• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles of Awesome - The Official WiiWare Discussion Thread

samratty

Princess Skittles said:
So what are the best WiiWare games out there? So far I've bought Star Solider R (awesome), Gyrostarr (disappointing), Mega Man 9 (good) and Art Style: Orbient (awesome). I wish there were demos for everything (or anything, to be honest), I've been spoiled by the Xbox Live Arcade. How is Protöthea in particular?
Lost Winds and Toki Tori and great, Defend Your Castle is good casual coop fun. Bomberman Blast is incredible fun online and offline.

Can't comment on Protöthea, it's supposedly rubbish.

I wish they had demos too.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Haven't seen it mentioned here yet.

World of Goo set for Oct 13 in NA. 1500 Wii points.

PC version is $20, releases on the same day.

http://www.2dboy.com

Rock Paper Shotgun has the first review:

John Walker (Rock Paper Shotgun) said:
It’s a rare pleasure to find a game like this – one I’ve come back to again and again a week after completing it. 2008 seems to have marked a rise for the remarkable independent developer. Not only is the little guy influencing the megacorps, but he’s making some money out of it too. 2D Boy deserve to be at the front of this pack, their game a thing of astonishing joy. I’ve seen the broadest beams on the faces of colleagues trying to describe it. I’ve beamed throughout myself. Moving through the four seasons of levels has made me feel just so happy. Happy because of its wonderful atmosphere, and happy because it’s just so extraordinarily good. I adore World Of Goo, I want to show it to everyone I know, I want to use it to convince people that gaming is smart, and witty, and brilliantly original. I’ve run out of ways to say this: It’s beautiful.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/29/world-exclusive-world-of-goo-review/

Japanese Wiiware line-up as revealed at the latest Nintendo event :

Arc System Works :
- Okiraku Putter Golf
- Okiraku Sugoroku
- Okiraku Slot Car Racing

Agenda :
-Tataite ! Mogupon

A-Team :
-1 nuku ! Dasshutsu Game★ My Home Hen.

Cable Entertainment :
-Kappa-kun de Asobou

Cybird :
- Fortune ~ Sei no Furu Sosogu Oka

D3 :
- Simple series vol.1 : THE Block kuzushi neo
- Simple series vol.2 : THE Number PUzzle neo
- Simple series vol.3 : THE Mah-jongg
- Simple series vol.4 : THE Judo

EA :
- Saikyou Ginsei Mah-Jongg
- Saikyou Ginsei Gomoku Narabe

Fuji Soft :
- Minna de Theater

Gust :
- Game Sound Station

Grand Prix :
- I Am Boxer
- Space Babu
- Asteroid Belt

Game Arts
- Kage no Shounen, Hikari no Yousei [Boy of Shadow, Fairy of Light]

GameLoft :
- Brain Challenge
- Tokyo City★Nights
- Hamaru★Billiard

G-Mode
- Poppuru to Mahou no Crayon

Hudson :
- Tetris Party
- Cue Sports : Wifi Taisen Billiard
- Boards Warrior
- MADSECTA

Kotobuki Solution
- Sorcery Blade
- 3°C

Librica :
- Manga On

Luck Plus :
- Junshoku Keiji
- Shirokita KouKou Saisokubu

Milestone :
- Po-Ka-Zu
- Esairu (?) Wii
- Colorful Bridge Wii
- Saikororin Wii

MTO :
- Minna de Asobou ! Koinu de Kururin

Nippon Ichi Software :
- Let's hitch-hike

Palpetuum
- Yomi Kiku Asobi Wii

Sunsoft
- Minna de Taisen Puzzle Shanghai Wii

Sims :
- Derby Dog

Studio Zan :
- OverTurn

Taito :
- Rainbow Island Tower !!
- Bubble Bobble Wii

Takara Tomy
- Kurohige Kikiippatsu ! Wii

Tecmo :
- Tsuppari Oo-Sumo ! Wii Heyahen

Warabe
- Major League Eating

Xing :
- Karaoke Joysound Wii for Wiiware

Yama Entertainment :
- Sugusuro Duo

Yudo :
- Aero Drum

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0810/02/news126_3.html

A few familiar names in there...
Anyway, that's a decent amount of games, though I'm not really sure how interesting most of these will even turn out to be... Guess we will see what the upcoming TGS brings this service in term of support from Japanese companies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Rainbow Island! :eek:

I can't wait to see what S-E/Taito does with it. :D

The title of the Game Arts game sounds interesting too.

