• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 Wii-U Q&A Orientation Thread - Get in rookie!

Zarovitch

I wonder if it will be possible to play with nunchuk and wiimote plus using the headset plug in the new gamepad?

edit: By the way i don't see any headset for the WiiU in store

I wonder if it will be possible to play with nunchuk and wiimote plus using the headset plug in the new gamepad?

edit: By the way i don't see any headset for the WiiU in store

Yes to everything you said including the edit....http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Headset-Nintendo-Wii-U-6309200/dp/B008YA9BVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352946515&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+u+headset

Getting impatient, when are we going to get some leaked footage of the Wii U version? I know the Press already has it and can play it (the Campaign at least).

Zarovitch

Bumhead

Banned
Why do I feel more obligated to buy this on Wii U when I'm usually dis-interested in CoD? I reckon it's the ability to play on the GamePad. Gotta love that semi-portable thang they got going on.

It is for me.

COD's multiplayer fits in perfectly with the sort of time restraints I have for gaming these days. Being able to pick up the GamePad while my wife watches TV for a few rounds is going to be huge for me.

Why do I feel more obligated to buy this on Wii U when I'm usually dis-interested in CoD? I reckon it's the ability to play on the GamePad. Gotta love that semi-portable thang they got going on.

What about the fact that the Wii U version has the most control options of any version out there? For me, this is the most important. What I liked about Black Ops on Wii was that I could switch between the Dual Analog and Wii remote/Nunchuck whenever I wanted. I'm one of those who likes both styles. With the Wii U version, we can use the GamePad as a Map while still using the Wii remote/Nunchuck combo, or use the Pro Controller or just the GamePad. More control options always win out in my opinion.

coughlanio

The first two screenshots have "LB" button commands. Pretty sure they're just 360 pics, haha.

The Pro Controller has LB/RB.

Black Ops 2 Pro Controls

• LB Button – Aim Down Sight
• L Button – Throw Special Grenade
• L Stick – Move, Click to Sprint
• +Control Pad – Inventory
• Select – Scoreboard (Multiplayer Only)
• + Button – Objectives Menu
• B Button – Jump
• A Button – Crouch/Prone
• Y Button – Use/Reload
• X Button – Switch Weapon
• R Stick – Look, Click for Melee Attack
• R Button – Throw Frag Grenade
• RB Button – Fire Weapon​

But those screenshots do show the 360's Back Button.

Donnie

Yeah I haven't bothered with a Call of Duty game since Call of Duty 2, but for some reason I'm really tempted to get this for WiiU. I'll still wait for reviews though to make sure there are no WiiU specific "we just can't be bothered" fuck ups.

Malvingt2

Black Ops 2 Wii U - the first definitive Call Of Duty experience on a Nintendo console

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get really excited about this game

screenshot_50028_thumb_wide610.jpg

A fully fledged Call Of Duty game had to come to Wii U. Whether you're a certified nuke-chucking prestige steam train, or the sort that believes the series is a subliminal indictment of Western patriarchy, cultural stagnation and the colour brown, you'll understand us when we say: it had to.

It's not so much a coup for Nintendo as a relief. After all, when you say that your console can play any current-generation game, what you really mean is that it can play this one first-person shooter. This is, after all, a series that saw its last title, Modern Warfare 3, gross more money in its first 24 hours on sale than any other entertainment release - film, music - ever.

The problem for Nintendo was that so little of that money came through them. The Wii's token ports have been more like wobbling impressions of the 360/PS3 barnstormers - the school trip-bought French BB guns to other consoles' Dirty Harry blow-your-head- clean-off magnums, if you will.

Droning On

So to hear that Treyarch's near-future boomstravaganza, Black Ops 2, would be coming to Wii U not only fully intact, but augmented with GamePad-friendly bonus features, is extremely good news for the console's image as a new home for third-party games.

If you'd lost faith in the Wii incarnations and haven't been paying attention to this game, let us bring you up to speed. By 2025, things have gone pear-shaped. There's a new Cold War instigated by China, the USA's remote-controlled drone army gets hijacked by a terror-nerd who's been pulling the world's flaming strings and everyone kicks off good and proper.

That's where you come in, helping to resolve the world's freshest global conflict and, more importantly, utilising a not insignificant amount of science-factual weaponry along the way. It's a mixture of the familiar and the brand new for seasoned players, with what is expected to be robust multiplayer functionality rubbing shoulders with new Choose Your Own Adventure-style single player sections. It's not just the regular Call Of Duty experience, it's an unusually huge one.

So how will the Wii U adapt to the gaming goliath's needs? Well, from what we've seen, incredibly well. The single and multiplayer portions are both completely intact, graphically up to scratch and run in a silky 60 frames per second, even on the GamePad.
Splitting Headache

Oh yeah, the GamePad. Even if Black Ops 2 was a solid port, we weren't expecting Treyarch to show much love to Wii U's touchscreen controller. Some features were to be expected. An on-screen map that updates in real-time (which is zoomable) and the option to change multiplayer class loadouts and controller layouts without opening clumsy menus have already become the norm for Wii U ports.

