• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Pineconn

Try being host on Wii. 360 players allways complain about host advantages, on Wii it's a players worst nightmare becoming host.

Haha, GE Wii was awful as host. MW3 Wii was strange, because at first being host was an advantage, but after the "big patch" Treyarch changed everything to client-side, so the host got screwed again.

So sound effects... (minor detail campaign spoiler)

is there a reason you can hear London-style church bells chiming in Pakistan? Is that a cultural thing that they've adopted that I don't know about, or just a whoopsy on the developer's part?

SteveWD40

Selective Memory much? The P90 had better range, accuracy and RPM than any AR.
At least it's not as idiotic as in BC2, where shotguns were more accurate than Sniper Rifles.

Yes, the P90 was a beast but the others were just as viable if you could adjust to not running around like a kid who skipped his Ritalin.

Jesus the spawns in this game... what on earth? At times it is straight up horrible.

Didn't they go on and on about how they had some new system in place that would fix spawns? Fucking Treyarch, should've spent more time fixing the spawn system and less time nerfing Ghost.

snap0212

After how Black Ops turned out on PS3, I decided to go with the Xbox 360 version for Black Ops 2. Delivery should be here later today. I did pre-order but somehow ended up with the PC version so I had to send it back. Is there any thread where we can share gamertags for BO2 or something? I’ve always played CoD on the PS3 so that’s where most of my friends are and my Xbox friends list contains maybe four people. Thank you guys in advance. :)

In other games, maybe. The "new" netcode in CoD puts severe fucking lag compensation on the host and any sane player does best to avoid it.

You don't know severe lag compensation unless you've been chosen (or damned) becoming host in MW3 Wii. (post patch)

0.2 seconds? Pfft... on Wii you're lucky if the frame allready updated by then.

Imo, the BO2 Zombies mode looks, sounds, and plays almost nearly identical to BO1 and my immediate thought was this new type of Zombie mode could've been DLC for BO1.

I have yet to play Campaign and MP but will soon. What's GAF's overall review so far?

Haha, GE Wii was awful as host. MW3 Wii was strange, because at first being host was an advantage, but after the "big patch" Treyarch changed everything to client-side, so the host got screwed again.

In GE it really depended. If you were matched with regional players, being host was "bearable" and usually gave you slight advantages with certain loadouts (SMGs, Sniper Rifles)
If you were matched with people having shit connections, being host was almost impossible to deal with.

In MW3 the patch really was for the better. As much as it sucks to be host, it was unplayable pre patch. It had worse lag shooting than the first Conduit, rubber banding out the ass and was just technically not a working game.

I simply can't wait to try out 60fps pointer aiming on the WiiU, even if the MP has problems, that still leaves Zombies which I personally prefer anyway.

Kyoufu

Fixed.

Treyarch: "Let's take a load of triangles and rectangles, throw them together and make a abhorrent map that looks like shit"

LOL so true.

But Turbine is so horrendous due to the countless angles you can get shot from. It's not good design at all. I like most of the maps though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So sound effects... (minor detail campaign spoiler)

is there a reason you can hear London-style church bells chiming in Pakistan? Is that a cultural thing that they've adopted that I don't know about, or just a whoopsy on the developer's part?

That level in general feels .. weird .. the guards speak very broken Urdu (local langauge), the area looks nothing like Lahore, Yeah it's 2025, but there's no "identity" to it, it could be any random Russian area from the past Modern Warfare games,

and no the church bells are a developer oversight, unless by 2025 Christianity has become the leading religion in Pakistan.

Even Medal of Honor made this mistake, Pakistanis do NOT speak Arabic or wear Turbans, their Karachi level called out location names accurately, but the depiction of people was inaccurate.

That level in general feels .. weird .. the guards speak very broken Urdu (local langauge), the area looks nothing like Lahore, Yeah it's 2025, but there's no "identity" to it, it could be any random Russian area from the past Modern Warfare games,

and no the church bells are a developer oversight, unless by 2025 Christianity has become the leading religion in Pakistan.

Even Medal of Honor made this mistake, Pakistanis do NOT speak Arabic or wear Turbans, their Karachi level called out location names accurately, but the depiction of people was inaccurate.

Actually yeah, come to mention it didn't we have this same conversation about Medal of Honor and Arabic?

nOoblet16

Actually yeah, come to mention it didn't we have this same conversation about Medal of Honor and Arabic?

I found it funny though, I was trying to make out what the guy was trying to say but couldn't comprehend it at all, even the billboards are fucked up. I guess they thought no one would notice, BF3 did go an extra step and made sure to differentiate between Arabic and Persian eventhough not a whole lot of people would have been able to tell them apart.

Desaan

My connection, for reference:
2308867258.png

Are you? Are you internet?

No, theyre fucking awful. Big difference between how IW does them. Man, ive had enemies spawn literally right in front of me. That never happened to me in MW2 or 3.

Just check ijustines gaming channel and her first youtube BO2 video. The game starts with the counter and there's already one guy in front of her that she sees and the game hasn't even started yet! Literally right beside her. Terrible.

Then you didn't play a lot of MW3 or weren't observant. MW3 had the worst spawns in the series, bar none.

Shadybiz

Disable 1080p output from PS3 display option then.

This did help, thanks! Also the tip about adjusting the brightness seemed to help somewhat, as well.

This constant "Match is about to begin" then "Need more players to balance teams" shit is fucking annoying.

Yeah, I just tried to pop in to do a quick game, got this instead, and had to get off. I would imagine they'll sort that out soon, though. Hopefully by the weekend.

