• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

EazyB

Banned
godhandiscen said:
So now that there is no announcement, are you guys still going to PAX? I would be ripping my balls if I had booked a plane trip for nothing. Can you guys still cancel?
Pax is more then a month off. I suppose tonight's disaster is proof that anything can happen but I'm willing to bet that whatever they were going to reveal tomorrow morning will be revealed either at PAX or before.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Now that this "new" Halo game is revealed to be in the works, I'm beginning to believe Eazy
scary stuff
about the SI being about a whole new game. Probably such a controversial game
waggle?
that Microsoft had to delay its reveal.

Either that, or they thought "Meh, we'll announce Bungie's working on moar Haloz and FFXIII and we win, their new stuff can be for laterz".

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Now that this "new" Halo game is revealed to be in the works, I'm beginning to believe Eazy
scary stuff
about the SI being about a whole new game. Probably such a controversial game
waggle?
that Microsoft had to delay its reveal.
Welcome, kick back, grab a seat. You'll find it to be very logical on my side of the fence :D

S1kkZ

E3 2008=

1203466554200.jpg

Kroll GB

Domino Theory said:
Either that, or they thought "Meh, we'll announce Bungie's working on moar Haloz and FFXIII and we win, their new stuff can be for laterz".

It just seems strange that they would do it this way- to allow the build up to an announcement and then pull it at the last minute when they could have made the decision months ago- for a company like Microsoft that plans everything down to the last detail this just smacks of ineptitude of the part of the mysterious "senior executive" or perhaps something more sinister...

Whichever way it looks like Bungies "independance" was fairly short lived...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Oh man I cant wait to hear how this mess went down.

I did think it was weird that MS didn't even mention the superintendant or the countdown in their conference, is it possible they weren't 100% in the loop?

Having said that, I like the idea that MS changed their conference on the back of Nintendos new 1:1 addon, would explain why we were stuck watching them play eyetoy games.

I find it strange that Bungie would cancel the announcement, and then point all blame at their publisher right on the front page of their website.

Something doesn't seem right here.

Kroll GB said:
It just seems strange that they would do it this way- to allow the build up to an announcement and then pull it at the last minute when they could have made the decision months ago- for a company like Microsoft that plans everything down to the last detail this just smacks of ineptitude of the part of the mysterious "senior executive" or perhaps something more sinister...

Whichever way it looks like Bungies "independance" was fairly short lived...

Yeah... perhaps there is a very good reason for this decisions but I can't imagine the basis of what that would be.

Personally this is what I am thinking. People were getting too hyped for this announcement, so Bungie and Microsoft decided to have a faux cancellation of the announcement to simmer it down...

My reasoning for this is that the email and the whole "ERR" etc on Bungie.com and everything seems way too thought up, to be authentic.

Would the fans really be pissed off if this turned out to be a joke? No.

Also the wording of the email makes no sense. Blaming the decision on the publisher (Microsoft). They definitely could have worded it differently.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Did the teaser go up straight after the conference?

If so maybe Eazys theory does make most sense.

If MS had planned to introduce waggle maybe they were thinking everyone would leave the hall laughing and then log on to bungie.net and jump to the conclusion that the waggle killer app was just around the corner.

Still, I find it hard to believe MS pulled waggle just because Nintendo pre-empted them, especially after what Nintendo actually showed.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
There's a cached version of Bnet up on my browser with the teaser page and countdown still going. I'll keep it running all night.

Pray for something good in the morning.

We know Bungie and Microsoft has been planning this announcement for awhile (with all the little superintendent hints etc)... so its not like Bungie just sprang this whole idea up in the last week or so.

And it seems like most of the marketing decisions would be up to the publisher (Microsoft) anyway... so I doubt this has anything to do with a dispute between Microsoft and Bungie.

I am sure Bungie is fine with waiting to announce whatever this is. They just want to develop the games. They know it will make money when it releases.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I BELIEVE!

Alarm set to 7:00AM PST (just in case).

nite GAF.

Tomorrow at 7:00 PM something will happen. If you cannot see this whole shit is a hoax, then you don't know Bungie.

I am starting to feel dirty, like a Nintendo fan

Eric WK

q[(►◄)]Ψ

-1-

The Super is angry, The Super is mad
His thumb's pointed down, his pitchfork's in hand
He's gnashing his teeth, there's blood in his eye
So great is his rage at what's gone so awry

-2-

His grand introduction cocked up and delayed!
The Super is really quite badly dismayed
By this terrible, horrible, graceless adieu
To the infinite win of his long-planned debut

-3-

Infinite sadness, infinite pain
Infinite anger addles his brain
The Super is lost in a maelstrom of fail
His luck has run out and his patience is frail

-4-

What to do in the face of this corporate dysfunction?
Turned from Hype Road onto Broken Dreams Junction
A damnable place spawning cynical plans
What's a Super to do but turn back to his fans?

-5-

But reading the forums, The Super's aghast
At the bitter eruption that's nigh-well surpassed
His burgeoning outrage for Microsoft's gall
So The Super would now like to comfort you all

-6-

Bungie, recall, is a group quite renowned
Its works will amaze, its wonders astound
So what if the megaton failed to deploy?
One day Soon™ it will come. And its orders? Destroy.

