• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 Wii-U Q&A Orientation Thread - Get in rookie!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
For those of you who play call of duty with the nunchuck can give us some pointers for those learning to use it?? I suck so bad are there any special sensitivity settings for new recruits that can help out???

What are your recommendations??

You are a wise man, and i look forward to meeting you online.

Have you tried pointer controls?

Very unlikely I'd think. Most likely you'll see a response that says "yeah I tried them once with Red Steel and/or COD3 at Wii launch and never touched that shit again"

Not just for him, but I mean in general.

rpmurphy

For those of you who play call of duty with the nunchuck can give us some pointers for those learning to use it?? I suck so bad are there any special sensitivity settings for new recruits that can help out???

Here my general recommendation about the important pointer control settings you'd want to look at:

These are the important ones:
- Size of the dead zone - the smaller, the less center space you have for the cursor where the camera will not move
- Cursor sensitivity - the higher, the less physical movement you need to move the cursor
- Cursor speed - the higher, the greater the distance the cursor will jump
- Camera max speed - how fast the camera is able to turn
- Camera sensitivity - how fast the camera will accelerate to max speed; the higher, the less movement you need away from the dead zone to reach max camera speed

Pointer FPS controls are about the cursor control and the dead zone. Everyone will have different preferences. If you would like more of a light-gun-ish feel, then you increase the dead zone size as well as crank up cursor sensitivity and speed. If you want it to be more like mouselook, decrease the dead zone to a reasonable minimum and crank up camera sensitivity and speed. You can do a hybrid of the two as well by adjusting these five options.

To deal with lack of buttons, don't forget to map an action to the nunchuck shake like reload or knifing, and set weapon-pickup to be mapped to the same button as inventory.

Mr. Robot

Keep in mind that pointer controls can be a little bit hard to get the hang of, but once you master them, there is no going back, i gave up on FPS on the Wii since launch, because i couldn't get them right, that is until Blops came out and i deceided to give them another try, and i saw the superior control method for FPSs.

First of all, pointer controls, ARE NOTHING LIKE LIGHTGUN GAMES, so don't try to make them work like them...

Getting that out of the way, this is what i always did for the CoD games on Wii:
-Pointer Dead Zone as small as it gets.
-ADS Dead Zone i always leave a little box.
-Pointer Sensitivity, somewhere in the middle, having it too high makes it jumpy, and too low makes the cursos lag.
-Turn speed, middle to high.

Well it is a little hard to describe since you also have outer bounding boxes that you can customize, what these do is that the closer the cursor gets to them, the faster you turn, according to your turn speed.

Dead Zones are just that, dead zones, meaning that if your cursor is inside the dead zone box, the camera won't turn at all, so you want this to be as small as it can be (imagine your PC mouse), but maybe a little space isn't bad if you are just starting, and by a little space i mean really small space.

I leave a bigger space for ADS aiming since sometimes you need to aim higher without moving the camera to get that headshot, ADS and Free aim customization are independent of each other, as well as the Y and X axis for dead zones and bounding boxes.

maybe an image will make it easier to understand.
PYjUh.jpg

Treyarch has always put good control options on the Wii games, so i expect this to be no different, you can try them but always remember to make that free aim dead zone small before messing with the other options, or you will find yourself strugling to make them work.
Also map knife to nunchuk shake, for maximum bossness...

Discomurf

Cannot wait for this. Silky smooth 60FPS pointer controls will be glorious. If this was any other FPS from any other developer I wouldn't be as excited, but those who have played & mastered COD games on Wii know that Treyarch will have these controls as polished as possible. Anyone that thinks Killzone move controls are good has no frackin idea... BLOPS2 will be the new king. :)

Hey guys, wanted to share the latest update: Nuketown 2025 has been confirmed as a free pre-order bonus for the Wii U: http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/preorder

My question is, if I don't pre-order (this goes for any version) will the Nuketown map still be available day 1 for 5 bucks or something? I ask because I'm still waiting to see if the game is going to be a download title on the eShop and was hoping to go that route on Wii U.

