• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

test_account

XP-39C²
had to check the weapon challenges on the COD Elite website. Not sure about in game though. Must be under barracks right?
I cant see anything under barracks about the weapons. If i click on primary weapons and chose assault rifles for example, all i see is which attachements and camos i've unlocked. It doesnt say anything like "get 30 kills with red dot sight". Have they removed this type of challenges?

I just found out where the other challenges are listed. They are listed under Barracks indeed, but i had to navigate to the right, i didnt see that.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Anyone else noticing that on the 360 the game seems to be lagging behind about 1 sec from the enemies? I thought it was me but I had 4-5 people say it was the same for them.

See an enemy running, follow them unload at least 4-5 bullets in the back of them to have them turn around and one shot me with the same type of gun. It's so frustrating as I feel SMG's are nerfred requiring 12+ bullets to get a kill compared to any single bullet weapon.

I get it that some people are better but I just feel that there is some netcode issues. Nothing like the PS3 freezing up but still. Kinda like the radio being out of sync with a movie..

It's not my connection either 75/75 FIOS..

How prevalent are killstreaks in this game? I've only played a few games of Bootcamp and there have been almost zero killstreaks, but then again I imagine players in that mode aren't particularly good.

bunch of UAVs not much else.

Game has become unplayable now, I started getting the freezes again along with the lobby crap.

How prevalent are killstreaks in this game? I've only played a few games of Bootcamp and there have been almost zero killstreaks, but then again I imagine players in that mode aren't particularly good.

They're more prevalent in the objective based modes, but it's not too bad. I will say the new air strike is a pain since there is no real chance to react to it. I've actually been killed by one before the announcer said it was incoming.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
bunch of UAVs not much else.

They're more prevalent in the objective based modes, but it's not too bad. I will say the new air strike is a pain since there is no real chance to react to it. I've actually been killed by one before the announcer said it was incoming.

That's promising actually, I freaking hate killstreaks.

Not true at all. I'm getting atleast 1 Chopper every match.

Oh. Hopefully it's nowhere near as bad as MW3 was, raining fire down from the sky every other second.

mxgt

Banned

I'm level 30 and have seen one player controlled gunship which was shot down

It's UAV and lightning strike that are the most prevalent. It's nowhere near as bad as MW 2 and 3

Less frequent in TDM, since a UAV takes 3.75 kills to acquire. Consequently everybody seems to be running UAV/ HK/ Care Package as their scorestreaks.

Anyone else noticing that on the 360 the game seems to be lagging behind about 1 sec from the enemies? I thought it was me but I had 4-5 people say it was the same for them.

See an enemy running, follow them unload at least 4-5 bullets in the back of them to have them turn around and one shot me with the same type of gun. It's so frustrating as I feel SMG's are nerfred requiring 12+ bullets to get a kill compared to any single bullet weapon.

I get it that some people are better but I just feel that there is some netcode issues. Nothing like the PS3 freezing up but still. Kinda like the radio being out of sync with a movie..

I dunno man. Like I've already said numerous times already, this never happened to me (360). My connection seems to be perfect :/

Give the game a week or two to fix all these "networking" issues peoples like you are experiencing. Maybe it has to do with the distance you are from the servers?

iNvid02

the default operative class rocks, its like it was tailor made for me. been switching between that and a type 25 loadout

It's been mostly smooth sailing in my experience. A few blatant cases of lag compensation but nothing unusual or unexpected.

One thing that kinda bothers me is, the first few minutes of the first map I play upon booting up the game, I get uneven performance, with fps anywhere from 30 to 60. Then it just goes away. Anyone else gets this? Might be my rig.

The fps drop at the being of the match happened to me once throughout 11 hours of solely multiplayer so far. I assumed it was a weird cause of lag so I quit out and haven't experienced it since aside from bits of lag compensation here and there.

My experience with the PC version has been great!

aku:jiki

Oh. Hopefully it's nowhere near as bad as MW3 was, raining fire down from the sky every other second.
That was the support streak stealth bomber 99% of the time, which was one of the worst ideas in the series.

I saw like five non-care package assault Osprey Gunners in hundreds of hours of play.

Give the game a week or two to fix all these "networking" issues peoples like you are experiencing. Maybe it has to do with the distance you are from the servers?
It's the netcode they introduced to the series with the first Black Ops, it's the game and not the players. Are you really watching your killcams and paying attention to what's happening to you? I find it very hard to believe that you're not experiencing the same lag everyone experiences with every CoD since the netcode switch. No offense, but it's quite a lot more likely that you haven't learned how to see it yet.

