• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty WW2 Reviews

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
imageedit_1_6890611954.jpg

(Updated: see below)

Found a review:

All in all, Call of Duty: World War 2 plays like the series’ early hits. By no means is this a bad thing, though the overall formula and package is wearing thin. There are some bright moments in single-player campaign marred by arbitrary stutter and Zombies is always a blast (provided you have friends along for the ride). But the Rs. 4,499 price tag and a mandatory ~10GB patch before you can even play it are deal-breakers for a game as mainstream as this. If you’re looking as a longtime fan, you’re probably going to buy it anyway. Everyone else is better off waiting for a price drop.

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/games/rev...l-of-duty-world-war-2-review-gameplay-1770030

7/10

Con is a mandatory 10 GB patch.

I didn't see another thread and I'm not entirely sure if I can post from this site. Forgive any errors on my part.

A few campaign details, so read with caution.

UPDATE: 11/03/2017

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9.0
World War II was the right move. Call of Duty reaches back to its roots to bring players an entry worthy of the series’ namesake. The campaign is emotional, multiplayer is classic, and Nazi Zombies is downright dark and terrifying. No matter which kind of player you are, there is something for everyone, whether it’s a cinematic story, a competitive and social multiplayer, or an immensely difficult battle against undead Nazis. Call of Duty: WWII is another incredible package of experiences, each distinct from the others, but tied together by the unifying themes of World War II that deserve your attention.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/11/03/call-of-duty-wwii-review-brothers-arms-ps4/

GameInformer - 8.75
While the campaign fails to provide a compelling tale and is often bogged down in uninteresting large-scale slaughter, Call of Duty:WWII nails its multiplayer, new social hub, and zombie modes to provide the back to boot-on-the-ground experience fans have clamored for since the first foray into space.
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/c.../rallying-the-shooter-on-multiple-fronts.aspx

God is a Geek - 9
Call of Duty: World War II is everything I wanted it to be. It’s Call of Duty pre-Modern Warfare 2, but with the contemporary gameplay mechanics we’ve become accustomed to. There’s character progression, customisation and unlocks, while also maintaining boots-on-the-ground, robust combat and limited weaponry. A spectacular release that has a strong chance of becoming a fan favourite as one of the best Call of Duty releases in years.
http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/call-of-duty-wwii-review/

EGM - 8.5
Call of Duty: WWII is built on a foundation of familiarity from which it benefits greatly. The most significant changes to the status quo don’t reinvent the game, but instead take popular ideas from other corners of the genre and effectively implement them without losing what defines a Call of Duty game. Games often try to set their sights exclusively on the horizon in front of them, but Call of Duty: WWII shows us that there is value in taking a look back from whence you came.
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/call-of-duty-wwii-review

Embargo just lifted. 85 Metacritic out of 22 reviews so far: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/call-of-duty-wwii/critic-reviews

It is currently an 86 on Metacritic

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I laughed. 10GB patch is a dealbreaker in an online focused game. Some excellent journalism.

1. Maybe he meant that even for playing single player it requires a patch first so maybe that's weird?
2. NDTV is from India and maybe he means 10gb might take some time for general populace here? Although in past couple of years we've fast internet almost everywhere so I am not really sure.

It definitely doesn't deserve to be called a 'deal breaker' though.

Its a return to form of the older entries?

Thats all i needed to hear.

For multiplayer, I'd say no.

Most old COD 1/2 maps were a lot more large and open bar Carentan. No killstreaks.

WWII's multiplayer felt like current gen COD, tight maps focused on corner popping machine gun sprays and shotguns. Killstreaks going off every 20-30 seconds.

mandatory ~10GB patch before you can even play it are deal-breakers

Meh. I have to download the whole thing any way since I bought it on PC. It'll just sit there for a bit longer while I play Wolf 2.

xviper

even if COD WW2 or any upcoming COD becomes as good as ps3\x360's COD games, it won't bring back the players because most of them has moved on to different games like Overwatch, R6S and Early access steam bullshit, most of COD players now are probably newcomers, people like me who played since COD 4 are done with the series

COD has had it's run, it's a legendary series and no one can denies that, most of us had insane amount of fun in COD last generation, it's what stands out of the ps3\x360 gen, 1 series dominated an entire generation, it's a masterpiece and the most fun i had in any online gaming franchise

but it's time is over like many other gaming franchises, the new king is Overwatch

IndustryX

even if COD WW2 or any upcoming COD becomes as good as ps3\x360's COD games, it won't bring back the players because most of them has moved on to different games like Overwatch, R6S and Early access steam bullshit, most of COD players now are probably newcomers, people like me who played since COD 4 are done with the series