Ranger X

Princess Skittles said:
So what are the best WiiWare games out there? So far I've bought Star Solider R (awesome), Gyrostarr (disappointing), Mega Man 9 (good) and Art Style: Orbient (awesome). I wish there were demos for everything (or anything, to be honest), I've been spoiled by the Xbox Live Arcade. How is Protöthea in particular?

You really should play Lost Winds and Toki Tori. Especially Toki Tori.

It seems like Nintendo wasn't lying when they announced that over 100 Wiiware titles were in development. The list of already released and previous announced Wiiware titles on wikipedia is at around 60 titles, and this list adds over 20 more new titles. Add in the fact that Nintendo has a few more titles up its sleeve (the other two Art Style games coming out this month, plus whatever other secrets they have), and Wiiware is turning out to be filling up very, very fast. Its only a matter of time until there are more titles available on the VC/Wiiware than in retail. :lol

Ranger X said:

Alien Crush Returns already came out in Japan.

Gust :
- Game Sound Station

Gust's games supposedly have great music, right? Should be interesting.

Game Arts

I like the sound of that.

Milestone :
- PooKaaZuu
- Esairu (?) Wii
- Colorful Bridge Wii
- Saikororin Wii

Most of these will probably be garbage casual/non-games given their non-shmup output, but I hope at least one is a shmup. Colorful Bridge might be interesting. It certainly sounds better than a hula game.

I'm surprised SE doesn't have any upcoming games after their early support with FFCCMLaaK.

wsippel

Banned
MADSECTA sounds like a GotY candidate. The title alone makes it a must have.

Anyway, NIS, Gust and Game Arts are developing for Wii, yet not even one of the games seems to be an RPG judging by the titles. Aren't those developers famous for their RPGs? I actually thought NIS and Gust develop nothing but RPGs? Granted, I'm not a fan, so I wouldn't know - and their websites aren't really all that helpful, either...

Wheeliedude said:
I have 1200 Wii Points (I just bought MM9)
Should I get Art Style:Orbient or the first episode of the Strong Bad game?
Are you familiar with anything pertaining to strong bad? If not, then Orbient by default.

Provider

I got Orbient yesterday (and btw I got the awesome mario/luigi swimming secuence while downloading) but I haven't tried it yet. I need to get to this one before World of Goo comes out.

Man, I don't know half of what franchises those new games belong to! Can you help with that Storm?

One of particular interest, is Sims' (Fishing games, Tails Sky Patrol) is making "Derby Dog", what the fuck?

A dog racing game perhaps?

Also, I hope the better of those games will get Wii retail sequels.

This is my main criticism of WiiWare:

If a game you see looks really good, you can't help but wish it was retail so it can take full advantage of the Wii without worrying about the memory limitations!

But yeah, games like Bubble Bobble do make more sense on WiiWare. :p

Games like the Klonoa remake, belong on retail more than WiiWare in my opinion. And thank god it's so! :D

I absolutely adore Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands. A perfect version of BB would just be an arcade port plus level editor. Throw in online play and the ability to share levels and we're golden.

Hero of legend said:
Man, I don't know half of what franchises those new games belong to! Can you help with that Storm?
Someone over at GamerBytes tried to collect more infos about some of these games. Check this :

Arc System Works:
- Okiraku Putter Golf
- Okiraku Sugoroku
- Okiraku Slot Car Racing

Arc System Works, known better for their Guilty Gear fighting series, plan to bring three new titles to WiiWare. A Mini Golf game, odd considering it would mean there is competition now with Fun Fun Minigolf, They previously released Family Table Tennis on WiiWare. Sugoroku is an Japanese style Backgammon game, and Slot Car Racing? Well maybe it'll be like PixelJunk Racers.

Taito:
- Rainbow Island Tower
- Bubble Bobble Wii

After Space Invaders: Get Even, Taito are on a rampage on WiiWare, bringing back Rainbow Islands and Bubble Bobble back into the limelight. If it is done by them it would be the first time for many years that both franchises would be made by Taito themselves - they've been pushing them off to third parties for some time now.

But hey, this is now the second title that my "What needs to be a downloadable title" series has got right!

Tecmo:
- Tsuppari Oo-Sumo! Wii Heyahen

Tsuppari Oo-Sumo! was actually an old NES / SNES title - a Sumo game. Looks like it'll be coming back with WiiWare. Check out this article about the old games from Hardcore Gaming 101

Hudson:
- Cue Sports : Wifi Taisen Billiards
- Boards Warrior
- MADSECTA

Cue Sports was revealed by us a few weeks ago. Boards Warrior sounds like a bizarre WiiFit Board game, and I've got no idea on what MADSECTA is.