It's the netcode they introduced to the series with the first Black Ops, it's the game and not the players. Are you really watching your killcams and paying attention to what's happening to you? I find it very hard to believe that you're not experiencing the same lag everyone experiences with every CoD since the netcode switch. No offense, but it's quite a lot more likely that you haven't learned how to see it yet.

Are you using a wired connection? I've switched to wireless and I can actually compete now. That's how this thing works, right? Giving players with bad connections an advantage?

Now I'm just starting to get to grips with jumping drop-shotters. And they thought Halo 4 was like COD!

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Is there any big maps in this game? Like Overgrown or Wasteland from MW and MW2? Even Array from BLOPS?

I haven't played them all but so far all medium/small. People are right about SMG's being better, but that is not the issue with the maps, the issue is the SMG hip firing on these small maps is really good and even aiming down sights with an AR in this case is not better.

Are you using a wired connection? I've switched to wireless and I can actually compete now. That's how this thing works, right? Giving players with bad connections an advantage?

Now I'm just starting to get to grips with jumping drop-shotters. And they thought Halo 4 was like COD!

Wait, so if you have a wired connection you are at a disadvantage? Hmm, guess i should probably pass.

Smgs seems to beat out ars over range too, the fuck.

I believe MW1 was the best of the bunch. MW2 was also good but glaring flaws such as unlimited tubing and knifing (plus quick scoping) made the game unbearable after a while. I was never a big fan of Black Ops but tolerated it. The original BO just felt like an unfinished product that had poor audio, graphically it seemed a step down, and hit detection was horrendous. MW3 seemed to have the similar pros from MW2 such as audio, graphic design, and hit detection seemed fairly consistent but the game catered so much to SMGers and quick scopers. It seems BO2 is going the same route that encourages run and gun twitch gameplay. Graphically it's an improvement over the original but audio effects in game leave a bit to be desired.

No other game in the series has caused me as much frustration as the new one. Getting spawn killed repeated is apparently the new hotness. I've had a 2.0 or above for most MW games but for this new incarnation I rarely stay alive longer than 10 seconds and am lucky to have a 1.0 KD. I just quit after playing 2 games last night.

After a great start on PS3 I've now got constant freezing of my PS3 , disconnects , bad lag , and for some reason the sound had gone really weird like constant squeaks and crackling.

Cmagus

The lag is incredible in this. The last two days every single match lags beyond belief.The first day it was out everything was great but now its just a mess and it certainly isn't my connection and I play many online games with none of these problems.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The lag is incredible in this. The last two days every single match lags beyond belief.The first day it was out everything was great but now its just a mess and it certainly isn't my connection and I play many online games with none of these problems.

This has been an issue in COD ever since BO1 (and probably before, but it never really affected me as much). Until Activision sucks it up and gets dedicated servers, this issue isn't going away anytime soon.

I'm not getting anywhere near as much lag compensation playing on a wireless connection. YMMV, for sure.
Other way around, you're getting more lag comp when your connection is worse. And, yeah, that is the way it seems to work - the less you lag, the more you get punished by everyone who does lag.

This has been an issue in COD ever since BO1 (and probably before, but it never really affected me as much). Until Activision sucks it up and gets dedicated servers, this issue isn't going away anytime soon.
People can still lag in their connection to the dedicated server, and thus to you. The best solution would be to just rip theatre mode out and put the old netcode back in.

I mean, people who like to make youtube videos don't even like theater since it always makes your accuracy look like shit. Nobody wins with this netcode.

I'm not getting anywhere near as much lag compensation playing on a wireless connection. YMMV, for sure.
Ah, ok. I have no knowledge of that, no wireless for the 360 and didn't want to get this for ps3 after blops. Shame, i am kind. Of bored with halo 4 already and want to play something that allows for closer combat engagements.

So for those with experience: stay wired 360, or get a wireless adapter, or play on ps3, or just sit this one out?

Yes the kill cam seems to be off by 30 or 40ms but I haven't experienced any of the bull shits I've heard in this topic like firing at the back of someone only to see him doing a 180 and killing me for an example. Hell for some of you it's like the enemy team always has an advantage against you which is nonsense. When I actually play the game my connection is perfect as in my gun and my body do their job and never encountered a situation where I would blame the netcode. Also do not pretend everyone is experiencing these issues because you have absolutely no way to affirm this.

Also I'd like to add that I'm on wi-fi, though my 360 is literally a meter away from my modem.

Linkhero1

Other way around, you're getting more lag comp when your connection is worse. And, yeah, that is the way it seems to work - the less you lag, the more you get punished by everyone who does lag.

People can still lag in their connection to the dedicated server, and thus to you. The best solution would be to just rip theatre mode out and put the old netcode back in.

