• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Wii |OT| Patch #3 is now live!

Boerseun

Banned
My copy of Black Ops Wii arrived yesterday. Having been playing the game on PC the past year I was looking forward to seeing how the Wii version compares.

I've already put in about four to five hours, playing campaign and multiplayer. This is the wrong thread for posting my impressions, except one thing I shall say is that I now realise what you guys were complaining about! Black Ops on Wii is butter smooth, fast and looks great! It may even be the definitive version (in my opinion).

11/30/11 Update:

Major Fixes:

• MP - Major optimzation work to improve host frame-rate issues ("host-lag")
  • Spec Ops - Major optimization improvement to help with reports of spec ops "rubberbanding/lag"
  • Session Host Migration Fixes
  • Added "Add Friend" option in the MP shell when selecting a player's playercard

Other Fixes:

• Fix for crosshairs always going to the center of the screen when scoping in if "Control Stick" was selected for scope aiming
  • Fix for Proposal list only displaying first 8 proposals in the list.
  • IK Settings for clients were disabled whenever the host mantled through certain windows.
  • Fix for Stinger not locking onto UAVs when using the Wii Remote.
  • The GIGN SMG character would disappear when looking at him from a short distance.
  • Fix for M.O.A.B. locking out user's gun but still allow ability to pull out the radio.
  • The "Mission Select" menu would remain locked if a player launched a Single Player "Campaign" after creating the profile in the "Multiplayer" Shell.
  • Fix for player having no secondary weapon after turning off the Overkill Pro perk.
  • Spec Ops - Fix for the accuracy total on the end of match screen not always equaling what the player should have received
  • Fixed missing bomber emblem during gameplay
  • Fix where after a player exits the remote tank, their character would pop out of sight for a brief period of time.
  • Fix for when player was able to mantle the sentry gun
  • Fix for when player could not pickup flag when placed on a turret
  • Fix for reports of players experiencing a freeze while a Remote Sentry is active in a Private FFA match
  • Fix for when emptying the clip of a SCAR-L with the Heartbeat Sensor and the Hybrid Sight in the short range position would cause the player to be unable to reload until they put the sight in the long range position
  • Fix for message stating weapon rank had increased when it hadn't
  • Fix for some imcomplete or incorrect playlist descriptions
  • Fix for "Assist" message not appearing in private matches
  • Several minor player collision issues fixed
  • Various stability improvements

I'm quoting the above as this is a new page. I'll be updating tonight.

I'm hoping it's now easier to get into a game on-line. Black Ops (like Goldeneye and Conduit 2) will let you play in thirty seconds after hitting the on-line multiplayer button. Modern Warfare 3 takes around five minutes. And I know from reading the official forums that this is (was?) a widespread problem.

Another problem I've experienced is that I'll get killed without the other player actually looking in my direction. That makes it a bit hard to sneak up on someone for a melee attack.

Anyway, you've got to love Treyarch for their dedication!

Here's my ally code if anybody wants to add me.

1304-2997-2366

Welcome! :)

I'll add you later tonight or tomorrow depending on how my schedule works out.

Disguises

A new hotfix was posted today:
WiiAdmin said:
12/02/11 Update (no download necessary):

MP - Outlook - Fixed Exploit

MP - Village - Fixed Exploit

MP - Downturn - Fixed Exploit

Depends on what do you mean by "sticky aim". :p

If you mean that when pressing ZL (or the "shoot from the hip) button (which zooms-in a little) it auto-looks/locks to the nearest target; that has been since the game was released. Some refer it as "aim assist" which can be turned off. Default is on and it's also used when playing with the Wii Remote (and "shooting from the hip"). Some don't like since it makes it easier to do headshots.
By "sticky aim", I mean that the crosshair slows down when you are looking at an enemy, making it easier to shoot them (using Classic Controller). It's definitely there now, but I can't remember if it was there or not before the newest patch :S.

Anyway, I played a little 2 days ago just after the patch and really want to get stuck in this weekend. I've been playing against some really good players, which is weird because I'm used to being top of the game :p.

fernoca

Nice, wasn't aware of the hotfixes. Added it under Updates, as Hotfix #1. Though, I guess they meant Outpost and not Outlook.

And, not sure about the "sticky aim" then. Haven't played in..a few days, darn.. definitely will today. :p

Updated the main post and turned the release dates, developers and compatible controllers into one image, to post them all in the same line.
That way, it's faster to go to the 'Updates/Patches' part; right when clicking/checking the main post.

