• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Digi V

Banned
nyong said:
2. Microsoft cancelled the announcement due to Nintendo's unveling of WiiMotion Plus.

Seriously, I don't think that's the case. If Bungie and Microsoft were working on a motion controller game I bet a lot on the fact that it would be a pretty significant step over anything released on the Wii.

The WiiMotion Plus wouldn't be anything to cancel a very prepared announcement. Chances are a Microsoft executive just figured it wasn't needed for this event and decided to save a very big trump card for later use.

Proelite

soldat7 said:
Right. Because surely any disappointment that they might be feeling right now can't possibly be related to the hours upon hours of hard work and their serious dedication to pleasing their fans. Silly Bungie.

They didn't lose their hard work. All they need to do is to change some parameters in their network code in the future, and hype is back stronger than ever.

MMaRsu

Banned
nyong said:
Ok, here is my guess clarified so it doesn't look quite as insane(imo heh). I think one of two things probably happened.

1. This is all an elaborate set-up and the announcement will happen as planned.

2. Microsoft cancelled the announcement due to Nintendo's unveling of WiiMotion Plus.

Here's why this makes sense:

- Microsoft is not stupid. Cancelling the announcement is a huge blow to Bungie fans. They have GOT to have a good reason for slapping us in the face.

- Many people expected an unveiling of Microsoft's new motion controller at E3.

- Microsoft hastily decided to cancel their motion controller unveiling and quickly throw together an FF13 announcement that was originally planned for the future. The FF13 announcement seemed hastily put together and poorly planned/executed. Why recycle the same trailer and just slap an MS logo at the end?

- Whatever title or expansion that Bungie was working on utilized this new motion controller. Microsoft had no choice but to postone the announcement.

- The timing on the Bungie announcement would have made perfect sense because it wouldn't have detracted from Gears, and was aimed towards the hardcore demographics. In otherwords, it wasn't really an E3 annoucement.

You are truly forgetting 1 thing. Wii motion plus was announced a day before the conferences started right? Why not just cancel this announcement that same day?

nyong

Banned
MMaRsu said:
You are truly forgetting 1 thing. Wii motion plus was announced a day before the conferences started right? Why not just cancel this announcement that same day?

Maybe it was? One day or a few hours. It's still not much time to change plans that were probably made months in advance. The recycled trailer and the way it was presented are extremely suspicious to me. Given only a few days (max) to make changes, this is exactly what I would do with the resources on hand.

jacobs34

This thread just turned into something out of the Lost forums where we all try to figure out whats going on with the Smoke Monster. I love it!

Kongo

Neo Member
Im still kind of disappointed at this, i went onto the Bungie forums and noticed it was complete chaos in there and i read around, refreshed my countdown page and saw what happened. Then i also noticed a thread that says that if you keep an eye on the Bungie logo on the top left of the page, every so often the Superintendent will be shown for a few seconds. It also appears that the new message where the countdown is shown that there is a new message on the side. Compare these 2 images to see what i mean.

First (Without the text on the side)
http://www.bungie.net/images/games/Reboot_homePage_03.jpg

Second (Newest one with the message on the side)
http://www.bungie.net/images/games/Reboot_homePage_04.jpg

Another thing i noticed is where the image is placed. The image was placed in the games category so we know its a game, and the fact that it says "Reboot_homePage_04" makes me wonder what Reboot is referring to.l

Bryant

nyong said:
Ok, here is my guess clarified so it doesn't look quite as insane(imo heh). I think one of two things probably happened.

1. This is all an elaborate set-up and the announcement will happen as planned.

Here's why this makes sense:

- Microsoft is not stupid. Cancelling the announcement is a huge blow to Bungie fans. They have GOT to have a good reason for slapping us in the face.

- Many people expected an unveiling of Microsoft's new motion controller at E3.

- Microsoft hastily decided to cancel their motion controller unveiling and quickly throw together an FF13 announcement that was originally planned for the future. The FF13 announcement seemed hastily put together and poorly planned/executed. Why recycle the same trailer and just slap an MS logo at the end?

- Whatever title or expansion that Bungie was working on utilized this new motion controller. Microsoft had no choice but to postone the announcement.

