• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Wii |OT| Patch #3 is now live!

jacksrb

I think they are fine. The reticules and red dot sights seem particularly sharp.

However, the color pallate is a little muddy or same-y (lots of dark and grey) that can sometimes make it hard to spot other players.

Really looking forward to Wii U but would love it if I could use Wiimote + nunchuck to play BLOPS 2 or whatever.

How are the graphics and multiplayer?

The graphics are objectively better than previous CODs (scale and model texture-wise). However, the contrast is turned all the way up making some dark environments unnecessarily difficult to navigate. This high contrast, however, gives the game a distinct look that differentiates it from BLOPs and previous Wii CODs.

Multiplayer is different but good. The tempo is faster than BLOPS for sure and although there appears to be more customization, it feels somewhat restrictive compared to BLOPs. Co-op is also different. It's survival mode only with lots of maps unlike BLOPs, however, the gameplay itself is less interesting.

rpmurphy

I haven't played for about a week, but there's supposedly some crazy exploit or hack involving shooting at the floor or something.

fernoca

Was just playing earlier today (like 13k online). Alternated between team deathmatch, kill confirmed and spec-ops..and nothing "bad" per se.

Though, I'm more of an offline guy; been having some fun offline and in Spec-Ops. Just crouch in a corner and kill all the incoming enemies..even helicopters with a machine gun. XD

Bryan1321

Banned
I haven't played for about a week, but there's supposedly some crazy exploit or hack involving shooting at the floor or something.

Ive never encountered with the exploit. but in theory it only consist in shooting in the floor as crazy and bam, al the other team is killed. again i didnt read it completely but its annoying for many

Again... never happened to me

rpmurphy

Ive never encountered with the exploit. but in theory it only consist in shooting in the floor as crazy and bam, al the other team is killed. again i didnt read it completely but its annoying for many

Again... never happened to me
I think this might have been an issue from early on because there has been ongoing complaints about a bug where people occasionally get hurt with no one firing at them. Maybe someone finally managed to discover why it happens.

This game was such a mess in the beginning. After patches it has been very good. Even though I was in one hacked match where screen was littered with fonts and website name nothing major has happened since. There is more places to camp in this game which I hate but somehow there are less sniper in this game than blops. Overall I have stopped playing blops now. I do think some guns are over powered though and progress system was little bit better in blops.

I think this might have been an issue from early on because there has been ongoing complaints about a bug where people occasionally get hurt with no one firing at them. Maybe someone finally managed to discover why it happens.

I think I know what you're talking about. I've encountered this twice, and was once on the coder's side. Basically, the match started and then this guy on my team started firing at me, so jokingly I shot back at him. When this happened, the entire enemy team died within seconds and I was getting credited for their deaths.

Another time I joined a room and two guys had scrolling rainbow colored text with YouTube links and flashing neon hacker names. The enemies (2 of 'em) had 180+ kills before the round halfway ended, so I didn't join in and spectated instead. When I left, all of my gun classes had changed name from "CLASS 1" or whatever to a hacker's YT link...
lol

I think I know what you're talking about. I've encountered this twice, and was once on the coder's side. Basically, the match started and then this guy on my team started firing at me, so jokingly I shot back at him. When this happened, the entire enemy team died within seconds and I was getting credited for their deaths.

Another time I joined a room and two guys had scrolling rainbow colored text with YouTube links and flashing neon hacker names. The enemies (2 of 'em) had 180+ kills before the round halfway ended, so I didn't join in and spectated instead. When I left, all of my gun classes had changed name from "CLASS 1" or whatever to a hacker's YT link...
lol

that is exactly what happened to me. All my class name changed. That was so unreal lol. The whole time in that match I was thinking wtf wtf. Also gravity was also changed somehow so It was like everyone was moon walking. So awesome because many people forgot to shoot haah.

that is exactly what happened to me. All my class name changed. That was so unreal lol. The whole time in that match I was thinking wtf wtf. Also gravity was also changed somehow so It was like everyone was moon walking. So awesome because many people forgot to shoot haah.

