• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts online multiplayer discussion thread

Victrix

*beard*
Health is the same its always been. Weapons are too, it's just the netcode isn't utter garbage like MW3/BO2 were at launch, so people actually die when you shoot them :p

SmokeMaxX

I'm pretty terrible at this game. what are the best guns / perks to start off with when playing or being new/awful?
MSBS is probably the best gun right now. I'd recommend the following perks although YMMV on which you'll personally like: Invisible on SATCOM one (costs 3), Dead Silence (Costs 2), Amplify (Costs 2), Hardline (Costs 2), SATCOM Hacker one (Costs 3). Some people like Quick Draw, faster health regen one, and Sleight of Hand.
They MAY have lowered it slightly, but if that guy thinks it's the same as BO2 hardcore, he didn't play much BO2 hardcore. BO2 hardcore was 2 bullets for any gun at any range I think. In Ghosts no automatic weapons take 2, and they can take up to 5 or 6 at long range.
I think the stat gurus have confirmed that it's normal damage. Just the netcode affects how people feel about it. If you think health is super low in this game, run around with a silenced SMG. I started off with one of those and thought that either health was too high or damage was too low. It took literally 6 bullets to kill when I was getting dropped in 2-3.

Victrix

*beard*
This is incredibly confusing, so in case you didn't know:

Operations

When you go into the Operations menu you can hit A on any of the 5 categories to look at the full list of operations available to you at that time. ANY of the active ones in those lists can be completed, even if you aren't tracking them

Pressing X spends a Squad Point and reshuffles all available operations except for currently selected operations with progress in them.

Completing more than one Operation highlights the 'Operations Completed' Squad Point rewards in the bottom right of that screen.

Here's the confusing part - you don't actually earn those points until you reset for new Operations. So the rewards are 2/3/4/5, but you have to spend a SP to reset them, so you actually earn 1/2/3/4 SP when you reset. Yeah. Makes no sense to me either.

So, fastest way to earn SP is to cherry pick easy operations from your list, knock out 5, then pick the next 5 most completed operations in each category, set those as your current, and reshuffle the list. This earns you SP, keeps some partially completed ones active, and gives you another list of ops to draw from. Cherry pick, repeat, profit.

prag16

Banned
I think the stat gurus have confirmed that it's normal damage. Just the netcode affects how people feel about it.

I think this is probably right. The hit detection is just so much better in Ghosts than BO2 it's not even funny. The difference is drastic.

Victrix

*beard*
Killcams are not, and have not ever been a good indicator of what really happened during a death in any CoD :p

Also its silly to hyper-analyze the difference between dying in 1/10th of a second and 3/10ths of a second - you're dead either way.

Bigger maps, better netcode, these two things mean running around like an idiot is going to be heavily punished - you're going to die to MSBS single shot bursts, two hit MR kills, single shot sniper kills, and plenty of regular AR 3sk deaths at medium range.

The sweet BO2 style ambushes where you start shooting at a guy from behind and he turns and kills you are gone and I'm not the least bit sorry to see that go.

komaruR

I'm dying to play this, but I'm waiting for the PS4 version (and since I'm 99% sure I'm getting a PS4 for Christmas I have to suck it up and wait). I saw they nerfed shotguns, what about quickscoping? Also, I thought Treyarch tried to do something dropshotting, where while going prone your bullet spread was >= hipfire even if you're ADS. How does dropshotting feel in Ghosts?
Get the ps3 ver. If u got a ps3. The retail copy has a code inside that u could redeem a digital ps4 ver for 10$.
I got my game from newegg with promo 10$ gc. Which somwhat total 50$. But if I redeem it ps4 too, then I basically spent 60$ for ps3 and ps4 ver.

between 360 and PC (2013 27-inch iMac with Windows 8.1 bootcamp), which version should I get? I'm not going to follow my friends this time because everyone is between all of the different consoles because of next gen. I don't plan on getting a next gen console for at least a year btw.

is the PC version based on the next gen versions?

Victrix

*beard*
The thought of better hit detection is making me want to play this SO bad.

It's sort of sad but it's not really better so much as 'no longer shitty'. It feels a lot like MW2 did.