Also moved "Ally Codes" all the way up to above 'Updates', so people don't need to scroll down all the way to the end of the main post to look for people.
If the allies-list grows too much, I might move it again all the way to the end, so that the focus stays on the 'Updates/Patches' bit of the thread.

Boerseun

Banned
What does "fixed exploit" mean exactly? Which exploits were fixed? Does anyone know? I've been scouring the official forums but can't seem to find any information on just what exactly was changed.

fernoca

What does "fixed exploit" mean exactly? Which exploits were fixed? Does anyone know? I've been scouring the official forums but can't seem to find any information on just what exactly was changed.
Looking around for the "Outpost fixed exploit"; people mention things like:
I only know of the oil trucks (patched) and the under/out of the map glitch between A and C dom.
They fixed the wall breach to get under map at the tunnel. However, they still didnt fix the other 2 breach points either..........I guess the roof makes "3" more things they need to patch in order to make that map somewhat fun.
And "WiiAdmin" admitted not knowing about other exploits, so guess they'll look into it.

i was walking in the cloud in seatown today. everything disappeared lol. just for 10 seconds than i walked back and things came back.

fernoca

Well, after taking a break with Zelda, finally finished the campaign. :)
In general, really enjoyed it. The visuals were really nice and a lot of explosions and demolitions; there was a part in a city, and you walking through collapsed buildings that looked really nice with the contrast of the blue sky an the dust around.

Story, well..nothing big; kinda like in MW2 were is more about action and spectacle than MW1 which was more slower-paced. Some story aspects appeared to be kinda rushed like they just wanted to put a closure to the Makarov arc; but overall cool (though 2 characters die, which sucked since is like they were killed for the skake of killing them). Sound was great, music too.

Noticed in the credits, that along Treyarch, FXVille and High Impact Games were listed as co-developers of the Wii version; though only 3 people from High Impact games.

Overall quite pleased with the campaign, going back to Multiplayer in the following days.

Bryan1321

Banned
Hi gaf i was looking for a Code list in the OP but there aint one (EDIT THERE IS ONE, I added everyone hope you add me....)

If anyone wants to add me my ally code is 4627-8396-7171

Impressions so far

I dont know why everyone was bitchin about multiplayer online, it its much better than the goldeneye one. The game plays great once you customize you scheme.

And i did some Special ops missions online. (Seems to be a horde mode)

Anyway so far so good

Deadbeat

Banned
I got a couple questions I need answered.

1. Is there local coop for both survival and spec ops missions?

and to build off that question

2. Can I use two classic controllers in local coop?

Bryan1321

Banned
I got a couple questions I need answered.

1. Is there local coop for both survival and spec ops missions?

and to build off that question

2. Can I use two classic controllers in local coop?

1.- No

2.- Therefore No... but single player is compatible with the classic controller

fernoca

Yeah, for that matter the entire game can be played with a Classic Controller. Is quite similar to the Xbox 360/PS3 controls too in that to accept/confirm, you choose B (which is A on 360 and X on PS3). [Wii games usually use A to confirm, which is in the position of Circle in PS3 and B on 360; which are used to go back/cancel through menus]

But as Bryan said, no local multiplayer of any kind in the Wii version.

By the way, there's some talk about hacking in the official forums about some weird hack. Seems you can be playing online, out of nowhere been taken out of the game back to the menu. There, you'll see the same regular menu but talks about hackers getting access to your classes and they rename your custom classes to the name of the hackers and/or their website.

Aside that, no other details if it affects the save or game more than that, so keep an eye out. Seems that it is solved by just renaming/deleting the custom classes.

(thread with pictures)

Boerseun

Banned
I dont know why everyone was bitchin about multiplayer online, it its much better than the goldeneye one. The game plays great once you customize you scheme.

In my opinion, the three big on-line first person shooters on Wii are Conduit 2, Goldeneye 007 and Call of Duty: Black Ops. They each have their strengths and all three are well worth owning as a complementary package.

Modern Warfare 3's on-line isn't worthless by any means, but poor level design, grainy textures and an awful colour selection definitely takes it down a notch (again, in my opinion). The upgrade system also feels to me like a step back from the cash-based system implemented in Black Ops. Worst of all though, the game can take ages before allowing you to join a match. This seems to be a bug, as opposed to being a genuine connection issue, as this wait time seems very inconsistant. The worst I've seen is the game taking 10 minutes and not finding a match, despite the on-screen readout continuing to list the amount of available matches as it fluctuates upon people leaving or joining that particular mode. On another occasion I've been in-game in less than a minute.

