• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C. Charla on promoting ID@XB titles - Why the infamous parity clause isn't a big deal

Ge0force

Banned
Skullgirls has been out on Steam for nearly two years now, and will probably be putting the extra content in the PS4 release out as DLC for that.

We didn't release on there initially because the dev team (Reverge Labs) didn't have the manpower to launch on three platforms at once, and there was some concern that there wasn't an audience for fighters at the time. The plan was to start on the Steam version as soon as the console releases were out, but Autumn ran out of money because of their legal battle with Konami over Def Jam Rap Star, and we were all laid off instead.

When I reformed the team as Lab Zero, Autumn had found a publishing partner to fund the development of the Steam port, Marvelous. So we contracted that out while we internally finished the first character funded by our Indiegogo campaign.

Thankx for your response. Sounds like you had a hard time when Autumn ran out of money. I'm glad you were able to reform the team!

Were the sales on Steam lower/as good/higher than on XBLA? (let's ignore ps3 here because the game was free with ps+)

Ravidrath

Thankx for your response. Sounds like you had a hard time when Autumn ran out of money. I'm glad you were able to reform the team!

Were the sales on Steam lower/as good/higher than on XBLA? (let's ignore ps3 here because the game was free with ps+)

Steam is currently sitting around five times the XBLA sales.

PSN sales were double XBLA sales before the PS+ giveaway, and are roughly on par with Steam if you count the PS+ downloads.

Just about everything did better on XBLA last gen, but we seem to be a rare exception.

Garlador

The plan was to start on the Steam version as soon as the console releases were out, but Autumn ran out of money because of their legal battle with Konami over Def Jam Rap Star, and we were all laid off instead.

Konami? AGAIN?!

I keep laughing, but it seriously does blow my mind how 80's cartoon villainous they've become. It has to be deliberate.

On the topic at hand, I still think Xbone needs better incentives (rather than de-incentives) to encourage more indie games to head to the platform. All their talk of the parity clause not really mattering only makes me wonder that, if it doesn't matter, why still have it at all?

Shin-Ra

Also there is a dedicated ID@Xbox blog, no one seems to know or talk about it, including MS.

Www.Idatxbox.com

uidyat.gif

Steam is currently sitting around five times the XBLA sales.

PSN sales were double XBLA sales before the PS+ giveaway, and are roughly on par with Steam if you count the PS+ downloads.

Just about everything did better on XBLA last gen, but we seem to be a rare exception.

An interesting figure since you brought up sales

Volgarr was downloaded over 1.2million times while being a games with gold title, from November 1-December 31 on Xbox One

Curious how other PS+ games or Games with Gold games compare, if you are able to share your figure Rav? (Totally understand if you can't, no pressure :p)

Ravidrath

Really? That suprises me. I've read several articles about indie-games selling multiple times more on Steam than on XBLA (Monaco, Super Meat Boy, Fez, Xotic etc..)

I also remember this article:

http://www.destructoid.com/super-meat-boy-dev-xbla-is-no-longer-a-way-to-success-246963.phtml

Sorry, I meant just for PSN / XBLA sales.

An interesting figure since you brought up sales

Volgarr was downloaded over 1.2million times while being a games with gold title, from November 1-December 31 on Xbox One

Curious how other PS+ games or Games with Gold games compare, if you are able to share your figure Rav? (Totally understand if you can't, no pressure :p)

Eh, probably can't really get into the numbers. Definitely nowhere near that number, though.

I'd love to get on Games for Gold, but suspect our update method would make MS not want to.

Ge0force

Banned
I guess downloads would be higher on ps4 now, since you need ps+ for online gaming. I read that half of ps4 owners have ps+. That must have been much less on ps3...

Sorry, I meant just for PSN / XBLA sales.

Eh, probably can't really get into the numbers. Definitely nowhere near that number, though.

I'd love to get on Games for Gold, but suspect our update method would make MS not want to.

I'm puzzled as to what update method would make MS squeamish.

Ravidrath

I'm puzzled as to what update method would make MS squeamish.

SG does not fit neatly into the MS update scheme, since we need both a compatibility pack and a title update.

If we did this after Robo-Fortune is out, maybe it'd be OK because we could bundle the game and compatibility pack to make it as easy as possible.

But every time we release a new character we get a bunch of confused people that forget they need to download up the updated compatibility pack. And the title update reverts their game back to vanilla Konami-published SG without online play if the compatibility pack isn't there.

SG does not fit nearly into the MS update scheme, since we need both a compatibility pack and a title update.

If we did this after Robo-Fortune is out, maybe it'd be OK because we could bundle the game and compatibility pack to make it as easy as possible.

But every time we release a new character we get a bunch of confused people that forget they need to download up the updated compatibility pack. And the title update reverts their game back to vanilla Konami-published SG.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

I honestly forgot about compatibility updates for fighting games. I can see how the process could get wonky for Microsoft. But even then, there should be some version check that goes on for matchmaking purposes right?

Ravidrath

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

I honestly forgot about compatibility updates for fighting games. I can see how the process could get wonky for Microsoft. But even then, there should be some version check that goes on for matchmaking purposes right?

Yeah, you can't play online if you don't have the compatibility pack.

But we're a weird sitch where we had to ship two executables in the patch because of MS's rules, and our particular situation.

When SG launched, it had huge load time problems that never showed up in the testing environment. It was related to the variety of different models of 360s and HDDs, etc. - Skullgirls was making thousands of file open calls which really bogged down certain hardware configurations. Load times for a single match could vary from a few seconds to 6 minutes. And this never showed up because the testing environment is pretty static, uses all the same hardware, etc.

So we had to completely redo the file system for the game to reduce the number of file open calls on 360, and that meant changing the code that reads the data. And that's why the game reverts to the old version if the compatibility update isn't there - it's falling back on the original executable, which isn't compatible with the new data format.