Haha. I've seen moonwalking once, but crazy enough only the enemy team could pull it off. My team started the round with 0 ammo, so our weapons were perpetually reloading on their own and we couldn't do anything. Also, I've run into invincible players. This guy was once 60+ kills/0 deaths and nuked us and everything before the game crashed because he had more air support (looked like the sky was filled with choppers lol) than the game could handle.

Disguises

So I just ran across this on Go Nintendo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8DjG2igYwkk
How do you even figure that out!?
Guess there's a patch coming next month then.

Haven't played for a while, my friend dragged me onto the 360 version and I've begun to quite like it after unlocking some decent weapons. I still intend to play some Wii version, but there's so many games I need to play -_-. Anyway, here's hoping they patch some other issues along with this game-ruining glitch.

EDIT: As far as I know, the glitch is dead thanks to a speedy hotfix by Treyarch

Boerseun

Banned
I bought Black Ops Wii late last year, after having already purchased Modern Warfare 3 Wii and having owned Black Ops PC since release. Black Ops Wii has clicked with me in a way that the PC version never did, and more importantly, I find it more enjoyable to play than Modern Warfare 3 Wii.

Having checked around a bit, it seems the big three on-line shooters on Wii are generally considered to be Black Ops, Conduit 2 and Goldeneye. I can confirm that I play all three more than I do Modern Warfare 3. Perhaps it's because I find those three games more fun to play, find their upgrade trees more engaging, and just love the heck out of their maps. Or perhaps it's because Modern Warfare 3 is ugly to look at, most of the maps don't accomodate varied play styles, and the upgrade tree is fundamentally broken, with many of the handiest weapons being unlocked very early, making the extra effort to unlock better weapons unnecessary. We could also mention Modern Warfare 3's on-line performance. It's been improved since launch but still doesn't measure up to the aforementioned "big 3".

In the end it's all obviously a subjective process we're engaging in here. I've never been a Halo fan but some people love it. I also believe the last good Call of Duty single-player campaign was Call of Duty 3. And I was playing Modern Warfare: Mobilised on-line yesterday, and the map designs in a DS game shouldn't be comparable to those in Modern Warfare 3 on consoles. (n-Space really worked some magic there. I wish Nintendo would buy them already and get them working on a Wii U-exclusive shooter series to take on Call of Duty.)

Having said all that, Kill Confirmed is genius, and almost makes me forget that the rest of the game is so mediocre.

How are the graphics and multiplayer?

Graphics is better. Art is worse.

Multiplayer performance is still shaky, including the big issue with sometimes having to wait five to ten minutes to get into a match. Note, Black Ops, Conduit 2 and Goldeneye will drop you straight into a match almost immediately after logging in. And they all offer a more consistent on-line performance too.

Was just playing earlier today (like 13k online).

From what I saw, the numbers peaked at around 15 000 between Christmas and New Year. That was the one and only time I've seen it beating Black Ops, which was also around 15 000, but with a few hundred less than Modern Warfare 3.

At the moment it seems Black Ops is back to around 18 000 and Modern Warfare 3 is around 12 000. In comparison, I also own the PC version of Black Ops and that has around 5 000 active players. Most of the dedicated servers have already been shut down and the remaining ones are mostly hosting Hardcore matches on top of having nearly unplayably high pings (for my location).

I reckon this is the perfect time for Treyarch and Activision to throw us Wii gamers a bone with some free Black Ops maps. That would likely see the game push beyond 20 000 and probably close to 25 000 active players.

So I just ran across this on Go Nintendo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8DjG2igYwkk
How do you even figure that out!?
Guess there's a patch coming next month then.

Wow, that's unbelievable. I wonder how that glitch was discovered.

xandaca

I bought Black Ops Wii late last year, after having already purchased Modern Warfare 3 Wii and having owned Black Ops PC since release. Black Ops Wii has clicked with me in a way that the PC version never did, and more importantly, I find it more enjoyable to play than Modern Warfare 3 Wii.

