• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Wii |OT| Patch #3 is now live!

fernoca

Disclaimer: There's a separate thread [OT] focused (mostly) on all versions. But the Wii version is slightly different and will also receive patches differently too.
Aside the fact that there are barely to no impressions and screenshots about it, it would be better for those with (and interested in) the Wii version to have a place to check out for impressions and updates regarding this specific version.

This is a work-in-progress, so updates and more information, along media will be added as it's released.​

DV41W.png

fjD2M.png

iRO3V.png
  • Chuck: 4294-9983-2762
  • insin: 2065-8552-9873
  • Boerseun: 1572-9182-6682
  • boris feinbrand: 3833-5899-3736
  • Disguises:  0056-3931-7211
  • luoapp: 5222-4676-0826
  • Mr. Robot: 4937-0934-8088
  • Plexirvones: 1304-2997-2366
  • Bryan1321: 4627-8396-7171
  • HisshouBuraiKen: 3616-8734-1791
  • clemenx: 4653-0972-4589
  • rpmurphy: 0433-5917-1667

ZYmFx.png

The game will prompt you to download the update when you start Multiplayer once it is available. If you are already running the game at this time, switch to Single Player and restart Multiplayer to get it. The update cannot be downloaded from Spec Ops, and you will be prompted to switch over to Multiplayer in order to access it.

Please continue to check the forums for updates. Any further issues identified for fixing will be updated to this space in the future.

Official Forums

NOTES:
  • Patch #3 (at the moment) locks out of Public Matches; people with modded/hacked games (so no more hacked lobbies...again, at the moment).
  • As of February 16, 2012; the overall size of the patches is: 48 Blocks. So make sure to have at least that many blocks. (On the Wii per se it takes less -46 Blocks-)
  • If you've downloaded all patches, only the most recent patch will be downloaded (i.e. don't need to download all 48 Blocks again).

Hotfix #2: February 24, 2012:
(No download necessary)
  • Fixes the reported "Profile Overwrite" glitch.

Patch #3: February 16, 2012
(Size: 2 Blocks)
Updated from V.118.5.2 to V.130.5
  • Improved the ability of AI-controlled killstreaks to track and shoot targets
  • Fixed several map escapes and exploits – notably in Outpost and Seatown
  • Implemented various weapon balance changes that affect the shotgun/grenade launcher attachments for assault rifles, the FMG9, akimbo weapons, shotguns, the Type 95, the ACR, Semtex, and silenced sniper rifles.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the Pavelow killstreak to not be damaged or destroyed with lock-on missiles
  • Fixed an exploit that allowed players to purchase items with Prestige tokens they had not earned
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to call multiple MOAB strikes with a short period of time
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to assign weapon proficiencies to weapons that should not be able to have them.
  • Fixed an issue where players reported that certain air support units could not be shot down in the Free-For-All game mode.
  • Fixed excessive cooldown time on sentry turrets
  • Fixed objects that can be placed not appearing red when they are in an invalid placement position immediately as they are pulled out
  • Fixed an issue that caused the laptop to get stuck on screen when a player’s Assault Drone was destroyed immediately after placement
  • Improved performance when multiple headsets are in use
  • Fixed several low frequency crashes
  • Implemented several miscellaneous performance optimization

Hotfix #1: December 2, 2011:
(No download necessary)
Updated from V.118.4.2 to V.118.4.4
Multiplayer (fixed exploits in the following maps):
  • Outpost
  • Village
  • Downturn

Patch #2: November 30, 2011:
(Size: 6 Blocks)
Updated from V.114.2 to V.118.4.2
Major Fixes:
  • Multiplayer (MP) - Major optimzation work to improve host frame-rate issues ("host-lag")
  • Spec Ops - Major optimization improvement to help with reports of spec ops "rubberbanding/lag"
  • Session Host Migration Fixes
  • Added "Add Friend" option in the MP shell when selecting a player's playercard