There's also this blog post (and informal survey) from the World of Goo developer:
http://2dboy.com/2011/10/03/xbla/

That's a really interesting analysis he's done there. Most interesting of all are the ten points he suggests to improve XBLA and make it more appealing for indie games:

To survive:
1. Create a fair contract that doesn’t require negotiation
- Obviously not happened, hence the whole 'talk to us' narrative
2. Solve the content discovery problem.
- I don't have an Xbone so can't talk about that. Although I have read that finding indie games has not got easier since MS disbanded the XBLA label.
3. Stop requiring independent developers to publish through MGS.
- This has happened.
4. Drop the TCRs, make updating easy.
- I don't know what TCRs are, although I don't think there are any costs for patches/updates any more.
5. Get rid of the exclusivity requirement for independent developers.
- Again, not happened as this is the 'first class' thingy they push with ID@Xbox.

To thrive:
1. Drop the greenlight process and open up development to everyone.
- I guess this has happened?
2. Make every console a dev kit.
- Not happened and I don't think they're doing this any more, right?
3. Automate everything.
- No idea but I doubt it.
4. Drop the ESRB in favor of a self administered rating system.
- No idea about ESRB but on PSN UK all games have a PEGI rating, so I imagine it's the same deal for XBL
5. Make avatar related requirements optional.
- I guess this has happened? I mean, they still want exclusive content for games on their platform, but it doesn't appear to be mandatory.

Basically the summary of his findings was that XBLA was the hardest platform to develop for and MS sat on its laurels for too long when it was at the top of the pile and Steam/iOS stole its lunch.

pastrami

"Coming to Xbox One Winter 2014" LOL

Somebody overshot their release deadline by a smidge. Unless I'm wrong and it has already released which would be pretty damn sad that I've never heard of it before.

No need for cheap shots like that.

Anyways, I'd be curious to know who else that developer has worked with. I'm sure Olive Garden is amazing if the only other place you eat at is McDonalds. Not that it's impossible that Microsoft could be treating an indie developer well. But I'd be more inclined to take the word of someone who has worked with the other platform holders over one who has had just one experience to call upon.

The people I've talked to that launched games have said that it is a good experience, but heck, what do they know about the game they launched

I will add from what I hear they are a bit understaffed though, and with over 1000 devs making games, I'm sure that doesn't help

Except the people I've talked to that launched games have agreed that it is a good experience, but heck, what do they know about the game they launched
You do realise what an outlier is? Small hint, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether someone is telling the truth.

pswii60

"Coming to Xbox One Winter 2014" LOL

Somebody overshot their release deadline by a smidge. Unless I'm wrong and it has already released which would be pretty damn sad that I've never heard of it before.

Games get delayed all the time, I really don't see your point.

pastrami

The people I've talked to that launched games have said that it is a good experience, but heck, what do they know about the game they launched

That doesn't really change the fact that they could very well be outliers. I would also be more curious about people trying to get into ID@XBox over people who have already shipped a project. The whole controversy seems to stem from the talks needed to become a developer, with NDAs and a possible parity agreement.

RexNovis

Banned
Winter 2014 includes December.

It's 2015 though...

Games get delayed all the time, I really don't see your point.

True but overshooting by an entire year seems a bit much.

Wasn't trying to be smarmy just saw their launch tag at the end and it caught me entirely off guard as I've never even heard of the game before. So either they overshot their release by an entire year or they released to absolutely no fanfare or name recognition in the market. Neither of those is a good thing.

Meanwhile at ID@Xbox

3MPJTHQ.jpg

News at 10: ID@Xbox staff have meetings... and like to tease things a bit... with E3 round the corner?

An (unfunny) attempt to pile on after what George said?

Community guys have got to do something with their day. I have no idea what ID@Xbox is like to deal with, I can see a few people in recent times (Lifeless Planet developer, Team17 studio head, Pneuma guys) say good things, but people are less likely to be so open with complaints.

That doesn't really change the fact that they could very well be outliers. I would also be more curious about people trying to get into ID@XBox over people who have already shipped a project. The whole controversy seems to stem from the talks needed to become a developer, with NDAs and a possible parity agreement.
If they were the outliers then wouldn't I be hearing from more people that the experience has been poor?

Not like anything is keeping the dev from lying to me or anything mind you

It's 2015 though...

True but overshooting by an entire year seems a bit much.

Wasn't trying to be smarmy just saw their launch tag at the end and it caught me entirely off guard as I've never even heard of the game before. So either they overshot their release by an entire year or they released to absolutely no fanfare or name recognition in the market. Neither of those is a good thing.

What on earth is going on here?

1) If the game is delayed, it's delayed. That happens. Winter 2014 release postponed, it's now May 2015. Could be out next month, could be 2 years. This happens.

2) This kind of speculation is nonsense. The game has not been released.

Google? http://wulverblade.com/blog/

RexNovis

Banned
Welcome to the future. In 2015, holograms are real
with limited FoV

OT but ugh can we please stop calling them holograms. They are not holograms. Holograms have an actual definition that does not apply to their AR rendering solution. Hologram is not a marketing buzz word it's a real term that already exists. Their hijacking of the term to sell their new nebulous tech gizmo really pisses me off. But this is neither time or the place

News at 10: ID@Xbox staff have meetings... and like to tease things a bit... with E3 round the corner?

An (unfunny) attempt to pile on after what George said?

Community guys have got to do something with their day. I have no idea what ID@Xbox is like to deal with, I can see a few people in recent times (Lifeless Planet developer, Team17 studio head, Pneuma guys) say good things, but people are less likely to be so open with complaints.

I thought this whole thread, and many others, rested upon devs making vocal complaints?

Top Bottom