• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a PS4 game on smartphone activates console, downloads game and shuts it down.

also Iwata promised this feature like a year ago. Where is it Nintendo?
LLShC.gif

The same as when Iwata promised they will be prepared for 3DS launch and Wii U launch....

What a great CEO!

Teletraan1

Banned
Where is the flow chart and the list of confusing restriction?

Oh wait this isn't a Microsoft feature reveal.

I love how we just keep getting told more and more things the PS4 can do. This is a pretty great feature for people who don't base their home time around Grace Chen time.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
sometimes i don't understand the people here..
how the hell you want such a feature WITHOUT BEING GOD DAMN ONLINE. yeah sure, a carrier pigeon will be sent from Sony Japan, to start your playstation. Bloody...

If you don't want this, then you switch the feature in the preferences off. Easy it is. Jesus, stupid "Always online" arguement.
Forget the carrier pigeons from SCEJ, I'd pay a heavy premium for Red Pandas though! They can stay as long as they want and we'll kick it like true homies. Give me some damn red pandas, Sony.

I am amused that people did not know this, it was featured in that PS4 UI video they released after E3 where Sarah purchased Killzone on her andriod phone and instructed it to download while she was in a coffee shop, also yes Playstation would have an App that can be used in tanderm with the Play Room to throw augmented paintings for those tiny robots or also used for some second screen game functions

scakko84

Purchases should be through a browser though. I doubt Sony wants to give Apple 30%.

They are not considered in-app purchases as they don't route through the iTunes Store, so there's no "giving apple 30%".

The only 30% Sony will possibly be giving Apple would be the price of the <Insert Sony Store App here> App if it's not going to be free, and i guess it'll be free.

Majine

Banned
If they are gonna make games playable as they are being downloaded, there kinda is not need for this feature. In theory.

This is the feature I have been waiting for since literally EVER. Sitting at work, purchasing a game from the online store or the app, coming home, the game is downloading and ready to play.

Awesome!

Mung

This isn't 'always online' ffs. It sounds like the vita internet remote play, and is probably optional.

But this feature is not required for the console to function. I don't understand the level of cognitive dissonance it takes to equate mandatory online checkins with an optional method to download games.

If a PS4 goes offline, you'll still be able to play your games and use offline features. Calling a console "always online" because it has online-centric features is disingenuous.

Guys help me out here. Is anyone else very annoyed by this intellectually dishonest bullshit or do I have some kind of problem? These individuals know that's not why we hated always online or what we actually meant by that (the required part of course and DRM crap) and they still choose to be purposely obtuse just to troll.

I withdraw my statement due to the mandatory nature of said feature
I was just thinking of the possibilities while forgetting one was being forced

This is a great convenience to have I look forward to using it

demolitio

Impulse buys for whenever you're depressed enough to spend a shitload of money on games you might not even play no matter where you are!

This is actually quite awesome. Could be handy for people to download the latest FREE DLC for Killzone: Shadow Fall while they're at work so it's ready for them to play as soon as they get home. Now that's a good feature.

Everything about this generation just seems so damn EASY.

tim.mbp

They are not considered in-app purchases as they don't route through the iTunes Store, so there's no "giving apple 30%".

The only 30% Sony will possibly be giving Apple would be the price of the <Insert Sony Store App here> App if it's not going to be free, and i guess it'll be free.

As far as I know, Apple doesn't allow Apps linking to non App Store purchasing.

Aspiring

This playstation app people keep saying, isn't there already one??? I am sure I have an app on my iPhone already. Or is it going to be something else?

glaurung

I like this kind of functionality. It means everything I want is usually waiting for me at home without any loading screens or progress bars.

The only problem now is that the PlayStation apps for iPhone cannot be downloaded where I live - Sony does not bother to add them to my local iOS AppStore.

Yeah this is a really cool feature. Nice to know everything will be ready to go when I get home from work. The wait for launch is taking too long!

DBT85

This playstation app people keep saying, isn't there already one??? I am sure I have an app on my iPhone already. Or is it going to be something else?

Something else/ in addition to.

I also think you'll be able to send PMs from your phone or tablet rather than having to do it on the controller and other stuff like that.

Will it also "install" the game? I hate how vita games wait until you wake up the system to install. It's like it's going out of its way to be sure you are inconvenienced.

BenouKat

Banned
If they are gonna make games playable as they are being downloaded, there kinda is not need for this feature. In theory.

Well, you cant play a game if you download only the first 5Kb.

I remember Cerny said something like "you need to download a small part of the game before play during download".

So this functionality is useful for people who buy a game during the day and want to play few hours later. (or very very lazy people...)

vall03

This sounded great, but then it reminded me that this is useless to someone who doesn't have a permanent set-up for their home consoles. Neat feature though.

Yeah you can do that on PS3 as well, minus the remote turning on part. It'll switch on at a daily routine time set by you and start the download instead.

Quasar

Though wouldn't this just be the same as the book apps like kindle that had to remove the shopping parts to exist on the iTunes store without giving Apple the 30%?

EDIT: Then again the Steam iOS app seems to have buying of games. Though maybe Gabe is paying Apple 30%.

KalBalboa

Banned
I can almost do it now on PS3, where via the SEN store on my phone I can purchase an item and then queue it up on my downloads list for my PS3.

However it will only download the item once my PS3 turns on, either at night during it's PS+ update time or I believe right away if my PS3 is turned on at the time.

It's a good feature to have the ability to download right away even if the console is off.

Yeah, I was going to say this predates the Wii U update, but didn't the 360 do something similar too?

This PS4 version though, hot damn.

scakko84

As far as I know, Apple doesn't allow Apps linking to non App Store purchasing.

Ninja Edit 2:

Amazon and eBay are also giving 30% to Apple? Don't know, but doubt it.

The history is about Apple being a dick to Amazon and requiring 30% of the revenue from the book bought on Kindle App because it was an iBook competitor and because the goods you bought were used in-app, hence the "in-app purchases", hence the 30% share.

Amazon/Steam/eBay Apps are used to purchase goods that aren't used inside the App itself, so there is no way Apple could charge 30% for the purchases.

xk0sm0sx

How I picture it to be like:
Me while outside : *Buys PS4 game on smartphone*

In a dark room with your PS4... (Power switch is off)

Sony triggers a hidden switch connected to the PS4.
PS4 turns on. The PS4's blue lights glow, it's fans the only noise in the room...

Sony : "Your owner just bought a game. You have been awoken to download it."
Your PS4 : "Order acknowledged. Downloading PS4 game now..."
*Download complete...*
PS4 shuts down itself. The room goes back to it's lonely state.

wizzbang

Banned
Fantastic feature, I want to be able to disable this though.
Australia, internet quotas and all. Maybe I just wanna pull a steam, buy the game but not download it right now.

Love it - want it optional.

KeRaSh

This is a great feature. Sometimes I read about a cool new game while at work but my internet connection is slow so if I wait until I'm home to buy the game I might not be able to play it the same day depending on the size. With this I could set everything up from work and comfortably play as soon as I come home.

Top Bottom