• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a PS4 game on smartphone activates console, downloads game and shuts it down.

Finalizer

Always online.

Sounds like always online.....

You guys realize this means it's "always online".

Ceo1tKT.gif

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What kind of sorcery is this from Sony?

Fuuuuuuuck.

Will this be like a PS4 app for my phone?
Yeah, they're launching a Smartglass like app for iOS/Android. The webstore should also be able to handle remote downloads.

A new application from SCE called “PlayStation®App” will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android TM based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices

Finalizer

Obviously an optional thing. But yea, probably would need to be always online in some small capacity.

That's the point though - it's a purely optional thing. It has nothing to do with the outcry of "always online" that had people so riled up against the competition, and what was obviously what those posters were getting at.

sun-drop

good to have it underlined as par for the course

some people like dave perry at e3 seemed to try use features like this as justification for the xbone DRM check-ins .. which is just straight up deception.

IN&OUT

Banned
Neat.

Possible situation:

I'm at work: I open Gaf to get my gaming news fix and found out that TLoU2 just released !

Open PSN at my phone, buy the game.

Go back home and start playing immediately

SUPER NEAT !!

jimi_dini

This is like Wii's WiiConnect24 but more useful. PCs have also had this sort of tech for a while now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Wake-On-LAN is something completely different. They can't use something like that, because otherwise a device on your LAN would have to wake up the PS4.

PS4 is effectively just in low power mode and at least a TCP/IP stack has to be running. Sort of like Wii24. Wii24 had the problem of overheating though.

Can imagine sitting at work and buying a game.
PS4 powers up. A second later a phone call from the girlfriend crying "I think your PS4 is haunted, its turning itself on"

Hanmik

ehh you can do this with vita already. I'm always working when the EU store updates, so I just visit the pc store at work, buy a game for my vita, put it in my download que, come home pick up my vita and play the game.. works fine.

only two downsides to this, if the memorycard is full it obviously can't download the game. and not all the stuff on the vita store can be found on the pc store.

BigDug13

people are making excuses when always online is exactly how a feature like this becomes possible

But this feature is not required for the console to function. I don't understand the level of cognitive dissonance it takes to equate mandatory online checkins with an optional method to download games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Now announce that your partnership with virginmedia in the UK means that PSN will actually use a bit more of my 120mb Internet and not be dog slow.

Nibel

The "always online" people were concerned about in the first half of the year was the restriction to be only able to play your games when your console is connected to the internet

This "always online" feature is something entirely else

BigDug13

The "always online" people were concerned about in the first half of the year was the restriction to be only able to play your games when your console is connected to the internet

This "always online" feature is something entirely else

Yep, there's a HUGE difference between "hey connect your console to the Internet to be able to have awesome features like game buying and downloading from your smartphone, or not, your console will still function either way" and "Xbox has detected that your Internet connection has been down for 24 hours, would you like to watch some live TV until your Internet returns since you will no longer be allowed to play games?"

But this feature is not required for the console to function. I don't understand the level of cognitive dissonance it takes to equate mandatory online checkins with an optional method to download games.
If only the Xbox One could gather a charge from that spinning turbine of dissonance it wouldn't need that huge power brick.

Always-online folks are turning this into a cringe thread.

Flatline

Banned
Sounds like always online.....
Always online.
people are making excuses when always online is exactly how a feature like this becomes possible

Guys help me out here. Is anyone else very annoyed by this intellectually dishonest bullshit or do I have some kind of problem? These individuals know that's not why we hated always online or what we actually meant by that (the required part of course and DRM crap) and they still choose to be purposely obtuse just to troll.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This better work with my Win8 phone! *shakes fist*

Guys help me out here. Is anyone else very annoyed by this intellectually dishonest bullshit or do I have some kind of problem? These individuals know that's not why we hated always online or what we actually meant by that (the required part of course and DRM crap) and they still choose to be purposely obtuse just to troll.
You know the answer to this. On the plus side, it makes my job easier

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If a PS4 goes offline, you'll still be able to play your games and use offline features. Calling a console "always online" because it has online-centric features is disingenuous.
Yeah, I thought the term for this was Always On, not Always Online. You can use the console on or offline, but it never truly powers itself off as long as it's connected to a power outlet. When you shut it off it just goes into a low power state that is able to handle downloads if it's connected to the internet.

Always Online means you're required to always be connected to the internet for the system to function. In other words you can be Always On without being Always Online and vice versa.

I don't get the always online comments?

You buy the game on your cell, it adds it to your download history. System turns on much like automatic updates with PS+, downloads whats new to your list, shuts off afterwards.

If that's always online then isn't the PS3 as well?

Anyways, this is pretty awesome and the kind of small "next gen" features I want to see.

hEist

sometimes i don't understand the people here..
how the hell you want such a feature WITHOUT BEING GOD DAMN ONLINE. yeah sure, a carrier pigeon will be sent from Sony Japan, to start your playstation. Bloody...

If you don't want this, then you switch the feature in the preferences off. Easy it is. Jesus, stupid "Always online" arguement.

Good God. Can we have a sticky thread called "Always Online for Dummies" that explains the difference between "online" and "stops working if not constantly told to keep working"?

Presumably, but if you're physically cutting the power on your PS4 when you're not using it you will be losing out on a ton of features and conveniences. No fast wake from sleep, no instant resume of your last game, no automatic updates of patches and firmware, no immediate downloads of games bought remotely, etc, etc.

Ahh, okay then. It seems I won't be plugging it into my TV surge protector then.

danthefan

Awesome feature but is it somewhat redundant if you can start playing a game immediately while you're downloading?

And are people seriously comparing this to the XBone original policies?

Now announce that your partnership with virginmedia in the UK means that PSN will actually use a bit more of my 120mb Internet and not be dog slow.

I am curious to know what this will mean for my package with Virgin. I get really good speeds with my PSN downloads (full-speed, in fact), but I know lots of people say they don't. I'd love better upload which will certainly help with online. Currently on 30mb line, will upgrade to 60mb as I will be going all digital.

Anyway, back on thread... This is a great feature and I look forward to getting home from work and being able to get straight into a newly downloaded game. It even looks like you can launch the game ready for you, which again is cool.

Top Bottom