• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Blueblur1

Many thanks to Stephen Totilo bringing in some knowledge in this very crazy and ignorance-filled thread, (no offense guys but it was all speculation).

We're just gonna have to wait.

Some logic (where it no doubt doesn't apply, but nonetheless):-

If MS (Mattrick) cancelled the Bungie announcement at the zero hour to avoid stealing Gears thunder, then they are farther out of touch than I thought.

Because the FF13 announcement stole ALL the thunder in any event (a game which won't be out in 2008 for all the people suggesting it's just part of MS current year strategy).

And, of course, why let Bungie prepare and plan this, just to cancel it? Unless of course Bungie were flying solo and didn't have approval.

Logic suggests that there is some deeper rationale to this decision.

Whatever the reason, they have now undone all the positive press they may have got from the FFXIII announcement AND stolen Gears thunder in any event!

Bad news travels faster, and this kind of stink will difficult for MS to repair, which then says what could the announcement possibly have involved that would be worth the bad press?

Of course it's MS we are dealing with and logic is on shaky ground with them. :lol

gollumsluvslave said:
they have now undone all the positive press they may have got from the FFXIII announcement AND stolen Gears thunder in any event!

:lol Disappointment I can understand, but the outpour of entitlement and anger is just ridiculous.

joey_z

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:

If MS (Mattrick) cancelled the Bungie announcement at the zero hour to avoid stealing Gears thunder, then they are farther out of touch than I thought.

Because the FF13 announcement stole ALL the thunder in any event (a game which won't be out in 2008 for all the people suggesting it's just part of MS current year strategy).

And, of course, why let Bungie prepare and plan this, just to cancel it? Unless of course Bungie were flying solo and didn't have approval.

Whatever the reason, they have now undone all the positive press they may have got from the FFXIII announcement AND stolen Gears thunder in any event!

Bad news travels faster, and this kind of stink will difficult for MS to repair, which then says what could the announcement possibly have involved that would be worth the bad press?

Of course it's MS we are dealing with and logic is on shaky ground with them. :lol

Haha. I don't think they undid all of their positive press. If anything, the fuckers increased hype and anticipation for the news(whenever it is announced) seeing as how the coverage of a Bungie announcement cancellation is far more widespread than the timer that was set on Bungie.net.

Threi

notag
IIRC the countdown did say to expect delays.

Also, when was the last time a fucking countdown revealed anything interesting?

Surprise announcements are surprises for a reason. They come out of nowhere, not through some countdown everyone knows about. Thought you guys would have learned that by now.

Disappointment I can understand, but the outpour of entitlement and anger is just ridiculous.

I'm actually not the fussed personally - Halo 3 was a bit of a dissapoinment to me. I'm just looking at this objectively; any way you slice it, it makes MS look pretty bad (which may actually be Bungie's goal)

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
gollumsluvslave said:

Hmmm...
over-react much??

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
gollumsluvslave said:

From Tolito's interview with Mattrick, it doesn't sound like Microsoft was worried about Bungie stealing the show. It sounds like they felt they didn't need Bungie to make a big announcement right now since they already had more than a few heavy hitters at play. This seems like the most plausible scenario with the little information we have to go on.

Bungie had an ace up their sleeve, fingers deftly reaching in to bring the wondrous magic act to a fitting close. The audience leaned in to have a better look. We had to see it for ourselves. "Is that an ace," someone said, unable to contain their excitement, "it can't be!"

Closer we leaned...closer...

And then Don Mattrick farted in our mouths, swiped the card from Bungie, and scurried away from the table, a Little Lord Fauntleroy yet to experience the shame that will endear him to his fellow man.

Xun

If it is going to be shown, it'll either be at 7am PST or 7pm PST.

If after that no announcement it's pretty certain the announcement was cancelled.

Hmmm...
over-react much??

Like I said, I'm not bothered personally, it just seems totally idiotic and bizarre.

And it's on a ton of sites now as news; it doesn't reflect well on MS, unless you go with the 'any news is good news'.

Just reinforces the perception of big bad Microsoft, and will lead to further speculation as to whether there are bigger issues between MS and Bungie under the surface.

Threi said:
IIRC the countdown did say to expect delays.

Also, when was the last time a fucking countdown revealed anything interesting?

Surprise announcements are surprises for a reason. They come out of nowhere, not through some countdown everyone knows about. Thought you guys would have learned that by now.

Well, there was Japan Time. While not particularly interesting in itself, the pictures and jokes were funny.

I'm a little disappointed. I wanted something I'm interested in from E3, especially if it's from Bungie.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Everyone is saying Microsoft is focusing on this fall. And that's why bungie wasn't at the conference. FF13's not going to be this fall...

One thing is for sure, I hope MS learned their lessons with countdowns. Just surprise everyone with an announcement out of nowhere, that way no one is dissapointed by it.

