• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C64 channel coming to Virtual Console - Europe exclusive at the moment :P

pswii60

fresquito said:
The problem arises when you factor the option "I want, but not at rape price".
Pretty much. There are few C64 games that still live up to what they once were. But games like Monty on The Run, Paradroid, Uridium etc - I would buy these if they were 100 or 200 points, just for the nostalgia, but 500 points is a joke.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
fresquito said:
Could you easily otherwise obtain these games for that price?
Ah, I see above that you can play them for free, on a browser. That sounds swell! So do that and shove off?

Haunted

test_account said:
I'm not complaining, its up to each person if he or she wants to buy a VC games, but £3.50 for a C64 game is indeed a pretty steep price in my opinion. Its good that they introduce C64 through the VC console though :)
Well, you're also paying for the opportunity to play the game on your Wii, in the living room, without having to keep the C64 around. That has to be worth something.

I'm not condoning the price (only bought one VC game so far, because I generally think the games are overpriced), but there are various factors to be considered here.

RevenantKioku said:
Ah, I see above that you can play them for free, on a browser. That sounds swell! So do that and shove off?
Eh, there are only a handful of Codemasters games on that site.

MidiSurf

Banned
Originally Posted by fresquito:

RevenantKioku said:

Also the loading times on C64 games are ridiculous, I have the orginal C64 but i really don't play it much any more cos' of those fucking loading times. So i fully suport C64 channel, and i will buy some classic games from there.

And those games on tapes are just pain in the ass.

fresquito

RevenantKioku said:
You know, we're not discussing accesibility. For the same very reason they could charge 20 euros and you would still have a point there.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
People in America are paying $5 for Ice Climber and Kid Icarus, $8 for Columns and Virtua Fighter II Genesis, and $9 for Art of Fighting.

I think they'll pay $5 for C64, whether it's a reasonable price or not.

Apenheul

Heh, I wonder if these people bitching at the pricepoint ever really owned a C64 anyway. There were GREAT games on this platform and the SID music makes it all with it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Haunted One said:
Well, you're also paying for the opportunity to play the game on your Wii, in the living room, without having to keep the C64 around. That has to be worth something.

I'm not condoning the price (only bought one VC game so far, because I generally think the games are overpriced), but there are various factors to be considered here.

Thats a good point and i do think its worth something to be able to play them on your Wii, but still i think its abit expencive when you compare it to what the original games cost (of course there are exceptions, some original games might be more expencive due to higher demand and/or rarity).

Commodore AMIGA please!!!!

there are so many games that live up to today´s standard

Heh, I wonder if these people bitching at the pricepoint ever really owned a C64 anyway. There were GREAT games on this platform and the SID music makes it all with it.

Price sensitivity is just a matter of personal opinion.

I find NES price expensive because i never owned onw. I find C64 games cheap because iy was my first computer and i spent my childhood playing with it.

I just hope they use the loading screen as the wii channel icon.

MidiSurf said:
BTW does anyone else remember this classic ?

skooldaze2.gif
There's a graphical remake for the PC made by some fans Klass of 98 or something, it's pretty good.

jarrod

Banned
Deacan said:
My god people are defending the price point, Nintendo can do no wrong.
Nintendo's not setting this pricepoint... I guess for some it's more "Nintendo can do no right". :lol

Mar

Ohhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

fuuuuck.gif

This is the best Wii news I've heard since I bought the system.

MidiSurf

Banned
Prime crotch said:
There's a graphical remake for the PC made by some fans Klass of 98 or something, it's pretty good.

Klass of 99. But it's not nearly good as the orginal and i would not call it a remake, cos' it's missing lots of stuff that the orginal one had.

Awesome but at that price point I won't be buying a lot of titles. I'd spring for ZackMcKracken, Maniac Mansion, Creatures 2, Last Ninja 2 probably.

C64 games for 500 points? :lol

There are some awesome classics out there but that is pretty expensive.