I don't know if theater mode was the culprit overall, but from BO to MW3 to BO2, they all had connectivity issues.

There's still lag of course, but the overall experience is just better - I can't recall anyone in my play group raging about shitty lag deaths this week, and I was hearing them all night long day 1 in BO2.

Also I'm deeply amused at people complaining about the maps being too big. Death to BO2 3 lane arena size maps.

Victrix

*beard*
when your moving is it best to always be running?

In the open yes, around corners, no.

A sort of funny truism is that Marathon is one of the worst perks in the game in terms of teaching you bad playing habits and always has been that way.

Try playing a few games where you don't run around the map, your k/d pretty much always goes up when you slow down.

cresto

It's sort of sad but it's not really better so much as 'no longer shitty'. It feels a lot like MW2 did.

I don't know if theater mode was the culprit overall, but from BO to MW3 to BO2, they all had connectivity issues.

There's still lag of course, but the overall experience is just better - I can't recall anyone in my play group raging about shitty lag deaths this week, and I was hearing them all night long day 1 in BO2.

Also I'm deeply amused at people complaining about the maps being too big. Death to BO2 3 lane arena size maps.

Insta-death is still very much there. I have had countless times when it feels like I am killed in a split second and only get one red hit marker. I wish you could tell there are servers. They even took out the 4 bar system of measurement for ping in the scoreboard so you have no idea what kind of connection you are having. This is a big deal to me because I want to know if I am playing against an even team in terms of connection. Anyone know why this was removed?

Fistwell

Killcams are not, and have not ever been a good indicator of what really happened during a death in any CoD :p
It's a concrete way to assess latency and (to some extent) the manner in which it's being compensated by lag comp. If there's a large discrepancy (I've had cases in which I heard 2 shots fired at me while the killcam showed 8), something is very wrong.

In ghost, so long as you get the drop on someone, you win. By the time your presence registers within the other guy's screen, he's done for. And it does make a hell of a difference. If I hear the shots right away, in some cases (in games with non-shit netcode) I can try to round a corner and save my ass. Here, In the 4 or 5 hours I've played, if it's at close to middle range and the guy starts shooting before I've seen him on my screen, I have zero chance. I am not provided a chance to react before it's too late.

It's not so much a shooting game as it is a flanking simulator. You flank, you win.

Caffeine

i honestly dont think the hit detection is better. I just played mw2 to compare it does feel different.

I think im just gonna wait for some patches to roll out.

Nokterian

Well i am fed up all ready with this game such a horrible port from IW. I am going back to Black Ops 2 since that game works like intented and Treyarch still gives a damn about pc gamers.

Omega

Banned
PC version here. I'm still having freezing problems. My friends, with much less capable PCs than mine do not have this problem so it can't just be the game.

I've tried "mini fixes" like appearing offline (TotalBiscuit in his WTF said it helps) and while it did help a little, I would still end up freezing after 1 or 2 games.

Anyone have any other tips to try and fix this? A friend bought it for me because he wanted someone to play with so I'd like to actually play with him. as of right now he just wasted $60 because this game refuses to let me play more than two matches a day.

bigf00t

Played some good games on PC with SuperJoe from the GAF steam group last night. The game is a lot better with even one other person, especially for objective game modes.

By the way, has anyone had any issues with logging into Elite with their steam account linked? Trying to go to this page https://elite.callofduty.com/account/status/platform/steam always results in a redirect error for me, so I can't see my stats or anything. Not sure how to fix it.

DRE Fei

It's not so much that the hit detection is amazing, it's just not complete garbage like the last three CODs.

It could be due to the removal of theater mode, or maybe it's the dedicated servers but I'm not sure. I turned off theater mode in MW3 and the game still had shitty hit detection/lag just like BLOPS 1 and BLOPS 2. Fuck those games.

When you shoot someone in this, the bullets actually register. That's why everyone is complaining about dying so fast. As a result, the players are scared to run around the map and have resorted to camping so they don't get fucked by actual useful guns/the spawn system.

