• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles of Awesome - The Official WiiWare Discussion Thread

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
wiiware-threadtitle-banner2.jpg

Reggie Fils-Aime said:
"Independent developers armed with small budgets and big ideas will be able to get their original games into the marketplace to see if we can find the next smash hit," says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "WiiWare brings new levels of creativity and value to the ever-growing population of Wii owners."

The possibilities for WiiWare are limited only by the imaginations of developers. WiiWare rovides game creators a simple method by which they can get their games to the public. his approach, combined with the remarkable motion controls of the Wii Remote(TM) and Nunchuk(TM), will give birth to fresh takes on established genres, as well as original ideas that currently exist only in developers' minds. The reduced barriers to development provide developers the freedom to create and an inexpensive, clearly defined path to reach consumers who will ultimately determine which game will become the Next Big Thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS WiiWARE?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1. Downloadable game service & arcade, accessed in the Wii Shop Channel.
  2. Purchase games with Wii Points.
  3. Typical Game listed between 500-1500 Wii Points ($5 - $15).
  4. Now launched in all major territories.

RECOMMENDATIONS
At least one of us has played each one of these games, and these are our collective opinions of the game. If you have a different opinion or can make a case for why a game belongs under a different rating, feel free to try. Click the links for the official thread (or vital post) of each game.

GREAT -- Almost Everybody Loves these

AVERAGE -- Good Games That May Not Appeal To Everyone
  • TV Show King
  • Star Soldier R

BAD -- If You Spend Points On These You're Part Of The Problem

UPCOMING GAMES
The following have been revealed or announced. Click on the links for more information.

Announced Games | Developer
  • Alien Crush | Hudson
  • Animales de la Muerte | HighVoltage
  • Block Buster Deluxe | GameLoft
  • Blue Oasis | Hudson
  • Bomberman Wii Ware | Hudson
  • Bruiser and Scratch in he Case of the Puzzling Paw | SteelPennyGames
  • Butterfly Garden | Autonomous
  • Cocoto Fishing Master | NekoEntertainment
  • Crescendo | Konami
  • Eternity’s Child | LucBernard
  • Frat Party Games-BeerPong | JVGames
  • Fresco Beach | Konami
  • Gravitronix | MedaverseStudios
  • Gyrostarr | HighVoltage
  • Helix | Ghostfire
  • Home Sweet Home | BigBlueBubble
  • Joysound | Hudson
  • Last Flight | BlobberTeam
  • LIT | Way Forward
  • Lost Winds 2 | Frontier
  • Mad Stone | RivermanMedia
  • Major League Eating:TheGame | Mastiff
  • Midnight Bowling | GameLoft
  • Midnight Pool | GameLoft
  • My Pokemon Ranch | Nintendo
  • Pirates : The Key of Dreams | OxygenGames
  • Plättchen Twist n Paint | Bplus
  • Potpourrii | AbstractionGames
  • Project Bang! | EngineSoftware
  • Rolling Bloobs | BlobberTeam
  • Rose Princess | LucBernard
  • Shantae | WayForward
  • SPOGS Racing | ProntoGames
  • Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People | Telltale
  • Target Toss Pro : Bags | n-Space
  • Tetris | Hudson
  • Wordsnake | Alien8
  • World of Goo | 2DBoy

The Official Wii Thread Suite

Why do those three WiiWare games look better than most disc based Wii games? Also, Lost Winds gives off a very strong Klonoa 2 vibe.

Neo C.

sportzhead said:
Why do those three WiiWare games look better than most disc based Wii games?
build from the ground up. Some companies like Ubisoft can't even port properly. :(

batbeg

Very nice work PantherLotus! There's so much love for WiiWare, and some absolutely great titles out there, so this is awesome.

PantherLotus said:
[ ] Anyone willing to post a few fact-sheet posts for particular games? They should be like a miniature official post, with a few screens, a preview video, a synopsis, release date, developer, and most importantly, cost in Wii points. Feel free to include the banner. I will link the appropriate post (or thread if it gets an official one) to the banner in the OP.

