• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Wii |OT| Patch #3 is now live!

There are 634 players online right now.

If you're asking because you think that's the cause of the lag shooting, I don't believe that's it. Normally, when I lagged on Blops, the whole game would stutter, running would turn into teleporting, etc. That's not happening. People are moving smoothly, but the bullets aren't registering where they should.

I have had some good games for hit detection, but the majority have had some major issues. Most of my M16 kills have been when someone is coming directly at me, rather than strafing or moving on the run.

I have enough store credit for this so I think I'll grab it when I pick up 3d Land on Sunday. I was going to wait but I had a lot of fun with the online portions of the other Wii CoD games and I'm in the mood to play something like this.

luoapp

Freezie KO said:

If you're asking because you think that's the cause of the lag shooting, I don't believe that's it.

I just want to know what's the size of online community. In Blops, it constantly has about 10,000 online, which means plenty of games I can join. With 634 players, I think it's still possible to find a TDM game, but other more obscure game modes may be out of luck. But I am pretty sure, there will be a huge player influx after the holiday season.

As for the lag issue your guys are talking about, I think the chance it will get patched is, low. It's a engine/netcode issue deep inside. A lot of people complained about Blops' netcode issue (PC/XBOX/PS3), but little was done to fix that.

Me, personally, just happy they put it on wii.

Effect

What I'm curious about is how quickly will the game be adopted. I don't think it's a leap to say those that play it on the Wii are also interested in other Wii games. Do they spend money on this right now with other big Nintendo titles coming such as Skyward Sword and the Mario 3DS games or a chance of getting/buying a 3DS this holiday? It's not like MW3 is going to go anywhere and with the lack of promotion this time compared to even the limited exposure Black Ops and MWR got wouldn't that slow the adoption rate? I assume Activision doesn't think so but I'm not so sure to be honest. I guess it really is a wait and see situation. Perhaps we might know more by the end of the week when we see what the online numbers are like and what the Black Ops numbers look like to see if there is a significant decline.

Disguises

Freezie KO said:
Wha!? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a good 25,000+ on Black Ops for the first few months. I'm assuming it will go up towards xmas and even the weekend, but it seems awfully low.

Edit: Actually, just realised while typing this that the official release date for Europe is Friday and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that some US stores have changed the release of the Wii version to later this month? (I was at work when I read it, not sure where) (Can't find the link). Guess that explains things more.

luoapp said:
As for the lag issue your guys are talking about, I think the chance it will get patched is, low. It's a engine/netcode issue deep inside. A lot of people complained about Blops' netcode issue (PC/XBOX/PS3), but little was done to fix that.

Me, personally, just happy they put it on wii.
I just wish they stuck with Black Ops netcode. It was near perfect most of the time and going back to WaW and Reflex netcode isn't what I was expecting :/.

RickA238

This game really came out? I heard nothing at all about it. Is it good?
I'm seriously not trolling here, honest questions.

Effect

Disguises said:
Wha!? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a good 25,000+ on Black Ops for the first few months. I'm assuming it will go up towards xmas and even the weekend, but it seems awfully low.

Edit: Actually, just realised while typing this that the official release date for Europe is Friday and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that some US stores have changed the release of the Wii version to later this month? (I was at work when I read it, not sure where) Guess that explains things more.

No it came out in the US today. Just that with work and school people more then likely haven't been playing it just yet. The real test is from tonight till the weekend. Kmart, the one with the wrong date I believe most likely had issues with it's listing on their website.

Has anyone seen any footage of the DS version?

fernoca

Okay, resuming updates. :p
At the moment:
-Changed the banner slightly
-Added release dates
-Added a separate section for MinDikta's videos
-Changed GAF impressions so that I'll post a summary of what each says in the main post, with a link to the post for more detailed impressions (also to avoid clutter in the main post).

Is anybody starting up a GAF clan? Or are there plans to include friend codes in the OP?

Where is the cheapest place to buy a Headbanger headset?

luoapp

fernoca said:
Okay, resuming updates. :p
At the moment:
-Changed the banner slightly
-Added release dates
-Added a separate section for MinDikta's videos
-Changed GAF impressions so that I'll post a summary of what each says in the main post, with a link to the post for more detailed impressions (also to avoid clutter in the main post).

Great job for the OP! Thanks.

Can anyone post any high-as-possible-for-wii screens at all? I'm just curious as to what the game even looks like. And Google images gives me nothing. Yt blocked at work.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks like the videos but in something like 720 x 480 stretched to 800something x 480.

AbsoluteZero said:
Am I crazy person or does that anyone find that the Wii version of these games are easier to play because they're not quite so visually cluttered?
I haven't seen the other ones, but in general that is something that annoys me with MP games these days. I did play MW2 (I think it was) on the 360 and thought it was a bit cluttered, one level seemed like there was a ticker tape parade going on with so much flipping paper in the air.

Boerseun

Banned
I have no doubt Treyarch will patch all issues that are patchable.

Some of it sounds like lag from not having enough people playing it yet though.

Disguises said:
Actually, just realised while typing this that the official release date for Europe is Friday

Yes, for those who pre-ordered, even on-line retailers aren't allowed to ship it out before the 11th.