Anywho I'm over not seeing it, we'll see it soon enough.

Kibbles

So what, now we have to wait until X08 for this announcement?

Damn Mattrick, I wish that robot-talking looser never came to Microsoft. Thanks Peter Moore for bringing this jackass over.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I feel sorry for Bungie. They were just totally emasculated by MS. Bungie just demonstrated how impotent they are in front of the entire world. It appears that the control that comes from being a separate company is more illusion than reality. In the end they walk the line that their publisher tells them to.

joey_z

Banned
Kibbles said:
So what, now we have to wait until X08 for this announcement?

Damn Mattrick, I wish that robot-talking looser never came to Microsoft. Thanks Peter Moore for bringing this jackass over.

I'd say about until Bungie is (actually) an independent studio.:lol

This seems like the most plausible scenario with the little information we have to go on.

Which is even more boneheaded and illogical IMO, and pretty much sums up MS this gen - trying to get away with simply 'doing enough'.

It seems to me that whenever they've had opportunities to lead and drive the platform forward they make an arse of it. Case in point here.

Of course, time will tell - maybe they made the right call. Maybe it ain't gonna amount to a hill o beans!

ShinAmano

Seems to me that MS decided that they would hold the 'Ace' they had becasue of the lackluster Sony and nintendo conferences...had either of those had anything massive to show the announcement would have gone on unhindered...remember 'Rolling Thunder'?

Zabka

So now instead of a proper announcement, it will just leak in bits and pieces over time. Mixed with expectations from lies and speculation, the formal announcement will be met with disappointment about "what could have been", instead of the big splash that was planned.

Sounds like your average MS PR to me.

for some reason I can't help but thinking that we'll still hear something at 7:07, despite there being no reason to think so. I guess we'll find out in 25 minutes.

jmdajr

Meh, no big deal to me.

I cant even afford to get all the games that are coming out. I'm fine with an announcement later.

However, I do understand it was not fair to treat bungie like that.

Flavius

Microsoft's E3 outing is the pregnant Jessica Alba of the games industry.

I'd still do her, but I'm not totally happy about it.

Troidal

gollumsluvslave said:

Heh, doubt that. The only group of people they pissed off are the Internet people. For the most part, FFXIII to 360 announced at E3 is still the biggest single news that came at E3 this year. I doubt Bungie would have been able to top that off no matter how popular Halo is. If anything, it is now generating even more hype despite all the bitterness here.

I myself am curious what made them pull back the announcement at the last minute though... If the publisher [Microsoft] has that much influence over it, I'm inclined to think it has to do with their motion sensor device and Bungie possible utilizing it. Otherwise, it's hard to believe they cancelled it just because Sony/Nintendo press conference was lackluster.

I should ask someone who might know what's up...

Kibbles

ShinAmano said:
Seems to me that MS decided that they would hold the 'Ace' they had becasue of the lackluster Sony and nintendo conferences...had either of those had anything massive to show the announcement would have gone on unhindered...remember 'Rolling Thunder'?

GameTrailers.com kids seems to disagree, people over there are saying Sony won.

See Mattrick, you didn't blow them out! The avatar crap was crap, nobody cared, bring out teh haloz!

Sai-kun

Banned
XD @ keeping the cache'd website running.

i was lolling so hard at IRC chat, too.

*warms up some leftover crow*

Actually, nah, I'm not gonna be a jackass back to people who were jackasses. I'm leaving the counter running anyways, just so I can lol more.

e3 am fail D:

Kibbles

Remember this - http://1019foxfm.net/ Well now that countdown has been extended, it was supposed to end today too (I think, or tomorrow... I completely forgot about that site). Is this extended time the new date of the announcement? =(

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Kibbles said:
Remember this - http://1019foxfm.net/ Well now that countdown has been extended, it was supposed to end today too (I think, or tomorrow... I completely forgot about that site). Is this extended time the new date of the announcement? =(

<head>
<title>Out of the Ashes.. SOON!</title>
<meta name="generator" content="Yahoo! SiteBuilder/2.5/1.6.0_01">
<meta name="author" content="James Lace Clark">
<meta name="description" content="This is an Internet Rock Station that airs several shows and more. We are Uncensored, and play Metal, Rock, Alternative, Independant Station based out of Burlington, North Carolina.">
<meta name="keywords" content="Rock, Lace, Midnight, Shows, Fox FM, 101.9, Independant Station, Burlington, NC,">

</head>

I'd doubt it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Chittagong said:
I came to see the reveal of Bungie's new big game

but the only thing I got to see

was the reveal of a hairy, gaping vagina

As much as I like Bungie and their games, if given the choice I'd much rather see a Glorious Natural Pelt than their new game.

Top Bottom