Other Fixes:
  • Fix for crosshairs always going to the center of the screen when scoping in if "Control Stick" was selected for scope aiming
  • Exploits Reported in MP map "Outpost"
  • Fix for Proposal list only displaying first 8 proposals in the list.
  • IK Settings for clients were disabled whenever the host mantled through certain windows.
  • Fix for Stinger not locking onto UAVs when using the Wii Remote.
  • The GIGN SMG character would disappear when looking at him from a short distance.
  • Fix for M.O.A.B. locking out user's gun but still allow ability to pull out the radio.
  • The "Mission Select" menu would remain locked if a player launched a Single Player "Campaign" after creating the profile in the "Multiplayer" Shell.
  • Fix for player having no secondary weapon after turning off the Overkill Pro perk.
  • Spec Ops - Fix for the accuracy total on the end of match screen not always equaling what the player should have received
  • Fixed missing bomber emblem during gameplay
  • Fix where after a player exits the remote tank, their character would pop out of sight for a brief period of time.
  • Fix for when player was able to mantle the sentry gun
  • Fix for when player could not pickup flag when placed on a turret
  • Fix for reports of players experiencing a freeze while a Remote Sentry is active in a Private FFA match
  • Fix for when emptying the clip of a SCAR-L with the Heartbeat Sensor and the Hybrid Sight in the short range position would cause the player to be unable to reload until they put the sight in the long range position
  • Fix for message stating weapon rank had increased when it hadn't
  • Fix for some imcomplete or incorrect playlist descriptions
  • Fix for "Assist" message not appearing in private matches
  • Several minor player collision issues fixed
  • Various stability improvements

Patch #1: November 17, 2011:
(Size: 40 Blocks)
Updated from V.0.1 to V.114.2
Posted an update that should address the two most reported issues reported by the community:

• Players are experiencing an issue commonly referred to as “lag shooting” where network lag will cause the player to have difficulty hitting an opponent.
  • Several players have reported their save data getting corrupted when the game freezes.

YZ0E4.png

Gameplay videos by MiniDitka from NeoGAF

General videos:
(thanks to 'rpmurphy' and 'Alextended' for providing the links to most, if not all the videos so far)​

Streams:
(Live footage/activity varies)​

iC0NB0Y
  • YouTube Channel: with new MW3-Wii videos and from the Wii versions of Black Ops and Modern Warfare Reflex.

1EUSb.png

Videos by MiniDitka from NeoGAF

Act I​

Act II​

Act III​

TTiSg.png

Campaign:
  • At the beginning you're warned about possible offensive content in the campaign.
  • You're given the option to be asked later to skip it, or not minding and not been asked again.
  • 16 chapters, divided across 3 acts.
  • A few segments that are realtime (and you can play for a few moments and control the camera) in the other "HD" versions, are pre-recorded movies in this version.
  • Just one save-slot, which can't be copied/moved; since it's shared with the online/multiplayer data.
  • Overall visuals are improved over Black Ops:
    • Better lighting
    • Better looking textures
    • Better visuals effects
  • But, probably because of this some aspects are less stable:
    • Framerate while usually stable, sometimes drops when the action gets hectic
    • Darker areas with few light sources, can look even darker unless you manually adjust the brightness of the set
    • Some clipping (models, textures going through other models/textures)
    • Some pop-in (stuff appears/disappears depending on the distance)
    • Though the problems are usually on big parts with lots of action.

Multiplayer:
  • No need to exchange friend codes. You can send "ally requests" in-game.
  • No killcam
  • No Predator Missile, Reaper, AC130, Osprey Gunner, and Recon Drone killstreaks
  • 16 maps (see end of post)
  • Tags and Emblems
  • Any name you want to use (same name as your 'Profile')
  • Can send 'Ally Requests' to others (others need you "ally number" to send you one, can't send it by name)
  • Lag problems were fixed with the Nov. 17 patch.
  • Host lag problems were fixed in the Nov. 30 patch.
  • GAF-Ally Codes are added at the end of the main post. If you add someone (and have an account here), send a private message also to let the person know.

Spec-Ops:
  • Survival: Survive waves after waves of enemies
  • Solo (1 player), Online co-op (2 players)
  • Unlock rewards by killing enemies, maintaining killstreaks, survive through multiple waves
  • Rewards includes tags, emblems, weapons, support packages
  • 16 maps from 'Multiplayer'

5vzAz.png

• Can't adjust sensitivity/controllers with the same numbers from Black Ops and Modern Warfare Reflex. So, you need to adjust them all over.
  • Can add a 'tag' and 'emblem' to your online-profile.

