• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in the Woods 2 incoming? Lionsgate hopes so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This direction is what ruined the prestige of the first Scary Movie, so I hope they find a way to not just become rote winks and nudges.
Do you mean scream, because scary movie was never prestigious.

zonezeus

They could do a parellel story and show what happened at some other facility. That's the only way it would make sense. That or prequel, but prequel would suck in this case I think.

The Beard

They could do a parellel story and show what happened at some other facility. That's the only way it would make sense. That or prequel, but prequel would suck in this case I think.

98.5% of prequels suck. It takes a special premise to make them work. Most of the time it's just a lazy cash grab that serves no purpose.

near

Gold Member
Goddard has a good track record as a writer in my opinion, CitW2 would ruin he's form. Hopefully this doesn't materialise and he works on the next Spider-Man film by 2017.

atr0cious

Do you mean scream, because scary movie was never prestigious.

The first one was right up there with Scream as a lampoon of horror movies, albeit not as "subtle." Scary Movie 2 quickly changed this and turned the series into latent homophobia jokes. Now we have the Spartan Movie. And I only use "prestigious" in a legacy kind of way, as in no one likes any of the movies now because of the shit that followed the first.

Zakalwe

Banned
All the people saying "prequel" need to watch Evil Dead 2-3.

That kind of transition would work wonderfully here.

All the people saying "prequel" need to watch Evil Dead 2-3.

That kind of transition would work wonderfully here.

That was my original thought but the circumstances are so different. The first CitW was a wide release Hollywood film. It would be a hard sell to essentially remake the first film but play even more with the tropes and such.

Edit: Unless you're specifically referring to ED3 as a sequel, not the prospect of CitW2 mirroring ED2 in its approach.

A-V-B

A sequel would be great, but you'd have to place it "after the end" because the war that no doubt ensued post-CitW1 would require a gigantic budget.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
so it will be a prequel? would be cool to see another type of horror monster get the job done and avoid the first ones ending. Long as its not a found footage or webcam villain.

Even if they come up with a good story line, they won't be able to capture the shock and awe of the first movie's plot. It would be similar to The Matrix for me in that part of the reason the first movie was so good was because of the mindfuck called reality the movie portrayed.

Firehead

Would rather they just leave it at Cabin in the Woods.
It ended. Leave it be.

Now.. A new movie and genre from them, I'd be interested in.

However, if they WERE to do an actual sequel, they'd have to make it just as unique and special as the original. They would need to come up with a very unique, unexpected spin to general "sequels" and subvert all tropes that sequels fall in with.

If they can pull that off, just like they did the original, that'd be fucking perfect.

I don't know how they'd do a sequel, but I'm sure they'd get around having to show any of the
Ancient Ones
to any extent, though I'd hope they'd at least give us some look at an awesome CGI
Cthulhu variant as an homage

Actually, they should just buy the rights to
Cthulhu Saves the World
, place it in the CiTW metaverse, tweak a few things, and boom, comedic gold.

Why CGI? Their practical effects were fucking fantastic.

If they do it, they'd better have the guts to actually make a direct sequel. Taking the easy way out with a prequel or retcon or some such would instantly kill my interest.

Set the sequel hundreds of years in the future. Humanity survived by looking to the stars, but they still need to appease the Gods and so the horror continues in space.

ArjanN

I don't see a sequel to this working at all.

Not just because of the ending, which I guess you could write around if you were desperate enough, but IMO the movie also relied heavily on the twist. Without the twist it kind of just becomes what it's making fun of, unless you just go full on wacky comedy or something.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But was it really a that big twist? Not that I didnt enjoyed it, but its been pretty damn clear whats going on after 10 minutes in the movie.

ArjanN

But was it really a that big twist? Not that I didnt enjoyed it, but its been pretty damn clear whats going on after 10 minutes in the movie.

Not that it's that big a of a surprise, as it's heavily telegraphed, but it's definitely the crux of the entire movie IMO.

I've long since stopped worrying about sequels sullying already good self contained movies, so if they say they have good ideas I'd trust the team that made the first as great as it was.

It seems like a prequel would be the easy way out. Most likely earlier problems where the system goes awry but without the same consequences as seen in the first.

There is actually already a prequel where that happens, it's a movie called The Faculty and they actually reference it in-universe at the beginning of CitW (although with the way CitW is set up, just about any horror movie is a prequel, but they specifically refer to The Faculty as the only other time the US has failed)

Wasn't the ending to the first one pretty definitive? Are we gonna have a sequel about
the last remnant of humanity hiding from the old gods as well as whatever horrors survived when they woke up?

How would the continue? I thought
the World was ending in the end of the first one

I put how it could continue right in the OP guys, that spoiler isn't just something I thought up myself. It's the actual sequel idea Goddard and Whedon came up with, in the official art / "companion" book for the first movie. They talk about it at least twice. They may go down a different route if/when they do make a sequel, but the answer to your question already exists.

Here it is again for people who missed it in the OP:

Q: How can you make a sequel to Cabin in the Woods?
A:
The Intern is the only survivor and he now rules over the Ancient Ones.

Source:
51gcNd2xsUL._SX386_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There might be more to it that I can't remember (i can't seem to find my copy of the book) but that's the basic idea they have/had at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom