• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a PS4 game on smartphone activates console, downloads game and shuts it down.

Quasar

Fantastic feature, I want to be able to disable this though.
Australia, internet quotas and all. Maybe I just wanna pull a steam, buy the game but not download it right now.

Love it - want it optional.

Obviously it will be optional, just as it is now. Not that I'm really concerned, if I start to get near my 400GB cap I'll just move back to a higher level plan.

This is just like the Steam app. Very, very convenient, especially during Steam Sales. You can buy the game and then have your computer download it, all from your smartphone. You can even queue downloads if you want.

It's great that the new consoles are doing this as well.

TheMink

Guys it only goes into a low power state like a vita when you tap the power. It can be completely shut down, but it should barely use any energy.

Tobor

Purchases should be through a browser though. I doubt Sony wants to give Apple 30%.

Bullshit. The 30% is only for content purchased in app for that app. This doesn't apply, as the content is for PS4.

Steam already has an app that works exactly like this will. You buy in the app, and it's installed on your computer when you get home.

It's a great feature but I'm surprised that nobody mentions the X360 doing this already (especially with comments like "Take notes, MS"). When I buy a game or download a demo on the xbox website, my 360 at home starts up, downloads the title and shuts down again. It's doing this for at least three years, but I don't know how old this feature really is.

Still good move, Sony. Didn't know this feature is absent from the PS3.

Didn't know this feature is absent from the PS3.

It kinda isn't.

The difference is that it's for PS+ and that it only starts up the console at a specified time each day, not directly after the purchase.

Technically you can remote-start the PS3 over the internet at any time, but the PS3 has to be in Remote-Play mode (for PSP/Vita) for that. So for downloading new games they use the daily automatic update schedule from PS+.

Rest is the same.

I'm at work and just "bought" AC3 for PS+ via the PSN web store. Then you click that it should download it the next time your PS3(s) is on.
I set the automatic update time to a few hours before I come home, so the PS3 will download (&install) the game soon. Maybe even finish it before I get home, but my bandwidth isn't really high.

It kinda isn't.

The difference is that it's for PS+ and that it only starts up the console at a specified time each day, not directly after the purchase.

Technically you can remote-start the PS3 over the internet at any time, but the PS3 has to be in Remote-Play mode (for PSP/Vita) for that. So for downloading new games they use the daily automatic update schedule from PS+.

Rest is the same.

I'm at work and just "bought" AC3 for PS+ via the PSN web store. Then you click that it should download it the next time your PS3(s) is on.
I set the automatic update time to a few hours before I come home, so the PS3 will download (&install) the game soon. Maybe even finish it before I get home, but my bandwidth isn't really high.

I see. Thanks for the clarification! :)

Awesome. Great feature for a lot of situations.

This could even work while playing the PS4 so you don't have to go to the store on PS4. Though since the system can multitask I doubt that would have been an issue anyway.

ptuck874

You guys realize this means it's "always online".

Kind of the same thing as the ps+ auto updates at night (or whenever you want to set the time too), except for instate updates for purchases. So technically the ps3 is "always online" as well right?

Skeleton

Banned
I am selling Tin hats with an Xbox or PS4 logo, if you'd like one please PM me.

Seriously though. This is a magical idea, that I fully support.

Right now, I can buy a game off PSN store (online store), and my PS3 will automatically start downloading the game and turn itself off after

nice... since I assumed that the system had to be on to actually start downloading your game

also does anyone else get a malware warning on page 2

pixlexic

Banned
that's cool but I thought the ps3 and 360 already did that when buying off the web stores? Maybe it's just a ps+ thing?

what I want is preloading for preorders!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wake on LAN for PS3 remoteplay should be different than what PS4 does.

I think PS3 literally used a version of wake on lan, and it could get messed up sometimes.

PS4 I expect will be regularly polling PSN while in standby, so it could be much more resilient to false positives regarding remoteplay, or waking up to download games.

hopefully.

JABEE

Why are people so shocked about it? PS3 already does that for automatic updates if you have PS+ (i.e. wakes the console to download patches), so it's only logical this functionality will get extended going forward.
You used to only be able to add it to a que and download content at a set time that you pre-determined. Being able to do it at any time is cool.

You can? How do you do that?

If you put something in your download queue from the web store on Vita it will pick it up after a few minutes. I don't think that is a PS+ feature but am not 100% sure.

For PS3 if you put something in your queue from the web store it won't start up the PS3 right away. It will pickup the downloads at the next start (psp/PSVita remote play are options) or when the system starts to do it PS+ stuff it will do it then.

Wait, is there going to be a PSN app for android or something? Or is he talking about using the web browser?

The Playstation App. The announced it in February, I believe. You can message people over PSN from any device with the app, buy content, and control your PS4 (to an extent) from the app.

bryehn

It's a great feature but I'm surprised that nobody mentions the X360 doing this already (especially with comments like "Take notes, MS"). When I buy a game or download a demo on the xbox website, my 360 at home starts up, downloads the title and shuts down again. It's doing this for at least three years, but I don't know how old this feature really is.

Still good move, Sony. Didn't know this feature is absent from the PS3.

I bought through the Xbox site for years until I switched to cash and it most assuredly does not start up my 360. It queues it for the next time you start the console. You can then shut down the console and it'll keep downloading but it's never actually booted the console to start a download.

Cornbread78

Smart. Some in this thread aren't quite there with the rabble about always online.

It really is gross "always online" "Always online" NO NO NO NO NO.....

It's just like Remote play as has been told multiple times in here, lol.

Anyhow, this is an awesome feature. Hopefully in the future, they can make it like most PC download systems, whereyou can pre-pay for a game and it will automatically D/L upon release. Now that would complete the awesomeness...

that's cool but I thought the ps3 and 360 already did that when buying off the web stores? Maybe it's just a ps+ thing?

I don't think it activates your PS3 and downloads it does it? I thought it only added it to your download list or whatever.
I don't know, though.

ACH1LL3US

What's the average size of a typical PS4 game?

Do we have to worry about our bandwidth?

This is it... if they are 20-40gb a pop that could take time to download. Nice I can set it up at work and get home and play the game without wiating.

How do you know if you are bandwidth capped? I will have Time Warner in the Charlotte area and on their site it just says it caps out at 50mb/sec ( I will have the ultimate internet option) but doesn't say how much gb you can download a month.

Top Bottom