Having checked around a bit, it seems the big three on-line shooters on Wii are generally considered to be Black Ops, Conduit 2 and Goldeneye. I can confirm that I play all three more than I do Modern Warfare 3. Perhaps it's because I find those three games more fun to play, find their upgrade trees more engaging, and just love the heck out of their maps. Or perhaps it's because Modern Warfare 3 is ugly to look at, most of the maps don't accomodate varied play styles, and the upgrade tree is fundamentally broken, with many of the handiest weapons being unlocked very early, making the extra effort to unlock better weapons unnecessary. We could also mention Modern Warfare 3's on-line performance. It's been improved since launch but still doesn't measure up to the aforementioned "big 3".

In the end it's all obviously a subjective process we're engaging in here. I've never been a Halo fan but some people love it. I also believe the last good Call of Duty single-player campaign was Call of Duty 3. And I was playing Modern Warfare: Mobilised on-line yesterday, and the map designs in a DS game shouldn't be comparable to those in Modern Warfare 3 on consoles. (n-Space really worked some magic there. I wish Nintendo would buy them already and get them working on a Wii U-exclusive shooter series to take on Call of Duty.)

Having said all that, Kill Confirmed is genius, and almost makes me forget that the rest of the game is so mediocre.

Graphics is better. Art is worse.

Multiplayer performance is still shaky, including the big issue with sometimes having to wait five to ten minutes to get into a match. Note, Black Ops, Conduit 2 and Goldeneye will drop you straight into a match almost immediately after logging in. And they all offer a more consistent on-line performance too.

From what I saw, the numbers peaked at around 15 000 between Christmas and New Year. That was the one and only time I've seen it beating Black Ops, which was also around 15 000, but with a few hundred less than Modern Warfare 3.

At the moment it seems Black Ops is back to around 18 000 and Modern Warfare 3 is around 12 000. In comparison, I also own the PC version of Black Ops and that has around 5 000 active players. Most of the dedicated servers have already been shut down and the remaining ones are mostly hosting Hardcore matches on top of having nearly unplayably high pings (for my location).

I reckon this is the perfect time for Treyarch and Activision to throw us Wii gamers a bone with some free Black Ops maps. That would likely see the game push beyond 20 000 and probably close to 25 000 active players.

Wow, that's unbelievable. I wonder how that glitch was discovered.

I actually prefer MW3 - I found the Black Ops maps to mostly be pretty boring. The ideal would be the MW Reflex maps (still the best in the series) with the BO performance.

As for the 'shoot the floor' glitch, I've experienced it a few times. Its annoying, but at least it should make Treyarch sort out some of the other lingering issues along with it, such as the glitch with the Outpost trucks.

clemenx

Banned
I'm back to this after getting sucked into Xenoblade so feel free to add me my code's on the OP. I've never found anything weird be it hacks or glitchs... I think I've been pretty lucky overall. But I mostly play Domination and there's never more than 800 people playing that, lol.

I didn't try BLOPS on Wii after absolutely hating WaW.

fernoca

I didn't try BLOPS on Wii after absolutely hating WaW.
If your'e enjoying/enjoyed MW3, give it a try. Since everything's similar in the sense of gameplay and what you do; yet different (different campaign, different multiplayer matches, and Zombies instead of Spec-Ops)... so it would be like an additional/new game to play instead of a substitute.

clemenx

Banned
If your'e enjoying/enjoyed MW3, give it a try. Since everything's similar in the sense of gameplay and what you do; yet different (different campaign, different multiplayer matches, and Zombies instead of Spec-Ops)... so it would be like an additional/new game to play instead of a substitute.

Will do if I find it cheap. But I dedicated a lot to BLOPS on PS3 with a friend, heh.

Yeah, I'm enjoying MW3 a lot. I can't go play as often now due to work with my friend with the PS3 so that's why I got this for the nights :) The only thing I really miss is the killcam, lol.
Also, I bought a classic controller for this, I can finally snipe properly :) which is the only thing I can't seem to do with the wii mote (damn shaky hands!) , but other than that I like the wiimote and don't notice any advantage or disadvantage with using it, it's really well implemented and fun.