I'm all about doing this. I'll do LostWinds (though it lacks an official price as of right now, we have an idea of price - plus I can update when it's confirmed).

You may want to find somewhere to mention that the manuals are not included in the WiiWare downloads, but only accessible online :-\

batbeg

wiiware-lostwinds.jpg

Developer: Frontier Developments (Thrillville: Off the Rails, The Outsider [upcoming PS360 title])
Genre: 2.5D Platformer
Players: Single
Release Date: May 12th (US)
Length: "A good few hours of fun"
Price: Unknown (500-1500 Wii points is the general opinion, will update when known)

LostWinds takes place in a vibrant world called Mistralis, which has had an evil cursed placed upon it by the villain Balasar. The task of freeing the world from this curse and Balasar’s reign falls to Toku, an ordinary boy who posesses no particularly unique abilities. Frontier Developments describe the game as a “single-player cooperative”, though, as you will control not only Toku, but also the wind spirit Enril. Utilizing the Wii remote, you will guide Toku through the games 22 connected areas to defeat Balasar and his minions - Toku with the analogue stick on the nunchuk, and Enril with the IR on the Wii remote.

Examples of how you use Enril are raising Toku to areas with gusts of wind by drawing paths, or slamming enemies into cliffs or throwing them in the air. Other powers are opened to Enril on the adventure, such as being able to suck up water or fire and unleash them onto the surroundings. This gives the game an open-ended approach to solving puzzles, and players are encouraged to play through areas multiple times, much like a Metroidvania style game.

The game is comprised of fully 3D graphics which react to the wind - plants blow, and Toku’s tunic sways. Though Enril is currently only represented as a cursor and trail of wind for now, the developers say he’ll have more physicality by release. Click on the pictures for larger ones.

batbeg

Blah, a bunch of my picture links are broken, need to fix that...

Okay, seems to be working :) I enjoyed getting all that stuff more than I should have, if nobody does any of the others I may do more later >.>

BishopLamont said:
Wow LostWinds looks better then most third party games for the Wii.

And it'll make better use of the Wiimote than most of them too.
And for like $10!
Seriously... third parties are pathetic.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I was wondering who was going to make the overture to become the Master and Commander of the WiiWare sect.

CTLance

Oooooh.
Good idea, PL. (and good job, batbeg)

I approve of this thread. Doesn't mean much, but I do.
Sadly enough, I also approve of raking Nintendo over hot coals for not supplying a storage solution by now. Ah well.
[X] Subscribed

Lost Winds looks like a PSP game at best. This shot in particular:
http://i30.tinypic.com/9gc7kk.jpg
reminds me somewhat of Daxter, at least in terms of texture quality, but Daxter has a lot more envirionmental detail. I'll still probably check it out since it sounds pretty interesting, but I honestly don't see why people are splooging over its graphics when every single Wii game I've played (SMG, MP3, Kororinpa, Dewy's Adventure, Zak & Wiki) looks a generation beyond it graphically.

nincompoop said:
reminds me somewhat of Daxter, at least in terms of texture quality, but Daxter has a lot more envirionmental detail. I'll still probably check it out since it sounds pretty interesting, but I honestly don't see why people are splooging over its graphics when every single Wii game I've played (SMG, MP3, Kororinpa, Dewy's Adventure, Zak & Wiki) looks a generation beyond it graphically.

Because it's clean, has solid models, and a good artstyle.

Edit: Also, I'd like to do a small rant about third parties.

