• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Spasm

msbetrayal.gif

Dirtbag

Nikorasu said:
Speaking of priorities I could always pull out the "we're all posting on a gaming forum" card. :D

He's (proelite) not getting the reactions he's been hoping for since this thread started, judging by his repeated posts in here.

Kongo

Neo Member
Grecco said:
is there any proof of this?
Exactly what i was about to say. Even if Microsoft does make a Motion Controller, what games would they beable to back it up with that Bungie would make? A Halo game using a Motion Controller is very unlikely, a shooter using a motion controller is a bit weird imo. Any ideas?

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Fuck these guys, if you have something to say say it. If not don't go heh heh reveal is very soon heh heh look at our webcams heh heh maybe check our podcast heh heh oops did we forget in the podcast well surely at the
Micro
Soft
Press
Conference
That's
The
Ticket
heh heh but really, wednesday morning at 07:07:07 because we are a mystical flower in charge of our destiny FULL STOP oops sorry guys my mom said I have to go home now :(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, I'm sending something nasty to Microsoft over this one. Holy shit. I've never seen a publisher fuck over a developer and the fan community like this. Not even let Bungie make their own announcements?

I can't wait until Bungie is truly free from MS. And I suspect neither can Bungie.
We may never know whose fault it is, but you were not back then when Bungie put a big knife in your back and told you to kiss your Mac goodbye. I love Bungie, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have anything to do with it. It's not a big deal, but if the "new" publisher is behind this, then I fear for what is coming.

Eric WK

godhandiscen said:
We may never know whose fault it is, but you were not back then when Bungie put a big knife in your back and told you to kiss your Mac goodbye. I love Bungie, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have anything to do with it. It's not a big deal, but if the "new" publisher is behind this, then I fear for what is coming.

...Luke has confirmed that the publisher is Microsoft, godhand.

Rand al Thor 19 said:
For some reason I think the announcement will be made on the last day of E3 and it's not because they are joking around with us. It will be because Microsoft will need to stem all of the Bungie fanboy's rage that this cancellation is obviously causing. Every question that Microsoft will ge from here on out will be about why they did this to Bungie and their fans instead of focusing on what they are showing at E3. In short, this cancellation will overshadow everything they have done and are going to do at E3. This is why I think Microsoft will let Bungie unveil the game on the last day so at least they can get some positive press out of the situation.
lol would be fun if situation forces MS to allow Bungie announce this new whatever. May not show it but at least release first details.

Don't think it will happen.

Rand al Thor 19 said:
For some reason I think the announcement will be made on the last day of E3 and it's not because they are joking around with us. It will be because Microsoft will need to stem all of the Bungie fanboy's rage that this cancellation is obviously causing. Every question that Microsoft will ge from here on out will be about why they did this to Bungie and their fans instead of focusing on what they are showing at E3. In short, this cancellation will overshadow everything they have done and are going to do at E3. This is why I think Microsoft will let Bungie unveil the game on the last day so at least they can get some positive press out of the situation.

You are probably thinking too highly of the gaming press and foolishly hoping for some sort of salvagable outcome. You need to embrace it. This E3 is a fucking glorious catastrophe, I can't wait to see how terrible tomorrow will be. I expect some sort of Shane Kim "We announced Gears of War 2, isn't that enough for the Halo fans? Oh and Grand Theft Auto is coming out for the DS too, who says we aren't addressing the Bungie fans?"

Dark Knight

Neo Member
And now he is gone:

* Marty the Elder
* |
* Bungie Employee
* | more
* groups
* |

* gamertag: [none]
* user homepage: link external

* more posts by this user
* last post: 07.15.2008 11:04 PM PDT

Bend a knotted oak.

Good night everyone! Thanks for being there for us.

Keep the faith!

Marty

* 07.15.2008 11:04 PM PDT

nix_nz

Neo Member
The text that is different on each of the images, messed with in photoshop a bit. You can see this written vertically to the left of the image.

First image:

Reboot_homePage_03_zoom.jpg

death 4 neel?

Second image:

Reboot_homePage_04_zoom.jpg

Discuss.