GameLoft:
- Brain Challenge
- Tokyo City Nights

Looks like Brain Challenge is now confirmed for WiiWare. Tokyo City Nights is actually a mobile title by GameLoft, somewhat of a dating sim.

Yudo :
- Aero Drum

Yudo have previously announced Aero Guitar. It looks like they're now expanding that to Drums now.
I would add :

D3 :
- Simple series vol.1 : THE Block kuzushi neo
- Simple series vol.2 : THE Number PUzzle neo
- Simple series vol.3 : THE Mah-jongg
- Simple series vol.4 : THE Judo

-> THE Block Kuzushi is actually an Arkanoid clone. THE NUmber Puzzle sounds like some Sudoku clone.

Kotobuki Solution
- Sorcery Blade
- 3°C

-> Sorcery Blade is originally a mobile RPG series. No idea about the other one. By the way, Kotobuki Solution is also known as Kemco, which is a subsidiary of this company.

Librica :
- Manga On

-> This is a series of interactive mangas published by some big names of the Japanese manga publishing industry.

Cable Entertainment :
-Kappa-kun de Asobou
(Kappa-kun no Ota no Shimikai)

-> Some edutainment software. This is the second episode of the Kappa-kun series that's coming to the Japanese Wiiware.

EA :
- Saikyou Ginsei Mah-Jongg
- Saikyou Ginsei Gomoku Narabe

-> The Gomoku Narabe seems like a variant of the Go game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I know one of WiiWare's strengths is that there's nominally no concept approval stage like Microsoft's, but... if Japanese devs are planning on releasing 200 card/board games and low-grade 400 point XBLA stuff every year until the Wii dies, Nintendo's really gotta try to reign things in.

Originally I was hoping that Nintendo's price controls would have stopped this sort of thing. Dev pitches shitty Mahjong game, Nintendo says "okay we'll put it up for 200 points", dev rethinks pitch.

Some people might tell me that I should let the marketplace of ideas take over, but that's bogus. Nintendo's shop interface is sufficiently bad that the shit doesn't sink and the gold doesn't float. Moreover, with storage concerns being what they are people are even less likely to delve into the "backlog" of available titles and pick that stuff up.

Also, D3 has some branding issues. They now have 3 sets of Simple Series games on the Wii. They did a half-dozen Simple Series games. All tanked even relative to D3's very modest expectations. Then they did Simple 2000 which has two installments. Now they're moving on to Simple Series WiiWare. Clearly the strategy is not working.

Great to hear Game Arts working on stuff and while I can hardly congratulate Taito for doing their 3943957459th version of Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands, at least those should be moderately enjoyable.

So in the non-WiiWare thread earlier a few of us were hoping Midnight Bowling would be a decent alternative to Wii Sports Bowling. However, it sounds like IGN thinks not.
Craig Harris said:
Unfortunately, any potential this game has is absolutely wrecked by crappy control. Gameloft clearly used Wii Bowling as foundation for how to aim, but when it comes to rolling the bowling ball down the lane it feels like the developer had no idea how to read the motion of the remote. The character walk is so quick you have absolutely no time to backswing, so when you make it to the line your character is left at the line with a spastic arm waiting for your movement to finish. It's so clunky trying to figure out how to throw soft or hard, or to put a spin on the ball that it's almost impossible to roll the ball consistently and successfully.

wsippel

Banned
Stormbringer said:
-> Sorcery Blade is originally a mobile RPG series. No idea about the other one. By the way, Kotobuki Solution is also known as Kemco, which is a subsidiary of this company.
And for some reason Kemco thought it would be a great idea to use Miis in an RPG that uses a completely different style for characters otherwise:

farnham said:
whats the game arts wii ware game..? that interests me

they are the developers of smash bros brawl right.>?

From the list above:
Game Arts

The title is all we know. They developed SSBB, but more notably they've been making RPGs since the 1980s, including the Lunar and Grandia series.

swerve

Stumpokapow said:
I know one of WiiWare's strengths is that there's nominally no concept approval stage like Microsoft's, but... if Japanese devs are planning on releasing 200 card/board games and low-grade 400 point XBLA stuff every year until the Wii dies, Nintendo's really gotta try to reign things in.

DS is like, the strongest console ever in Japan or whatever, right? Go take a look at the Japanese gamestore shelves and you'll see an *enormous* amount of basic and low grade games at half-to-full price.

I think they've decided that it's a good thing to let people decide the value of things for themselves.