D1UGq.png

(click each username for more detailed information)
From Freezie KO:
  • No longer reference numbers to customize controls, but a reference bar only.
  • No Predator Strike, AC-130, Osprey Gunner for the Assault Package.
  • No Recon Drone for the Support.
  • The AI-controlled Osprey in the Support Package is in the game.
  • There are tags and emblems this time.
  • "Ally System" lets you sent request to players.
  • The game modes now tell you how many players are online
  • Also how many available players are in each game mode
  • No longer can spin around really fast in mid-air (until you hit the ground)
  • On Seatown, you can't kill the chickens.

GzhKO.png

Official 'Headbanger Headset', by PDP
ZAJPS.png

-MSRP: $24.99
-Also available in: White (Nintendo/Wii logo) and Black Ops Edition (black)​
Features:
  • Officially licensed Nintendo product
  • Noice-cancelling microphone
  • Simple clip design
  • Mute button and volume control integrated into earpiece
  • LED indicators for system live and mute functions
  • Adjustable, flexible microphone boom
  • USB connection plugs quickly and easily into your Wii console
  • 10ft (3m) cable

Z7B0K.png

(Screencaps taken by 'MiniDitka')
[Click for slightly larger pictures -720 x 480-]

(Taken from 'MiniDitka's' gameplay videos)
[Click for slightly larger pictures -853 x 480-]

2wh2f.png

Vrv64.png

NndvR.png

Modern Warfare 3 picks up right were Modern Warfare 2 ended. What's the problem? The Wii never got Modern Warfare 2 (only the first one as 'Modern Warfare Reflex').
So story wise, Wii-only players might be a little lost as to why MW3 starts; the way it does. Here's a quick recap of what happened in that game, leading to the beginning of Modern Warfare 3:

(Note: is an image file, to avoid cluttler an long-lines to the right; also to make it easier to read. Also to leave more characters for future updates, impressions, etc.)​
GgExX.png

JamAI.png

[originally from allgame.com]
CeYhI.png

P1t56.png

dQRwk.png

pramath

Banned
Yay!
Who's buying this?
I liked Black Ops on the Wii.

Btw, won't having only Parts 1 and 3 of the story on the console make things excessively weird?

fabprems

I'm in, but the game will be out on the 30th of november here, so I'll start by reading your impressions... :/

DAMN YOU ACTIVISION !

Ydahs

confused said:
This really didn't fit in the other MW3 for Wii thread ?? We really need 5 MW3 thread on the frontpage ?
I think since the only way we're going to get impressions is from the community, a separate OT is a good idea since it doesn't get drowned with all the HD version talk.

confused

Banned
Ydahs said:
I think since the only way we're going to get impressions is from the community, a separate OT is a good idea since it doesn't get drowned with all the HD version talk.

But there was already a MW3 wii thread......

Cyntec

Why don't they release a MW3-themed pixelated side-scrolling Shmup on Wii instead of the bad looking FPS? I don't get it ...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
confused said:
But there was already a MW3 wii thread......
There was a thread from August about the game being announced for Wii. Are you telling me there were no threads for the other versions before the |OT| was made?

confused

Banned
Alextended said:
There was a thread from August about the game being announced for Wii. Are you telling me there were no threads for the other versions before the |OT| was made?

That thread was still active all this week, and this is not an OT, it's a discussion thread. This same discussion could have taken place in the other thread.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
confused said:
That thread was still active all this week, and this is not an OT, it's a discussion thread. This same discussion could have taken place in the other thread.
This is a discussion thread to keep everything about the Wii version in one place now that the game's launching and won't likely have new threads, much like an OT. That was a thread about the announcement of the Wii version. New thread for new stuff. Whining because it's got this title and aim instead of something like "first MW3 Wii media" which would qualify as "new thread for new stuff" yet also limit the scope of the thread is silly when the content is the same but whatever, waste your time how you see fit.

Another stream went up. It's a little blurry but this one has better frame rate than the first pos.
http://www.justin.tv/zodiacsmash#/w/2035079280

Disguises

In reply to FreezieKO in the old thread:
Freezie KO said:
No mention of DLC in the manual.

Also, I'm entering my East Coast clan members who already put up their numbers into my Ally list. And once entered, it says "Ally Request Sent". Could this be a one way request system for friends?! So only one person has to enter in a friend code?
It was set up this way for Black Ops too. Definitely great news.