My question is, if I don't pre-order (this goes for any version) will the Nuketown map still be available day 1 for 5 bucks or something? I ask because I'm still waiting to see if the game is going to be a download title on the eShop and was hoping to go that route on Wii U.

Nuketown comes with every launch copy of the game. Maybe the code is in the box? So if you get it Day 1, you should be good.

Q. What if I don't preorder, can I still get the Nuketown 2025 bonus map?

A. The Nuketown 2025 downloadable map comes with each launch unit of Call of Duty: Black Ops II. So the best way to ensure you get the Nuketown 2025 downloadable map is to pre-order your copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops II now.

http://community.callofduty.com/community/call_of_duty/english/black_ops_2/blog/2012/06/30/nuketown-2025-faq

Dorfdad said:

I don't have access to my CoD Wii games right now, but when I get BO2, I'll be happy to post my control settings down to every sensitivity detail. We should definitely keep a separate Wii U thread for CoD players to share.

Others have caught you up well on the major boxes. Just know pointer aiming is sort of like mouselook. Because you can't pick up and recenter the cursor device (pointer) like you could a mouse, instead the cursor floats freely in an invisible bounding box.

Within that box, it's like playing a lightgun game. You point and the cursor goes there. When you go outside that box, your view starts to turn. You can set another invisible bounding box for when aiming down the sights as well.

Treyarch lets you set pretty much every detail you want. You can adjust how much turning speed you have when you go outside the box, you can set how fast your cursor responds, how sensitive your Wiimote is to movement (you can have it pick up your every hand jitter), etc. As you get more experienced, you'll want to shrink the size of those boxes, so you can turn fast if someone is running horizontally. Mr. Robot's diagram is pretty excellent.

If you have a Wii, it wouldn't hurt to rent Black Ops to get a feel for the controls. They're probably going to be near-identical. My best advice is not to get frustrated. It took me 5 minutes to get used to the way everything worked, and then another 10 to tweak everything perfectly. It's like taking the time to tailor a suit. If you spend the effort, nothing else fits right. I've been playing with these controls since CoD4 now, and I can't go back.

Oh, and don't listen to those "Shake nunchuk to knife" users. Everyone knows "shake nunchuk" is reload. :p

NickMitch

Don´t think it´s worthy a new thread so i just post it here.

Shouldn´t it be possible to have a button assigned to a "deadzone-lock"

Like having a big deadzone box for when you are camping or in a large area with multiple enemies and then press Z for eg. to shrink the deadzone box to a more mouse-y style.

THAT WOULD BE KILLER!

Hey guys, wanted to share the latest update: Nuketown 2025 has been confirmed as a free pre-order bonus for the Wii U: http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/preorder

Awesome, took them long enough to even acknowledge the Wii U version on the site, but it certainly makes me feel better about picking it up.

Hydderf

About pointer aiming, I'm sad that no developper ever included a real "mouse-like" aiming option...

It would act like this :
The reticule is always centered, like in PC-FPS, there is absolutely no dead zone. it's true 1:1 aiming.
There is obviously a big flaw : Your wrist has a fixed rotation range, so, in order to mimick a true mouse aiming, you would have a "pick-up mouse" button. Pushing that button allows you to recenter your wrist without rotating the view.

I made some test in TF2 with a wiimote and a dirty script and, after a while, I really think that could work...I wonder why the option has never been (at least) offered.

NickMitch

You mean something similar to what happened with Metroid Prime Corruption "lock" ?

That would be extremely nice, yes. :)

No not really.
I dont want to lock on to something....just switch between big and minimal deadzone with a button. Like ADS without the ADS =)

Pezking

I'd love to get this game for Wii-U at launch.

But since the Wii-U doesn't output DD5.1 or DTS, I'll get it for the 360.

720p + Dolby Digital > 1080p* + Pro-Logic II

It's insane that this alone will prevent me from buying any multiplatform title for the Wii-U in the forseeable future. Big N really shot themselves in the foot here.

Grok4Spock

It's insane that this alone will prevent me from buying any multiplatform title for the Wii-U in the forseeable future. Big N really shot themselves in the foot here.
You'll have to let them know that Wii U is an epic fail and will put them out of business since the audio isn't up to your lofty standards. People can like what they want, but shot themselves in the foot? Ninja please...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thinking about getting the Wii U version because my Xbox Live Gold is running out.

