• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 Wii-U Q&A Orientation Thread - Get in rookie!

Am I reading the end of the OP wrong or what? I'll be able to play with one on the TV and one on the gamepad during online play correct? Not just local multiplayer?

Hiltz

Using "Full HD" sounded like a PR statement. 720p would still be significant enough since it's the first title to support that resolution on the home console (assuming it's true).

clemenx

Banned
Am I reading the end of the OP wrong or what? I'll be able to play with one on the TV and one on the gamepad during online play correct? Not just local multiplayer?

I don't think that's confirmed. I'm praying that's possible. But that would be something I'd be promoting like crazy and I don't think anyone has even asked about it, lol.

Well then, Activision wouldn't shut up about it.

What i'm saying is that they're just using gaming buzz words. The producer was also throwing around "visceral" during his interview with Nintendo. We really won't know what the resolution is until someone like DigitalFoundry gets their hands on it. But i'd honestly be surprised if it runs at a higher resolution than the other versions. Not because the Wii U isn't capable of it (there's no reason that it shouldn't be able to do native 720p/60fps), but because I don't think that Treyarch will put that extra effort into it.

Jarsonot

Erm, probably not Netflix from the WiiU but sure, she can use the TV at the same time if you choose to play on the pad.

Right, but they've touted WiiTVii quite a bit, and I'd like to use it. I could see maybe disabling online play if you're using TVii on the TV and gaming on tablet, but I'm guessing it will be possible, and maybe helps explain the enormous amount of RAM reserved for os?

jmizzal

A great player with the Wii remote/nunchuk will most likely dominate against a dual stick player. The Wii remote IR sensor is way faster and more accurate than any stick could hope to be. Don't get me wrong, it's hard to master, but once mastered there is no going back to dual analog.

Yea I mastered Wiimote and nunchuck from having about every FPS on Wii

I will be getting COD Blops 2 Launch week

Using "Full HD" sounded like a PR statement. 720p would still be significant enough since it's the first title to support that resolution on the home console (assuming it's true).
Wasn't COD2 on 360 720p way back when? I thought PGR3 was tge only subHD launch game?

rpmurphy

The reps were saying that the gamepad will not only allow you to choose your loadout from the touchscreen, but also go into create-a-class -- during matches.

Hazelhurst

I've only bought one CoD game (Modern Warfare 2) for the consoles and was very disappointed. I vowed to never get caught in the hype of the subsequent annual releases. However, this being a Wii U release, I'm curious what will make it stand apart. I'm hoping it gets a higher resolution (720p/1080p) and solid 60fps. Also, I'm interested in how they'll implement the game pad.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I'm only going to get BLOPS if it's 720p/1080p. Not interested in a lazy port.

That being said all the videos and feedback seem to point to it possibly being the superior version for console's.

Why do you guys think an entire gig is being devoted to "OS" features?

Well I think it's safe to assume you can't run two games at once, and while Netflix isn't a game, it's not exactly a system-level feature either. It'll be interesting to see if certain applications will run along side games.

Are there any interviews where Nintendo have been asked anything of the sort?

Boogybro

The reps were saying that the gamepad will not only allow you to choose your loadout from the touchscreen, but also go into create-a-class -- during matches.

badcagetys1d.gif

Jarsonot

Well I think it's safe to assume you can't run two games at once, and while Netflix isn't a game, it's not exactly a system-level feature either. It'll be interesting to see if certain applications will run along side games.

Are there any interviews where Nintendo have been asked anything of the sort?

I think that if you can run a web browser, you can run Netflix. Netflix is basically a glorified menu. Also with it being built in with WiiTVii it's got a shot at being "built in" to the OS as well, which can (probably?) stream movies on the web broswer, so... I'm not saying Netflix is in (as a "background" app), but in my mind it's got a fighting chance. =)

I think that if you can run a web browser, you can run Netflix. Netflix is basically a glorified menu. Also with it being built in with WiiTVii it's got a shot at being "built in" to the OS as well, which can (probably?) stream movies on the web broswer, so... I'm not saying Netflix is in (as a "background" app), but in my mind it's got a fighting chance. =)

Yeah exactly. Just consider what the difference between an app on a mobile phone is versus using the browser. The Netflix app itself is nothing more than a dedicated client for streaming Netflix and considering you can use the browser while in a game it shouldn't be so much more demanding using the app

Hiltz

Nintendo said that we wouldn't be able to have our games paused while using Nintendo TVii. I assume that means not just accessing it just to browse, but also to watch movies/tv shows streamed.

