• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty WW2 reveal 26 april, website up [UPDATE: Leaked screenshots]

SDCowboy

I'm kind of bummed that I've fallen into the MP focused crowd. I find myself less and less interested in the single player reveal and am all but exclusively interested in MP, maps/3-lane/loadouts etc.. I used to always play through the campaign before I touched MP, but now, I rarely find the time or have the temperament to sit down and enjoy the work put into the campaigns.

With that said, I hope the reveal touches on MP...

Why would that bum you? COD is a MP-focused franchise.

Alienous

Infinite Warfare MP reveal was just at CoD XP last year...

Uh, it was?

Welp, I misremembered - you're right, it was.

I must've assumed it was handled the same way as Black Ops 3's.

Welp, as I said I don't expect a trailer, but I also can't see them setting up an event to talk about the single-player alone and head home.

strafer

They must be really proud of this game.

2017-04-2523_43_34-migzrj0.png

Can't wait for the reveal.

hype <3

Najaf

Why would that bum you? COD is a MP-focused franchise.

Eh, its more of a 'it's me, not you' kind of sentiment. The nostalgia of loading up some of the originals and candidly having more chunks of time on hand to drink in the set pieces on launch day is strong. Some of my fondest memories of COD aren't the great MP matches I've had, but the fond memory of those tanks rolling over my head when in the trenches of COD2, or the surprise when you got to take control of the AC130, or the high I felt when I first nailed the mile high achievement.

Now, I take the wrapping off (or load up the install more accurately), hop into MP, feel the familiar controls in my hands and set off to explore ten new MP maps and left trigger/right trigger. It's great, and arguably the best 60 bucks I spend each year, but realizing that what originally drew me into these games and dominated those launch weekends has taken a back seat to something that is fresh yet almost always predictable is a bit of a bummer.

I remember wanting to watch the newest campaign trailers over and over, drinking in the details. But now, its as if I could care less about what the reveal will bring tomorrow unless it focuses on MP elements. Not sure if that makes sense, but I miss that draw the SP had all those years back.

Hux1ey

Banned
I'm not so sure. I jumped in at Call of Duty 2 and played the shyte out of MP. It seemed a pretty strong focus.
When the first cod came out almost everyone was raving about the single player, the expansion United Offensive was more multiplayer focused as it had larger maps and vehicles. To me 2 was a step back compared to UO while the single player was the best yet. 4 is where they went MP crazy

SDCowboy

Eh, its more of a 'it's me, not you' kind of sentiment. The nostalgia of loading up some of the originals and candidly having more chunks of time on hand to drink in the set pieces on launch day is strong. Some of my fondest memories of COD aren't the great MP matches I've had, but the fond memory of those tanks rolling over my head when in the trenches of COD2, or the surprise when you got to take control of the AC130, or the high I felt when I first nailed the mile high achievement.

Now, I take the wrapping off (or load up the install more accurately), hop into MP, feel the familiar controls in my hands and set off to explore ten new MP maps and left trigger/right trigger. It's great, and arguably the best 60 bucks I spend each year, but realizing that what originally drew me into these games and dominated those launch weekends has taken a back seat to something that is fresh yet almost always predictable is a bit of a bummer.

I remember wanting to watch the newest campaign trailers over and over, drinking in the details. But now, its as if I could care less about what the reveal will bring tomorrow unless it focuses on MP elements. Not sure if that makes sense, but I miss that draw the SP had all those years back.
Yeah I'm kind of the same. I used to play the single player in the first three. From COD4 on, though, I just go straight to the MP and never touch the single player.

SDCowboy

Anyone else hope the game lobbies are all the players siting in the boats or planes, and we get transported to the map to start the round?

Yo that's in-game.

2017-04-2601_06_36-nv2kpha.png

Nine years after Saving Private Ryan, a game just might capture that intensity

Edit: 19

The rain on the clothes.

WE HYPE

I'm actually watching Saving Private Ryan and it's bonus features as I write this!

If they can make the Omaha Beach Landing as intense, gritty and realistic as it was in the film - I would be beyond ecstatic because I've been dreaming of that since walking out of the theater in 1998 after watching Saving Private Ryan.