Goldeneye is just so darn playable. I realise the HD version has been borked in various ways, what with the developers deciding on rebuilding the entire game in a completely different engine, and changing various facets of the gameplay along the way. But the original Wii game is one of my favourite on-line titles this gen, on any format. It's accessible and fun. The variety of game modes are great. It can take a while to reach the better weapons and accessories, but every weapon in the game has a distinct feel, requires a new approach and keeps things interesting. (To see this approach taken even much much further, buy Conduit 2, a game where each weapon changes the entire dynamic of a match.)

Anyway, this isn't a thread about slagging off Modern Warfare 3. I continue playing and enjoying the game. For some reason I rarely see my GAF allies on-line though, so it feels a bit like others have moved on while I'm still playing. The numbers dropping to less than five thousand active players seems to bear this out.

On weekends I play mostly Conduit 2, as that game's on-line roster tends to be packed on Saturdays and Sundays. But maybe we should think about organising a private GAF game for Modern Warfare 3? I'm still waiting for the opportunity to play with and against you guys.

Bryan1321

Banned
Goldeneye is just so darn playable, in my opinion. I realise the HD version has been borked in various ways, what with the developers deciding on rebuilding the entire game in a completely different engine, and changing various facets of the gameplay along the way. But the original Wii game is one of my favourite on-line titles this gen, on any format. It's accessible and fun. The variety of game modes are great. It can take a while to reach the better weapons and accessories, but every weapon in the game has a distinct feel, requires a new approach and keeps things interestingguys.

I enjoyed a lot Goldeneye, and its one of my favorite games. even though i dont use the golden controller...

As i Said my firts impression with MW3 was a good one, but as a FIRST TIME COD gamer. it seems so fresh...

Maybe thats the reason im not complaining. Never played BLOPS, never played Conduit 2.

The level up system in goldeneye its the first thing im missing in MW3.

Anyway if someone wants to do the special ops with a new guy (noob). Im ready

But maybe we should think about organising a private GAF game for Modern Warfare 3? I'm still waiting for the opportunity to play with and against you guys.

Absolutely....

How does the headset work?. Will using it. cause lag in the game?

Finished Skyward Sword and ready to get a little CoD in before my kid is born :D Dunno how often I'll be playing but here's my ally code:

3616-8734-1791

I added you guys, invite me if you see me on!

Finished Skyward Sword and ready to get a little CoD in before my kid is born :D Dunno how often I'll be playing but here's my ally code:

3616-8734-1791

I added you guys, invite me if you see me on!

haha congrats. Mine was born a month ago. Say good by to gaming. Kids are so so awesome. I do not let mine go away from my hand many times.

Disguises

I (still) blame Zelda and Mario Kart for not playing more of this. Will hopefully play more of this on the run-up to Xmas. Wish something could be done about hackers - it seems like its starting to get out of hand :/.

Bryan1321

Banned
Just played with HisshouBuraiKen and as you could see, im just starting to get how make classes, the perks and all that customization options the game gives

LV 4.... still

Chuck i was trying to play with you, but always full session.....

I (still) blame Zelda and Mario Kart for not playing more of this. Will hopefully play more of this on the run-up to Xmas. Wish something could be done about hackers - it seems like its starting to get out of hand :/.
Y'know, I saw my first blatant hacker this morning before Hisshou teamed up with me. This guy was flying in the air and sniping from above. I managed to drop him a couple of times but it took nearly my whole Type 95 clip. >:|

Just played with HisshouBuraiKen and as you could see, im just starting to get how make classes, the perks and all that customization options the game gives

LV 4.... still

Chuck i was trying to play with you, but always full session.....
Hey, I saw you online and was going to invite you as soon as I ate lunch but by then you were offline. Next time for sure, buddy.

Man, it's like lag shooting's back this morning. Normally it takes at the most 2 trigger pumps from a Type 95 to bring someone down. This morning, I went 0-11 with Plexirvones because my damn gun just wouldn't kill anybody. And I assure you the enemy team was nothing to write home about. I'll try again later, but no way am I going to play with lag like that.

