• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Kibbles

Gspark said:
Look on the bright side!!! Luke Smith could be on 1UP Yours tomorrow to explain everything.
No, they just updated and said their friend can not make it.

AKA because of no announcement, Luke isn't going to be there.

tyler

Bungie already throw a lot of shit Microsofts way (see DLC pricing) rightly or wrongly, why not this fragrant pile.

clashfan said:
It's pretty easy to understand why they stopped this. The FFXIII news was going to take away from the Bungie game. They want to make this new game a special announcement.
I see it the other way. Bungie news would take away from the Gears coverage.

MMaRsu

Banned
But seriously, sorry for the Bungie guys..They have worked hard on this announcement, only to be swept from under their feet at the last minute. That's fucked up.

KdoubleA

JdFoX187 said:
You did it to yourself. It's a fucking ANNOUNCEMENT. I've never seen people get this upset over a game being delayed, let alone an ANNOUNCEMENT getting delayed.

Even so, who knows what the countdown would have lead to? Sure, it's disappointing, but you hardly got "fucked."

Ofcourse no one got "fucked" lol but we are genuinely sad about this. This announcement was pretty much all I was looking forward to hearing this E3. I was excited to hear what Bungie's been up to. Sure, it's just an announcement but....it's Bungie's :lol

Draft

Wow, Bungie still getting pushed around by a publisher? Didn't squirrel away any of that Halo Mountain Dew revenue? Going independent but still under the yoke of some evil company. Tsk tsk.

squicken

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168765

Sam Kennedy said:
Could Bungie be announcing multiplatform development considering it's now somewhat freed from its Microsoft ties? Could Bungie be publishing a game for a different publisher (since it didn't mention Microsoft by name in its statement)? [Ed's note: Bungie has clarified that it is Microsoft]. Were there legal issues that prevented Bungie from being able to announce a new product?

Our assumption is that it likely has something to do with Microsoft's emphasis on Gears of War 2 for this year, and not mixing the message with any Bungie or Halo related products at E3. Note that Halo (Wars or otherwise), was mysteriously absent from Microsoft's press conference yesterday. It's possible that either Epic or Microsoft felt that any announcement from Bungie could have overshadowed Gears of War 2 and thus raised a stink. It wouldn't have been the first time two first person shooters were in a feud for attention at E3 -- there was lots of behind the scenes politicking at Sony two years ago for which first person shooter, Resistance or Killzone 2, would be showcased at the company's E3 press conference. Resistance was shown because it was the game that would be released alongside the system.

KdoubleA said:
Ofcourse no one got "fucked" lol but we are genuinely sad about this. This announcement was pretty much all I was looking forward to hearing this E3. I was excited to hear what Bungie's been up to. Sure, it's just an announcement but....it's Bungie's :lol

Yup. Bungie loves us. Why shouldn't we love them?

Kibbles

I'm bored as hell right now so I went to check the rage that was going on at the Bnet forums.

Someone on Bungie.net saw this earlier.

bungieso6.jpg

GhaleonEB

Draft said:
Wow, Bungie still getting pushed around by a publisher? Didn't squirrel away any of that Halo Mountain Dew revenue? Going independent but still under the yoke of some evil company. Tsk tsk.
It wasn't a clean divorce. From the interviews at the time, it sounds like MS has the first few projects Bungie does.

PS2 KID

MaritalWheat said:
Jesus, B-net forums are a mess. What the fuck is MS thinking? BUNGIE MADE THE XBOX! NO BUNGIE, XBOX WOULD BE DEAD! Can they not announce something they've clearly planned out well at their own pleasure?!

Unfortunately high, don't they have the whole deal w/ them that MS gets first dibs on all projects in return for becoming indie?

Well yeah, we all KNOW that Bungie made the XBOX but now that it's 'independent', it's a chess piece. One that will used at the most opportune time by Microsoft. MS as the publisher is calling the shots. As much as Bungie wants to show us their new title, they really can't object to MS' last minute decision.

Draft said:

This is what I don't get, either. I pictured Bungie in a position where they could actually make quite a few demands, after their separation from Microsoft... After all, I doubt Microsoft wants them to start working for other platforms.

Of course, I could be wrong. :\

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
The blame lies with Nintendo & Sony, they both dropped the ball. :D

MS shouldn't have pulled this real life Wednesdayton. :lol

LukeSmith said:
Our publisher is Microsoft.

Then why does it not say Microsoft? Seems stupid to me. "Our publisher" is ambigious, especially since you're not exclusive property of Microsoft anymore, technically. I think it's fairly reasonable to get suspecious over it, thank you very much.

Either way, the whole countdown thing is a mess. In all honesty, sorry to hear about this--to the Bungie guys, too. I just disapprove of these timer things for this very reason. Not to sound pessimistic, but yeah.

GhaleonEB

FateBreaker said:
Either way, the whole countdown thing is a mess. In all honesty, sorry to hear about this--to the Bungie guys, too. I just disapprove of these timer things for this very reason. Not to sound pessimistic, but yeah.
I'm trying to think of a precedent for a major publisher to yank an announcement that had been promised from a major studio before. I don't think there is one. It's probably safe to say Bungie didn't see this coming.

Draft

When Blizzard does countdowns you can be DAMN sure no one gives a shit if a suit from Vivendi or Activision calls up.

Publisher demands :lol

Just print the damn boxes and book some EGM ad space, morans.

Why would Bungie, that worked hard to get away from MS, sign a deal giving Microsoft such powerful control over their next game?

(I'm just asking out of curiosity, I wasn't on the hype train, nor am I a fan of the Halo games. I just find the situation so odd, and fail to see a positive benefit for a publisher to do something like this, angering fans and creating bad blood with such a popular and lucrative developer.)

Orlics said:
His speech has Seven lines. WHAT DOES IT MEAN GUYS WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Don't you dare even attempt to make this seem like a joke!

:-( I want to believe.

Maybe MS will change their mind after seeing the uproar this is causing?

*Edit* Oh, and his update was posted at 7pm! All the 7's!!

I don't know how to react to this; I don't know what to believe. What Kibbles posted on this page, the fact that the countdown timer was MEANT to stop with 12 hours remaining, the notice being posted at 7 pm, what Luke said in the last update, the SuperIntendent posting "THERE WILL BE DELAYS," etc.

Draft said:
Just print the damn boxes and book some EGM ad space, morans.
Please tell me you aren't beings serious. Don't insult Bungie.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
JasonUresti said:
Why would Bungie, that worked hard to get away from MS, sign a deal giving Microsoft such powerful control over their next game?

It would stand to reason that they were already in production on the two titles that MGS is publishing.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm trying to think of a precedent for a major publisher to yank an announcement that had been promised from a major studio before. I don't think there is one. It's probably safe to say Bungie didn't see this coming.

Well, obviously. If they had seen it coming, there wouldn't have been a countdown in the first place, or at least they wouldn't have let it get to the end before confirming that the announcement wasn't happening.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Doesn't the way the message is posted look alot like the way "ilovebees" looked like?

sgsgdc_1.jpg

bungieannounce.jpg

And this whole posted at 7, with 7 lines, Smells like an ARG to me.

**EDIT** Turns out that Harold Ryan is the president, my mistake
**DOUBLE EDIT** I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dax01 said:
I don't know how to react to this; I don't know what to believe. What Kibbles posted on this page, the fact that the countdown timer was MEANT to stop with 12 hours remaining, the notice being posted at 7 pm, what Luke said in the last update, the SuperIntendent posting "THERE WILL BE DELAYS," etc.

What did luke say in his last update?

Top Bottom