I doubt you can run netflix and play at the same time. But you can play video on youtube and any other video that will work with WiiU browser at the same time.

Why do you guys think an entire gig is being devoted to "OS" features?

First off, if this was possible Nintendo certainly would have shown it off at their recent reveal event. Especially considering how much they focused on tv features.

Second, the WiiU doesn't have the kind of extra processing power needed to run a game and decode a Netflix stream at the same time. Even with a gig of memory available for the OS, you still need more processing to handle that second app.

Goodlife

Second, the WiiU doesn't have the kind of extra processing power needed to run a game and decode a Netflix stream at the same time. Even with a gig of memory available for the OS, you still need more processing to handle that second app.

But, as mentioned above, Netflix app isn't really much more than a browser screen with a menu on it.
If the WiiU can run a game + run the browser then there is no reason I can see that it can't do game + netflix.

But, as mentioned above, Netflix app isn't really much more than a browser screen with a menu on it.
If the WiiU can run a game + run the browser then there is no reason I can see that it can't do game + netflix.
Netflix is a whole app though. The browser is built to be able to use within the OS. Think of it as playing 2 games at the same time. I mean It could seem possible the way you can share the stuff you are watching with fb and stuff and screen caps or whatever but I doubt it.

madmackem

hahaha some pc would stutter running netflix and a full blown game and people think a $300 console is going ot be able to do it and stream it off to the pad, Come on son.

Disguises

As a strong supporter of Treyarchs Nintendo platform efforts, I will definitely buy this. I have some friends who are also ditching the Xbox platform for Wii U on release too.
Can't wait to dominate them with superior Wii Remote pointer controls :D

Edit: For those worried about the online network: Neither Black ops or MW3 on Wii used Nintendos online infrastructure - they didn't even use the "nintendo wi-fi connection" logo on the box. Not that it's a big issue to me, but this set up offered some advantages over Nintendo's service (ally codes/invites, keyboard messaging, voice chat)

On one of the few decent media interviews so far about CoD:BO2 WiiU, I remember the representative make a "no comment" comment about this specific set up. It would be amazing if this would work.

I doubt you'll be able to run a browser and game simultaneously on the Wii U. You'll doubtless be able to pause the game and quickly switch to the browser, but having them both running at the same time and competing for resources opens a can of worms I don't think Nintendo is equipped to deal with. It's such an edge case anyway - what kind of modern household is so starved of internet devices that the Wii U must always be ready to be called into service?

cacildo

I doubt you'll be able to run a browser and game simultaneously on the Wii U. You'll doubtless be able to pause the game and quickly switch to the browser, but having them both running at the same time and competing for resources opens a can of worms I don't think Nintendo is equipped to deal with. It's such an edge case anyway - what kind of modern household is so starved of internet devices that the Wii U must always be ready to be called into service?

I dont have a tablet, so i really wouldnt mind an extra screen to access the internet if my girlfriend is playing or watching something or whatever....

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Day 1, love the features they are putting in, have only played friends copies of COD last few years but it's time to jump back in.

I dont have a tablet, so i really wouldnt mind an extra screen to access the internet if my girlfriend is playing or watching something or whatever....

Congratulations, you're the edge case!

Really though, you don't have a tablet, smartphone, Smart TV or laptop (and have no plans to buy any of those things in the future), but you're planning on being an early adopter of the Wii U?

cacildo

Really though, you don't have a tablet, smartphone, Smart TV or laptop (and have no plans to buy any of those things in the future), but you're planning on being an early adopter of the Wii U?

I do have a smartphone and a laptop....

But the WiiU... its cooler

And new!

King_Moc

Banned
hahaha some pc would stutter running netflix and a full blown game and people think a $300 console is going ot be able to do it and stream it off to the pad, Come on son.