I mean, people who like to make youtube videos don't even like theater since it always makes your accuracy look like shit. Nobody wins with this netcode.

They should have put a way to turn it off like in MW3. I think the game connections wouldn't be as buggy.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Yes the kill cam seems to be off by 30 or 40ms but I haven't experienced any of the bull shits I've heard in this topic like firing at the back of someone only to see him doing a 180 and killing me for an example. Hell for some of you it's like the enemy team always has an advantage against you which is nonsense. When I actually play the game my connection is perfect as in my gun and my body do their job and never encountered a situation where I would blame the netcode. Also do not pretend everyone is experiencing these issues because you have absolutely no way to affirm this.

That's how I feel too.

He said it's happened to him specifically but never said it was a given for everyone to experience the same issues if that's where you're getting at. I'd believe him since I went through some of the same problems he did in a majority of the TDM I've played so far.

I'm not into Halo but I did notice that spawning was never an issue in the series from what I've played.

Thanks for always having my back.

I love COD, always have. I just have been disappointed thats all. There are a lot of things they did right. And some things that make the game real hard to enjoy.

Linkhero1

Also I'd like to add that I'm on wi-fi, though my 360 is literally a meter away from my modem.

Again, just because you haven't experienced the problem doesn't mean it's non-existent. Many gaffers have expressed their feelings about these issues already.

Look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4

This is not a new phenomenon, and I'm not some newbie who's just complaining about netcode because I'm a sore loser.

Yeah, he's known for being humorous. Someone well known for their skill would be somebody like Sandy Ravage.
Sandy still refuses to play the new games because of the netcode though, right?

FStop7

Banned

It's happening to a lot of people with low latency connections. There are a bunch of posts about it over the past couple of pages.

I think what's happening is that the netcode tries to level the playing field between players with different latencies. And those of us with low latency connections, especially FIOS and other fiber based connections, are getting screwed. The lag compensation is skewed way too far in favor of those with slower connections. I'm guessing it also excessively punishes the host in order to eliminate their advantage.

Last night, i found that I would connect to Mecenary Moshpit without any trouble yet I couldn't get a single TDM match to get past the Match is about to begin/balancing teams messages. PS3 version.

Again, just because you haven't experienced the problem doesn't mean it's non-existent. Many gaffers have expressed their feelings about these issues already.

Where did I implied it was non-existent for everyone? I know it happens to many people, simply by judging from this topic. I've already commented on this. All I'm saying is that those issues are not necessarily happening to everyone. It sucks that it happens to you and a lot of people, but let's not jump to conclusion here.

Look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4

This is not a new phenomenon, and I'm not some newbie who's just complaining about netcode because I'm a sore loser.

What are you trying to prove here? I can also browse youtube and find a video of someone playing the game without having any issue, but I won't do it because it won't prove my point at all, merely that this user didn't experience any issue during the period of time he recorded that video, which would be worthless as an argument for this discussion.

I'm not saying this shit never happened before or never happen right now in Blops II. I'm also not saying you suck at the game, I don't even know why would you bring this to the discussion. All I'm saying is that I do not experience these issues. The game has been pretty god damn good to me so far. Will I experience these issues tomorrow? Or maybe the next TDM game I will play? Maybe, who knows? But so far so good is all I'm saying...

What are you trying to prove here? I can also browse youtube and find a video of someone playing the game without having any issue, but I won't do it because it won't prove my point at all, merely that this user didn't experience any issue during the period of time he recorded that video, which would be worthless as an argument for this discussion.
Eh, did you even open the video I linked? It's not some random guy raging at a laggy game, it's a scientific breakdown of lag compensation made by someone who knows networking technology.

Point is that regardless which side of the lag compensation you're on, you are experiencing it because it's an inavoidable part of the game. I mean, it's not like everyone's on the bad side where your bullets never do damage; some people have to be on the positive side of it and if you're having zero problems with the lag, then you're obviously on the positive side. The lag compensation doesn't just randomly shut itself off when you play.

It's happening to a lot of people with low latency connections. There are a bunch of posts about it over the past couple of pages.

I think what's happening is that the netcode tries to level the playing field between players with different latencies. And those of us with low latency connections, especially FIOS and other fiber based connections, are getting screwed. The lag compensation is skewed way too far in favor of those with slower connections. I'm guessing it also excessively punishes the host in order to eliminate their advantage.

2309918891.png

Even with an optical fiber connection, I do not experience these "lag compensation" issues you guys are all talking about.

*scratches his head*

Ok I guess I'm just one lucky person playing a game with a "terrible" netcode.

Top Bottom