• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie on Destiny PC: "We're not saying we're not going to do it."

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
. Also, Destiny is always online as well. Something that would piss off PC gamers.

Yes, that's why DOTA and BF4 PC are really struggling. Those backwards PC gamers hate that Internet thingy and refuse to connect to it.

I'm interested if they contract out the port job. I dont trust Bungie to make a competent port on PC. Console platform? Sure. But I dont trust them on PC. Dont think they are good enough.

Vibranium

Banned
Who even cares? Did anyone play halo on PC? If they did, they just saw how crap console made the fps anyways.

Watch out, we've got a diggmcbadass here!

On topic: I'll get it for PS4 probably but PC double-dipping would be nice. Still, it's not something I'll lose sleep over, similar to the possibility of the Halo trilogy coming to Steam.

Who even cares? Did anyone play halo on PC? If they did, they just saw how crap console made the fps anyways.

tcsDGzZ.gif

I say read between the lines. Seems like a reasonable conclusion that a late PC version is coming.

I can wait. If there's no sign after a year or so I'll get it on PS4 (which I'll presumably own by then!) for a nice price.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
i would argue that deception is not an acceptable business model, fullstop. If you can't announce a port because you have no idea when it'll be ready or contractual obligations prevent you from technically confirming it or whatever, that's one thing. But if it's because you want people to buy your game multiple times and you think if you lie to them they will, that's... really not okay.
That's a fair assessment, but that's also kind of where I think the industry is at with both some PC ports and a lot of next-gen late ports.

i would argue that deception is not an acceptable business model, fullstop. If you can't announce a port because you have no idea when it'll be ready or contractual obligations prevent you from technically confirming it or whatever, that's one thing. But if it's because you want people to buy your game multiple times and you think if you lie to them they will, that's... really not okay.

There are many, many, things that aren't ok in this industry. People don't care. If you do care... it's frustrating.

Grief.exe

500 person development team.
Massive investment by Activision who tends to be PC friendly.

Its strange that Activision wouldn't want this on PC day one in order to recoup more of their investment. There would be no threat of piracy due to the always-online nature of the game, and there is obviously no budget shortage.

Something very fishy is going on here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stupid console agreements. I bet they made a deal with Sony/Microsoft to not make a PC version.
Fuck off and just make it for the PC. It's not that fucking hard.
Tell us how you really feel.

Or why you choose to go outside the realm of reality to rationalize their decisions.

Dear industry, stop treating PC gamers like shit.
They're treating PC gamers for shit because they're going out of their way to cater to your platform? Why is it that if a developer makes a decision to make a game for consoles [first] they get treated like shit under some presumption that they're doing it to spite PC gamers or purposely keep away from a market?

Jesus the absence of logic in these types of threads begging for PC ports is baffling still. How hard is it to grasp the concept of limited resources? I figured PC gamers would be thankful PC was even listed in the original contract but people turn on a dime when they don't get what they want when they want when stuff like catering to markets where they built their core fanbases first and foremost are priorities.

Its strange that Activision wouldn't want this on PC day one in order to recoup more of their investment. There would be no threat of piracy due to the always-online nature of the game, and there is obviously no budget shortage.

Or maybe it's resources means more than just money. Resources are not infinite, neither is money as much as you'd like to assume that to try and construe some sort of anti-PC agenda out of this.

Ogimachi

Fuck off with this stupid shit.

Everyone with half a brain knows you're making a PC port, and everyone with the aforementioned brain matter knows you can't say shit because you assholes decided to partner up with the cancer of the industry to publish the title.
It might not be Bungie making the PC port, though. What was their last PC game? Oni? Myth 2?

The idea that PC development is "cheap" is fucking absurd. Yes, they don't need to pay money to console manufacturers which seems like, yeah, that's cheap. Except they need to make a PC version that takes into accounts hundreds of video cards/sound cards/operating systems/cpus/OS's/etc. It takes time. Time is money. Not the cliche, literally.

You do it later when you have time... and you may get double dips... time + money spent = sure!

ramuh

The idea that PC development is "cheap" is fucking absurd. Yes, they don't need to pay money to console manufacturers which seems like, yeah, that's cheap. Except they need to make a PC version that takes into accounts hundreds of video cards/sound cards/operating systems/cpus/OS's/etc. It takes time. Time is money. Not the cliche, literally.

You do it later when you have time... and you may get double dips... time + money spent = sure!

This. Let them focus on the console part of it first then work on PC development (or outside help for that) I think they are just excited to get their new IP off the ground.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bungie doesn't strike me as the type that'd want to outsource PC development either. They'd likely keep it in-house, and consoles are obviously the priority, for good reason.

They won't do it unless it's done right, and if people just want some shitty ass port with no scaleability for different machines and well thought out UIs and controls that take advantage of the PC's strengths as a platform, then I don't want a half-baked PC version either.

I can see Destiny in 2014 on consoles, and then maybe a PC version of Destiny with Comet bundled in in 2015. Then from Destiny 2 / Comet 2 forward, simultaneous releases.

TrounceX

Getting a little tired of the back and forth with this.

Just a bit of transparency from Bungie on this issue would go a long ways.

What I hope will happen: Destiny releases at launch for PC Sep 9th.

What will more likely happen, if it does at all: Focus on consoles, delayed release of Destiny "1" for PC at a later time (+6months-1year).

