• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Uh, no. The M16 was hilariously better than the other ARs with insane accuracy and easy 1hkos, the P90 was ridiculous and had a sprint bug for ages, and several guns had weird behavior with specific attachments

CoD4 and MW2 are my two favorite cods, but they had just as many issues - don't forget the genius that was Sonic Boom and Frag X3 in CoD4
Lol Bog loadout.

rCIZZLE

I thought I heard someone say they were removing drop shotting from this game? Oh well, almost all people that need it are free kill bads anyways.

Uh, no. The M16 was hilariously better than the other ARs with insane accuracy and easy 1hkos, the P90 was ridiculous and had a sprint bug for ages, and several guns had weird behavior with specific attachments

CoD4 and MW2 are my two favorite cods, but they had just as many issues - don't forget the genius that was Sonic Boom and Frag X3 in CoD4

Fine, I'll give you that the M16 was probably the best AR and P90 was probably the best SMG, but all weapon sets were viable as were most play styles. Also, while those were best in class the other weapons were still very useful and certainly not redundant.

To say there are just as many issues is an incredibly sweeping statement and not one I could agree with at this stage (in regards to COD4, I disliked MW2).

The_Monk

I was suposed to get my copy today but no luck. They did drop by with a package but it was 3 copies for a friend of mine (who ordered way later than me, what?) so I hope tomorrow I can have the game.

But part of me is too afraid of those reports on crashing the PS3. My PS3 only crashed with Beta Demos (no idea why, UC3, MOH, Etc). I hope they can fix this, shame that the weekend may be ruined but oh well.

If there's any update please post it here fellow GAFfers since I don't usually follow twitters and such. Thank you.

Sp33Demon

PS3 version here is just jacked. Most of yesterday, joining a session just kicked me back to Multiplayer home screen with an error. Being a forgiving man I let it slide even though they have had years of practice to get this crap right. Funny thing is my son played without issue all evening yesterday on the downstairs PS3.

This morning, I am able to get in a lobby but the game just sits there shuffling back and forth between "The match is about to begin" and "Need more players to balance teams". Like all COD games, it will probably be fixed and I will play for hundreds of hours but it is clear that Treyarch has no idea what they are doing or just don't really give a shit about PS3 where they will probably sell several million copies in spite of Activision being in bed with MS.

At least League Play has worked without issue.

PS3 version here is just jacked. Most of yesterday, joining a session just kicked me back to Multiplayer home screen with an error. Being a forgiving man I let it slide even though they have had years of practice to get this crap right. Funny thing is my son played without issue all evening yesterday on the downstairs PS3.

This morning, I am able to get in a lobby but the game just sits there shuffling back and forth between "The match is about to begin" and "Need more players to balance teams". Like all COD games, it will probably be fixed and I will play for hundreds of hours but it is clear that Treyarch has no idea what they are doing or just don't really give a shit about PS3 where they will probably sell several million copies in spite of Activision being in bed with MS.

At least League Play has worked without issue.

Although the problem is different it's the same situation as Blops 1 on PS3 at launch. Broken for weeks and some of the patches made it worse. Hopefully it gets resolved so PS3 guys can enjoy it.

cameltoe

I honestly didn't know that. I figured faster Internet will be better. Lol. But for the people that are having lag compensation/hit detection problems.. TRY LEAGUE PLAY. I've been playing it for a couple hours and the hit detection seriously feels like MW2. I originally didn't even want to try League Play but after how smooth it is compared to Public matches.. I'm staying here till then.

It was fine in LP for a bout an hour for me then went to shit again....

HiiiLife

It was fine in LP for a bout an hour for me then went to shit again....

Please don't say that. I'm currently playing it and I'm on a hot streak. Lol. I want it to stay this way! Haha.

This almost did a 180 on my feelings about this game. Definitely the funnest I've had with it since Tuesday. Just the hit detection alone makes me happy. I'm winning gun fights that I should've been winning in Public Matches.