Sorta the same reason I decided upon AC3 for the Wii U over Xbox 360 - I want to play the multiplayer.

I'm just hoping Nintendo has an easier implementation of online this time around. Crazy that the Wii U will be out in 16 days and no one knows what online play will be like.

I'll be getting this. Pointer controls + HD visuals is too good to pass up.

I played the shit out of the Wii versions of WaW and MW. Love the pointer control.

I've been thinking about getting the Wii U version because my Xbox Live Gold is running out.

Sorta the same reason I decided upon AC3 for the Wii U over Xbox 360 - I want to play the multiplayer.

I'm just hoping Nintendo has an easier implementation of online this time around. Crazy that the Wii U will be out in 16 days and no one knows what online play will be like.
Yeah, its pretty crazy.
I'm in the same boat. I wont extend XblGold and honestly, HD 60 fps, IR aiming... theres just ni way in hell I would buy this game on 360. Especially with Treyarchs track record on pushing Nintendo to allow them to do more with online, as well a putting in so much effort in a version that sold a mere fraction of the HD versions.

I would go as far as saying, that Treyarch along with Eurocom were the best 3rd party Wii developers and some of the few that didn't treat Wii gamers like drooling retards.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Going to go with the 360 version since Nintendo hasn't discussed anything about how online works with the Wii U. If it's as good as XBL then I'll consider getting the next CoD on the Wii U.

You know Im 100% behind this idea. I had this pre-ordered from day one it was announced and offered at my local store. However the lack of ANYTHING concerning the online, the "Were working on getting DLC, and ELITE" on Wii-U along with the fiasco of needing multiple device to use a headset for Pro controllers has dampened my excitement for this one. I will be getting this on 360 and probably Wii-U around Christmas once I hear all the good and bad things about it. But for now Nintendo has talked me out of purchasing this day one.

I mean were 16 days basically 2 weeks from launch and I know nothing about the OS/Online portions of my $350.00 investment.

Also for those saying this is the HD version has it been confirmed anywhere that the resolution on the Wii-U is above both ps3 and 360 versions?? I think they are all identical no??

Stewox

Banned

Maybe you should double-check what LPCM is usually used for.

For the sake of stopping further FUD, it means lossless(uncompressed) audio, what x360 has for 6-ch are lossy formats, therefore inferior.

Realistically, it depends on actual game-specific audio files, most games don't even come close, because of filesize concerns and their audio engine capability, speaking of 360, which CPU must do audio, a big bottleneck, it's a question how much max output really matters.

FLEABttn

Banned
Also for those saying this is the HD version has it been confirmed anywhere that the resolution on the Wii-U is above both ps3 and 360 versions?? I think they are all identical no??

Half the time, the PS3 and 360 COD resolutions aren't identical.

Boerseun

Banned
Black Ops Wii is AWESOME. Black Ops 2 Wii U will be even more AWESOME. Wii Remote and Nunchuck controls + HD = definitive version + DAY ONE.

Oh, and just in case someone from Treyarch is reading this, thanks for sticking by Wii this gen. Your efforts were definitely appreciated. Also, thanks for adding Wii controls to Black Ops 2. Gearbox can sure learn a lesson from you guys. Wii Remote and Nunchuck is the greatest FPS control system ever devised by man. And Treyarch's implementation of it with Black Ops Wii is/was spot on!

I really want some good hands on write-ups for this version. Gaming outlets should start receiving their Wii Us soon I assume. I have the 360 version preordered but I would consider switching if they released more information.

Nuketown comes with every launch copy of the game. Maybe the code is in the box? So if you get it Day 1, you should be good.

http://community.callofduty.com/community/call_of_duty/english/black_ops_2/blog/2012/06/30/nuketown-2025-faq

So basically the "free" Nuketown 2025 map will be in the game regardless of pre-order or not? I guess you can't blame Activision for wanting this to be the most pre-ordered game in history......