COD has had it's run, it's a legendary series and no one can denies that, most of us had insane amount of fun in COD last generation, it's what stands out of the ps3\x360 gen, 1 series dominated an entire generation, it's a masterpiece and the most fun i had in any online gaming franchise

but it's time is over like many other gaming franchises, the new king is Overwatch

This is in no way true. I don't know one person that plays Overwatch and have a huge friends list that played exclusively CoD since CoD 4. None of them play OW.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
even if COD WW2 or any upcoming COD becomes as good as ps3x360's COD games, it won't bring back the players because most of them has moved on to different games like Overwatch, R6S and Early access steam bullshit, most of COD players now are probably newcomers, people like me who played since COD 4 are done with the series

COD has had it's run, it's a legendary series and no one can denies that, most of us had insane amount of fun in COD last generation, it's what stands out of the ps3x360 gen, 1 series dominated an entire generation, it's a masterpiece and the most fun i had in any online gaming franchise

People have been saying this since before Black Ops OG hit.

Still hasn't happened.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Think my patch downloaded the other day (following the psn preload)

Also these days a 10 gig patch is nothing.

I give that review, two middle fingers /10.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Think my patch downloaded the other day (following the psn preload)

Also these days a 10 gig patch is nothing.

I give that review, two middle fingers /10.

That's one of my points against his review.

1. He's been there and done that with the franchise. Doesn't mean a new comer won't lose their mind and enjoy it.
2. If you own a physical game this gen you usually put it in and walk away while it installs.
3. The stutter in the campaign can possibly be fixed by a patch? Well, at least that's the idea.

I think his two cons are valuable reasons to criticize the game, but what would he score it had those things not been there. It's a real slap in the face.

I have to see it to believe it. I feel like I've been an owner of these games more than once and I hate being underhanded by things that I might not be bothered by.

All true except Overwatch. I would argue there isn't any "King" of the shooter genre anymore ala CoD or Halo, who sucked up a large majority of the online population during their peaks. Player count for shooters now is pretty fairly spread out between games such as Overwatch, R6, CSGO, and PUBG (if that counts).

I think it's just the industry getting big enough to where there isn't a single "monopoly" franchise anymore.

Lucumo

Since Call of Duty 4? Hah, you are the newbie here. I dropped the franchise when they tried to present the turd that was Modern Warfare 2.

For multiplayer, I'd say no.

Most old COD 1/2 maps were a lot more large and open bar Carentan. No killstreaks.

WWII's multiplayer felt like current gen COD, tight maps focused on corner popping machine gun sprays and shotguns. Killstreaks going off every 20-30 seconds.

Have they actually ever implemented vehicles again? No, right?

IISANDERII

The tank maps were so good in Worlds at War! One of the greatest feelings I've ever had in gaming is as a soldier going 1 on 1 vs a tank and coming out on top. You had to use all tools and wit, it wasn't easy.

Freeman76

Cod is all about Treyarch now. They should stop the other studios making them and release a Treyarch production every 3 years. MW2 was the last great COD from any of the others for me. The best people left to form respawn.

vocab

Since Call of Duty 4? Hah, you are the newbie here. I dropped the franchise when they tried to present the turd that was Modern Warfare 2.

Yeah MW2 was awful. cod4 was good, and could of used some refinement, other than that it was the best of the series by quite a lot. The community just moved to the newer game every time, even if it was bad.

even if COD WW2 or any upcoming COD becomes as good as ps3x360's COD games, it won't bring back the players because most of them has moved on to different games like Overwatch, R6S and Early access steam bullshit, most of COD players now are probably newcomers, people like me who played since COD 4 are done with the series

COD has had it's run, it's a legendary series and no one can denies that, most of us had insane amount of fun in COD last generation, it's what stands out of the ps3x360 gen, 1 series dominated an entire generation, it's a masterpiece and the most fun i had in any online gaming franchise

Uhh, you act like it's a dead franchise. It's been a top 3 best seller every year and this year will be no different even if it's sales are lower than the past heights.

Also.. Have you not paid attention to the sizeable population drop in Overwatch and overall viewership since launch?

It's big, but it's far from being king of anything.

Have they actually ever implemented vehicles again? No, right?

They have actually. There was a large map in BO3 where there were lots of bipedal mechs scattered about that you could get on and do mech on mech combat. Think Titanfall lite.

It was harshly panned by almost the entire COD player base just like the tank maps in WaW. The majority of COD's active player base is heavily against vehicles and large maps in general. Developers always face backlash whenever they try to experiment with either.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
They have actually. There was a large map in BO3 where there were lots of bipedal mechs scattered about that you could get on and do mech on mech combat. Think Titanfall lite.