Man, it's like lag shooting's back this morning. Normally it takes at the most 2 trigger pumps from a Type 95 to bring someone down. This morning, I went 0-11 with Plexirvones because my damn gun just wouldn't kill anybody. And I assure you the enemy team was nothing to write home about. I'll try again later, but no way am I going to play with lag like that.

Yeah it was terrible. :( I'll get back on later to.

luoapp

So I decided to return to Black Ops yesterday, and man, so much better. Smooth frame rate, bright color, combat can happen at different distance. I am sad that the newest CoD on WII is actually inferior than the previous version in more than one ways. I think I am going to stay in BO. Glad to meet you guys.

PS: did I mention BO multiplayer is still going 15,000+ strong?

Yeah it was terrible. :( I'll get back on later to.
It's so frustrating when it lags like that. I look forward to playing with you again soon!

So I decided to return to Black Ops yesterday, and man, so much better. Smooth frame rate, bright color, combat can happen at different distance. I am sad that the newest CoD on WII is actually inferior than the previous version in more than one ways. I think I am going to stay in BO. Glad to meet you guys.

PS: did I mention BO multiplayer is still going 15,000+ strong?
I agree, Black Ops is the better game. Can you post your friend code when you have a chance so we can play sometime?

luoapp

It's so frustrating when it lags like that. I look forward to playing with you again soon!

I agree, Black Ops is the better game. Can you post your friend code when you have a chance so we can play sometime?
Sure. 1736-0160-8879.
"222" that's me

clemenx

Banned
Just got this on the cheap and I'm pleasantly surprised, the only other CoD Wii I played was WaW and I hated it. I play the PS3 version a lot on my buddy's home but this will do when I'm bored in my place, as I don't have a HD console lol. The only thing I'm really missing is the killcam!

Sadly, my classic controller broke, so I'm using the Wii remote, I like it in default settings but does anyone have a good custom setup for the sensitivity? Much appreciated :D

This is my ally code if anyone wants to play with an awful player :p 4653-0972-4589

Bryan1321

Banned
Just got this on the cheap and I'm pleasantly surprised, the only other CoD Wii I played was WaW and I hated it. I play the PS3 version a lot on my buddy's home but this will do when I'm bored in my place, as I don't have a HD console lol. The only thing I'm really missing is the killcam!

Sadly, my classic controller broke, so I'm using the Wii remote, I like it in default settings but does anyone have a good custom setup for the sensitivity? Much appreciated :D

This is my ally code if anyone wants to play with an awful player :p 4653-0972-4589

Added!

I know your that feeling, maybe we could get better doing the special ops first. before joinining the multiplayer

I turn the sensitivity box down a lot. Turn camera help on. Use mw style. I change the styles until I get perfect i usually just practice in private game alone to see how it fits. Also change the aiming to dot or other things you might like.

Sorry for bailing, Plex. The host lag was really pissing me off. I can't play this fucking game from my house because my fiber will always set me as host. By the way, those OG clan were bitches. We had them but of course I'm always partied with people who can't play the objective (not including you :p).

Lenardo

Banned
My son is a Total CoD noob, but i played conduit (did not buy 2) and was wondering if (i did not see any screen shots of customized layouts/controls) anyone could recommend a good range of tweaked controls or it is more of a trial and error thing.

i do not play COD mostly due to not liking the genre, but my son's friends all play (on ps3 or 360-and we only have the wii) and he wanted this so my wife got it for him for xmas, but he is getting Destroyed online (he has played it only once so far but he is loving it, even though getting annihilated online) so i figure to ask on what the basic more expert setups people use...he adapts well (currently he is using the untweaked zapper setup) to games...

game is hacked by the way. I came in to the match and there were red and green letter everywhere with website name something rules and something. My name of the class changed to wfg rules you like mofo something like that. Only one match like that I bailed out but it was crazy seeing everything in slow motion . I hope it does not spread.

Bryan1321

Banned
game is hacked by the way. I came in to the match and there were red and green letter everywhere with website name something rules and something. My name of the class changed to wfg rules you like mofo something like that. Only one match like that I bailed out but it was crazy seeing everything in slow motion . I hope it does not spread.

Yep it has been hapening a lot on the change class name issue.

In My online matches. i havent seen anything so crazy as you describe. but yes its better to bail out in those cases.