- The timing on the Bungie announcement would have made perfect sense because it wouldn't have detracted from Gears, and was aimed towards the hardcore demographics. In otherwords, it wasn't really an E3 annoucement.

If I recall, Gears 2 wasn't announced at E3 07 for some of the same reasons. Keeping the hype on the big game (Halo 3 at the time) competition, etc. I mean if this Bungie game is some sort of Halo game, it will be the Microsoft game of Holiday 09. Why start hyping a game that wont come out for another year a half? (max), the Gears are turning.

but I still believe.

Digi V

Banned
Can people please stop the none-sense. A company president doesn't come out and write a letter for no apparent reason other than the fact that he needs to. This isn't a set up, or a shame, it's just a corporate strategic move by Microsoft.

/thread.

Wizman23

Banned
A Halo motion controlled game makes me want to puke. Maybe that was the plan and MS watched Nintendo cater to 5 year olds, soccer moms, and nursing home old farts during the Nintendo press conference and simply said fuck this we aren't going there.

KAOS

If this whole thing going down is true what's to stop someone from bungie from leaking any info on the game? If the news of bungie breaking away from MS was leaked why can't this! MS has a weird ,"and one more thing" vibe this e3.

jacobs34

I'm having a really hard time believing that Microsoft would pull the plug the night before the announcement at 7 PM no less (yeah I know, another 7 reference). M-Soft would have known about Bungie's announcment months in advance, and they would have had plenty of time to cancel it before E3, let alone the night before!

That's just not how huge companies work, things like this just don't get killed this late in the ball game, and if it has anything to do with anything we've seen so far this E3 then that's pretty pathetic of the publisher.

The more I wrap my head around this the more I think this is just more marketing for a future announcement, or a someones playing games with our heads. I just have a hard time that this is just really a publisher killing an announcement the night before it was supposed to hit. Because that just doesn't happen unless something shady is going on.

nyong

Banned
Bryant said:
If I recall, Gears 2 wasn't announced at E3 07 for some of the same reasons. Keeping the hype on the big game (Halo 3 at the time) competition, etc. I mean if this Bungie game is some sort of Halo game, it will be the Microsoft game of Holiday 09. Why start hyping a game that wont come out for another year a half? (max), the Gears are turning.

but I still believe.

Not announcing a game and cancelling a game's (promised) unveiling at the last minute are completely different things.

There are just way too many little things that make this announcement dubious.

Why?

1. The announcement of the delay was posted at 7:00 pm PST.
2. The body of the announcement contains seven lines of text.
3. Someone at Bungie.net claims to have seen this before the announcement was put up.
4. The code was meant to stop at 00:12:00:00.
5. The source codes for the home page, before and after. 3+4=7. 4 x 3=12. The timer stopped with 12 hours remaining.
6. What Luke posted in the last update:
Future Tense

As a reader, I can only imagine just how frustrating it is to not have any new information just yet. Rest assured, dear vengeful, hypertense reader many things are in motion. Many things. These numerous things include the following:

Major changes to the Halo 3 Online experience
Sweet Announcements
Poignant Clarifications
Certain-point-of-view Truths
Things you will love
Things you will argue about
Things you will make angry videos about

What is bolded is what at present, seems most important.
7. What the Superintendent was posting on the Bnet forums. Most importantly, "THERE WILL BE DELAYS."

Hey, what do you know, 7 pieces of distinct information.

Why not?
1. Luke said it is not a joke.
2. Several Bungie employees have confirmed that this is no joke.

Grecco

I tend to agree with the XMote theory. The script at the Microsoft conference had stuff like shane kim talking about "small remote shaped controlers". And the whole Newton name tag.... the signs are there.

jacobs34 said:
Actually, when I think about it... why would Bungie's announcement being delayedeffect whether or not Luke Smith could be on 1 Up Yours tomorrow? Is he taking his ball and going home? I would still love to hear from the guy, he's a great on-air personality. It just seems a little off to me. I don't mind waiting for an announcement, but since Bungie is so good at messing with their fan's head, I'm still a bit spektical that they aren't up to something.
You really think he'd be allowed or allow himself into an environment like that after a debacle like this?