Also, no mention of DLC in the manual is a bit annoying, but probably for the best, especially since failing to deliver any Black Ops DLC and the fan uproar about that.

pramath said:
Yay!
Who's buying this?
I liked Black Ops on the Wii.

Btw, won't having only Parts 1 and 3 of the story on the console make things excessively weird?
Totally getting this on the weekend.

I doubt Wii will ever get MW2 now, since Activision seem to be bringing the games out on Wii at the same time now.
jediyoshi said:
This the first Wii COD with proper controller support?
Nope, all of them had pointer controls. If you mean inferior classic controller support, then still no. Black ops already had this.

rpmurphy

So far, known differences from other versions:
- No killcam
- No Predator Missile, Reaper, AC130, Osprey Gunner, and Recon Drone killstreaks

CozMick

Banned
I watched the multiplayer gameplay footage from the previous thread and I must say Treyarch did an absolutely fantastic job.

fernoca

Awesome, added them. Keep 'em coming guys! :p
Though is 5:40AM so I'll be leaving soon to sleep, but will update when I return.

Okay, so...

Controls: For whatever reason, the game decided to use a different measurement system for your controls than MW:R and Black Ops. You still customize each bar, but there are no reference numbers like the previous games.

It's a bit of a hassle, but if you're "importing" your old controls like I did from a written sheet of paper, then expect to still have to test things out. I'm not sure, but I think the only one that's a bit different is "Camera Speed," which customizes turning speed when your cursor reaches the edge of the bounding box. I set this to a certain level, and it just feels a little different than my Blops controls. I have to play with it some more.

Killstreaks:

No Predator Strike, AC-130, Osprey Gunner for the Assault Package. No Recon Drone for the Support. Again, nothing that requires the Wii's paltry amount of RAM to render the entire map at once. I was hoping for a Predator Strike that targeted from an overhead map that looked like an enlarged Blackbird mini-map, but no go. Please note that the AI-controlled Osprey in the Support Package IS in the game.

Tags and Emblems:

They're in.

Ally System:

I was entering in some Allies, and to my surprise, the game said "Ally Request Sent." This probably means that entering in Allies' Friend Codes now works how it did in random lobbies. It probably only requires one person to enter the code and the other to accept. That'd be a nice change.

Game Modes:

The game modes now tell you how many players are online, and how many available players are in each game mode.

Oddity:

This is a strange one, but I noticed that when running and jumping, if you whip your cursor all the way to the side of the screen, the game no longer behaves like Blops. It used to allow you to spin around really fast in mid-air and was a good way to spin around corners.

Now, when running and jumping, you can't turn around quickly until you almost hit the ground. Not sure if this is a Wii-only thing or just a difference between Blops and MW3. It's not good or bad. It just is worth noting.

EYE - 4443-0922-8899

Oh yeah, and this may be a dealbreaker for some of you, but it appears that, at least on Seatown, you can't kill the chickens.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Freezie KO said:
Oh yeah, and this may be a dealbreaker for some of you, but it appears that, at least on Seatown, you can't kill the chickens.

Peter Griffin am disappointed.

fernoca

Nice! Added Freezie's stuff to the main post!

Still experimenting with formatting and look, so things might change and moved around.

Returning later, so will continue with updates then.

Apenheul

I've got some questions before double-dipping:

- Is spec ops survival mode in?
- Is 10 players the limit for each multiplayer map? And are the maps the same size as the PC version?

fernoca said:
Nice! Added Freezie's stuff to the main post!

Still experimenting with formatting and look, so things might change and moved around.

Returning later, so will continue with updates then.

Great job w/ the thread. I'm off to sleep. Tomorrow, I should be putting some hours into this game, so I'll return with more impressions.

MiniDitka

fabprems said:
The SP and the MP feels like 2 different games... And why the SP is so dark, I can't see shit !
I need to adjust the brightness on my monitor which I'll do before I start my walkthrough vids.

Effect

MiniDitka said:
I need to adjust the brightness on my monitor which I'll do before I start my walkthrough vids.