Disguises

Finally a new patch!

Wii_Admin said:
02/16/12 Update:

Improved the ability of AI-controlled killstreaks to track and shoot targets
Fixed several map escapes and exploits – notably in Outpost and Seatown
Implemented various weapon balance changes that affect the shotgun/grenade launcher attachments for assault rifles, the FMG9, akimbo weapons, shotguns, the Type 95, the ACR, Semtex, and silenced sniper rifles.
Fixed an issue that was causing the Pavelow killstreak to not be damaged or destroyed with lock-on missiles
Fixed an exploit that allowed players to purchase items with Prestige tokens they had not earned
Fixed a bug that allowed players to call multiple MOAB strikes with a short period of time
Fixed a bug that allowed players to assign weapon proficiencies to weapons that should not be able to have them.
Fixed an issue where players reported that certain air support units could not be shot down in the Free-For-All game mode.
Fixed excessive cooldown time on sentry turrets
Fixed objects that can be placed not appearing red when they are in an invalid placement position immediately as they are pulled out
Fixed an issue that caused the laptop to get stuck on screen when a player’s Assault Drone was destroyed immediately after placement
Imporved performance when multiple headsets are in use
Fixed several low frequency crashes
Implemented several miscellaneous performance optimizations
Anyone still playing? Would like to finally jump in this weekend

I do occasionally. It's still a fun game and aiming with the wiimote still rules, but with my new baby growing quickly I've got less time for it.

If the akimbo machine pistols were properly nerfed it will be a dramatic blow to noobs everywhere, which suits me just fine.

fernoca

Thanks to the always awesome Nirolak, title's updated...

Also updated the main post with the patch info, version and size.

It's a really nice patch. Game just seems to feel a lot better. Also, anyone with hacks is locked out of public matches with the new patch.

fernoca

It's a really nice patch. Game just seems to feel a lot better. Also, anyone with hacks is locked out of public matches with the new patch.
Oh yeah, was just reading about that. Going to add that to the main post.

http://www.callofduty.com/thread/200399999 said:
"ok and some codes have been patched?

Yes alot of codes

LMFAO if you use a mod menu in a public match it just kicks every1 out and doesnt let anyone in the lobby ****! "

"THIS PATCH SUCKS OLD GRANDPAS!!!! it fucked everything up"

"As of right now i havent found 1 working code"

"DAMN IT. ******* treyarch/infinittyward/activision"

"Message, from IW:
"Our level fastfile is different from the server! Aborting connection"

Mods in public match officially confirmed non working.

I hope they fixed the game rather than just fix h4><. "

"i cant ******* get on my ******* wii frezzez every ******* time god damn
't "

Muhahaha... in ya faces, nubs! GREAT WORK TREYARCH! I didn't think anyone could ever handle this retards

clemenx

Banned

Huh, and I just got killed with a hack predator missile for the 1st time :(

Anyone still playing? Would like to finally jump in this weekend
Still playing here!

So did they nerf the Type 95?

I wouldn't know as I started using the Type 95 after the patch but it's a beast. I'm guessing no, as I kill with it regularly with just one burst and that seems to be a main complaint.

anybody here still play? just got my wii back since last time I posted and haven't seen anybody on.

Edit: HOLY SHIT I'm fucking terrible at this now. :(

Edit 2: getting back to being good :D

Bryan1321

Banned
anybody here still play? just got my wii back since last time I posted and haven't seen anybody on.

Still playing here, Just to let everybody know that also for Wii theres double XP this weekend

Edit: YAY, know we are in the community forum

clemenx

Banned

I added you. I've been playing an unhealthy amount these past 2 weeks. >_> I suddenly became good without noticing and I've been trying to get my K:D to 1 lolol. I'm at 0.91 from 0.7 heh.

Effect

So I see the latest patch dealt with hackers. Is it still holding well now? Considering picking up the game again if I can find it cheap now that this has been taken care of. Might still have issues with the design IW has used but oh well. Rather get another FPS on the Wii at this point.

Top Bottom