Eric WK

nix_nz said:
The text that is different on each of the images, messed with in photoshop a bit. You can see this written vertically to the left of the image.

First image:

death 4 neel?

Second image:

Discuss.

It's odd, but I doubt it's worth reading into.

Kongo

Neo Member
Dark Knight said:
Good night everyone! Thanks for being there for us.

Keep the faith!

He's hiding something =O...or he's just really tired and going to sleep. With all this mess microsoft has caused, they owe us a lot. Free 9999ms points for Halo3 owners and Bungie Account owners FTW!

nix_nz

Neo Member
Why would you go to the effort to change a barely readable piece of text in a background image when pasting a screenshot of an email over the top?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I died a little here. I had never felt so betrayed. Why MS? It's not the fact that this was a cock tease, what hurts me is that everything was there to make this announcement, but after the lackluster showing of the competition, they felt they didn't need to anymore, and whatever the fans wanted is the least of their concerns.

soco

doesn't it make sense to maybe sit on the announcement to when there's less noise? wouldn't it potentially be given more press then?

there's still plenty of other potential release points this year including Leipzig, PAX, and next year CES and the new gameday. do we even know how far along the project is?

nix_nz said:

First image:

death 4 neel?

Second image:

Discuss.

Flip the second image up and it's very clearly:

J4 B4 N47H4 < 1 DB >

Eric WK

nix_nz said:
Why would you go to the effort to change a barely readable piece of text in a background image when pasting a screenshot of an email over the top?

Exactly, but I'd like to think Bungie isn't fucking with us even more by saying what we think could be a joke is, in fact, not a joke at all.

Kongo

Neo Member
soco said:
doesn't it make sense to maybe sit on the announcement to when there's less noise? wouldn't it potentially be given more press then?

there's still plenty of other potential release points this year including Leipzig, PAX, and next year CES and the new gameday. do we even know how far along the project is?

We know pretty much nothing except that they've been wanting to tell us about this announcement for 7 months now.

Eric WK

soco said:

Many of the rumors have been that whatever they've been working on has been in development a lot longer than we'd expect and a lot closer to release than we'd expect.

Ninja99 said:
We're talking about Bungie here. Of course we should read into it.

Under any other circumstances I would agree. But having so many people from Bungie confirm that this isn't a joke makes me think this is completely serious.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Once again, I think that people are a little to emotionally attached to this.
But I agree, it would have been nice to see what this was, because im curious too, but its not like they killed my cat or something by not showing...

Sooner or later we will find out....

Rand al Thor 19

I actually kinda want to hear Microsoft's explanation now. Will they side step it??? Or give a reseasonable answer??? Either way, I think we will find out tomorrow.

Monocle

Confirmation that this is not a PR stunt:

http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=23419
Operation Infinite Sadness
It's a sad, sad day for Bungie fans - swing by Bungie.net for full details. The short version: the announcement many have been waiting for eagerly - a new game, new Halo content, whatever it was going to be - is not going to happen tomorrow. Plans have been changed - no new date is announced. Update: we're getting a lot of mail from people who are speculating that this is a stunt (to build excitement for an announcement tomorrow), or that Bungie.net got hacked - I can confirm, after speaking to more than one Bungie spokesperson, that this is no stunt, no joke. This is real, and they're as unhappy about it as we are. (Louis Wu 02:03:06 UTC) (permalink)

Kongo

Neo Member
If you want some more 7 numbers thrown at you, the site that we believed to be associated with Bungie, the foxnews radio station site had its countdown reset recently to end on August 7, 2008 at 7:17PM PST. When the countdown ends the message will appear to say "It's Finally Here"! Here's the site and does anyone know the significance of August 7th? It's a Thursday btw.

http://1019foxfm.net/

It's been a while but I've finally gotten myself up to speed on this whole debacle, and it's a damn shame. Major props to Marty and all the fine folks at Bungie for being as open and forthright as they have.

With any luck, they'll soon be able to share what they've been working on with us-- should the overlords at MS allow it, that is.

What a shame.

Top Bottom