Okay. Was about to comment about the darkness as well. Was generally hard to see anything. The amount of detail, or lack of it is about as much as I expected due to the downport nature. Overall the footage seems more Modern Warfare Reflex than Black Ops in look. Which makes sense I guess since IW does it's art differently. Their textures seem more detailed up close and still (which I preferred initially but as I played BO more that changed) but look off in motion I feel. First impressions I think Black Ops looks better but this is me just seeing video and not seeing the footage on my own screen.

Not winning any awards though graphically but that's obvious, especially compared to a LOT of Wii games but is the norm with CoD on Wii, but Treyarch seems to have kept in what matters gameplay wise. Don't feel bad about not getting the game though, any version. Here's hoping it goes well all the same but I think I'm bowing out at this point and won't be getting the game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Luigiv said:
I think the guy in your avatar is more disappointed.

It would have been too obvious to say.
Instead, I went with something else.
I win, accept it.

XD

PetrCobra

Looks fantastic from the videos, but LOL @ the guy playing with CC trying to aim with no aim assist

Interesting that this COD gets its own Headbanger headset, is it any different from the BLOPS one?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Well will wait and see about review
I am getting this for the Wii and BF3 for the 360 think that will sory it out or I will jsut buy Mw3 , I came to the conclusion a long long time ago I buy too many games, I need to cut down...why I am posting that in this thread I dunno... awoo

The words "lag shooting" literally made my heart sink. That shit was so frustrating on WaWii and Reflex, the client-side detection in Blops was a godsend. I really hope it's either patched out or doesn't actually exist in the game and it was something funky (haven't watched the video yet)

Ugh, lag shooting? Really, again? You can tell by watching that video that it's taking the player far more shots to kill an enemy than you'd see in a PS360 video.

EDarkness

I generally pick up all Wii versions of Call of Duty, but I won't be able to get this one until probably next month due to not having a lot of extra cash. I hope it turns out good, since I enjoyed the previous versions. Sounds like the shooting might be an issue, and let's hope that they fix it at some point.

xandaca

Chuck said:
Ugh, lag shooting? Really, again? You can tell by watching that video that it's taking the player far more shots to kill an enemy than you'd see in a PS360 video.

Apparently the game can be patched, so hopefully it will be sorted soonish.

Am I crazy person or does that anyone find that the Wii version of these games are easier to play because they're not quite so visually cluttered?

There is definite lag shooting or hit detection issues. Other impressions are that the weapon-leveling system is probably as bad as I thought, but getting the Pro Perks is much easier, which is nice.

The game is fun, detection issues aside, and the new Support package is a nice twist. There are a decent amount of UAVs in the air, but SAM turrets are also widely used. Both UAV and SAM are among the first unlocked killstreaks, and SAMs no longer require an airdrop.

It actually takes a while to unlock more killstreaks, so it's unsurprising that so many people are going w/ UAV and Advanced UAV, which are default streaks. It does not seem like a clusterfuck though. I've only even seen a couple choppers so far.

I'm doing pretty terribly to be honest because I stubbornly insist on leveling up my burst fire M16 when the hit detection issues would probably warrant a spray 'n' pray automatic. If they can fix the issues, the game seems great. Although that will be decided when the maps are really explored inside and out, and that won't happen for a few weeks.

Disguises

Freezie KO said:
There is definite lag shooting or hit detection issues. Other impressions are that the weapon-leveling system is probably as bad as I thought, but getting the Pro Perks is much easier, which is nice.

The game is fun, detection issues aside, and the new Support package is a nice twist. There are a decent amount of UAVs in the air, but SAM turrets are also widely used. Both UAV and SAM are among the first unlocked killstreaks, and SAMs no longer require an airdrop.

It actually takes a while to unlock more killstreaks, so it's unsurprising that so many people are going w/ UAV and Advanced UAV, which are default streaks. It does not seem like a clusterfuck though. I've only even seen a couple choppers so far.

I'm doing pretty terribly to be honest because I stubbornly insist on leveling up my burst fire M16 when the hit detection issues would probably warrant a spray 'n' pray automatic. If they can fix the issues, the game seems great. Although that will be decided when the maps are really explored inside and out, and that won't happen for a few weeks.
Nice, thanks for the info. Seems like the only thing that is worrying me now is the hit detection issues. It sure would be amazing to have them patch in the same system that was used by Black Ops, but then again - I assumed it would already work like that :/. Might cancel my preorder until I hear from Treyarch about the hit detection issues.

Top Bottom