• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 2014: First Image Revealed

I don't get why they would bother revealing such a small image... they could've just waited until E3 to show off gameplay and everyone wouldn't have minded

emko

sorry this has to be the dumbest screenshot ever it has nothing in it except the face and even that looks like the person was trying to find the best angle that made the graphics look good. Why not show as a player model? or really anything else that is COD not a close up of a face.

kanuuna

So long as it isn't in any way related to Ghosts, I am willing to follow this. I thought Modern Warfare 3 had a pretty decent campaign and co-op options, even if the multiplayer didn't quite hit the mark for me.
Still, I'm more curious about what Treyarch is bringing out next, although if this one doesn't turn out to be all that good, I don't think I'll be all that enthusiastic again. Future(y) stuff would totally be up my alley, though this slide doesn't really radiate that feel at all.

TheCloser

Banned
Oh please, do tell me of the many many games (which aim for consistent realism) that have radical jumps in palette across the game? Go on.

Are you honestly going to sit there and defend the coloration of CoD games. Is this a fight you're seriously trying to pick?

What are you seeing, all i see is two human looking faces in the screen shot. There are plenty of games with realistic human faces that have a good art direction. Crysis 3 for example. Please stop trying to pass your opinions as fact. When did attempting to emulate real life become life less? Just go troll somewhere else.

kuYuri

I think people are missing the fact that this image was from Sledgehammer's GDC presentation and the press only just now are getting their hands on it. This isn't even meant as a reveal, it's simply something the press are making news out of. I'm starting to think this was a leak.

The real reveal will be next month.

my-nigga.jpg

So do the mods just confirm who is black and who isn't to decide who's allow to post pics like this or...?

KoopaTheCasual

What are you seeing, all i see is two human looking faces in the screen shot. There are plenty of games with realistic human faces that have a good art direction. Crysis 3 for example. Please stop trying to pass your opinions as fact. When did attempting to emulate real life become life less? Just go troll somewhere else.
I didn't realize real life didn't have color? What exactly are you doing here? I made a comment about the lack of color. You (ironically) jump at my throat about how I'm jumping to conclusions about "what is good art direction" when I'm making a comment about lack of color. When did I comment on general art direction, and what it can and can't be?

It's even funnier that you mention Crysis 3, when that palette in that game is so much more vibrant. Do a google search right now of Crysis 3 and Call of Duty, and compare the first 8 shots (2 lines). I don't even know what else to respond to since your comment is all over the place. All I know is I'm definitely not the one trolling here. Now please, leave me alone unless you actually want to argue things I actually said.

I'm done derailing this thread and risking getting banned over someone, who doesn't know what a troll is, much less, understands the basic premise of my first comment.

maneil99

I didn't realize real life didn't have color? What exactly are you doing here? I made a comment about the lack of color. You (ironically) jump at my throat about how I'm jumping to conclusions about "what is good art direction" when I'm making a comment about lack of color. When did I comment on general art direction, and what it can and can't be?

It's even funnier that you mention Crysis 3, when that palette in that game is so much more vibrant. Do a google search right now of Crysis 3 and Call of Duty, and compare the first 8 shots (2 lines). I don't even know what else to respond to since your comment is all over the place. All I know is I'm definitely not the one trolling here. Now please, leave me alone unless you actually want to argue things I actually said.

Call of Duty has never had a vibrant art style, so why did you expect or feel the need to say that it doesn't?. That's like me going to a Borderlands thread and saying, wow that screen really shows how much cell shading there is. You for some reason feel the need to take jabs for no apparent reason. And to judge a game by one picture? I can find tons of games that are colorful but have drab areas.

TheCloser

Banned

What the hell does previous call of duty's have to do with this iteration? Its a new game built for current gen consoles and we have little to no information about it. How then can you make a pointless statement complaining about the color of the game when we have only seen a picture depicting 2 human faces which BOTH have color? That is why i said you're jumping to conclusion which you clearly are when you have ZERO information about the game.

This is what you said while jumping to conclusions:
It probably wasn't your intention, but wow, that just illustrated exactly how lifeless and devoid of color this game is going to be (par for the course, I know).

The key word in that sentence is Going. Make assumptions about a game you know little of. Jumping to conclusions, you are doing it correctly.

I don't get why they would bother revealing such a small image... they could've just waited until E3 to show off gameplay and everyone wouldn't have minded
They didn't release it. It was just in a presentation at GDC for a split second that IGN has only now managed to get hold of.

Given we're due for a teaser soon it might be one of those intentional leaks to get some pretty buzz.

maneil99

In other words, this is likely going to be MW4 from the rumors. From the leaked video impressions it seems like the graphics are better and from Mort they are indeed using a new engine.

AmyS

cod-sledgehammer-ignpng-a29997_610w.png

Okay...

Will be interesting to see if they can even reach Frostbite 3 / BF4 level of graphics at 60 FPS, native 1080p in actual gameplay on PS4 / XBone.