The Wii U version is looking like it will have everything the other systems will have besides Elite which about 90 percent of people don't care about anyway. The control options and GamePad screen play make the Wii U version a purchase for me as well.

madmackem

For the sake of stopping further FUD, it means lossless(uncompressed) audio, what x360 has for 6-ch are lossy formats, therefore inferior.

Realistically, it depends on actual game-specific audio files, most games don't even come close, because of filesize concerns and their audio engine capability, speaking of 360, which CPU must do audio, a big bottleneck, it's a question how much max output really matters.

Yep ive been running lpcm out of my ps3 for some time now, fuck optical and lossy shit. Will be getting this on both, im a sucker at launch and end up with a stupid amount of games this will be one of them even though i have it coming for 360 too.

Rehynn

Do we get motion ADS aiming with the GamePad?

I'm definitely going with the Wiimote, but it would still be a nice feature for dual analog players.

Hoodbury

The great thing is you can change your settings. I know it's a simple thought, but it's true how helpful that is. All the best Wii cod players I knew would put there sensitivity as high as it goes and their dead zones at 0. That's great for people with a lot of practice and playtime but if a new comer comes in and asks what should they set their options at, the good players always tell them those extreme settings.

Setting your dead zones low is a good idea. I usually put the slider at 0 and then tick it up 1 or 2 notches.

For sensitivity, what I do is put it a bit higher than the default as the default is pretty dang sluggish. But I know that since all the good players play with super sensitivity that I should work on getting mine higher as well. So after say 5-10 matches I raise it up another tick and I keep doing that as I keep playing the game.

I consider myself an upper tier player of CoD on the Wii, but I'm not one of the best of the best of the best. I never put my sensitivity all the way up like those super players do, but I would keep ticking it up slowly. And it's true the more sensitive I made it, the better I got and the better it did feel for true aiming.

So I'd recommend putting those dead zones low and the sensitivity I would keep adjusting it slowly more sensitive as you play.

edit: oh ya, and nunchuck shake is for reload. Someone set it for knife? Ninja please...

Donnie

I don't think there's any chance of the WiiU version rendering at 1080p. I mean the 360 version is apparently going to be a pretty poor 880x720, only 69% of 720p (and I'd be suprised if PS3 version isn't even lower). Full 1080p plus 854x480 on the controller would put the WiiU version at 4x the resolution of the 360 game. To be honest full 720p resolution plus the controller screen would already be impressive for a launch title compared to the 360/PS3 versions (2.1x the pixels of the 360 version).

FLEABttn

Banned
I don't think there's any chance of the WiiU version rendering at 1080p. I mean the 360 version is going to be a pretty poor 880x720, only 69% of 720p. Full 1080p plus 854x480 on the controller would put the WiiU version at 4x the resolution of the 360 game. To be honest full 720p resolution plus the controller screen would already be impressive for a launch title compared to the 360/PS3 versions (2.1x the pixels).

We'll see if there's some level of resolution change depending on the controller used. You're not rendering the additional 854×480 if you're not using the standard Wii-U controller.

popeutlal

You know what, I'm buying this game on the Wii U just so I can own you - "Wiimote is better" - folks with my dual analog controller.

Watch me put monster scores, while you rage quit.

Donnie

We'll see if there's some level of resolution change depending on the controller used. You're not rendering the additional 854×480 if you're not using the standard Wii-U controller.

Maybe yeah, I'd be very impressed if they did that in a third party launch title though.

Donnie

You know what, I'm buying this game on the Wii U just so I can own you - "Wiimote is better" - folks with my dual analog controller.

Watch me put monster scores, while you rage quit.

Good luck with that :D

Have you ever played dual analog vs mouse and keyboard BTW?

insin

Neo Member
About pointer aiming, I'm sad that no developper ever included a real "mouse-like" aiming option...

It would act like this :
The reticule is always centered, like in PC-FPS, there is absolutely no dead zone. it's true 1:1 aiming.
There is obviously a big flaw : Your wrist has a fixed rotation range, so, in order to mimick a true mouse aiming, you would have a "pick-up mouse" button. Pushing that button allows you to recenter your wrist without rotating the view.

