLOU, U4) would be next in line.

iFirez

That sucks, Bruce has always been awesome. I hope he continues to make awesome stuff. TLoU will always be his masterpiece to me.

Ricky_R

It was most likely a joke. Not saying that event didn't happen, but it probably happened as a joke.

Maybe, maybe not, but if it happened, it had nothing to do with him being a director or not. Considering how open ND is about listening to ideas from different people regardless of their role, it wouldn't surprised me if it was real and they had a discussion over it before abandoning it.

Edit: Haha whatever man, we went off shore here. :D

If I were a betting man, I'd would say either game designers Emilia Schatz (U3, TLOU, U4) or Anthony Newman (U2, U3, TLOU, U4) would be next in line.

Those two are the co-lead game designers are PII. But I definitely expect them to move up into director positions in the future.

zsynqx

Those two are the co-lead game designers are PII. But I definitely expect them to move up into director positions in the future.
Richard Cambier as well

I'm not into Naughty Dog much apart from Crash and Jak, but many big name studios these days are losing long time employees (and going by the posts in this thread this person has quite a few fans), due to AAA pressure/deadlines/crunch you name it, then go setup an indie studio after a brief holiday, and start back up again with comparatively small projects to what they used to work previously. This has almost become a trend this past decade.

Not happening nor does the industry works like this, but imagine if MSFT hires this person, starts a new first party studio and signs a blank cheque. I bet he'll refuse it and still go indie, lol.

If he stays in games I'm almost certain he'll go indie.

I'm not into Naughty Dog much apart from Crash and Jak, but many big name studios these days are losing long time employees (and going by the posts in this thread this person has quite a few fans), due to AAA pressure/deadlines/crunch you name it, then go setup an indie studio after a brief holiday, and start back up again with comparatively small projects to what they used to work previously. This has almost become a trend this past decade.

Not happening nor does the industry works like this, but imagine if MSFT hires this person, starts a new first party studio and signs a blank cheque. I bet he'll refuse it and still go indie, lol.

Audioboxer

Does anyone have that Druckmann aging meme to hand? Working at ND ages you.

Thanks though Bruce, your legacy is amazing.

Sad to see him go, dude had such a great design philosophy emphasizing simplicity and core mechanics. Love the games he's worked on and I'm sure his work will have a lasting legacy at ND, and I hope whatever he ends up doing after this isn't quite so brutal, the dude deserves some work/life balance.

Alo0oy

Banned
Maybe, maybe not, but if it happened, it had nothing to do with him being a director or not. Considering how open ND is about listening to ideas from different people regardless of their role, it wouldn't surprised me if it was real and they had a discussion over it before abandoning it.

Edit: Haha whatever man, we went off shore here. :D

We're getting way off topic lol. It's all good though!

It doesn't matter if he had control or not

Where did I say he directed UC2? Speaking of misinformation...

WinFonda

i think this idea/meme that Neil is some edgelord fighting for nihilism and darkness at every turn needs to be shuttered

look at how he and the team helped close out U4's story

probably the most pitch perfect ending a video game will ever have

sure, it was likely a collective thinking by Naughty Dog at large on how to end Drake's story, but U4 ended up way more optimistic, upbeat, and most importantly true to itself and the series' spirit than I think anyone could have hoped for or even feared otherwise (including myself)

I wont lie, the main reason I was anticipating The Last of Us Part II was Bruce Straley.

He is a master of giving agency to the player even in moments where traditionally, control was stripped away in favor of being more cinematic.

Keep it in the controls. A big reason why Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us were so well received and became two of the best games of all time.

I know Naughty Dog is a talented studio and will continue to produce great, GOTY worthy games. I'm just not as sure anymore.

I don't want forced walking, and I don't want them to continue with the pacing of Uncharted 4, where the gameplay was spread out too thin. It seemed to me gameplay took a backseat in favor of story.

Alo0oy

Banned
It doesn't matter if he had control or not

Where did I say he directed UC2? Speaking of misinformation...

Sorry, but over on GAF & Reddit, a lot of people talk as if Druckmann is the director of UC2, pretending that Amy wasn't the actual director of that game.

I think some people should stop associating UC2 with Druckmann, it spreads a lot of misinformation about the game, didn't mean to attack you personally, it was a comment about that specific trend.

Ricky_R

I wont lie, the main reason I was anticipating The Last of Us Part II was Bruce Straley.

He is a master of giving agency to the player even in moments where traditionally, control was stripped away in favor of being more cinematic.

Keep it in the controls. A big reason why Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us were so well received and became two of the best games of all time.

I know Naughty Dog is a talented studio and will continue to produce great, GOTY worthy games. I'm just not as sure anymore.

I don't want forced walking, and I don't want them to continue with the pacing of Uncharted 4, where the gameplay was spread out too thin. It seemed to me gameplay took a backseat in favor of story.

He was never a part of TLOU2 though. Anyway, I'm sure they will continue that philosophy. It has become a staple at ND.

Whaaaaattt???
I thought he ltook a break and then go back at working at a 2nd ND game.

Yeah :(

17p30vinqwkjgjpg.jpg

let's also remember Bruce gave us the most boss E3 demo pose of ALL TIME

Hell yeah!

jacobeid

Banned
We're fortunate to have him as long as he did. Jason's book really highlighted just how much he worked to get UC4 up to snuf. I don't blame him at all, and I wish him the absolute best, but I'll be damned if this isn't a serious blow. I'm not concerned for ND though; Lost Legacy shows they have young talent who came up under Straley who can take over.

Top Bottom