• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Straley Leaves Naughty Dog

Where do you think Bruce Straley will end up next?

Results are only viewable after voting.

TripOpt55

Bruce Straley is my favorite game developer. I loved hearing him talk about game design. He had a big role in many of my all-time favorite games. Definitely a bummer to see him leaving Naughty Dog. I look forward to whatever he works on next. Hoping he stays in game development.

PR_rambo

Banned
Fuck, the last good director of Naughty Dog has left... ND no longer one of my top studios

Their shift to interactive movies instead of full on gameplay games nowadays is sad, gone are the days of Crash and Jak
They've made critically and commercially successful GAMES, bigger than Crash and Jak. I've really enjoyed watching Naughty Dog becoming one of the best in the business.

Adios Bruce, can never thank you enough for making some of the best games I've ever played.

statham

I can see Amy pulling him to help work on the starwars games, but I hope MS nabs him. They need a big 3rd person adventure game as it looks like QB didn't fair so well. I would love it also if he went to work for CD, but they almost have it nailed IMO. Don't think they really need him. Him rebooting PD would be amazing.

Nightfall

I'm missing a Thor: The Dark World option in the poll :(

It's sad for naughty dog and eventually all of us, but I wish him the best and it's probably the best decision he could make.

I can see Amy pulling him to help work on the starwars games, but I hope MS nabs him. They need a big 3rd person adventure game as it looks like QB didn't fair so well. I would love it also if he went to work for CD, but they almost have it nailed IMO. Don't think they really need him. Him rebooting PD would be amazing.

Just curious, do you play any PS games?

statham

Just curious, do you play any PS games?

Yers I played all 3 uncharted on PS3 and TLOU, edit: (and the killzones, heavily sword, exc/, but mainly adventure games) I'm very vocal about QD's games, as I thin they are system sellers for me, Its why I bought a PS3 last gen and waiting for beyond human to buy a ps4. I'm may be diehard Xbox, but I love adventure games.&Heavy Rain and beyond: two souls are 2 of my favorite games ever.

Not looking forward to an entirely Druckmann-led Naughty Dog.

Interesting that you say that, because in The Lost Legacy, in the opening credits, he is listed as "Director of Narrative Content" or something along those lines. One could expect him to approve all ND titles, which I personally see nothing wrong with.

Back to topic:

What else is there to say but thank you for all the years you have donated your life to creating and bringing out the best games in 30 years of Naughty Dog's history.

Drencrom

Thank you for all your hard work and the amazing games, Bruce!

After playing Unc:TLL I know his gamedesign philosophy will live on at ND.

Good luck and thanks for all you accomplished Bruce. Really nothing left to prove at Naughty Dog or even in gaming so if his heart wasn't all in it, that's the time to move on.

Thanks for everything Bruce,

You were the true mvp. I don't trust Druckmann on his own.
What exactly is this based on besides some made up version of him you/GAF has created from thin air?

Neil had solo writing credit on The Last of Us. He doesn't even have a solo writing credit on the sequel you 'don't trust' him with.

That is a new level of begging...

He has one hell of a resume, I think he can do anything he want and find someone to bankroll him. It's a matter of whether he want to go back to AAA dev or go smaller. Gut feeling he will set up his own small studio

Although. ND level crunch seems extra tough even compare to other studio. Maybe he still want to be in AAA dev just not at ND.

Heartfyre

Definitely wish him all the best. He's very capable of helming a great indie studio.

I also want to point out how well-written that resignation letter was. Bravo!

vinikun

Neo Member
I only got a chance to work with him on Uncharted 4. I vividly remember the night very close to submission date, we were working on tuning the difficulty of the final
Rafe
fight. We wanted to get Crushing just perfect. We were trying all kinds of things - modifiers to speed, different combos that only appeared at that difficulty, etc.

I remember the next morning, I forget the exact words but I see an email, something along the lines of grabbed coffee this morning and played it on Crushing, took me a few tries but I did it and it felt amazing.

Working with him was always a pleasure. He was always willing to try stuff just to see what it would feel like. He’d sit with you to hash out ideas until we both either walked away exhausted or satisfied. I’ll definitely miss him. His way of development will stick with me for a lifetime. Can’t wait to see what he’s cooking next.

I only got a chance to work with him on Uncharted 4. I vividly remember the night very close to submission date, we were working on tuning the difficulty of the final
Rafe
fight. We wanted to get Crushing just perfect. We were trying all kinds of things - modifiers to speed, different combos that only appeared at that difficulty, etc.

I remember the next morning, I forget the exact words but I see an email, something along the lines of grabbed coffee this morning and played it on Crushing, took me a few tries but I did it and it felt amazing.

Working with him was always a pleasure. He was always willing to try stuff just to see what it would feel like. He’d sit with you to hash out ideas until we both either walked away exhausted or satisfied. I’ll definitely miss him. His way of development will stick with me for a lifetime. Can’t wait to see what he’s cooking next.
Awesome story, thank you for sharing. :)

Tosyn_88

I really think Bruce has earned the right and good will of the industry to do whatever he wants. I really hope he finds something to excited and recharge his batteries again.