Drazgul

Why would Woods
shoot "Menendez" without visual confirmation that it's really him? Pretty lazy writing if you ask me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if Bootcamp is significantly easier than regular multiplayer? Because I'm actually having quite a bit of fun, people generally work in teams and cover different exits/entry points, and it feels like a more cohesive MP experience. Does this all fall apart once I enter the general MP pool after level 10?

no angel

Is there any way to switch off the theatre mode recording? I remember this helping my connection slightly in the original blops but I can't seem to find the option in blops2.

snap0212

I wish I had Hubble Telescope Internet :(

Waaaaahhhh.
Don't be sad. It really doesn't make a difference for online gaming. When I played on my University's connection (~1,000 mbps), I pretty much got the same result as playing at home (100mbps). I've dealt with a 1mbps connection up until December of last year and have always had a blast playing online. It's the ping that's important. :)

aku:jiki

Is there any way to switch off the theatre mode recording? I remember this helping my connection slightly in the original blops but I can't seem to find the option in blops2.
Theatre is not local, so it wouldn't help anyway. I know, man, I really wanted it to help with the lag so I thought it did for a while too but it just doesn't.

Ensoul

Jesus the spawns in this game... what on earth? At times it is straight up horrible.

They are whack. I played free for all last night for the first time. Four matches and I lost count of how many times this game gift wrapped a kill to the other player by spawning me RIGHT in front of them.

Also how many of you guys are losing gun fights? I have a good internet connection and many times when I die it does not show me shooting in the replay? Are you guys having this same issue?

HiiiLife

Don't be sad. It really doesn't make a difference for online gaming. When I played on my University's connection (~1,000 mbps), I pretty much got the same result as playing at home (100mbps). I've dealt with a 1mbps connection up until December of last year and have always had a blast playing online. It's the ping that's important. :)

I honestly didn't know that. I figured faster Internet will be better. Lol. But for the people that are having lag compensation/hit detection problems.. TRY LEAGUE PLAY. I've been playing it for a couple hours and the hit detection seriously feels like MW2. I originally didn't even want to try League Play but after how smooth it is compared to Public matches.. I'm staying here till then.

RS4-

As an Assault run and gunner I find this game incredibly frustrating and inconsistent.

I came off MW3 with a 3.1 k/d and used the TYPE95 (burst) until I unlocked the MK14 (single shot). These guns would kill in about 1-2 bursts and I could handle myself fine running up close. If I missed a shot I'd be screwed but that was the penalty for using an Assault burst.
In Black Ops 2 it seems it takes at least 3 bursts and you can't kill in time before you get taken out by a SMG user. I've tried taking it slow instead of running around but in situations where I look around a corner and a player is rushing, I'll manage to hit him with 2 bursts before he kills me instantly.
It feels pretty inconsistent as sometimes I'd get the kill but I can never be guaranteed.

Playing with a group of friends I don't think I've ever heard as much 'BUT I SHOT HIM!! BS!' over a game.

The other thing is the change to 'Ghost', making it a level 55 unlock. What a dumb design decision to apparently stop campers.
I would use this combined with silencer to run around and flank players. The moment the enemy UAV is inbound I have to stop running and set up somewhere. The enemy would just wait for me to run into them otherwise.
The fact I can't hide from the UAV now is just another factor to why I'm finding the game frustrating.

Yeah, burst fire is pretty much shit now and I'm not happy with it either. So annoying trying to look for the UAV too. In Ops1 and MW3 it always came from the same general area right?

I'm always on the receiving end of the lunging knife but when I try to do it, even on stationary targets from the back or going prone, it'll miss, and I get the chance to shoot them or more often than not they realize what's happening and stab me instead.

Majanew

Banned
Just picked this up from Redbox to try...playing Campaign and just started the first mission. What's wrong with the audio? The guns sound extremely low. Can barely even hear them, and the entire mix other than dialog is muffled too. WTH? Even tried putting the preset to 'Supercrunch'. Still muffled.

Victrix

*beard*
I honestly didn't know that. I figured faster Internet will be better. Lol. But for the people that are having lag compensation/hit detection problems.. TRY LEAGUE PLAY. I've been playing it for a couple hours and the hit detection seriously feels like MW2. I originally didn't even want to try League Play but after how smooth it is compared to Public matches.. I'm staying here till then.

iirc league play uses dedicated servers, so that makes sense

The P90 only had better RPM than any AR. The M4 had better accuracy, and all the others AR had better range.

Link.

Still the most balanced set of weapons in the series with near perfect variety and barely any redundent filler.

It's almost like the COD4 actually underwent a strict design and balancing process rather than ZOMG GUNZ PEWPEWPEWPW.

Victrix

*beard*
It's almost like the COD4 actually underwent a strict design and balancing process rather than ZOMG GUNZ PEWPEWPEWPW.

Uh, no. The M16 was hilariously better than the other ARs with insane accuracy and easy 1hkos, the P90 was ridiculous and had a sprint bug for ages, and several guns had weird behavior with specific attachments

CoD4 and MW2 are my two favorite cods, but they had just as many issues - don't forget the genius that was Sonic Boom and Frag X3 in CoD4

HiiiLife

... so, what is league play exactly? Been only playing stupid core tdm (with a pinch of kill confirmed and a zest of nuketown mosh pit).

Honestly the best I can describe it is that it is similiar to Halo 3's ranking system. You play five matches and they'll calculate what division you go into. And from then on you'll play against people on your skill level (with a few other new players "trying out" for their own division as well). The more wins/better you do, the higher the division you'll be placed in. Currently I'm in Platinum. And I'm about to placed in the Master division. They have a variety of playlists. It's Moshpit in League Play. But I came for the good hit detection and awesome connection. I hope it stays this way. Maybe cause League Play has low traffic is why the connection is good? I'm not sure, but I'm LOVING it.

Top Bottom