It was harshly panned by almost the entire COD player base just like the tank maps in WaW. The majority of COD's active player base is heavily against vehicles and large maps in general. Developers always face backlash whenever they try to experiment with either.
I guess that's where battlefield comes in. Everyone knows COD is where you go for that low TTK run > die repeat gameplay. (I love both franchises BTW)

Shadoken

1. Maybe he meant that even for playing single player it requires a patch first so maybe that's weird?
2. NDTV is from India and maybe he means 10gb might take some time for general populace here? Although in past couple of years we've fast internet almost everywhere so I am not really sure.

It definitely doesn't deserve to be called a 'deal breaker' though.

Most people still have download caps. But as usual , Gaffers in this thread started to bash the reviewer because their favorite game got a point deducted for reasons they dont even understand.

How's a 10gb patch a deal breaker? Who cares.

Gee let me guess , maybe people in a 3rd world country with bandwidth limits.

im_dany

"10GB is nothing" until you remember that there's people around here without fiber stuck on 7Mbps like me. 3 hours before I can even start the campaign? That'd be ridicolous.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Most people still have download caps. But as usual , Gaffers in this thread started to bash the reviewer because their favorite game got a point deducted for reasons they dont even understand.

People buy COD only for single player? And in 3rd world countries to boot?

I "get" shitty internet believe me but being outraged at a 10 gig patch in this day and age with all the other fuckery going on in the world just seems like outrage for outrages sake.

PantsuJo

Even people in Europe with bad connections and/or download caps, trust me :(

Gamezone

Gold Member
I laughed. 10GB patch is a dealbreaker in an online focused game. Some excellent journalism.

Doesn't fucking matter when they choose to lock the offline portion behind it. I love the fact that media gives them a lower score because of anti consumer BS.

Neff

Even people in Europe with bad connections and/or download caps, trust me :(

Exactly. I upgraded my line because I was sick of having to watch my meter and endure slow speeds (10gb would have been an all-day task at least). Not everyone has fast, limitless internet, or the option of having it. The reviewer is absolutely right to point out a mandatory 10gb patch as a flaw.

phant0m

Yeah MW2 was awful. cod4 was good, and could of used some refinement, other than that it was the best of the series by quite a lot. The community just moved to the newer game every time, even if it was bad.

BLOPS 1+2 both had very long tails of community that stayed with them though.

I "get" shitty internet believe me but being outraged at a 10 gig patch in this day and age with all the other fuckery going on in the world just seems like outrage for outrages sake.

Does this really blow your mind so much? Fuck.

With regard to the 10gig patch are they saying that it's literally unplayable in SP until you update it?

Like if you have a terrible or non-existent connection it's just useless?

I'd disagree. I'd say if you live in a part of the world that has shitty internet or data caps, having to download 10GB before you can play the game, seems like a legitimate criticism for the game.

Rellik

The SP on COD is the only thing that interests me. Shocking news.

MDSLKTR

I feel like I'm seeing this post every year... For the past five years. Do you happen to look at NPD charts once in a while? Let alone total year sales numbers?

maybe he meant the fact that millions upon millions that buy COD play through the single player and never touch the game again.

Maybe a portion of those won't have their systems hooked up to the internet? Idk, I'm just spitballing here...it's really hard to understand how people would be upset by a game that's never been advertised as online only (exactly the opposite actually, for at least 2 out of 3 pillars of the franchise) suddenly being impossible to play day 1 without a large patch.

Really easy to crap on media outlets as a knee jerk reaction than take the 4 seconds required to understand the issue to even a surface level degree.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It appears IGN and Polygon both have reviews in-progress. IGN apparently didn't send anyone to the review event. Polygon has a pre-review.

IGN
If you’re in Australia or New Zealand, Call of Duty: WW2 is out right now, and the multiplayer servers have gone live! And, because IGN elected not to send a reviewer to Activision’s review event, that means our review begins now. Our own Miranda Sanchez is on the case, and we’re aiming to have the full review published early next week.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/11/02/call-of-duty-ww2-review

Polygon

Call of Duty: WWII is one of the better looking games of the year, and the series continues to deliver spectacle in a reliable way.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...6264/call-of-duty-wwii-pre-review-world-war-2

Lucifon

I'm actually really hyped to play this this weekend. Got a few friends which haven't bought cod in years picking it up. The whole "get the squad back together" marketing angle is actually pretty true for my friend group.

I had fun with the beta especially War mode. It was a nice change of pace coming off recent cods. Going to hold off on the campaign until my X arrives though.

Big Blue

This is in no way true. I don't know one person that plays Overwatch and have a huge friends list that played exclusively CoD since CoD 4. None of them play OW.

Weren't IW sales down 50% from Black Ops 3? COD is not the juggernaut that it once was.

I enjoyed what I played at E3 and the beta so I'll be picking this up tonight. Thankfully with the Best Buy GCU and multiple reward certificates I have saved up this will only be around $30 for me.

Top Bottom