I will put my money down that Druckman is going to leave after the second chapter of TLOU ships.

I think ND as a studio have set a very high bar but they operate on the ethos of a small studio which is good as it helps collaboration happen faster but this relies on few individuals taking the responsibility of making major decisions. This will cause burn out way quicker than imaginable.

I'd hope that ND are making recruitment attempts or promotion understudy to take over the realms from the departing directors. In fact, I'd hope they are in process of setting up an understudy platform for promoting promising talent

Dynomutt

You stoopid and you petty. Dude is leaving to breathe and rest from the grind and all you can think about are warz. Lame straight up and down.

MS would be smart to get him and have him lead his own studio, with less need to be over worked hopefully.

You as well. Go eat a beet Dwight.

Drencrom

All of you saying "I hope he ends up at [my favourite dev]", I'm pretty sure Bruce isn't interested in AAA game development anymore.

You stoopid and you petty. Dude is leaving to breathe and rest from the grind and all you can think about are warz. Lame straight up and down.

I don't think leaving naughty dog necessarily mean he didnt want to do AAA game anymore though. It's just that being in ND comes with extra pressure and expectation on the team.

He could simply want to move away from that pressure and stress but still make AAA games.

AAA games truly burn out developers...........seeing how he went from Last of Us to UC4...i'm sure he deserve the big break and do whatever he wants...

I don't think leaving naughty dog necessarily mean he didnt want to do AAA game anymore though. It's just that being in ND comes with extra pressure and expectation on the team.

He could simply want to move away from that pressure and stress but still make AAA games.
They obviously could be working on something entirely new we don't know about but to your point ND is also still locked in to two franchises that he's been working on for a decade. Pretty understandable to be interested in moving on.

You realize this thread has a poll about where he’ll go next right?

It’s just interesting to wonder but if rest is what he needs I hope he can resist the money thrown at him & choose his own health firstly.

Bears beets battlestar galactica!

jdstorm

Banned
Just want to echo the gratitude and well wishes many of the others in this thread have said.

Thanks for great games Bruce. Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do next.

Thanks very much Bruce for working so so hard and delivering some of the greatest games I've ever played!

No doubt ND will miss his immense talent but I'm sure his design ethos has been imparted on the team.

Good luck to him on whatever he decides to do next.

zsynqx

Daww they look so young

https://twitter.com/Candace_Walker/status/908193058327486464
DJqMwvRUMAEeL4U.jpg:large

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This doesn't come as a big surprise after he announced that year-long sabbatical. He'll be missed there, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities for him now (if he stays in gaming that is).

They obviously could be working on something entirely new we don't know about but to your point ND is also still locked in to two franchises that he's been working on for a decade. Pretty understandable to be interested in moving on.
I mean, I don't see ND making Uncharted for a while. I suspect TLOU II is being made while a new IP is under pre-production. It would be a massive disappointment if they went on making Uncharted games from now on, and it's one of my favorite franchises. I also don't know if TLOU III will happen immediately after II.

I would be surprised if Bruce went to another AAA team tbh. U4 burned him out big time obviously, poor management on ND to let this happen :\ I see him either not working on the type of work he's done or smaller scale games as a director. Maybe he just needs a few years break from the AAA behemoth that swallows them all. :p Clearly one of the best in the business and will be a huge, huge miss.

I mean, I don't see ND making Uncharted for a while. I suspect TLOU II is being made while a new IP is under pre-production. It would be a massive disappointment if they went on making Uncharted games from now on, and it's one of my favorite franchises. I also don't know if TLOU III will happen immediately after II.
There wouldn't be anything disappointing to me if they made another Chloe helmed Uncharted game if that is what the people in that studio wanted to make. In some ways it'd be most disappointing if they didn't make a follow up given how good that game was and the potential it has to live on in a totally different way with a new protagonist.

My point was that when Bruce came back from his sabbatical, the studio was waist deep in two franchises he's worked on for a long time now and they will be working on them, in some capacity, for a bit longer as well. It probably helped the decision to move on.

There wouldn't be anything disappointing to me if they made another Chloe helmed Uncharted game if that is what the people in that studio wanted to make. In some ways it'd be most disappointing if they didn't make a follow up given how good that game was and the potential it has to live on in a totally different way with a new protagonist.

My point was that when Bruce came back from his sabbatical, the studio was waist deep in two franchises he's worked on for a long time now and they will be working on them, in some capacity, for a bit longer as well. It probably helped the decision to move on.

It's Uncharted, how much can it really change in 3 years from now? I don't even know how this statement bares much fruit. "It will be disappointing if they don't spend 2 decades burying a franchise into the ground, fuck new IPs"

If after TLL they are making a new IP which I believe they are, I don't see your point since the game came out and they're going to be start pre production soon.

Top Bottom