• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 Wii-U Q&A Orientation Thread - Get in rookie!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If I'll bu this game, it will be for the Wii U.
I'm really interested in:

being able to play with remote + nunchak (my favourite way of plaing fps), this time with all the graphics and modes and so on of the HD version

being able to play local multi without split screen

being able to play off-tv

being able to play with map and inventory on the gamepad while playing on the tvscreen

Jarsonot

I'm in the same boat - the only thing I need is a "mute everyone by default" or "player voice volume = 0" option. When I'm playing with people I know, I'm always using TeamSpeak or Skype.

But while I do think there's some reasonable doubt on whether Treyarch is actually programming the Wii U port and not some other studio (Treyarch has been weirdly deflective and seemingly unaware of that version), I think we can, nonetheless, expect a technically solid port that will "check all the boxes". But expecting any more than that (like full 720p or even higher resolution) seems more like wishful thinking. Maybe we'll get at least a stable 60fps in multiplayer - Black Ops for PS3 and 360 wasn't exactly a technically perfect experience in terms of framerate.

Reasonable doubt? It's bullet point one on the What We Know list in the OP! =)

Hydderf

Did you ever try precision aiming mode in any of the CoD Wii ports since Reflex? It's half of what you're looking for: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18047458&postcount=1145

It doesn't work all that well because the thing a pointer is great at is moving a reticule around a 2D plain. With visual feedback, it just feels like a part of your hand, but the accuracy relies on seeing the pointer, which is really a representation of the remote's current orientation to the fixed sensor bar. Fixing the reticule removes the reference point, so you have no idea where you're "really" pointing and consequently feel like you're nudging the cursor around. Then if you shift position, the mapping of your absolute movement to what happens on screen changes!

With a mouse, you can make extremely precise movements and can intuitively feel how far you're pushing it based on the position of your fingers and wrist, with the palm or edge of your hand as a pivot. That allows consistent mapping of very small, absolute physical movements to large movements on the screen, and again with visual feedback, it just feels like part of your hand.

I really hope everyone begs, borrows or steals Treyarch's pointer implementation this time around - they utterly nailed it since Reflex, just the right balance of pointer smoothing, acceleration and presets which are actually usable. Every other shooty-sprinty-killmans type FPS I played on the Wii seemed to have something amiss with its implementation in comparison.

I didn't know that, thanks !
Will have to try this Precision Aiming thing then.

You know Im 100% behind this idea. I had this pre-ordered from day one it was announced and offered at my local store. However the lack of ANYTHING concerning the online, the "Were working on getting DLC, and ELITE" on Wii-U along with the fiasco of needing multiple device to use a headset for Pro controllers has dampened my excitement for this one. I will be getting this on 360 and probably Wii-U around Christmas once I hear all the good and bad things about it. But for now Nintendo has talked me out of purchasing this day one.

I mean were 16 days basically 2 weeks from launch and I know nothing about the OS/Online portions of my $350.00 investment.

Also for those saying this is the HD version has it been confirmed anywhere that the resolution on the Wii-U is above both ps3 and 360 versions?? I think they are all identical no??

Treyarch did a good job with the Black Ops online. You could add friends/allies instantly. Direct messages. Matchmaking was well done. You could use a USB headset. I'm not going to say it's as good as XBL, but it'll be more than servicable. I'd have to imagine it'll be even better than the Wii version.

Dizastah said:
This is my question. Can I play online multiplayer with random people that are not on my friends list?

Yes. This has always been an option.

Pezking said:
720p + Dolby Digital > 1080p* + Pro-Logic II

It's insane that this alone will prevent me from buying any multiplatform title for the Wii-U in the forseeable future. Big N really shot themselves in the foot here.

I don't know how much you know about audiophiles (I'm an expert)....

Magic Ovaries said:
You know what, I'm buying this game on the Wii U just so I can own you - "Wiimote is better" - folks with my dual analog controller.

Watch me put monster scores, while you rage quit.

As an avid Blops Wii player, I've played with some amazing dual analog players and some amazing wiimote players. Ultimately, it comes down to skill.

For me personally, though, I can't grasp dual analog. With the remote though, I could definitely hold my own when I got dragged into some clan battles. The precision for me just makes all the difference in the world.

AzaK

Going to go with the 360 version since Nintendo hasn't discussed anything about how online works with the Wii U. If it's as good as XBL then I'll consider getting the next CoD on the Wii U.

Dude are you serious? With Wii U you'll put the disc in, fire it up, select to play online and play. We can guarantee Wii U have have that.

Dude are you serious? With Wii U you'll put the disc in, fire it up, select to play online and play. We can guarantee Wii U have have that.