Also im the only one who puts melee atack on the nunchuck gesture? and reloading on - ? (AKA goldeneye controllers)

Yep it has been hapening a lot on the change class name issue.

In My online matches. i havent seen anything so crazy as you describe. but yes its better to bail out in those cases.

Also im the only one who puts melee atack on the nunchuck gesture? and reloading on - ? (AKA goldeneye controllers)

surprisingly I have not used melee at all in MW3 I did it a lot in blops it was so effective in that. People used to just knife people around lol

rpmurphy

Yay, finally have time to sit down with some Wii games! I sent ally requests to everyone on the OP list, which has everyone so far right? Mine is 0433-5917-1667.

fernoca

Yay, finally have time to sit down with some Wii games! I sent ally requests to everyone on the OP list, which has everyone so far right? Mine is 0433-5917-1667.
Added ya. ;)
Well, it has everyone..but me since I don't play online that much..and I suck anyway. I bought it to play occasionally and mostly for the campaign since I wanted to finish the story. :p

No word on more updates; or teh addition of the newer playlists that were recently added for the rest of the "HD versions". Though it seems the modes are on the Wii version; since a few hackers apparently has been able to play them..offline.. Guess we'll see.

Bryan1321

Banned
Added ya. ;)
Well, it has everyone..but me since I don't play online that much..and I suck anyway. I bought it to play occasionally and mostly for the campaign since I wanted to finish the story. :p

No word on more updates; or teh addition of the newer playlists that were recently added for the rest of the "HD versions". Though it seems the modes are on the Wii version; since a few hackers apparently has been able to play them..offline.. Guess we'll see.

Really? Isnt that supposed to be DLC (thus made after they finished the game). How it can be on wii???

M3d10n

Since the Wii is fully hacked and games can be modified, this was inevitable.

fernoca

Really? Isnt that supposed to be DLC (thus made after they finished the game). How it can be on wii???
The new playlists? As far as I know that was server-based on the other versions (i.e. you connect online and they appear on the lists like the others; like the hotfix they released). Drop Zone, Hardcore HQ Ricochet, and Hardcore Ricochet were the ones added earlier this month to those versions.

clemenx

Banned
Hey guys, I'll be playing a lot this week I think. If anyone's active send invites :)

I saw rpmurphy online tonight but it always said Full Match when I tried to join :(

rpmurphy

Hey guys, I'll be playing a lot this week I think. If anyone's active send invites :)

I saw rpmurphy online tonight but it always said Full Match when I tried to join :(
Sorry, I didn't see ya. :-(
Send me an invite next time and I'll join you.

It's weird how many options are missing from this compared to Black Ops. No text messaging and I guess they wanted a lot of the player card stuff moved to Elite? Boo!

rpmurphy

Nice playing with some of you in the past few days. I'm still kinda going for exp to unlock all the guns so I'm mostly doing TDM, Kill Confirmed, and Team Defender.

cacildo

Since the Wii is fully hacked and games can be modified, this was inevitable.

I saw one hacked match, maybe two.
Every player was visible on the map as red dots. The message corner showed "Made by akshaosgauos" all the time.

In other match, my team was taking a beating. One teammate said the other team was teleporting. I dont think that´s true, they were probably just a lot better than us.

I saw one hacked match, maybe two.
Every player was visible on the map as red dots. The message corner showed "Made by akshaosgauos" all the time.

In other match, my team was taking a beating. One teammate said the other team was teleporting. I dont think that´s true, they were probably just a lot better than us.

I only had couple of matches like this but they were crazy experience. In one match gravity was changed so everything was slow. I did crazy good numbers in it but than I quit lol fearing it might change the setting again. How do this guys do this stuff? Do they hack online server or something?

Oh is it? It seems to me that a lot of the maps seem have too many heavily-shadowed or hidey places for camping. I guess I'll try sometime.

compare to black ops yes there are too many camping sites. If i get killed by camper I pick on him for rest of the match.

jacksrb

Due to our first child being born in December, not getting the game until Christmas, and finishing Skyward Sword, I just put this in for the first time last night.

How can the single player be so exciting yet not compelling?

Anyway, the multi is great. I have only played CoD on Wii, but I already enjoy the maps more than the BLOPS ones (although I agree that the color pallet in BLOPS made the game a little clearer on Wii). Something about all the variable sight lines or something...

Also, the weapon progression is pretty novel and the kill confirmed makes for some interesting scenarios.

Top Bottom