KoopaTheCasual

Call of Duty has never had a vibrant art style, so why did you expect or feel the need to say that it doesn't?. That's like me going to a Borderlands thread and saying, wow that screen really shows how much cell shading there is. You for some reason feel the need to take jabs for no apparent reason. And to judge a game by one picture? I can find tons of games that are colorful but have drab areas.
I didn't know I wasn't allowed to make a comment on the palette. I agree with your borderlands comment, but I don't think someone saying that would be reason for outrage or conflict. I'm sorry I stated the obvious? (I even made sure to say par for the course to say that not it's any deviation from the formula)

And yea, there are games with drab areas, but the palette is present through the coloration of the features and objects. The guy I originally responded to posted a picture that highlighted the washed out colors of in the character's face and fatigues. There's literally nothing outrageous about what I said.

cod-sledgehammer-ignpng-a29997_610w.png

Okay...

Will be interesting to see if they can even reach Frostbite 3 / BF4 level of graphics at 60 FPS, native 1080p in actual gameplay on PS4 / XBone.

Is it even possible if it's running on the same age old engine that's just been tweaked game after game? Treyarch's tweaks to the COD engine really paid off in Black Ops 1 and 2, Both BO games had good graphics(for COD standards), fantastic character animations and good lighting.

HiiiLife

The story in MW2 was so bad...

I am happy that the CoD sales records are finally over.

I'm talking about multiplayer. Even if MW2 was an unbalanced mess. It was the last CoD I had "fun" playing. I suppose they could tweak it to make it more playable if they considered CoD4/MW2 remix.

Pikma

Banned
Well it can't possibly be any worse than ghosts...

Right?
As long as it's Treyarch's, no.
If it's someone else's I'm sure it can go even worse.

Ghosts was just horrible for me, I didn't enjoy it at all. The maps, the spawn system, the bugs, everything was shit. This is definitely the last chance I'm giving the franchise, and I'm only doing it bc of how awesome Blops 2 was..

TheCloser

Banned
I didn't know I wasn't allowed to make a comment on the palette. I agree with your borderlands comment, but I don't think someone saying that would be reason for outrage or conflict. I'm sorry I stated the obvious? (I even made sure to say par for the course to say that not it's any deviation from the formula)

And yea, there are games with drab areas, but the palette is present through the coloration of the features and objects. The guy I originally responded to posted a picture that highlighted the washed out colors of in the character's face and fatigues. There's literally nothing outrageous about what I said.

I do apologize but it gets frustrating to read the amount of trolling going on in here all by people who don't like Cod.

funkypie

Banned
Same old same old. They said ghosts was next gen. It even says next gen engine on the back of the ps4 case.

Next gen first is more bollocks. Will be using the same tired engine with the same gameplay.

mr stroke

So long as it isn't in any way related to Ghosts, I am willing to follow this. I thought Modern Warfare 3 had a pretty decent campaign and co-op options, even if the multiplayer didn't quite hit the mark for me.
Still, I'm more curious about what Treyarch is bringing out next, although if this one doesn't turn out to be all that good, I don't think I'll be all that enthusiastic again. Future(y) stuff would totally be up my alley, though this slide doesn't really radiate that feel at all.

I assumed Treyarch was doing BLOPS 3 on a new engine?

And this was the sledgehammer game to fill the void(so maybe COD swat/police?)

KoopaTheCasual

I do apologize but it gets frustrating to read the amount of trolling going on in here all by people who don't like Cod.
Well I'm sorry if it came across that way. I actually don't think CoD is a bad game, I was just commenting on the "established" lack of vibrant color in the games. Didn't realize I pulled a trigger button .__.

TheCloser

Banned
Same old same old. They said ghosts was next gen. It even says next gen engine on the back of the ps4 case.

Next gen first is more bollocks. Will be using the same tired engine with the same gameplay.

Wrong, several people have confirmed that its a new engine.

Parablank

Looking pretty forward to this iteration of CoD considering it's from a brand new studio (treyarch better blow my socks off if they're taking a 3 year dev cycle).

Proponent

Banned
Oh wow, nice. It looks photo realistic.

But when games stop looking like games and just look like real life, I'm done.

We're probably a gen away from that

Anyway, good job Acti.

TheCloser

Banned
Well I'm sorry if it came across that way. I actually don't think CoD is a bad game, I was just commenting on the "established" lack of vibrant color in the games. Didn't realize I pulled a trigger button .__.

Yea its no problem, it was my bad anyway. Its just annoying to read this stuff. I mean just read the post by funkypie above yours. Thats the kind of nonsense posts that piss people off.

Silky

Banned
Oh please, do tell me of the many many games (which aim for consistent realism) that have radical jumps in palette across the game? Go on.

Are you honestly going to sit there and defend the coloration of CoD games. Is this a fight you're seriously trying to pick?

CoD: Black Ops 1-2 say hi. For god's sake the central color theme in B.Ops 2 is Orange/Red. Have you seen screens of it? Definitely no wasted colors.

Stop generalizing.

KoopaTheCasual

Yea its no problem, it was my bad anyway. Its just annoying to read this stuff. I mean just read the post by funkypie above yours. Thats the kind of nonsense posts that piss people off.
Ahh, I see sorry then. I was kind of just thinking out loud. Seriously was not trying to start something or get a rise out of people. I understand your trolling comment now. Definitely was not trying to do that.

Top Bottom