• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yeah it's a joke. Honestly disappointed in Treyarch for not even bothering to test it. I spawn in front of people constantly on it.

EDIT: What am I saying. The entire game has garbage spawns. It's a joke that a AAA game is this untested.

Also the AN-94 needs a nerf. Thing out hipfires SMGs and out fires LMGs at long range WAY too frequently.

Agree to both these points, the spawn system feels like it is getting worse, I spawned literally in front of someone multiple times the other day, it never gets less frustrating.

I said earlier in the topic that I am bored of getting killed by the AN-94, according to my stats on Elite the MP7 and AN-94 have killed me the most with a good few hundred past any other weapons, now the MP7 is understandable as it is the first MP7 and is unlocked for everyone and I fully expect most of those deaths come from the first couple weeks playing the game. But the AN-94 however you can't get till top level, and seems to be the most popular AR around at the moment, that isn't surprising though as it feels like it over powers most other weapons.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
They keep on making a good game better,.

We must be playing different games because they haven't fixed any of the games actual problems like the connections or broken spawn system and more and more things seem to be getting broken. Now lobby leaderboards and the party system seem to be working less and less.

system11

We must be playing different games because they haven't fixed any of the games actual problems like the connections or broken spawn system and more and more things seem to be getting broken. Now lobby leaderboards and the party system seem to be working less and less.

Do you mean the post match leaderboard or something I must not be paying any attention to? I've not had problems with the party system or connections past laggy players, who honestly are fairly rare - at least in my matchmaking experience. I play during on the 360 during UK times and tend to get matched with mostly UK and European players. The problem I used to frequently experience where my session would lock up/eventually time out post-match has completely gone.

As for the spawn system, yes it can happen - I'm not sure what they can really do about it - you can't have totally fixed spawns because that would be pointless and open to abuse, on the other hand players tend to move around so much that I suppose they end up with the option of spawning a player near enemies, or delaying their spawning. There are a couple of abuseable spawn points I can think of, but adequate cover to avoid the appear/ambush scenario. I would note that it tends to happen more when one/more players (especially the host) are lagging.

I stand by my opinion that the game keeps getting better - there are more maps, the service seems to be more reliable than at launch, it really is an immensely good title and ranks right up there in my all time 'gameplay for the pound' list.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I thought it was just me. I was wondering wtf was going on.

Yea me and a friend were already online when it happened so we were just stuck in our party lobby and a 3rd friend couldn't even get that far. I checked the official forums and most people were having the same problem.

Do you mean the post match leaderboard or something I must not be paying any attention to? I've not had problems with the party system or connections past laggy players, who honestly are fairly rare - at least in my matchmaking experience. I play during on the 360 during UK times and tend to get matched with mostly UK and European players. The problem I used to frequently experience where my session would lock up/eventually time out post-match has completely gone.

As for the spawn system, yes it can happen - I'm not sure what they can really do about it - you can't have totally fixed spawns because that would be pointless and open to abuse, on the other hand players tend to move around so much that I suppose they end up with the option of spawning a player near enemies, or delaying their spawning. There are a couple of abuseable spawn points I can think of, but adequate cover to avoid the appear/ambush scenario. I would note that it tends to happen more when one/more players (especially the host) are lagging.

I stand by my opinion that the game keeps getting better - there are more maps, the service seems to be more reliable than at launch, it really is an immensely good title and ranks right up there in my all time 'gameplay for the pound' list.

Yep definitely a different game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This hipfire shit is so annoying in this game. Especially from the fucking light machine guns. Every time the kill cam appears they'll let the hipfire do all the work. Christ.

system11

Hopefully next gen they'll be closer to the same game. But by then I'll be playing Titanfall (at some point I hope) and I'm not sure I'll care.

I'm planning to go PS4 for the next generation on principle based not only on Microsofts latest (Xbone launch onwards) behaviour, but also on the way they kept shoehorning advertising into the increasingly bloated and unresponsive dashboard. I really hope Sony have their online act together this time, because that's one area MS had a clear lead in - the online stuff 'just works', reliably too.