What my gut tells me: Activision + Bungie wait&see approach. If Destiny "1" does well enough on consoles, port/develop Destiny "2" on PC.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Getting a little tired of the back and forth with this.

Just a bit of transparency from Bungie on this issue would go a long ways.
What about transparency if it hasn't been decided yet?

Bungie needs to stop talking about it at all. I think that they just keep getting asked about it though and they just keep giving the same answer and a story is materialized from it to gain some revenue.

Most of all they need to start talking about the game itself. Every Destiny thread has people posting going, "wait, I thought it was a Hentai racing game slash MMO?", which speaks a lot to how they've handled the information for this game. I think announcing it early and then having the delay really messed with their marketing.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Do you think my PC behaves exactly like your PC? What graphics card do you have? How much RAM do you have? How much RAM does your graphics card have? What is your CPU? Are you using dual graphics cards? What OS are you using?

At the beginning of the release for Hotline Miami, I had delve to make a tweak to my printer spooler? part of my OS in order to get it to work properly.

Consoles are nice because you know that (unless they're modded) they have the same hardware and software specifications across the board. It makes QA a lot easier.

TrounceX

What about transparency if it hasn't been decided yet?

Bungie needs to stop talking about it at all. I think that they just keep getting asked about it though and they just keep giving the same answer and a story is materialized from it to gain some revenue.

Most of all they need to start talking about the game itself. Every Destiny thread has people posting going, "wait, I thought it was a Hentai racing game slash MMO?", which speaks a lot to how they've handled the information for this game. I think announcing it early and then having the delay really messed with their marketing.

Feels a bit late in the development cycle to have honestly not made a decision.

I agree though, just stop talking about it or just say flat out that we haven't made a decision yet.

Don't be like "no there's not a PC port lets be absolutely clear"

and then say "we're not saying we're not doing a PC port"

like wtf?

Grief.exe

Do you think my PC behaves exactly like your PC? What graphics card do you have? How much RAM do you have? How much RAM does your graphics card have? What is your CPU? Are you using dual graphics cards? What OS are you using?

At the beginning of the release for Hotline Miami, I had delve to make a tweak to my printer spooler? part of my OS in order to get it to work properly.

Consoles are nice because you know that (unless they're modded) they have the same hardware and software specifications across the board. It makes QA a lot easier.

You guys seem to think I'm saying something vastly different then the point I was trying to make.

I never made the point that there aren't thousands of different hardware configurations, or that the port can be done easily and cheaply.

Just pointing out that there is a lot of money at play here and a PC version would make a lot of sense from a large publisher perspective. Especially from a publisher who has ported the majority of their titles to PC in the past.

I've read back through what I wrote 3 times now and I'm wondering where you guys came up with this. Maybe quoted the wrong person?

There are many, many, things that aren't ok in this industry. People don't care. If you do care... it's frustrating.
True words.

Though bait-and-switch-as-business model seems to be popular with all forms of tech right now, with hardware lock-in and unregulated and undefined service ecosystems leading the charge.

It always maddens me to see such dysfunctional relationships between businesses that have skilled, creative people, and wonderful in-demand products, and an audience more than willing to open their wallets up completely if the value proposition is obviously there.

Its the zero sum mentality and deceptive, minimal effort work ethic that fucks everything up imho.

Well, I was kind of excited at the prospect of getting to play another bungie game on PC, but if you're not going to make it, well, my steam backlog is already huge. Multiplayer games are community based, so at least some effort in building the community is necessary for me to be interested at all. Still have fond memories of Myth, but that was a long time ago...

Zomba13

They're treating PC gamers for shit because they're going out of their way to cater to your platform? Why is it that if a developer makes a decision to make a game for consoles [first] they get treated like shit under some presumption that they're doing it to spite PC gamers or purposely keep away from a market?

Jesus the absence of logic in these types of threads begging for PC ports is baffling still. How hard is it to grasp the concept of limited resources? I figured PC gamers would be thankful PC was even listed in the original contract but people turn on a dime when they don't get what they want when they want when stuff like catering to markets where they built their core fanbases first and foremost are priorities.

Or maybe it's resources means more than just money. Resources are not infinite, neither is money as much as you'd like to assume that to try and construe some sort of anti-PC agenda out of this.

How are they catering to the PC platform by not even fucking saying if it will or will not be released there? If they say "You, we're making a PC version but it might be a bit after the console version." people would be happy. Right now they are giving total non-answers in regards to a PC version. There may or may not be a PC version in development or even planned at all.

If they said "We'll do a PC port if it sells well" or "We aren't going to do a PC port unless we get 50,000 people to sign this online petition to show demand" then we'd be a bit more understanding. It'd be like if they were cagey about an Xbone version. Like, saying it's not Sony exlusive but giving no details at all about a possible version on MS platforms. It's annoying.

Also, didn't Bungie build a core fanbase first with Marathon on Mac and their other computer offerings? They quickly abandoned that stuff with Halo. Why can't the branch back out with Destiny?

Kssio_Aug

Im probably one of a few that prefer playing FPS at consoles than at PC. The reason for me is balance; at consoles everyone will be playing with the same control. At PC some play with a pretty basic keyboard and mouse (my case btw) and some with really alien acessories! I really believe that console gaming is more fair play!

Sdoots

Already ordered it for PS4 on Amazon. Would rather play on PC, and hearing them keep coming back to these teases is driving me nuts. Let me make an informed purchase, don't fucking tease me once the dust settles.

Ugh.

Top Bottom