Majanew

Banned
Holy shit the person(s) responsible for the gun sounds should be fired, lol. Never been a fan of the way COD guns have sounded, but this is shit. And that goofy gun bob while sprinting is still there, and still looking goofy as hell.

And I played 1 MP match. Ugh, how is this the #1 game all the time? What. The. Fuck.

cameltoe

Please don't say that. I'm currently playing it and I'm on a hot streak. Lol. I want it to stay this way! Haha.

This almost did a 180 on my feelings about this game. Definitely the funnest I've had with it since Tuesday. Just the hit detection alone makes me happy. I'm winning gun fights that I should've been winning in Public Matches.

Im staying there as well...its better thats for sure. Tueday night the game was flawless, yesterday was a lot of frustration.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I failed the first "defense" mission in the campaign, then I restarted it and had to quit immediately because I had to go somewhere. It looks like that cost me 2 of my 3 fireteams... what does that mean? Did I pretty much screw myself by quitting out immediately from the second attempt which caused a loss of a fireteam?

They don't explain any of this, nor do they warn you that a "fireteam" would be lost if you quit a mission.

I should've known better. When I asked an Activision rep about the spawns during an event, they fed me a line about how they cater to all crowds. The game would be fairly good if I didn't live in constant fear of my ass getting shot up from the horrible spawns.

alterno69

Banned
I should've known better. When I asked an Activision rep about the spawns during an event, they fed me a line about how they cater to all crowds. The game would be fairly good if I didn't live in constant fear of my ass getting shot up from the horrible spawns.
I don't know if it's the spawns as much as the bomberman like maps. There are so many ways to go into every room, no choke point in most of the maps.

I don't know if it's the spawns as much as the bomberman like maps. There are so many ways to go into every room, no choke point in most of the maps.

That doesn't really bother me. More times than not it's people spawning behind me as I move 5 paces forward. I don't camp too often, I'm a run and gunner.

Rainy Dog

It's almost like the COD4 actually underwent a strict design and balancing process rather than ZOMG GUNZ PEWPEWPEWPW.

I'd say the difference was because COD4 was made without the pressure and expectations of the horrible community that has developed since and dragged this franchise down the shitter.

They had no pressure to make the game in a certain way, to force people to play in a particular style, or any whiners to appease. They had complete artistic freedom to just make the game that they wanted to make.

Hopefully Respawn will and will be allowed to go back to the main basics that made COD4 so special... Primarily great balanced gunplay and deceptively simple but timeless, brilliantly designed maps.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is the PS3 service restored yet or can I stop looking forward to getting off of work and finally play this game in two hours?

This game is falling right into the category that all the Treyarch CODs have fallen into for me. Almost every aspect of the game feels just slightly behind the Infinity Ward games.

To be clear, I'm not shitting on Treyarch, and I don't think Infinity Ward is perfect. I just feel Infinity Ward delivers the tighter, more intense experience.

Lots of these differences are small, and nuanced. Like the player movement in BLOPS 2 just feels slightly looser, as does the hit detection. I love the sound of hit markers in MW3, but they're missing in BLOPS2. Sometimes about downing someone in MW3 just feels right, and it feels just slightly less "right" in BLOPS2.

In MW3 the guns sound angry and dangerous, and some even rumble the subwoofer. In BLOPS2 most of the guns sound similar, and have little low end kick. The entire sound design of BLOPS2 is very samey to BLOPS, but with more reverb added. I prefer the sound of silencers in MW3, as well as grenades hitting the ground, flash grenades, etc. It all just sounds right in MW3, and not quite right in BLOPS.

Even the gun models in BLOPS 2 look weaker than MW3. The MP7 looks better in MW3. I can't give a technical breakdown of why, but it just does. Texturing? I don't know. I just know the guns are the star of the show, and they excite me more in Modern Warfare games.