I'm on the fence between Ghosts and B4, honestly if neither game has a target finder scope I may skip playing these games entirely. As I get older I find myself less inclined to want to stare at the screen so intently looking for a small number of brown/grey pixels against a brown/grey background - the target finder has made the game so much easier on the eyes.

Jrmint

Kill Confirmed lobbies still broken for you guys on 360? It just won't find me a match. Really annoying, been like that all weekend.

Just finished up my best game ever in HCDom a second ago. I went 63-0 on Standoff. That was freaking awesome and nerve-wracking. Granted, I was engaging in the shadows mostly and flanking the enemy, but I still feel accomplished for doing it.

I went with the MSMC with FMJ and Long Barrel.
Ghost
Fast Hands / Scavenger
Dexterity
Semtex and Concussion
Perk 2 Greed obviously.

UAV
Stealth Chopper
Lodestar

7vPsgIr.jpg

Also received a nuclear callsign for doing 30 kills in a row with my gun I think. I believe I ended up with 34 kills with the MSMC alone.

What is everyone else's best game?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
27-5

That's mine and it happened yesterday too!

Used my FAL loadout with 3 mods. I'm not really a great player so this surprised me! I was 1 kill away from getting the Lonestar too ;(

I got the turret with the care package and placed it by the window inside the house (the skating park map) and tore people up with it lol

Forgot to mention it was regular TDM.

I am sooo tempted to pop this game back in, but then I remember how much it used to aggravate me lol. But no other games scratches my itch like CoD, and I wanna try doing commentaries on my youtube channel again so....

Question; What map packs are worth getting at this point?

system11

I think my best is 16.0 ratio in hardcore team deathmatch. The most amusing match was earning a Warthog killstreak and watching it kill only my team. Oops.

aku:jiki

Just recently picked this game up after originally deciding to pass on it and after almost hitting 2nd prestige (haven't touched any other mode yet), I'm very torn on it. The pick 10 system is super fun and perhaps the best new feature in any CoD ever, even though it has a slight balancing flaw in that it's kinda useless in levels 1-40 and you end up having classes with 8/10 because there's nothing else to put on, but the kind of variety it brings is still amazing. I also feel like this is the CoD that gets the closest to having actual weapon balance. Besides the Skorpion, which is far and away my favorite gun so far, I don't feel like there are any other obvious "best guns", like the MP40, UMP45 or FAD. I can kick some ass with MTAR, Type25, AN94, MSMC, MP7, S12, LSAT, DSR50, etc... On top of that, I think this game has the highest image quality and best framerate of the series. I've been playing a bunch of previous CoDs in the two weeks leading up to buying this one and it's startling how smooth an experience BO2 really is.

The sad and frustrating part is that we're still saddled with the awful MW3 netcode, where some dudes are just straight-up immortal and enormously obnoxious. Having a lot of practice with MW3 has prepared me though and after a rough first couple of days, I've got a handle on it and can deal with it most of the time. Treyarch's patented "play the same map over and over AND OVER AND OVER" technology is kind of a downer too. I've played like 10 hours of Hijacked but I've played Overflow literally twice. Twice!

As for best scores, I still haven't graduated out of running like care package/guardian/sentry and I only hit those maybe once a match, but I've had a few 40-3 type scores. I've had some fun kills like a SMAW quad, R870 triple and I got a DSR50 cross-map noscope through smoke on Carrier for the lulz.

Oh, is there like an easy overview list of weapon changes? I remember people praising the PDW when the game came out, but I've found the Skorpion and maybe MSMC to be the best SMGs. Same with R870, but I'm doing a hell of a lot better with the S12 and M1216, while the 870 feels like it's shooting puffs of air. I had SIX hitmarkers on a dude in one of the two matches I tried using it before bailing on it. The S12, on the other hand, is already on second prestige.

dark_chris

Piecing together the whole story from Shi No Numa to Origins, and the way the zombies story finally (probably) reached its conclusion, all I gotta say about the ending is "Ehhh, ok, ill take the ending!"

5amshift

Banned
FINALLY got my shotgun rank earlier today! 255 ratio with 152K kills and 590 downs. I was so goddamn excited to see it change and this took me some heavy play from May til now to accomplish.