I made some test in TF2 with a wiimote and a dirty script and, after a while, I really think that could work...I wonder why the option has never been (at least) offered.
Did you ever try precision aiming mode in any of the CoD Wii ports since Reflex? It's half of what you're looking for: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18047458&postcount=1145

It doesn't work all that well because the thing a pointer is great at is moving a reticule around a 2D plain. With visual feedback, it just feels like a part of your hand, but the accuracy relies on seeing the pointer, which is really a representation of the remote's current orientation to the fixed sensor bar. Fixing the reticule removes the reference point, so you have no idea where you're "really" pointing and consequently feel like you're nudging the cursor around. Then if you shift position, the mapping of your absolute movement to what happens on screen changes!

With a mouse, you can make extremely precise movements and can intuitively feel how far you're pushing it based on the position of your fingers and wrist, with the palm or edge of your hand as a pivot. That allows consistent mapping of very small, absolute physical movements to large movements on the screen, and again with visual feedback, it just feels like part of your hand.

I really hope everyone begs, borrows or steals Treyarch's pointer implementation this time around - they utterly nailed it since Reflex, just the right balance of pointer smoothing, acceleration and presets which are actually usable. Every other shooty-sprinty-killmans type FPS I played on the Wii seemed to have something amiss with its implementation in comparison.

Jarsonot

I think this game may settle the debate for a lot of people. I'm going to be playing pointer controls on the TV, but dual-analog (obviously) on the game pad, when TV is busy.

I imagine a lot of people may do this, and regularly go back-and-forth with control schemes. May drive home one's superiority over the other.

netBuff

While I don't know the posters exact setup, the reason there's a huge amount of people on NeoGAF missing DD 5.1 support is the fact that headphone receivers that provide virtual surround for stereo headsets (using techniques like Dolby Headphone, Silent Cinema, ...) are quite popular in the hardcore gamer market. I myself use an Astro Mixamp (to Fiio E09K, then my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro) that can only accept DD 5.1 input via TOSLINK. I don't think there's a single headphone system out there that accepts HDMI input (HDMI is a terrible protocol to implement because the movie industry was paranoid about piracy).

The Wii U does feature neither an optical audio port, nor DD 5.1 via HDMI support. The latter would allow us to connect our headphone systems to an A/V receiver's TOSLINK. And while receivers themselves do have headphone ports that sometimes feature virtual surround (Marantz, Yamaha models for example), those typically are pretty bad (high noise floor) and not sufficient for high-impedance headphones that need more power to be driven at an acceptable volume.

Regarding analogue surround support Pezking mentioned: As the Wii U does output 6 channel PCM audio via HDMI, there's no reason for games to license Pro Logic 2.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, its pretty crazy.
I'm in the same boat. I wont extend XblGold and honestly, HD 60 fps, IR aiming... theres just ni way in hell I would buy this game on 360. Especially with Treyarchs track record on pushing Nintendo to allow them to do more with online, as well a putting in so much effort in a version that sold a mere fraction of the HD versions.

I would go as far as saying, that Treyarch along with Eurocom were the best 3rd party Wii developers and some of the few that didn't treat Wii gamers like drooling retards.

They did do a pretty good job with CoD on the Wii.

I'm pretty optimistic about it on the Wii U. Honestly, as long as it works fairly well I'll be happy. Don't really care about voice chat and stuff.

netBuff

I'm pretty optimistic about it on the Wii U. Honestly, as long as it works fairly well I'll be happy. Don't really care about voice chat and stuff.

I'm in the same boat - the only thing I need is a "mute everyone by default" or "player voice volume = 0" option. When I'm playing with people I know, I'm always using TeamSpeak or Skype.

But while I do think there's some reasonable doubt on whether Treyarch is actually programming the Wii U port and not some other studio (Treyarch has been weirdly deflective and seemingly unaware of that version), I think we can, nonetheless, expect a technically solid port that will "check all the boxes". But expecting any more than that (like full 720p or even higher resolution) seems more like wishful thinking. Maybe we'll get at least a stable 60fps in multiplayer - Black Ops for PS3 and 360 wasn't exactly a technically perfect experience in terms of framerate.

Top Bottom