-7-

Destroy doubters, that is. And that's Bungie's best trick:
Making games so much fun that they make haters sick!
So be patient, my friends, 'till New Hotness is seen
In the meantime, stay safe, and of course, KEEP IT CLEAN

S[(••)]N

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=886977

godhandiscen

Eric WK said:
q[(►◄)]Ψ

-1-

The Super is angry, The Super is mad
His thumb's pointed down, his pitchfork's in hand
He's gnashing his teeth, there's blood in his eye
So great is his rage at what's gone so awry

-2-

His grand introduction cocked up and delayed!
The Super is really quite badly dismayed
By this terrible, horrible, graceless adieu
To the infinite win of his long-planned debut

-3-

Infinite sadness, infinite pain
Infinite anger addles his brain
The Super is lost in a maelstrom of fail
His luck has run out and his patience is frail

-4-

What to do in the face of this corporate dysfunction?
Turned from Hype Road onto Broken Dreams Junction
A damnable place spawning cynical plans
What's a Super to do but turn back to his fans?

-5-

But reading the forums, The Super's aghast
At the bitter eruption that's nigh-well surpassed
His burgeoning outrage for Microsoft's gall
So The Super would now like to comfort you all

-6-

Bungie, recall, is a group quite renowned
Its works will amaze, its wonders astound
So what if the megaton failed to deploy?
One day Soon™ it will come. And its orders? Destroy.

-7-

Destroy doubters, that is. And that's Bungie's best trick:
Making games so much fun that they make haters sick!
So be patient, my friends, 'till New Hotness is seen
In the meantime, stay safe, and of course, KEEP IT CLEAN

S[(••)]N

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=886977

Fan or Bungie employee? Probably the former, but who knows.

Fanmade?

godhandiscen

Buttonbasher said:
SI's in that pic. Under 02. On the Wall.

This has to mean something. But it doesn't.
What if it does?
It doesn't matter because we all get to know about it at the same time, but nothing at this point can tell me this isnt a hoax.

Kroll GB

godhandiscen said:
What if it does?
It doesn't matter because we all get to know about it at the same time, but nothing at this point can tell me this isnt a hoax.

Perhaps this: "I can confirm, after speaking to more than one Bungie spokesperson, that this is no stunt, no joke. This is real, and they're as unhappy about it as we are"

-Louis Wu on HBO

EazyB

Banned
Kroll GB said:
Perhaps this: "I can confirm, after speaking to more than one Bungie spokesperson, that this is no stunt, no joke. This is real, and they're as unhappy about it as we are"

-Louis Wu on HBO
Wow, this stunt seems to run deep. I expect nothing less from Bungie.

godhandiscen

EazyB said:
Wow, this stunt seems to run deep. I expect nothing less from Bungie.
I dont know if you are being sarcastic, but I assume he would be part of it.

EazyB

Banned
godhandiscen said:
I dont know if you are being sarcastic, but I assume he would be part of it.
I was being sarcastic. Don't get your hopes up, fellas. Waking up at 7:30 because there's no need to wake up earlier. Flight out.

EazyB said:
I was being sarcastic. Don't get your hopes up, fellas. Waking up at 7:30 because there's no need to wake up earlier. Flight out.

Oh don't worry I plan on staying up till about 4 AM and then waking up at 2 PM tomorrow. Thats always been my plan regardless of the announcement.

I don't cut my sleep short for videogames.

godhandiscen

EazyB said:
I just want to believe. If I am dissapointed so be it, but right now, my life isnt really too exciting (not boring, just lacking when it comes to surprises), so I really need "something".

If there was an OT I would make a huge thread about what kinda bothers me now.

And the problem now of course is that people will now expect something really special from Bungie.

I would suggest people keep their hopes in check, otherwise there will be major fallout.

Zertez

I think they are playing with us as well. MS knows exactly what Bungie is up to and wants to keep them happy. Doubtful MS would want to piss off the studio that has made them the most money over a PR announcement. Hype of the countdown was doing ok, but after the cancellation announcement a lot more people are interested especially journalist and news sites. They get even more free PR. Seems like more people are trying to figure out why the announcement was canceled and what the game is now, compared to when their was just a timer. Im sure the lie will tie into the game somehow and if not I doubt many will care after they see the new game.

Chinner

Banned
i was hoping they wud fix br spread :( . i play mlg proffesional and i want the br to be fixed so its easier to use, me and my brahs think that it requires too much skill and thats not what mlg is about

Kroll GB

Chinner said:
i was hoping they wud fix br spread :( . i play mlg proffesional and i want the br to be fixed so its easier to use, me and my brahs think that it requires too much skill and thats not what mlg is about

lolz:lol

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Raein said:
Greatest marketing scheme ever.

That's all I have to say.
Awh little junior doesn't trust uncle Luke, cute.

Chinner said:
i was hoping they wud fix br spread :( . i play mlg proffesional
I don't know how much you know about br spread (I'm an expert).

Raein

Banned
Nino said:
Awh little junior doesn't trust uncle Luke, cute.

I don't know how much you know about br spread (I'm an expert).

We'll find out soon enough. The original countdown will be up in about four hours, at which point something may happen.

One of us will be laughing at the other ;)

I cried man tears.... serious man tears.
Man tears of rage!

At the very least I would like Microsoft to give us a reason for this, show us their 'sensible' reason for crushing hopes.

I just hope this isn't a big blow at Bungie, as long as they keep working on the awesomeness, that's what's important.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Raein said:
We'll find out soon enough. The original countdown will be up in about four hours, at which point something may happen.

One of us will be laughing at the other ;)
Yea I bet that Luke Smith guy is just posting rumors anyway, who's he to know.

Top Bottom