Both Major League Eating and Defend You Castle has online multiplayer modes, as well as leader boards. These are small, indie devs making cheap games for download.
Yet, 2K (A major company with a long standing in the industry) can't put fucking online in MLB on the Wii? Yeah, guess what fuck heads, I'm not buying your shit as long as you continue to piss all over the Wii. There's no excuse anymore 3rd parties. None at all.

batbeg

nincompoop said:

Daxter also has the fortune of a gigabyte large UMD disc, whereas LostWinds is under 32 megabytes. For a downloadable title it looks magnificent, there really is just no denying this. But furthermore the game has a beautiful style with good color choices.

Besides that, people saying it looks good probably are not talking only about the graphics, believe it or not. The premise of using the wii remote for the wind spirit, and the boy with the nunchuk is very cool. Puzzle solving, 2d platformers are some of my favorites, and this sounds absolutely incredible (and, believe it or not, despite using the word "sounds" I am not referring to the audio, so comparisons to PSP quality sound is not necessary).

Art style is decent enough, but the image quality isn't anywhere close to being "clean". And while the character models are pretty decent, everything in the environment looks really low poly with extremely low res textures. Those last three points can also be applied to most PSP games, which is why it reminds me of a PSP game graphically.
batbeg said:
Besides that, people saying it looks good probably are not talking only about the graphics, believe it or not. The premise of using the wii remote for the wind spirit, and the boy with the nunchuk is very cool. Puzzle solving, 2d platformers are some of my favorites, and this sounds absolutely incredible (and, believe it or not, despite using the word "sounds" I am not referring to the audio, so comparisons to PSP quality sound is not necessary).
Usually when people say things like "best-looking game on Wii" or "why can't other Wii games look this good" its understood that they're referring to graphical quality.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Lack of HDD sucks, but whatever, I can't resist those 3 launch titles on the OP.

Neo C.

If someone make some +/- comparisons between XBLA, PSN and Wiiware, I will really appreciate it. I know some of the differences (for example, XBLA games must have HD content), but especially the difference between Wiiware and PSN isn't clear to me.

And why haven't we seen a few multiplatform games? Of course the controls might be difficult to translate, but in terms of graphics it's just more or less up- or downscaling, isn't it?

Amir0x

Banned
Same things apply to these banners, PantherLotus, as the ones from your other thread, just so there's no confusion. Carry on.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
thread masters, i salute thee.

also, surfergirl said something about wii motosports airplane coming to wiiware, which would be damn feaking cool if true an fucking unacceptable if not.

angelfly

My Life as a King and Lost Winds look awesome. I can't wait for WiiWare to launch although I really wish Nintendo would address the storage problem by then. Having to manage space everytime you want something new is annoying. Just let use use a usb drive even if it has to be formatted with a proprietary fs.

Gagaman

Neo C. said:
And why haven't we seen a few multiplatform games? Of course the controls might be difficult to translate, but in terms of graphics it's just more or less up- or downscaling, isn't it?

Too right. If Bomberman Live and Pac Man Championship Edition came to Wiiware, I wouldn't even be vaguely tempted to buy a 360 anymore! (Sorry I'm not one of the real gamerzzz)

Looking forward to seeing some footage of LostWinds, Defend Your Castle and the new version of Eternity's Child. Great to see so many unique indie games planned for the service already; these guys clearly have more passion for the hardware than most retail third parties. Here's hoping for the likes of Fez, Splume and Off-Road Velociraptor Safari. :D

ckeur

wiiware-starsoldierR.jpg

Developer: Hudson Soft (Mario Party, Bomberman, Neutopia, Adventure Island, Deca Sports, Bonk series, etc ...)
Genre: Vertical Scrolling Shooter
Players: Single
Release Date: 2008
Price: Unknown (500-1500 Wii points is the general opinion, will update when known)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pKO2LW6sc

Star Soldier R is a new game in the Star Soldier series, a vertical shooter, or shmup. Classic gameplay is combined with 3D graphics to create a great WiiWare experience.

Classic Star Soldier features return in this installment, such as (obviously) being a vertical scrolling shooter, 3 adjustable speed's for a player ship, and bonus points for achieving a certain score.