FINALLY got my shotgun rank earlier today! 255 ratio with 152K kills and 590 downs. I was so goddamn excited to see it change and this took me some heavy play from May til now to accomplish.

That's pretty solid man. 152K kills is an incredible amount of playtime too haha. I wish there were more ranks cause right now it's pretty much that bone and double bones are extremely poor players. skull is the generic rank that like 90% of people are. Knife is above average and shotties is a zombie fanatic/legend who always takes it seriously.

I liked cell block grief too much to care about the ranking system cause playing with no jugg in grief can lower your accuracy and get you a ton of downs, but it's just so much fun and theres a lot of drama to it!

5amshift

Banned
Well it was confirmed playing Grief didn't ruin your chances of ranking up, which I was afraid of. I basically played all solo games up until recently. 4,000 kills a game 2 times a week for a while is what got me the shottys. It's hilarious trolling kids who immediately ask how I got the rank when I pop into public matches..

Fracas

#fuckonami
I booted this up today (free weekend on Steam) and I'm getting stuttering issues. Anyone know any fixes? The in game FPS counter shows mid 50s to 60, but there's a lot of juttering, even on low settings. My video card is the 650m (laptop), and I know I can run it at medium-high settings if not maxed out.

Man, it's funny and frustrating what kind of ebb and flow is created depending on what your supposed teammates are doing. Like yesterday, I played an afternoon session of 1-2 hours and then I came back later in the evening and played a couple of hours too. In the afternoon session, I ended up with competent teams that wanted to win and looking at Elite, every match was a 2-5KD match for me. In the evening, I got teamed up with, I guess, all the drunk and stoned people and the matches were awful. 0.5KD all night. Everyone on my team would just camp in our spawn, even if we needed to go on the offensive, and I'd be the only one trying to work objectives and would just die over and over. Needless to say, the evening session was cut short...

Anyway, can anyone clarify the "Wet Work" (I think?) challenge for me. It says get 10 kills without items equipped - but how do they define "items"? Does it have to be a completely empty class or can I have perks and wildcards at least?

Also, I bought the pack-a-punch dlc pack knowing going in that it was likely a ripoff, but I was still surprised when it was. It's been neatly and beautifully customized for a few weapons (like it looks really good on the SWAT and the M27), but for most weapons (MP7, T25, PDW, R870, SMAW, etc) it has just been rushed and slapped on and looks all low-res and shitty. Way to respect your customers, Treyarch.

Jafo_

Anyway, can anyone clarify the "Wet Work" (I think?) challenge for me. It says get 10 kills without items equipped - but how do they define "items"? Does it have to be a completely empty class or can I have perks and wildcards at least?

Have nothing selected in the class setup, 0 of 10. You don't need to go all ham with just the combat knife. If you kill someone or pick up a weapon, you can use it and those kills count towards the 10 for the challenge.

Best advice, do it in hardcore, early in the mornings. Make sure your score streaks are also nonlethal. I didn't and almost wrecked my chances with completing it... stupid sentrygun>_<

eek5

You can't have any perks/items but you can have scorestreaks. (lethal ones don't count towards the 10 though.. I'd go with uav/cuav) You can also use stuff you pick up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clVU_68DOiY

Here is a video of me getting it. I think it took like 8-10 matches. The hardest part is finding decent weapons on the ground that have enough ammo for you to rattle off 10. Having a decent team to cover your back is very helpful too.

Thanks guys, too bad I can't even have perks but that's cool. Shouldn't be too big of a deal on Hijacked as long as I can pick up a shotgun. Is that TDM in the video? I've been wondering what was up with the yellow car on the loading screen for Raid, since it's not there in objective modes.

Speaking of maps, what's the consensus on them? I think they're a lot better, a lot better, than the ones in MW3. Both gameplay-wise and aesthetically. I'm the type who doesn't mind that Hijacked is every other map, but I also really like Standoff and Slums. I don't know what it's called yet but the Lost-like beach one was cool too. Meltdown, Plaza, Cargo, Overflow, Raid, Drone, Turbine, Express, Yemen and most of the rest are decent to play on and nothing I will vote against, but I won't upvote them when Standoff is coming up either. Carrier is cool in theory but kinda sucks to play on, as does Aftermath.