We also know that Friend Codes are not going to be an issue. So unless all you care about is Call of Duty Elite, the 360 version will be your game but other than that, if you are buying the Wii U, there is no reason not to buy Blops 2 on it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'd love to get this game for Wii-U at launch.

But since the Wii-U doesn't output DD5.1 or DTS, I'll get it for the 360.

It's insane that this alone will prevent me from buying any multiplatform title for the Wii-U in the forseeable future. Big N really shot themselves in the foot here.
Wait, what? I thought the Wii U output Dolby Digital over HDMI.

Sethos

Banned
Hope there's some info how it compares to the other console versions before the 13th. Ordered it for the 360 but I'd switch if it was a superior version, graphically. Also it'd be refreshing to play CoD on a different platform.

Linkhero1

I'm seriously serial as a serious person can be. They haven't convinced me with their talks, plus I don't want to go against people using Wiimote, assuming it's compatible with the game.

netBuff

Wait, what? I thought the Wii U output Dolby Digital over HDMI.

While this has been discussed in other threads ad nauseam: No, the Wii U only supports 6 channel Linear PCM (which is perfect from a quality point of view). But this is a problem for people preferring headphones and persons that own older receivers or home-theatre setups.

Sethos

Banned
I'm almost inclined to get the Wii U version purely because of the colours, tried to make a comparison GIF. ( No, not a "Ohh texture" comparison, purely colours ).

Getting mighty sick of brown filters.

i2bkoHBvY1aky.gif

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm almost inclined to get the Wii U version purely because of the colours, tried to make a comparison GIF. ( No, not a "Ohh texture" comparison, purely colours ).

i2bkoHBvY1aky.gif
I'm pretty sure there are other ways to play BLOPS 2 with more color besides purchasing a Wii U.

Sethos

Banned
I'm pretty sure there are other ways to play BLOPS 2 with more color besides purchasing a Wii U.

Yeah, like spending ages ramping up your TVs contrasts and it'll still look like shit because you're just doing the colours on top of a filter. Plus it'll never come close to a native implementation.

And nobody said you had to get a Wii U specifically for that, it can do other stuff.

i2bkoHBvY1aky.gif

I like the look of the 360 gif way more than the WiiU gif.

netBuff

Please, not this again. The Wii U version will likely have the exact same colour palette as the PS3/360 version - this comparison is absolutely worthless and probably stems from a fucked up encode (wrong colour saturation, contrast - just take a look at the extreme black crush in the original "comparison" video)

You are buying the Wii U version for a difference that doesn't exist in reality.

Sethos

Banned
Please, not this again. The Wii U version will likely have the exact same colour palette as the PS3/360 version - this comparison is absolutely worthless and probably stems from a fucked up encode (wrong colour saturation, contrast - just take a look at the extreme black crush in the original "comparison" video)

You are buying the Wii U version for a difference that doesn't exist in reality.

You seem very knowledgeable. Explain why every piece of footage shown also has more saturated colours and no brown filter?

It's not hard to ramp up the colours for one version of a game.

netBuff

You seem very knowledgeable. Explain why every piece of footage shown also has more saturated colours and no brown filter?

It's not hard to ramp up the colours for one version of a game.

Yeah ... no. You are in for a disappointment.

And "to ramp up the colours for one version of a game" makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'd love to get this game for Wii-U at launch.

But since the Wii-U doesn't output DD5.1 or DTS, I'll get it for the 360.

Pioneer VSX-1022K for $250

You're just cutting off your nose to spite your face on that one. Would be thoroughly unsurprised if Sony/MS did the same with their next systems as well.

i2bkoHBvY1aky.gif

WiiU version FTW. Look at the debris glying around.

netBuff

Explain why every piece of footage shown also has more saturated colours and no brown filter?

Could you show me this to actually be the case? The only showings of the Wii U version so far seem to have been the NYC stage demo, the Activision sizzle reel as well as some off-screen footage (=worthless).

Barely any direct-feed video exists of the Wii U version, an no screenshots not taken from video.

But taking a look at the Activision reel from other sources than the widely-circulated "Nintendo is superior-edit" your GIF stems from, I don't see any indication of the Wii U version featuring very heavy black crush and extremely oversaturated colours:

tpbjm.jpg

Black Ops 2 Wii U (from the Activision showcase)

WiiU version FTW. Look at the debris glying around.

... but no jet in the background: Wii U version inferior confirmed!

That comparison GIF just shows how little of the Wii U version has actually been seen, it's pretty sad.....not only that but the sizzle reel video from Activision was probably left over from E3 in June but Nintendo made them hold out for the September conference. Reps from Activision have continued to praise the Wii U version for it's "graphic fidelity" so it all points to the Wii U version most likely looking the best of the console bunch......even if it's only a nudge better.