Godspeed to you, Sledgehammer Games!

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Just seen the big poster they've got on the BFI. Haven't played COD for years but I'm actually quite excited about this event tomorrow.

strafer

I'm actually watching Saving Private Ryan and it's bonus features as I write this!

If they can make the Omaha Beach Landing as intense, gritty and realistic as it was in the film - I would be beyond ecstatic because I've been dreaming of that since walking out of the theater in 1998 after watching Saving Private Ryan.

Godspeed to you, Sledgehammer Games!

They need to capturet the sound just right. I need to hear and feel that MG-42 shooting at me.

BBboy20

Brothers in Arms as a series did focus on small-unit actions and might be seen as unflinchingly violent (almost no music played during missions, for example, just gunfire and shouts with plentiful gore in later entries), and Hell's Highway in particular did begin to delve a bit into psychological horror, but I don't think any of the games featured limited resources beyond the lives of your squad members.

I would like to see something like what you describe be developed, a game that properly conveys the desperation of combat.
Brothers in Arms 4 could be it...if that ever came to be...Gearsbox.........

But yeah: Call of Duty is an arcade shooter through and through. Finesse, octane action is it's DNA. The closest resemblance of that with horror would be F.E.A.R.

Brothers in Arms 4 could be it...if that ever came to be...Gearsbox.........

But yeah: Call of Duty is an arcade shooter through and through. Finesse, octane action is it's DNA. The closest resemblance of that with horror would be F.E.A.R.
It's hard to do in games because the act of shooting at digital enemies is inherently an enjoyable one. Strip everything away and you're just blasting projectiles at objects, which, as seen in various shmups and dual stick shooters, is fun. Even with context and a Spec Ops: The Line approach, taking on enemies can feel distanced from whatever emotions a game wants to convey when it's set up as a you vs them battle

The only way it works is when the "enemy" is presented from an empathetic view. For example, having to face survivors just like youself in This War of Mine. By needing to struggle in your own shelter, you understand that the people of the places you're sneaking through aren't just faceless evil enemies, and it can feel wrong when you do kill someone.

They need to capturet the sound just right. I need to hear and feel that MG-42 shooting at me.

Agreed.

I play all of my games in surround sound and I still demo the first 28 minutes of Saving Private Ryan on Blu-ray to friends, just to showcase how essential a surround sound setup really is to fully immerse yourself into your entertainment. I really hope that their sound design is at least on par with Saving Private Ryan.

Yoday

I agree. Sound has always been lackluster in COD games when compared to what DICE puts out, but luckily Sledgehammer is working on this one, and their sound design in Advanced Warfare remains the best in the entire series.

SDCowboy

I agree. Sound has always been lackluster in COD games when compared to what DICE puts out, but luckily Sledgehammer is working on this one, and their sound design in Advanced Warfare remains the best in the entire series.

I'll never understand why the gun sounds in COD typically have been so bad. Is it that hard to have realistic gun sounds? The guns in Battlefield games sound amazing.

Yoday

I'll never understand why the gun sounds in COD typically have been so bad. Is it that hard to have realistic gun sounds? The guns in Battlefield games sound amazing.
I've always wondered the same thing. It's like their audio engine never made the leap to the HD era. The first two games sounded great for their time, but everything after that has always sounded super weak in comparison to everything else. To be fair it's hard for any developer to have to compare to DICE in sound design, but COD trailed just about everything in that department. It's like their afraid to use low frequencies or something.

Rbk_3

Damn, I was really hoping for MW2 Remastered, and I doubt we will get it with this game. We will get WAW if anything.

strafer

Another SPR gif. The opening is just something else man.

You know, it's pretty disgusting how little cover they had on the beach, I don't think we will ever really know how it must have felt running up that beach.

Some of the bravest men is for damn sure.

LLZUSuC.gif

ew i'll pass. enough of this WW crap. even after the long break it's still not enough. i won't be buying another Battlefield/Cod game until they go back to modern/futuristic settings.

Lmao this has got to be a troll post.
Futuristic setting aka the most easily forgettable cod series i've ever played. Cod2? Still remember it like day 1!

Top Bottom