And yes I use to own one, the original brown keyboard and all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MrNyarlathotep said:
Not really, thats like classifying PSN or XBLA titles with contemporary releases, just because they were released in the same time frame.
Only it's not. There wasn't really any added polish or complexity among the top tier NES titles compared to some of the better C64 games. Technically, in terms of sound C64 games were leagues ahead of any NES game, and in terms of graphics they were arguably better too.

Most C64 titles were developed by one guy in his bedroom and frankly, in terms of overall polish it shows. If they were a hit, great, if they weren't it was just one guys hobbytime wasted
Many games were made like that yes, but tons and tons of them were made by teams of professionals as well.

Nakasan

All the Dizzy games (not spin-offs - keep it hardcore) are worth 500 points.

it is still taking the piss though. shove them on for 100 points and people will take chances on them. I'm always left with random 100-200 points left after my purchases on the VC. If there were a few games that seemed like harmless fun for that price, I'd be more inclined.

I'm actually quite dissapointed with the price. Could of been awesome.

Hope the Dizzy and Last ninja games make it!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Argh! I need this on my US Wii!

I'd buy games just for the SID soundtracks, like I did with my original C64 :)

Oh, and for people bitching about the price, C64 Paradroid is worth unlimited numbers of points.

Now bring on the Amiga, that would be a Megaton ...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not all C64 games were £1.99, just some of them, like the mastertronic ones. I'm sure I reember some being £9.95

and £1.99 in those olden times was probably around the same as £3.50 today. And you don't have to try and get them to load through a dodgy tape deck, they're just sitting there waiting for you.

and they aren't forcing you at gunpoint to buy them.

pswii60

mrklaw said:
not all C64 games were £1.99, just some of them, like the mastertronic ones. I'm sure I reember some being £9.95

and £1.99 in those olden times was probably around the same as £3.50 today. And you don't have to try and get them to load through a dodgy tape deck, they're just sitting there waiting for you.

Some of the bigger games came out at £9.95 but were reduced to budget generally within 6 months. And even if £1.99 then is the same as £3.50 today due to inflation, that doesn't mean the games have held their value! NES games were like £40 back then, so why are C64 games 500 points when they were a tiny fraction of the price of NES games in the first place?

Also, the profits will be going to the current IP holders and the original developers won't see a penny. And many of these games were developed by just a couple of people.

Still, I'll probably pick up Uridium even at this rape price. I want Uridium everywhere. All over my face. Let me show you them.

8bit

Knows the Score
mrklaw said:

Most games were £7.99 and upwards(Automata's Deus Ex Machina was £14.99, IIRC), available through High Street stores until Mastertronic appeared on the scene and started selling games through garages and newspaper shops.

ToxicAdam

Crushed said:
People in America are paying $5 for Ice Climber and Kid Icarus, $8 for Columns and Virtua Fighter II Genesis, and $9 for Art of Fighting.

I think they'll pay $5 for C64, whether it's a reasonable price or not.

Actually, didn't Nintendo sell a million Ice Climbers for the GBA at 20 dollars?

pswii60

8bit said:
Most games were £7.99 and upwards(Automata's Deus Ex Machina was £14.99 quid, IIRC), available through High Street stores until Mastertronic appeared on the scene and started selling games through garages and newspaper shops.
Well, from the mid-80s you could get games and even games compilations dirt cheap, for £1.99-3.99. You could get most stuff of Mastertronic's budget republishing sublabels like Kixx and I think Ocean had one called The Hit Squad. You could get Thalamus stuff like Delta and Hawkeye for a couple of quid too, not long after they came out.

Price is fair if the emulation is exceptional. If it's as bad as Sega's then no dice.

You have to understand there are manuals to be written and translated, server overheads, perhaps credit card transaction fees (or retailer margins if you buy cards)- then Nintendo is taking their own slice for the service. Frankly I'm shocked they're not 600.