I'm ok with big maps, but a lot of the maps have tons of great hiding spots in them with head glitches. This makes it dangerous to go anywhere and slows down the pace considerably in TDM or even kill confirmed. I suggest everyone play cranked if you want to speed things up.

Fantasmo

gg's Bigf00t!

We need 2 more Steam players, let's get a Team Tactical / clan team going people. (heck if we can get 6, then we'd have a full squad for most game types).

Headset/Steam voice chat is the way to roll. Makes it much easier to communicate.

BigShow36

I think this is probably right. The hit detection is just so much better in Ghosts than BO2 it's not even funny. The difference is drastic.

I think it's just as bad. It's most noticeable with the marksman rifles, as there have been plenty of times where my bullets simply don't register despite seemingly perfect aim. It seems to me like the way they count damage is different in the lag compensation. It feels like in earlier games, you only took damage when your box actually registered the hits, in Ghosts, it seems like the damage from the host side all gets applied as soon as your box detects the first hit, which is why it feels like I die in one hit so many times from ARs and SMGs.

There are also plenty of times where an enemy rounds a corner, I clearly am shooting him first on my screen but then I die and the killcam shows him coming around the corner, me not shooting him for a few seconds, and then him lighting me up.

prag16

Banned
It's a concrete way to assess latency and (to some extent) the manner in which it's being compensated by lag comp. If there's a large discrepancy (I've had cases in which I heard 2 shots fired at me while the killcam showed 8), something is very wrong.

In ghost, so long as you get the drop on someone, you win. By the time your presence registers within the other guy's screen, he's done for. And it does make a hell of a difference. If I hear the shots right away, in some cases (in games with non-shit netcode) I can try to round a corner and save my ass. Here, In the 4 or 5 hours I've played, if it's at close to middle range and the guy starts shooting before I've seen him on my screen, I have zero chance. I am not provided a chance to react before it's too late.

It's not so much a shooting game as it is a flanking simulator. You flank, you win.

Yeah, the killcams lie, but you can definitely use them to find out if there's a big discrepancy.

In BO2, those situations where I'd hear two shots and die immediately (with the killcam showing 8-12) were more the rule than the exception much of the time.

In Ghosts, it still happens, but it's now the exception (only certain situations, certain lobbies, etc. instead of MOST situations and MOST lobbies).

+1 for flanking. I need to learn these maps. And remember not to play hardcore mode. In BO2 it didn't seem so bad, and I played it a lot due to the bad hit detection (felt like I at least had a chance to kill something). But in Ghosts, forget it. NEVER seen such camping in my life. Never.

I think it's just as bad. It's most noticeable with the marksman rifles, as there have been plenty of times where my bullets simply don't register despite seemingly perfect aim. It seems to me like the way they count damage is different in the lag compensation. It feels like in earlier games, you only took damage when your box actually registered the hits, in Ghosts, it seems like the damage from the host side all gets applied as soon as your box detects the first hit, which is why it feels like I die in one hit so many times from ARs and SMGs.

There are also plenty of times where an enemy rounds a corner, I clearly am shooting him first on my screen but then I die and the killcam shows him coming around the corner, me not shooting him for a few seconds, and then him lighting me up.

Well, that hasn't been my experience. Those situations in your last paragraph absolutely do happen in Ghosts as I said above. However for me, in BO2 it happened WAY more. Like at least an order of magnitude more, easy.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
BLOPS 1 is the second best COD behind COD4 IMO. The ONLY issue the game had (at least on consoles) was hit detection. Old IW was clearly better at that. But the maps, gunplay, flow, etc, simply 'got it'. BLOPS2 tried to cater to a different crowd.

sickening.

Yeah I have BLOPS 1 and I played it a bit over the past few days. Still really fun, but there isn't much of a community left in that game. I do agree that it is the best COD after COD4 (which I also still own).

BigShow36

Well, that hasn't been my experience. Those situations in your last paragraph absolutely do happen in Ghosts as I said above. However for me, in BO2 it happened WAY more. Like at least an order of magnitude more, easy.

Like I said, it's really only noticeable when I use one of the Marksman rifles. I'm not sure if it's unique to that weapon class of if the single-shot simply makes it noticeable.