It has 1gb of ram reserved for the os. Pc's that stutter are doing too much and were not optimized for the task. You can't tell a PC to hold on to some spare ram as you were planning on watching Netflix. The point is that the Wii U could be optimized for it.

It has 1gb of ram reserved for the os. Pc's that stutter are doing too much and were not optimized for the task. You can't tell a PC to hold on to some spare ram as you were planning on watching Netflix. The point is that the Wii U could be optimized for it.

As I just mentioned, you'd still need the extra processing power to do all of that at the exact same time. Decoding a Netflix stream requires some processing power, and then their is the game running, and then sending one of those signals to the gamepad screen.

The chances of that all being possible on the WiiU are pretty much nil.

Berg

Also, You'll be able to adjust your wiimote/nunchuck settings on the fly with the gamepad. This is really important for anyone getting into the point-n-shoot scene, if you don't adjust your sensitivity, dead zones, ADS reach, etc. your gonna have a bad time.

Hoodbury

Keep telling myself I won't buy anymore Call of Duty games, but I think I'm in for this.

I'm the opposite, I keep telling myself I will keep buying all the CoD games and I do...

Wait, is that the opposite of what you said?

Dunno, don't care, just excited to play say more CoD and now in HD. :p

Donnie

Seems very unlikely it'll run at 1080p, simply because while I expect WiiU to have enough shader performance to achieve that I don't expect it to have enough fillrate.. But if its going to be running at 1280x720 60fps (TV) + 854x480 60fps (controller) in local multiplayer then that's 45% more pixels than 720p already. So they could perhaps use a resolution above 720p in single player if they only display something basic on the controller screen like a 2D map.

Donnie

As I just mentioned, you'd still need the extra processing power to do all of that at the exact same time. Decoding a Netflix stream requires some processing power, and then their is the game running, and then sending one of those signals to the gamepad screen.

The chances of that all being possible on the WiiU are pretty much nil.

I suppose that depends on whether or not WiiU has a decent ARM CPU to run background tasks. Wii had a 243Mhz ARM9 used for I/O and security, would be nice if WiiU has something a bit more powerful that can run more background tasks for the OS.

smartphone really small screen for comfort web surfing
tablet is perfect but not everyone have one
smart TV don't let you watch TV or play when browsing the web (or really expensive one with PIP so not perfect because you're not as close as you could be with a tablet for almost the same size for viewing the web)
laptop is expensive and it's not easily accessible or if you think it is why don't just move you ass and go to the PC in the desk :p (because it's clearly not as practical as a tablet)

I have an iPad, a laptop, an iMac and a smart TV but Wii-U gamepad will still be usefull for me. I really hope there will be a lot of Netflix, Kindle... apps so we can have a lot of multimedia usage on it. It the Wii-U have this I'll get rid of my iPad (PC will stay in the desk and laptop is my gf's so...).

Jarsonot

I just know, one way or another, I'm going to be able to play Black Ops 2 while "watching" Netflix with my wife, and it will be grand.

Boerseun

Banned
I have not been this psyched for a shooter since the Goldeneye remake was announced. I cannot wait. Day one.

Regarding my choice of controls - it'll be Nunchuck and Wii Remote for me. That's the only option, in my opinion. Nothing else comes close to allowing for that level of dynamic control and player involvement.

EDarkness

I have my copy pre-ordered and now it's all about the waiting. Just the fact that they added IR controls was enough for me to jump in, and now it's probably my most sought after game on the Wii U. Thanks, Treyarch.

I have not been this psyched for a shooter since the Goldeneye remake was announced. I cannot wait. Day one.

Regarding my choice of controls - it'll be Nunchuck and Wii Remote for me. That's the only option, in my opinion. Nothing else comes close to allowing for that level of dynamic control and player involvement.

Wonder how many times you'll stand being on the bottom of the ladder before you change that tone.

Mr. Robot

You are a wise man, and i look forward to meeting you online.

Wonder how many times you'll stand being on the bottom of the ladder before you change that tone.

Have you tried pointer controls?

Top Bottom