MiniDitka

Criminal Upper said:
Can anyone post any high-as-possible-for-wii screens at all? I'm just curious as to what the game even looks like. And Google images gives me nothing. Yt blocked at work.
I'll try and capture some later tonight.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
hmm will buy this then on the 11th guess it'll be form amazon as Gamestation wont have it lol

fernoca

Okay, renamed 'Media' to 'Game Videos' and put 'Screenshots' with some captures from Mini's videos at the end.

Feature

Banned
I'm surprised how good it looks (for the wii).

I'm not sure who or what to 'credit' for that
Is it the good developers or are the graphics so bad on the other platforms it actually starts to look decent on the wii?

Alexios

Looks like they even have some water effects going this time? Mini's videos are too dark to tell but you can kinda see shimmers in video 6 when he approaches the boat.

I gotta admit, I thought it would look much much worse. Treyarch really pushes the Wii one last time with it. I'm really glad that this game seems to be an almost perfect port (considering the hardware) of the game. And some of the cuts seem to actually benefit the game (no killcams, no AC 130 etc)

Don't worry about how many people are online. I was posting from the early AM after a midnight release.

Do worry about the lag shooting. This is imperative for them to fix. It's pretty bad, and if anything, it's gotten worse into the day as the poor hit detection issues have been coupled with just regular lag. I don't know how it could be so difficult to just copy whatever Black Ops was using. Despite it being far from perfect (such as host lag), it was much much better than this.

Alexios

What do people mean with lag shooting? That you have to lead shoot where the player is going rather than where he shows on screen based on your latency? I thought (granted I don't play that many online, last time I focused on such a game was many years ago with CS) that's standard practice for FPS games and the only "fair" way to do it as having client side hit drection means that while that person (or you) has already taken cover or whatever on their end, the latency on someone else's end means they're still in view on their screen and so they unfairly get shot if there's client side hit detection only. Unless you mean the latter is what happens and should be fixed.

Alextended said:
What do people mean with lag shooting? That you have to lead shoot where the player is going rather than where he shows on screen based on your latency? I thought (granted I don't play that many online, last time I focused on such a game was many years ago with CS) that's standard practice for FPS games and the only "fair" way to do it as having client side hit drection means that while that person (or you) has already taken cover or whatever on their end, the latency on someone else's end means they're still in view on their screen and so they unfairly get shot if there's client side hit detection only. Unless you mean the latter is what happens and should be fixed.

I'm no expert when it comes to the terminology. But yes, you have to consistently lead shoot several moves in advance. Not only that, there are major problems even when firing at a stationary target. I've been unloading entire clips at targets and not even getting hit markers.

Going from Black Ops on Wii, it's a monumental difference. It's not just an FPS-on-console issue. It's this game specifically. Black Ops was heaven compared to this. I was 20% accuracy in that game. In MW3, I'm about 7%. I can barely hit the wall when firing an M16, and I had to switch over to using an automatic and spraying just to make sure I can hit my target.

The best response to the issue was one I saw on the official forums. It summed up the hit detection issue quite succinctly. "There is no hit detection."

Alextended said:
Looks like they even have some water effects going this time? Mini's videos are too dark to tell but you can kinda see shimmers in video 6 when he approaches the boat.

They added EMBM water last year in Black Ops as well.

insin

Neo Member
Alextended said:
Here's someone else's decent quality video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAvb8nBtHHk
It's really weird watching someone play it on the Wii with the Classic Controller, being used to seeing the Wii versions played smooth and silky with cranked-up pointer settings. Running about should look like you're confidently navigating the environment, not jerking around.

I'm ambivalent on the return of lag shooting if it's the same as it was in Reflex, as I got to be pretty good with it there and lost count of the number of times I got killed after what should have been safely running into cover in Black Ops.

AbsoluteZero said:
Am I crazy person or does that anyone find that the Wii version of these games are easier to play because they're not quite so visually cluttered?

I agree. Its especially noticeable in WaW. This is one of the reasons I still prefer WaW. Cliffside ftw.

speaking of which, anybody pick up the ds version? I believe my bro was one of the best guys online (kicked the asses of the devs for blops lol).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Alextended said:
MiniDitka has up to video 6 now. Boat control level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8VcGys-z3A

Just click his channel uploads.

Video 5 has underwater stuff, looks cool.

Frame rate does seem to have plenty issues here and there but meh, it's the Wii.

All things considered, this looks pretty freaking great!

Hope they give the 3DS version to the Wii team (if there is a 3DS version). They're pretty damn consistent and reliable.

fabprems

Alextended said:
It looks like the videos but in something like 720 x 480 stretched to 800something x 480.
For the MP, yeah, I agree !
For the SP, it seems ok... weird

insin said:
I'm ambivalent on the return of lag shooting if it's the same as it was in Reflex, as I got to be pretty good with it there and lost count of the number of times I got killed after what should have been safely running into cover in Black Ops.
Yeah, that's very frustrating !

Doesn't look too bad. I honestly don't mind the graphics in general. I just wish it had better lighting. Everything looks dull and sterile. Other than that, it certainly appears like decent experience with most of the aspects intact.

insin said:

It's not like MW:R. It's much worse. I had several frustrations with Blops. Mostly host lag, but yes, also dying behind cover. This is worse than that. Like, bullets do not register when clearly on a stationary target. It needs to be patched or it can be considered broken.

Top Bottom