• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 2014: First Image Revealed

Hugstable

Banned
dog_extreme__closeup.jpg

LOL this is too good.

El Phenicks

Neo Member
I'd really like if they'd stick to that nomenclature, I've lost track of CoD's order after MW2, and the story is kinda irrelevant anyway

Bsigg12

Nope, alternate timeline starting in 2017. I hope they never go back to it.

You know Infinity Ward will in 2 years. Next year Treyaech will continue the Black Ops stuff and this year Sledgehammer is going to start their own thing. It's going to be a clusterfuck

Please dont toy with my heart. That would b fantastic news if its mw2 redux. Everything untouched except for graphics, day 1

That would literally be the ultimate megaton of all time for me. I would buy it day one $60, $100 hardened whatever DAMN. MW2 is the god of mp for me. It's the climax of online fps's for me and my buddy who feels the same.

Nope, alternate timeline starting in 2017. I hope they never go back to it.

Spoilers for Ghosts

They pretty back themselves into a corner with that one, so they really have no choice but to go back to it for at least one game. I'm not even sure why they pulled that shit. Too many nights of watching slasher flicks where you can never actually kill the Freddy or Jason?

a916

I'll be honest, I think that kill streak would be hilarious and amazing.

I wonder how much a game built by COD devs in the COD engine (so you know the gameplay will be fun) but one that just completely lampoons and satires the military genre like this.

Shosai

Banned
Now, there is talk of a "new engine". Do they mean a new engine built completely from scratch? Or will it be a modification of a previous engine? (like every large-budget game sensibly made in the past 5 years)

Honestly they could just iterate on IW engine again, and instead of calling it IW7 just give it a new name and insist it's all-new. That should be enough to placate the idiots who are both clamoring for a new engine and don't know what a game engine is actually for.

EDIT: IF I SEE THAT FUCKING DOG ONE MORE TIME

WarMacheen

First screen is essentially a fucking nose smh. As a franchise, CoD at this point is a giant turd and is quickly approaching the porcelain singularity

Am I the only one who thinks this looks a bit too good? Seeing as downgrades are very much en vogue these days, I don't believe this image for a second.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Look decent. Assuming it runs at a locked 60. Obviously we would have to see more to judge though. We know nothing of scale, player count, resolution, effects, etc.

Proponent

Banned
I'll be buying this game day one in the fall. CoD is always a no brainer for me.
I can trust the brand, unlike EA Battlefield.

I have still yet to touch BF 4.
I've been staying very far away from it with it's sp wiping save file bug.
And the bug is consistent on both platforms and has yet to be patched six months later!
*I will never buy that series within the first week or two because of that.*

I have a friend whose had it since launch, on both systems, and says he still hasn't finished the BF 4 campaign !
He says you have to beat it in one sitting or its wiped when you come back.
I recommended he try saving to a USB stick the last time I spoke to him.
But Damn if that's not just plain BAD.

But I guess the haters gonna hate.

Proponent

Banned
The ones I get on the campaign, multiplayer and extinction mode? I can't be the only one. Even reviews for Ghosts mentioned that.

My frames are consistently 60 most of the time in the game.
I'd say at least over 90% of the time if I had to guess.

It's not a solid 60 100% of the time. I have noticed a few minor drops in a few small moments, but that's about it. Nothing too bad (sp or extinction).

jaosobno

The screenshot looks amazing, specially when you put it in context of game that prides itself on low latency controls and 60 FPS framerate (while presumably running in 1080p, at least on PS4 and capable PCs).

I don't know if this means they are no longer using ID Tech 3 (I hope so, but that's probably not the case), but if they managed to pull off that kind of facial detail on engine from 1998, my hat's off to them.

And regarding the Ghosts criticism, I'm just going to say one thing; all this critique, not just on GAF, but also on some other forums made me skip Ghosts on PS4 launch. Instead I went with BF4 which turned out to be a poor replacement if you're looking for a fast paced action MP (I figured that I'd stick to Domination and TDM in BF4, but compared to COD, it's a much slower game and post kill cam (which serves no purpose whatsoever) annoys the crap out of me).

Finally, 10 days ago, I asked my wife to get me Ghosts for my birthday, and you know what? I fucking love it.

SP has a good story, loved the ending. In general, considering that we are talking about modern military shooter, COD games have good stories (Black Ops being my favorite in the series). Also, no other FPS handles those "Michael Bay" moments quite like this franchise.

MP is excellent. Most people complained about too many campers and maps being too big. While I can agree that some maps can get too big and are overly complex, this definitely does not apply to all maps. The amount of campers is pretty standard for any MP game.

So I say this screenshot shows great promise, at least for graphical fidelity of 2014 COD title. Hopefully, Sledgehammer will deliver on gameplay front as well.

Top Bottom