But there are other, more interesting developments. The option to stream action to the GamePad, for instance, allows true split-screen multiplayer. A GamePad player can take on a TV player (who can, handily, use any compatible Wii U controller, including the original Remote and Nunchuk combo).

Not only that, but the GamePad's second screen functions can be accessed even when using another controller. So as you play multiplayer with a Pro Controller, you can still eye the map on the GamePad.

Along with fully functional multiplayer, the new, eSports-friendly CODcasting feature (which gives you the tools to commentate on online matches), local multiplayer bot support and much more, we finally have a definitive Call Of Duty experience on a Nintendo console. The (near) future is here, and we're excited to get stuck in.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine...all-of-duty-experience-on-a-nintendo-console/

Anyone know if there is 4 player offline splitscreen? Can I use 3 pro controllers and 1 Game Pad? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

rpmurphy

Any impressions yet?
Initial impressions:
I think they've changed the control mechanics in a bad way. There's so much turning inertia that I haven't been able to get used to it and I've adjusted control settings in a lot of ways. All of the previous games' controls feel much tighter than this. Using the Wii Remote.

Initial impressions:
I think they've changed the control mechanics in a bad way. There's so much turning inertia that I haven't been able to get used to it and I've adjusted control settings in a lot of ways. All of the previous games' controls feel much tighter than this. Using the Wii Remote.

Lowering your horizontal speed didn't help? What about Camera Sensitivity?

BD1

Banned
Ok, I know this is a stupid question. HOW the hell do you create a party with someone on your friends? I dumb lucked into setting one up with my cousin the other night (IDs in blue, private chat, etc) but could not figure out what I did to do it. Ugh.

AzaK

Ok, I know this is a stupid question. HOW the hell do you create a party with someone on your friends? I dumb lucked into setting one up with my cousin the other night (IDs in blue, private chat, etc) but could not figure out what I did to do it. Ugh.

No idea, but there are ingame manuals I think, and I think you get to them from the home button.

Chaplain

Any impressions yet?

I played on the gamepad yesterday (only online though). I would say that graphically it is better than the PS3 and 360 versions. They have some lighting effects In the Wii U version that I did not see in the PS3 (I bought this version) or 360 (I rented this version). The frame rate is also rock solid at 60 FPS.

My biggest problem with the Wii U version has been the controls. The button & stick layouts are so different then the 360 and PS3 version, that it took me about at least 2 hours to get use to them.

I played on the gamepad yesterday (only online though). I would say that graphically it is better than the PS3 and 360 versions. They have some lighting effects In the Wii U version that I did not see in the PS3 (I bought this version) or 360 (I rented this version). The frame rate is also rock solid at 60 FPS.

My biggest problem with the Wii U version has been the controls. The button & stick layouts are so different then the 360 and PS3 version, that it took me about at least 2 hours to get use to them.

I actually think it looks better on the Gamepad but on my TV it looks worse than the 360 version. Haven't played the PS3 version to compare.

Chaplain

I actually think it looks better on the Gamepad but on my TV it looks worse than the 360 version. Haven't played the PS3 version to compare.

Ya. It could be that having the resolution so much lower makes it look better than the other versions on the tiny screen. Not complaining though. It is truly amazing to have those type of graphics in the palm of your hands. Wow!

BlankaBR

Banned

I agree with everything you said, the buttons layout is really weird, its hard to reach the buttons on right with your thumb on the right stick

Seik

Banned
Ya. It could be that having the resolution so much lower makes it look better than the other versions on the tiny screen. Not complaining though. It is truly amazing to have those type of graphics in the palm of your hands. Wow!

Well, technically it is sharper than its 360/PS3 counterparts because it is 720p instead of streched 600p. Personally it looks a bit better to my eye overall, only the shadows seems to be not that tight, for example: When you're far from a shadow it'll look way more blocky than when you're near it, by this I mean like 1-2 meters distance. IIRC that wasn't an issue on the other versions, but I prefer superior resolution to these little shadows issues that I can't really see unless I'm really taking some time to look at it.

ohlawd

500-700 people online? Wow I hope for Treyarch's sake everyone's just playing campaign to get used to the controls first.

What are the most popular game modes?

You have to be in Public Match. It should say which of your friends are online. You can then select them an Invite them.

Or you can hit Z and scroll through your friends list. Anyone playing Black Ops should have a green icon next to their name. Again, select them and invite them.

The invites, themselves, are pretty small in white text and just pop up at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds. So unfortunately, you could invite your friend and if they're looking away for a second, they could miss the invite.

Malvingt2

how are you guys doing in this game? I am getting better and enjoying it more. I skipped 3 CoD games before getting this one.

Also

Uh... Happy Thanksgiving?

We are working on an update. I've mentioned in a previous post that I can't confirm timing as this is dependent on a certain amount of testing and then coordination with Nintendo.