Digi V

Banned
Luke Smith already posted in here PEOPLE. The only thing going on is that a decision was made not to show it at E3.

Done.

FrankT

a Master Ninja said:
Call me crazy, but nyong is just saying what I've been thinking.

Man you are all about that motion controller.

Anyhow my theory, they had a dream team, with Kobe, Shaq and Jordan in his day let's say.

Everybody knew Kobe was going to get the play time (Gears), nobody really thought Shaq was going to get put in the game (FF XIII, although granted some speculated).

Before all this happened coach told Jordan he would be on the bench until at least the 4th quarter, maybe over time.

Game time, Kobe was showing a good show, but since last week Kobe couldn't do it without (Shaq, "Kobe you can't do without me") he actually got put in by the coach.

That ended up be the winning combination needed with a slam dunk finishing by Shaq. Jordan stays benched for another day and now you know the rest of the story.

Businez

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
In the unlikely scenario that this IS a trick, ala "EXPECT DELAYS" and whatnot, GAF had better not accept Bungie with open arms when they DO make their announcement. Stringing us along like this for the sake of a marketing ploy is bullshit and should not be given a free pass.

That said, again, it's highly unlikely this is a trick. Which also sucks.

Wizman23

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Man you are all about that motion controller.

Anyhow my theory, they had a dream team, with Kobe, Shaq and Jordan in his day let's say.

Everybody knew Kobe was going to get the play time (Gears), nobody really thought Shaq was going to get put in the game (FF XIII, although granted some speculated).

Before all this happened coach told Jordan he would be on the bench until at least the 4th quarter, maybe over time.

Game time, Kobe was showing a good show, but since last week Kobe couldn't do it without (Shaq, "Kobe you can't do without me") he actually got put in by the coach.

That ended up be the winning combination needed with a slam dunk finishing by Shaq. Jordan stays benched for another day and now you know the rest of the story.

Businez

Replace LeBron with Kobe and you got a point

jacobs34

Digi V said:
Luke Smith already posted in here PEOPLE. The only thing going on is that a decision was made not to show it at E3.

Done.

Perhaps you're right, but a lot of us just want to have some fun with this. I mean this announcement has been a blow to what can already be considered a pretty boring E3. Although knowing that RE5 and Fallout 3 are on there way make me a pretty happy camper.

Bryant said:
http://www.bungie.net/images/games/wallpapers/qwkdigkenk.jpg
11qn0yf.jpg

clashfan

Jtyettis said:

Businez

That's all it is. MS is trying to find a good time to spotlight this game and create more hype. They are trying to eventually bring more attention to this game. It's still happening...

MMaRsu

Banned
Dax01 said:
There are just way too many little things that make this announcement dubious.

Why?

1. The announcement of the delay was posted at 7:00 pm PST.
2. The body of the announcement contains seven lines of text.
3. Someone at Bungie.net claims to have seen this before the announcement was put up.
5. The source codes for the home page, before and after. 3+4=7. 4 x 3=12. The timer stopped with 12 hours remaining.
6. What Luke posted in the last update:

What is bolded is what at present, seems most important.
7. What the Superintendent was posting on the Bnet forums. Most importantly, "THERE WILL BE DELAYS."

Hey, what do you know, 7 pieces of distinct information.

Why not?
1. Luke said it is not a joke.
2. Several Bungie employees have confirmed that this is no joke.

Very very possible and indeed highly suspicious.

That was confirmed wrong. Stop the conspiracy theories, if this was meant to be cancelled then why put up a countdown in the first place? Some kind of "ARG?"

Pre

Judging by how Luke would have reacted to this if he was still at 1up, I'd say that Bungie is likely dead serious about this. I don't think Luke would agree with pushing a bullshit marketing ploy.

Louis Wu

Kuroyume said:
Luke said it's not a joke, but what if... Luke is not in on the joke? Hmmm? Hmmmmmmmm?

Think how different your life would be if you hadn't drunk all that kerosene when you were younger.

Don't sweat it bungie I <3 you always.

I know whatever your going to show off when the time is right, will be a quality kickass game.

Top Bottom