There are two primary power ups, a red capsule and a blue capsule. Red power-ups aid in offense, increasing the power of shots until a five-way shot is achieved. Blue power-ups give the ship "Force" which protects the ship from enemy attacks. The "Force" can also be separated from the ship to attack enemies.

star_soldier_r_famitsu_screens_8.jpg
star_soldier_r_famitsu_screens_7.jpg

star_soldier_r_famitsu_screens_5.jpg
star_soldier_r_famitsu_screens_6.jpg

star_soldier_r_famitsu_screens_9.jpg
star_soldier_r_famitsu_screens_10.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
wiiware-majorleagueeatingthegame-ba.jpg
mle.jpg

Developer: Sensory Sweep (previous work) / Mastiff (previous work)
Genre: Sports?
Players: 1 - 2
Release Date: May 12th (WiiWare launch)
Price: TBA
Features: Online/offline 2 player mode and online leader boards.

Coming from the developers of Alvin and the Chipmunks: the game, Jackass DS, and the Xbox Live Arcade port of Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting, Major League Eating: the game is set to enlarge the waistline of WiiWare this May, when it launches with the service. The game will feature many stars from the competitive eating world, an online multiplayer mode, and online leader boards. Players will use the wii-remote to reenact the same motions that gurgitory athletes make when competing, as well as for more outlandish, fighting game-esque combat moves involving mustard gas and jalapeño flames!

Can you master "the cram," "the toss," and "the typewriter?" Find out this May!

Source(s): Wii.IGN: New WiiWare Game: Major League Eating

Debut Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32619.html

Screens:
major-league-eating-the-game-200802.jpg

Eteric Rice

I'm more interested in Wii-ware games than I am most disk games. :O

Hopefully Nintendo lets the Wii population know that WiiWare exists when they release it.

To be precise, I'd buy 6 out of 8 of the games listed.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Provider said:
I was about to suggest this one I made using the one crappy screenshot of the Game, but yours is better.

wiiware-majorleagueeatingthegame-ba.jpg

Yours is good too!

Anyway, I think I'll turn the post above into a "mini-official game thread" post. I'm doing the little write up of the information current known, but it is amazingly harder than you'd think.

VegaShinra

Lost Wind, Star Soldier, and FF:CC, are going to be great. Then we get Dr. Mario online from Nintendo somewhere down the line. WiiWare should be good once it releases. Come E3, Nintendo better announce a HDD add-on for those of us who want it or SD card support so the Wii can read directly from it.

ksamedi

Eteric Rice said:
I'm more interested in Wii-ware games than I am most disk games. :O

Hopefully Nintendo lets the Wii population know that WiiWare exists when they release it.

To be precise, I'd buy 6 out of 8 of the games listed.

How could they not know, Nintendo will send a Wiiconnect24 message to every Wii with a internet connection.

Provider

I'd like to submit this banner for Eternity's Child

wiiware-eternityschild-banner.jpg

Of course that's not the real logo, but the current banner with no link or title doesn't say much.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
nincompoop said:
Art style is decent enough, but the image quality isn't anywhere close to being "clean". And while the character models are pretty decent, everything in the environment looks really low poly with extremely low res textures. Those last three points can also be applied to most PSP games, which is why it reminds me of a PSP game graphically.

Usually when people say things like "best-looking game on Wii" or "why can't other Wii games look this good" its understood that they're referring to graphical quality.

I think the majority of those comments are not based in reality, and honestly, you're right. What those people are referring to is the perception that 90% of everything on the Wii looks like CAR VAULT!! We all know that isn't true.

However, the point DOES stand that this little 15-dollar game DOES look better than some of those full-priced games, like that CAR VAULT game and everything that has come out of Destineer.

I think a lot of it has to do with diminshed expectations for the Wii. Nobody expects DLC on a last-gen system to look this good. While we're at it, I would absolutely discontinue the comparisons to PSP. Nobody else is bringing that up but you.

Top Bottom