• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a PS4 game on smartphone activates console, downloads game and shuts it down.

DirtyLarry

Nice. I wonder if it will also do the same thing for the Vita?

Case in point. Just yesterday I saw the thread while at work about the PAX sale on PSN, which also reminded me I needed to pick up Spelunky. I went on the Sony website and purchased Tokyo Jungle and Spelunky while at work. All I could think about is how great it would be if both purchases were already downloaded to their respective consoles.

I'm getting a malware alert in Chrome from this .gif
Same here.

plainr_

Valtýr;78719293 said:
It's wake on LAN. Pretty standard stuff.

I don't think this is your standard wake on lan feature. The console itself will be in a very low powered mode, listening for updates while being able to download anything.

I don't think this is your standard wake on lan feature. The console itself will be in a very low powered mode, listening for updates while being able to download anything.

Basically how PS+ works now on the PS3 when it comes to updating and backing up save data. It just wakes up within a certain time and does what it needs to do.

plainr_

Basically how PS+ works now on the PS3 when it comes to updating and backing up save data. It just wakes up within a certain time and does what it needs to do.

But the PS3 fully boots itself to do this. I don't think the PS4 will. It will remain running in its low powered state to download updates. That's the purpose of the secondary chip right?

JohngPR

I don't get always online complaints. First of all it's optional, second of all your PC is always online do you also freak out about that?

Really great feature for low power state dling.

IMO the best thing though (and X1 does it too) is putting the console to sleep, and resuming the game almost instantly at a later time without waiting for the console to boot up and load your game everytime.

Sky Chief

Nice. I wonder if it will also do the same thing for the Vita?

Case in point. Just yesterday I saw the thread while at work about the PAX sale on PSN, which also reminded me I needed to pick up Spelunky. I went on the Sony website and purchased Tokyo Jungle and Spelunky while at work. All I could think about is how great it would be if both purchases were already downloaded to their respective consoles.

Same here.

The Vita already does this. Pretty sure that a recent PS3 system update said it was paving the way for this on PS3 as well.

pr0cs

Sounds awesome to me, I liked how on the 360 you could queue up downloads but this looks like the next step, pretty awesome. Makes digital purchases a lot more attractive. (but i'm still pissed off about no BC)

drproton

You can already do this from the SEN store HTML5 client.

It's how I usually download games to my Vita since the Vita's PSN store is buggy.

drproton

does it download instantly or just overnight (or whenever it wakes up to upload saves etc)?

I usually force it to start immediately. I'm not sure how it works if you don't.

I'll do some experiments later.

Edit: Yep, It downloaded Fighting Force within half an hour of adding it to the queue.

Really great feature for low power state dling.

IMO the best thing though (and X1 does it too) is putting the console to sleep, and resuming the game almost instantly at a later time without waiting for the console to boot up and load your game everytime.
This is my MOST anticipated next-gen feature, easily. As a new dad who often can only game in 15-20 minute spurts and has to drop it immediately if the baby wakes up from a nap or otherwise needs sudden attention, it's sometimes not even worth it for me to boot up my consoles even for a quick game.

This feature is basically like the old days when you used to pause an NES game for hours and hours while you played outside. Except it won't be egregiously bad for your hardware. Now it's built in!

GodofWine

Sounds like always online.....

obviously if you want to use features like this, its going to be online...but if you can unplug the internet and the system still works and games you bought still play, its not always online.

cool feature, good way to push digital sales too. Sony and MS are going to 'fake drm' us with new ways (and hopefully sales) to buy digitally.

obviously if you want to use features like this, its going to be online...but if you can unplug the internet and the system still works and games you bought still play, its not always online.

cool feature, good way to push digital sales too. Sony and MS are going to 'fake drm' us with new ways (and hopefully sales) to buy digitally.

I still think the best way to push digital sales is to do what Steam/GMG does. Which is offer 10% for the digital pre-order, and offer the same or similar incentives as retail stores/Steam/GMG (such as pre-order bonuses). But that's getting off topic.

Always online.

Sounds like always online.....

Yes, your PS3/4 has to be online in order to download a game. (duh).
Again, this is not required for the console to function, so try harder.

It will be revolutionary when they discover a way of letting me download something without having to be connected to the internet.

Why would they put being able to spend your money more conveniently behind a pay wall?

No it doesn't.

Wait anyone can buy, but the auto-update window (that's when the download happens on PS3) is a PS+ feature so the process is currently behind a PS+ sub, no?

I thought it was always on in a low power state, effectively like having a Raspberry Pi device inside the PS4 that would start the download immediately.

Perhaps the 8GB of flash ram is being used for this in the Xbone. Just a thought...

Wait anyone can buy, but the auto-update window (that's when the download happens on PS3) is a PS+ feature so the process is currently behind a PS+ sub, no?

Sony has already confirmed that automatic updates will not be PS+ only on PS4. This background downloading will work for everyone.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Can the PS3 be remotely turned on?

I was always under the impression it simply woke on a timer for PSN+ updates
Sort of. There's a Remote Start option under Remote Play that keeps it semi on so it can wake on lan. It has nothing to do with the PS+ updates or remote downloads via the webstore though, it only works in conjunction with Remote Play.

Both Confirmed to do this now. Rubbing NEXT GEN ALL OVER ME

Gww2BOI.png

From an app or from their website or what?

Whenever you buy a game from Xbox.com it adds the game to your download queue. On the 360 it downloads the game whenever you have it turned on, but now it seems they do it even while it's in low power mode which is awesome.

I assume they'll probably add the ability to buy games using Smartglass so you don't have to use the website at some point.

Probably from the xbox site and smartglass app

I'm positive Microsoft is smarter than this, but wouldn't it be funny if it were a Windows Phone/Surface-only app?

And by funny, I mean suicidal.

Whenever you buy a game from Xbox.com it adds the game to your download queue. On the 360 it downloads the game whenever you have it turned on, but now it seems they do it even while it's in low power mode which is awesome.

I assume they'll probably add the ability to buy games using Smartglass so you don't have to use the website at some point.

I knew about the Xbox.com method (Sony has a similar method for PS3/Vita). I guess I'm just wondering if they'll have a convenient little app.

They're a smart group of folks, so I'm sure they will.

Probably how it works now [via website] when you hit buy on something it just queues up, in this instance it will start downloading instead of queuing up.
Also smartglass in on IOS and Android too.

You're probably right.

As an aside, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be smart of Sony to come up with a name for their second screen experience. Microsoft has a somewhat catchy name in "SmartGlass," and since Sony has been talking since February about second screen experiences for PS4 using tablets and whatnot, maybe they should give it a name too.

Something easier to type out than "second screen app."

Top Bottom