I have the season pass but the community seems to hate the map packs with a seething passion, or something? They always vote against any DLC map that pops up. I've gotten to play the Lost-like beach one once and that one was pretty cool, nice flow and very nice graphics for CoD. Grind kinda sucks. Downhill is all right aside from the dumb lifts. Don't think I've gotten to see any other DLC map yet...

XM8 + FAL are pretty well known as being the best.
I feel like the Type25 is up there too. I'm still in "cycling through weapons and unlocking stuff" mode so every time I come back to the T25, I'm surprised by how well I do with it. AN94 is pretty sweet too, especially if you burst fire. M27 is average but has some of the best iron sights in the game, IMO.

I also feel like this might be the first game in the series where there isn't one that just plain sucks. Actually, that goes for all weapon categories.

eek5

Thanks guys, too bad I can't even have perks but that's cool. Shouldn't be too big of a deal on Hijacked as long as I can pick up a shotgun. Is that TDM in the video? I've been wondering what was up with the yellow car on the loading screen for Raid, since it's not there in objective modes.

Yup that's TDM. It's funny when my obj friends play with me because they are always surprised to see the yellow car there too.

Nebula

Saw your video and decided to try and get the Wet Work challenge. Did it in 3 games and it was on Raid as well. Got some guys PDW and wrecked house with it. Camped the center square looking towards garage side and killing them as they walked out with a guardian covering it in case I needed to reload or something. Had 2 guys at fountain watching my back which was nice.

Glad I tried to get it. Was pretty fun.

Does the fast hands perk affect how fast I can hack with the black hat, or not?
I've not played since May and can't remember.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm guessing it doesn't. Swapped to Cold Blooded instead.

Does the fast hands perk affect how fast I can hack with the black hat, or not?
I've not played since May and can't remember.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm guessing it doesn't. Swapped to Cold Blooded instead.
I haven't used it enough to know about the actual hacking part but you will do it faster regardless considering you'll pull out and put away the black hat faster, that's for sure. Fast Hands is a must-have perk for me on almost all classes, though I do like CB too because fuck target finder campers.

(Damn it, I do it too when I end up on Nuketown with an entirely incompetent team. I'm not running into that meat grinder when my entire team is camping the back of the map, I'll just post up with my target finder LMG and get me some streaks.)

I almost had a nuclear yesterday, on Hijacked, using an R870 of all things. I was running around one of the "cabins" and going hard, even got a pretty damn nice shotgun quad. Moved to the other "cabin" and kept the spree going at around 20-25 kills, and then I finally get killed by some jackass sitting in an unexpected dark corner with his MMS up when he was supposed to be working on objectives. Of course that's what happens... :(

And that's not even the worst one! I don't think I have any kind of a shot at triple-capping for three minutes, nor does it seem possible to go 30-0 in FFA. So many revenge spawns!

keezy

Can anybody tell me why CoD has such a bad rep. now? I've played CoD since it first came out with the exception of MW3 and started playing BLOPS2 a few months ago. Before then I was mostly playing CS:GO and BF3 but I got sick of the influx of people hacking in CS:GO(Brazilians in matchmaking) and BF3 was boring playing by myself. I told my friends that I've been playing BLOPS2 and having a blast and they look at me like I'm crazy... I don't understand why everybody currently hates on this franchise. Any insight on this?

Alt183

Can anybody tell me why CoD has such a bad rep. now? I've played CoD since it first came out with the exception of MW3 and started playing BLOPS2 a few months ago. Before then I was mostly playing CS:GO and BF3 but I got sick of the influx of people hacking in CS:GO(Brazilians in matchmaking) and BF3 was boring playing by myself. I told my friends that I've been playing BLOPS2 and having a blast and they look at me like I'm crazy... I don't understand why everybody currently hates on this franchise. Any insight on this?

People taking in the hype. A similar thing happened to me. I haven't played COD since MW2, and only played BO2 since it was a gift. I fell in love with it. Had dinner with some friends, told them I've been busy playing Zombies; they all looked away or shook their heads as the words Call of Duty started. Price of popularity, I guess.

BO1 and MW3 were that bad.

Top Bottom