Apenheul

I think I'll just wait until the game's patched. I understand from a number of posts that most maps don't really work well in FFA/TDM modes, are they better with objective-based modes?

teokrazia

Just crashed, in the middle of a game, while I was riding a glorious 22-2.
Still no words from IW about fixing this shameful broken crap?

Jarmel

Banned
BLOPS 1 is the second best COD behind COD4 IMO. The ONLY issue the game had (at least on consoles) was hit detection. Old IW was clearly better at that. But the maps, gunplay, flow, etc, simply 'got it'. BLOPS2 tried to cater to a different crowd.

sickening.

My man. This is the correct answer. BLOPS 1 was the true successor to COD 4. The rest are a faster spinoff version of which MW2 was the best version.

cresto

The best COD maps were Dawnville and Carentan.

Seriously? Dawnville? You must be a sniper. I remember playing CODv competitive matches on the PC on Dawnville and it was so damn slow because of the snipers.

I've hated COD DLC (yet I buy it...someone slap me) for rehasing maps as far back as the original call of duty. How much they lack creativity bugs me.

This is incredibly confusing, so in case you didn't know:

Operations

When you go into the Operations menu you can hit A on any of the 5 categories to look at the full list of operations available to you at that time. ANY of the active ones in those lists can be completed, even if you aren't tracking them

Pressing X spends a Squad Point and reshuffles all available operations except for currently selected operations with progress in them.

Completing more than one Operation highlights the 'Operations Completed' Squad Point rewards in the bottom right of that screen.

Here's the confusing part - you don't actually earn those points until you reset for new Operations. So the rewards are 2/3/4/5, but you have to spend a SP to reset them, so you actually earn 1/2/3/4 SP when you reset. Yeah. Makes no sense to me either.

So, fastest way to earn SP is to cherry pick easy operations from your list, knock out 5, then pick the next 5 most completed operations in each category, set those as your current, and reshuffle the list. This earns you SP, keeps some partially completed ones active, and gives you another list of ops to draw from. Cherry pick, repeat, profit.

Wow, this is idiotic and confusing. Thank you for clarifying this, what I'm seeing makes WAY more sense now.

Seriously? Dawnville? You must be a sniper. I remember playing CODv competitive matches on the PC on Dawnville and it was so damn slow because of the snipers.

I've hated COD DLC (yet I buy it...someone slap me) for rehasing maps as far back as the original call of duty. How much they lack creativity bugs me.

Not a sniper, I was actually using MGs (mp44 and Thompson) when I competed. I loved how it was a slow push into the bases but you could easily transition to another route if you ran into a dead end. It was also a lot of fun to mess around with a kar98 in pubs.

USD

I think I'm finally starting to get back into the swing of things. I haven't played COD since the first Black Ops, though that's really not that long, it took a bit to feel comfortable again.

As far as things I like, I love the marksman rifle weapon class. In previous COD games I always favored the semi-automatic assault rifles. My favorite gun has to be the M14 from Modern Warfare for its high damage, including the ability to one-shot kill (with Stopping Power), and its high kick, oddly enough. But in the COD games I played, the selection was always limited to a gun or two. Now there's an actual class.

That said, I've only been using the MK14 EBR (unsurprisingly!) which coincidentally seems to be the best of them numbers-wise (longest max damage range). It does feel so good getting that PING! from a single well-placed shot.

I do like the ability to forgo pieces of equipment for extra perk slots, I've always been a perk person. Though with how perks are broken up in this game, it feels like you have to give up at least one piece of equipment to get decent perk selection.

As for the annoying things, the spawn system being a nuisance is an expectation for COD at this point. With the maps being relatively circular and with no forced re-spawn delay (in TDM), it's bound to happen.

Not a fan of the unlock system. It's nice that you can use squad points to unlock perks and weapons when you want, but the overall system it seems too restrictive. I get what they're going for with the Create A Soldier thing, but since I only play with a few loadouts, it's not very useful for me. And why is it that certain hair colors/skin tones are unlocks? That one just makes me laugh and shake my head at the same time.

Overall, it's Call of Duty, pretty much.

Top Bottom