Plus Nintendo doesn't want to create undue preasure on more expensive games by widening the gap between the most expensive and least expensive. I thought it was a shame when they started charging over 1000, but conversely I can't eve see them charging less than 500 for anything.

Nocebo

c64 should've changed their logo to <3 64.
I hope they get Night Shift from lucas arts on there. An incredibly inventive platformer in my opinion.

Mar

Marconelly said:
Only it's not. There wasn't really any added polish or complexity among the top tier NES titles compared to some of the better C64 games. Technically, in terms of sound C64 games were leagues ahead of any NES game, and in terms of graphics they were arguably better too.

Many games were made like that yes, but tons and tons of them were made by teams of professionals as well.

Exactly. People bitching about the price should be bitching about all 8bit games prices on the system. Because as far as I'm concerned, C64 was at the top of the generation and nothing came close to it. Graphics and sound wise, library and gameplay wise. How anyone could expect them to be cheaper than lesser systems already on the VC is beyond retarded.

TJ Spyke

ToxicAdam said:
Actually, didn't Nintendo sell a million Ice Climbers for the GBA at 20 dollars?

I don't know worldwide, but the Classic NES Series version of Ice Climber (there is no "s" in the name of the game) sure as hell didn't sell 1 million copies in the US. The last sales numbers for the series I have (November 2005) has Super Mario Bros. as the best selling one and it was less than 600K. Ice Climber was at about 70K, so it would have had to sell a shit ton in Japan and Europe to get 1 million.

BTW, I disagree with those who say the C64 was better than the NES, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Jonnyram

I didn't own a C64 or NES myself, but the quality of C64 games was leaps and bounds over NES games, in the ones I did play. I don't think 500 pts is over the odds, considering the alternatives, but when I think how some of these games were 1.99 UKP back in the days (incl. Dizzy, right?), it's kind of funny. Still, the full price games were 9.99 on cassette and 14.99 on disk, I think.

I would love to see this come to Japan too, but I am not gonna get my hopes up :(

Mar_ said:
Exactly. People bitching about the price should be bitching about all 8bit games prices on the system. Because as far as I'm concerned, C64 was at the top of the generation and nothing came close to it. Graphics and sound wise, library and gameplay wise. How anyone could expect them to be cheaper than lesser systems already on the VC is beyond retarded.
Well I think NES games are too expensive as well - I only own two as a result. Not a lot of them held up that well as to justify a 5 € buy. Same with C64, I might spring for the occasional gem but that's it. At 200-300 I'd buy more games out of sheer nostalgia, even if the games aren't all that good anymore.

Marconelly said:
Only it's not. There wasn't really any added polish or complexity among the top tier NES titles compared to some of the better C64 games.

Never looked at the credits for any 8 bit games?

All 8 bit consoles had significantly more developers working on them than any of the Spectrum or C64 equivalents, even the AAA titles from people like Ocean.

Yes, something like Paradroid probably is worth £3.50
no probably about it
, but most C64 titles do not hold up as well today as console equivalents from the same age, and that is primarily down to 'polish' as the majority of games released were very much bedroom programmed.

bit pricey, yeah. But if NES games cost the same, C64 games should cost the same or maybe even more. ;) I would understand people complaining if NES games were 100 points or something like that.

C64 >>> NES + Master System

VAIL

Don't like the price, don't buy it.

Some C=64 games are timeless and would be insta buys, and yes Amiga please.

And US release.

Agreed. Some of those I would pay 500 points for, but not the majority.

It seems like Nintendo is unwilling to break the 500 points floor. They probably have some fancy spreadsheets on market demand that give a reason.

Teppic

I wouldn't buy many C64 games with that price. In fact, the only game I can think of right now that I would pay that much for is Giana Sisters, but thats probably never going to be released.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
fresquito said:
You know, we're not discussing accesibility. For the same very reason they could charge 20 euros and you would still have a point there.
I know you're not really discussing. You're mostly QQing over a price tag, which in reality ain't too shabby.

Top Bottom