The number of people playing DA is significantly higher on this console/title than those on Wii Remote. It's the controller that comes with the console. We are looking at the balance, but are not going to just nerf DA players without spending some time looking at the real issue. The first update will have the customization controls that were missing from the Wii Remote. That should get our veteran Wii players back to the control they were used to.

I should be able to confirm other changes/fixes as we get closer to an update release.

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413625707#413625707

Zarovitch

I see that the headset for the WiiU is stereo and the sound of the game can be heard with.

Is it possible too use the headset just to talk and let the game sound play in my home theatre?

I see that the headset for the WiiU is stereo and the sound of the game can be heard with.

Is it possible too use the headset just to talk and let the game sound play in my home theatre?

This happens when I use my iPhone headphones. Chat sound in headphones; game sound in home theater.

What headset are you using?

MatthewB92 said:
So they messed up the wiimote controls in a hotfix patch. Nice job! >:O

Yeah, we were talking about this in the other BO2 Wii U thread. I'm sure it'll get fixed, but it's really annoying.

Raoh

Whats the general feeling for people like me that generally dislike call of duty?

I took a shot buying the WiiU for just one game. ZombiU, primarily on people comparing it to Demon's Souls and plenty of positive feedback from here at neogaf, and I do not regret it.

I'd like to add one or two more games but don't know what to pick up.

Anyone here not a COD fan and recommend COD for WiiU?

Anyone here not a COD fan and recommend COD for WiiU?

Well, the game is the same ol' Call of Duty. If you don't like the core gameplay, you won't like it here. But as a Wiimote player, I will say that I can't play this game on any other platforms. If you find that you usually lose your aim in gunfights while playing in frantic situations, you may feel relieved if you give this version a try.

Raoh

Well, the game is the same ol' Call of Duty. If you don't like the core gameplay, you won't like it here. But as a Wiimote player, I will say that I can't play this game on any other platforms. If you find that you usually lose your aim in gunfights while playing in frantic situations, you may feel relieved if you give this version a try.

Picked it up today, seems like people gave it positive feedback. I made my decision based on comments on miiverse.

I"m hoping Wii U community will be better than the others.

AzaK

I assume everyone has noticed the drive working overtime while playing this game Multiplayer?

Is this just par for the source on CoD, 360/PS3 included? Would have been nice if Treyarch used some of that additional 512MB+ memory to store some of the textures :)

I wish the homebutton would be worked in already -_-
I know, it's bloody annoying. Occasionally I get a really good multiplayer game in and I want to show off on the MiiVerse with a screenshot.

I'm thrilled that since I returned to my Wii U on December 30th, I've been able to find Search matches pretty consistently.

I assume everyone has noticed the drive working overtime while playing this game Multiplayer?

Is this just par for the source on CoD, 360/PS3 included? Would have been nice if Treyarch used some of that additional 512MB+ memory to store some of the textures :)

I know, it's bloody annoying. Occasionally I get a really good multiplayer game in and I want to show off on the MiiVerse with a screenshot.

You know you can save screenshots from the theatre mode? And you can rewatch recent games?

I'm not sure I'd you can do anything with them from there, as I'm unsure whether it saves a local copy or just saves to your CoD profile... As we can't link to elite accounts yet we wouldn't be able to get at the ones saved to our profile yet, but screenshots can be done that way

ReconPeon

Which controller have you guys been using for this game. I prefer the pro controller, but I'm trying to get used to the Wii remotes.

After the absolute drubbing DF gave this title for its single player, I'm running through it now and I'm fine with it. To my eyes the frame rate is above 45 99% of the time, with the worst dips happening in cutscenes where it doesn't really matter. The last Call of Duty game I played was Black Ops on PS3, which was much worse in both graphics and frame rate.

Given the choice between the 2 I'm actually really glad I picked the Wii U version. It has cleaner graphics, and having dedicated screens when I do multiplayer with my GF more than makes up for any performance related "issues" that might be there.

popeutlal

Which controller have you guys been using for this game. I prefer the pro controller, but I'm trying to get used to the Wii remotes.

Wii pad, I do fine with it, better than most actually. I love watching people play with the Wii motes, hopelessly trying to hit something and anything.

Wii pad, I do fine with it, better than most actually. I love watching people play with the Wii motes, hopelessly trying to hit something and anything.
Not to take anything away from dual analogue users but auto aim is quite ridiculous from my short experience.

Do we have some preferred settings for Wiimote aiming from experienced users here? Don't feel like tweaking it for hours myself.

EDarkness

I use the remote and do fine, but I do agree that the auto aim is silly and really takes away from the skill. Dual analog is tap a button to aim...then button to fire. Simple and just not cool, to be honest. Either way, with the speed adjustments they've given the remote, I've been able to do quite well. Though, the other day someone was bitching at a remote user for being "overpowered". Yeah...Call of Duty players....

Top Bottom