Overall I definitely think BLOPS2 is a step up from BLOPS, and I'm happy about that. I just know the real meal comes for me next year, on the next gen Xbox, with Infinity Ward at the helm again.

alterno69

Banned
I do have o say despite all the problems the game is a lot of fun, i also love that they toned the killstreaks down, that was long overdue.

aristotle

So I failed the first "defense" mission in the campaign, then I restarted it and had to quit immediately because I had to go somewhere. It looks like that cost me 2 of my 3 fireteams... what does that mean? Did I pretty much screw myself by quitting out immediately from the second attempt which caused a loss of a fireteam?

They don't explain any of this, nor do they warn you that a "fireteam" would be lost if you quit a mission.

Yes they do. Read before you hit confirm. It blatantly tells you that you will lose fireteams if you restart or end it. Do what I did and just close the game completely. It doesn't save until the mission is over. You can retry all you want as long as you quit the game if you're doing poorly.

HiiiLife

What modes are in League Play? Can you pick or is it like Mosh Pit or something?

Its mixed. You don't have a say in what mode or map, they'll just throw you in there and you get penalized if you leave.

Yup. The only reason I tried it in the first place was to see how I "ranked" against others. Not only was the competition challenging AND fun but I immiediately noticed the connection was ALOT better. Just got done playing LP for a good 3 hours. Fun stuff. So pretty much, came for my "rank" and stayed for the good connection AND the challenge against other players of similiar level.

Lets just hope when I log on later tonight that I'll have the same luck. Lol. But someone said LP has dedicated servers, so that may be it. The way I see it, I'll sit in a lobby for a couple minutes to play a match I'll enjoy rather than hop in a public match with the quickness and rage.

I appreciate the fact that they've made avoiding the UAV more difficult, but it almost feels like they've gone too far.

I've spent nearly 10 hours playing the multiplayer now, and I STILL haven't unlocked the counter UAV point streak. What gives? It doesn't even make it clear what I have to do to unlock it.

Halcyon

Is the PS3 service restored yet or can I stop looking forward to getting off of work and finally play this game in two hours?

For me I could get to the public core lobby but it would rotate between looking for players and game is about to start every 3 seconds.

So public core doesn't work. However nuke town 2025 works but playing all the random game types on that map makes me angry.

Also the league play works but everything is unlocked and it doesn't effect your level/experience.

Why don't they just put up all of the COD4 and MW2 maps as DLC?
Wouldn't they sell crazy numbers? I know I'd buy 'em immediately.

Call it a Throwback Pack
™
or something.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I appreciate the fact that they've made avoiding the UAV more difficult, but it almost feels like they've gone too far.

I've spent nearly 10 hours playing the multiplayer now, and I STILL haven't unlocked the counter UAV point streak. What gives? It doesn't even make it clear what I have to do to unlock it.

It unlocks to buy at level 33, that's all there is to getting it, all scorestreaks like weapons and equipment are all level based.

It unlocks to buy at level 33, that's all there is to getting it, all scorestreaks like weapons and equipment are all level based.

OK. Thanks. I'm at level 31.

I thought I looked though, and it never told me what I had to do to unlock it. It still seems kinda dumb to make counter UAV that hard to get. Even after you unlock it, you still need to accumulate a point streak to even use it.

I love nerfing ghost, etc, but make the counter UAV available to people. You heave to earn it, AND it only has a temporary effect, unlike ghost.

IMO they should have just had the balls to get rid of ghost forever. Just make counter UAV available at 450 points, and leave it at that.

One thing im actually disappointed in is the emblem customization. Way less varied than BO1 imo.
I was able to make the Rangers and STARS logo though so it isn't horrible.

I miss my Futurama Fry emblem though.

SteveWD40

Botstomp question: Can you play the bot modes solo? No other players / offline? I assume since they lack their own unlock system you use unlocks from MP in them?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why don't they just put up all of the COD4 and MW2 maps as DLC?
Wouldn't they sell crazy numbers? I know I'd buy 'em immediately.

Call it a Throwback Pack
™
or something.

Because that still requires development work and they've probably already planned out 9-12 multiplayer maps and 4-7 zombie maps for this game's DLC.

Top Bottom