Stumpokapow said:
Nintendo's shop interface is sufficiently bad that the shit doesn't sink and the gold doesn't float.

I disagree with this. I always go via 'most popular' first, then 'most recent'. And using Minna no nintendo channel you can browse the games and jump straight to the shop to buy them. It's by no means perfect, and it's far too slow, but it's very good at letting the popular games shine through. Plus, the people interested in the 'gamer' style games usually already know what they want before they get to the shop. The only exception to this for me has been 'aero guitar' which I still can't decide if I want.

A good case study would be the EA/Nintendo clash for Japanese table games.

EA have released Shogi, Go and Chess at 500 points each. Nintendo have released Shogi, Go and now Chess for 1000 points each. The Nintendo efforts are significantly more polished and involve net play, but they cost more and came out later. It'd be really interesting to see the sales for each. That way we'd be able to see the importance of 'first to market', brand loyalty, series loyalty (the EA games all share the same interface), and cost.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
swerve said:
DS is like, the strongest console ever in Japan or whatever, right? Go take a look at the Japanese gamestore shelves and you'll see an *enormous* amount of basic and low grade games at half-to-full price.

I think they've decided that it's a good thing to let people decide the value of things for themselves.

Right, and in a world where there's infinite space and all titles have an equal chance to shine, a marketplace of ideas works. The problem is I think retail fulfills that ideal a little bit better.

For one thing, we have no idea if WiiWare has a mechanism for price drops. In retail, the retailer orders the games in advance, pays the dev/pub, and pricedrops to clear unsold inventory. Whether or not they order again is a sort of dynamic thing.

On WiiWare, if a game doesn't sell it's not clear that Nintendo will price drop it or if the devs will get nothing as a result of their game being mispriced or not good enough initially.

I disagree with this. I always go via 'most popular' first, then 'most recent'. And using Minna no nintendo channel you can browse the games and jump straight to the shop to buy them. It's by no means perfect, and it's far too slow, but it's very good at letting the popular games shine through. Plus, the people interested in the 'gamer' style games usually already know what they want before they get to the shop. The only exception to this for me has been 'aero guitar' which I still can't decide if I want.

Minna no Nintendo goes a long way to help alleviate the problem I'm talking about. Like I said, there's nothing conceptually wrong with the idea of letting anyone release anything, but I just don't think it's well implemented right now.

Say I want a puzzle game. I browse by genre. I see Toki Tori, Groovin' Blocks, Gyrostarr, Block Breaker Deluxe, Potpourri, Plachttenene, yadda yadda yadda. There are no demos. So as a consumer, I have to go and research everything to make a decision. This makes the trying out of things very hard. on XBLA I get to download demos so I can get all of them and decide from there. There's no user rating. If I buy a game I don't like, I can't sell it back like I can at retail.

Most Popular is fine in that most of the stuff under Most Popular is pretty good. I can't complain about that. The problem is for the good stuff that's not popular, they are disadvantaged more and more because people who are just getting on the service will never dive that far deep in the backlog.

EA have released Shogi, Go and Chess at 500 points each. Nintendo have released Shogi, Go and now Chess for 1000 points each. The Nintendo efforts are significantly more polished and involve net play, but they cost more and came out later. It'd be really interesting to see the sales for each. That way we'd be able to see the importance of 'first to market', brand loyalty, series loyalty (the EA games all share the same interface), and cost.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this sort of thing except that two years from now if D3, EA, Nintendo, and, say, Yuke's all have Shogi, Go, and Chess, it's hard for me to easily figure out which is the one worth trying and in the mean time that's 12 entries on the per-genre list so other stuff in the same board/classic/card/tile genre will be stomped out.

If Nintendo had mandatory demos, integrated Minna no Nintendo into the shop and expanded it substantially, and had an obvious mechanism for discounting or bundling games, it'd go a very long way to solve library presentation issues. I just think as-is they're severe enough that library control would be better than doing nothing.

World of Goo for Wii has been reviewed by IGN. Final score - 9.5.

IGN said:
World of Goo is an amazing WiiWare game that you simply must buy for this is exactly the type of software that needs both recognition and support. A three-man team has created a title that is not only significantly cheaper than most retail Wii games, but a hell of a lot better in every regard, from concept to execution. It's packed full of brilliant, challenging levels. It's gorgeous. It's got beautiful music. And it controls really well. So if you value any or all of these qualities, and hopefully you do, you should be delighted to know that Nintendo's downloadable service is about to rock your world, goo style.

Top Bottom