BY2K

Membero Americo

i2bkoHBvY1aky.gif

So what are we looking at, here?

Higher saturation (more colors).
More Bloom.
Less Blur.
A few missing effects (fire on the lower left, bit of smoke).
No Jet???

netBuff

So what are we looking at, here?

Higher saturation (more colors).
More Bloom.
Less Blur.
A few missing effects (fire on the lower left, bit of smoke).
No Jet???

I just posted this picture a few posts ago - it's really not that hard to find out that the "higher saturation" thing is highly likely complete fabrication. The rest of the differences point to both videos being taken from quite different development snapshots.
tpbjm.jpg

Black Ops 2 Wii U (from the Activision showcase)

That comparison GIF just shows how little of the Wii U version has actually been seen, it's pretty sad.....not only that but the sizzle reel video from Activision was probably left over from E3 in June but Nintendo made them hold out for the September conference. Reps from Activision have continued to praise the Wii U version for it's "graphic fidelity" so it all points to the Wii U version most likely looking the best of the console bunch......even if it's only a nudge better.

Microsoft marketing deal is really hurting us in this, but pretty soon we'll know what's up.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just posted this picture a few posts ago - it's really not that hard to find out that the "higher saturation" thing is complete bullshit. The rest of the differences point to both videos being taken from quite different development snapshots.

How? The Wii U version clearly has more colors, even in the screen you posted.

netBuff

How? The Wii U version clearly has more colors, even in the screen you posted.

The GIF stems from a fanboy video on YouTube that compares a heavily compressed version of the Xbox 360 footage to Wii U footage with oversaturated colours and fucked up black levels. This is not a a valid basis for comparisons, and there's no reason to believe the Wii U version to have "more colours" compared to other editions of Black Ops 2.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Just bought it on both systems today! 360 and Wii-U so I will be there day one...

Paid off Zombie Lands, Black Op2, and NSMBU today just waiting 15 more days!!

Radec

I'm almost inclined to get the Wii U version purely because of the colours, tried to mke a comparison GIF. ( No, not a "Ohh texture" comparison, purely colours ).

i2bkoHBvY1aky.gif

Too vibrant.

BLOPS2 is already vibrant than MW3. Then the wiiu take it notch higher!

I think it was allready known that the other versions of CoD were older builds and are now more vibrant too. They'll have the same coloursceme.

I think it was allready known that the other versions of CoD were older builds and are now more vibrant too. They'll have the same coloursceme.

Yeah theres a definite change to the colourings of those city scenes at least and an overall graphical change. I've no doubt on top of making things more vibrant they've optimised it all a bit better than the previous builds.

opi1saved

Neo Member
Am I reading the end of the OP wrong or what? I'll be able to play with one on the TV and one on the gamepad during online play correct? Not just local multiplayer?

I'm really hoping for this; and hoping that 2nd player will be able to log in using their own Nintendo Network ID.

Damn, I think the videos in the OP just sold me on this. I was pretty on the fence about it, and I really didn't feel like supporting more Call of Duty, but the vicious cycle continues.

i2bkoHBvY1aky.gif

I gotta admit, the Wii U version is looking mighty prettier than that other one.
I might actually grab this at launch, hmm.

netBuff

The smoke seems "thicker", and the debris a lot denser.

But, as said before, no jets because the Wii U graphics chip can't render jets (no blast processing). But 256 colours in both versions are confirmed!

I don't think you should put too much stock in a terribly made comparison of E3 2012 footage with Activision show-reel footage. The Wii U version might as well be graphically superior (seems at least likely to me), but this doesn't prove a thing. Wait for comparisons of retail versions to know the facts and make an informed purchasing decision. We don't even know whether that reel actually depicts the Wii U version of the game.

Just bought it on both systems today! 360 and Wii-U so I will be there day one...

Paid off Zombie Lands, Black Op2, and NSMBU today just waiting 15 more days!!

doing the same, got more friends and family playing on 360 so thats why i got a 360 copy and i want to play in bed so thats why i got the wii u version

B^)

can't wait.

popeutlal

You know what, I'm buying this game on the Wii U just so I can own you - "Wiimote is better" - folks with my dual analog controller.

Watch me put monster scores, while you rage quit.
Never mind on this, since Wii U isn't getting the nuke town preorder bonus, I won't be getting this on Wii U.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I wonder how easy it will be to tell who's playing with the Wiimote and who's playing with the GamePad/Pro Controller.

Top Bottom