• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty WW2 Reviews

maybe he meant the fact that millions upon millions that buy COD play through the single player and never touch the game again.

Maybe a portion of those won't have their systems hooked up to the internet? Idk, I'm just spitballing here...it's really hard to understand how people would be upset by a game that's never been advertised as online only (exactly the opposite actually, for at least 2 out of 3 pillars of the franchise) suddenly being impossible to play day 1 without a large patch.

Really easy to crap on media outlets as a knee jerk reaction than take the 4 seconds required to understand the issue to even a surface level degree.

So which is the knee jerk reaction, me laughing at some ridiculous hyperbole or a guy who gets paid to write about games calling a patch a dealbreaker?

One X, how is this even a question? It's native 4k on X with enhancements over the Pro, and you get to play with a far superior controller (for shooter) that was originally/specifically designed around shooters.

i wouldn't disagree but where have we seen the actual specs of the XOX version?

norm9

The only question I have is how it compares to World at War. That campaign was really really good (minus the grenades raining down from the heavens).

The commercial for WW2 makes it look boring.

Kid Ying

Since Call of Duty 4? Hah, you are the newbie here. I dropped the franchise when they tried to present the turd that was Modern Warfare 2.
If you think mw2 was a turd, man... It got much worse.

I've played ever since the first cod, way back there, but after ghosts i simply couldnt anymore.

And i even like mw2. MW3 is much worse. Black ops 1 though is preeeetty good

Gitaroo

One X, how is this even a question? It's native 4k on X with enhancements over the Pro, and you get to play with a far superior controller (for shooter) that was originally/specifically designed around shooters.

Highly doubt that one x version is even close to 4k if the one S can't even hit 1080p. Guess MS marketing is working and got most people thinking its really a 4k console lol.

Lucumo

If you think mw2 was a turd, man... It got much worse.

I've played ever since the first cod, way back there, but after ghosts i simply couldnt anymore.

And i even like mw2. MW3 is much worse. Black ops 1 though is preeeetty good

All my friends who used to play 1, 2 and 4 on LANs with me that still bought MW 2 for whatever reason quit the series entirely as well afterwards, haha. But yeah, I usually heard the moaning about the series in several forums (this one included).

I have 7 hours 6 mins logged on multiplayer. Big call of duty guy here. I will say the servers are absolute trash and so is the hit detection. Had so many games rubber banding around the map. No way these servers hold up tonight.

F40

Neo Member
Highly doubt that one x version is even close to 4k if the one S can't even hit 1080p. Guess MS marketing is working and got most people thinking its really a 4k console lol.

I thought it was 4k on Pro and X. Guess they meant checkerboard 4k.

All my friends who used to play 1, 2 and 4 on LANs with me that still bought MW 2 for whatever reason quit the series entirely as well afterwards, haha. But yeah, I usually heard the moaning about the series in several forums (this one included).

MW2 is honestly godlike compared to any of the shit that came after Black Ops 1.

Coming from CoD4 it was ridiculously stupid though. Easily the most broken game I've ever played, and I'm not even counting the models.

This thread shouldn’t have been started with the only review being that single worthless one.

I agree. This isn't much of a review thread when we only have a single review out. Not to mention that review glosses over much of the multiplayer because it was done before servers went public.

The only question I have is how it compares to World at War. That campaign was really really good (minus the grenades raining down from the heavens).

The commercial for WW2 makes it look boring.

If the first mission is anything to go by, oh man. Very linear, very scripted. Button mashing qtes return from cod3, the game constantly takes control away from you as you watch in-game cutscenes. There's a moment where you have to drag a comrade and all your doing is holding the left stick. There's a trophy for doing it 9 times...dear god if its mandatory each time.

Sometimes I toy with the idea of playing them all (single player campaigns) from COD4 - and onward back to back. Wondering if that would be a good experience? Has anyone done this?

I played Black Ops single player campaign and that one was really good. I loved the Vietnam era bits. Very atmospheric setpieces.

wipeout364

Sometimes I toy with the idea of playing them all (single player campaigns) from COD4 - and onward back to back. Wondering if that would be a good experience? Has anyone done this?

I played Black Ops single player campaign and that one was really good. I loved the Vietnam era bits. Very atmospheric setpieces.

You have arguably played the best one, although I personally liked MW, Advanced warfare, infinite warfare and MW2 as well. Ghosts, BO2, BO3, MW3 and world at war were not good as far as campaigns go IMO. That said any COD campaign is miles above the best Battlefield campaign.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Since Call of Duty 4? Hah, you are the newbie here. I dropped the franchise when they tried to present the turd that was Modern Warfare 2.

Have they actually ever implemented vehicles again? No, right?
Yup MW2 was when it started going downhill

TVexperto

Cant believe this is scoring so high ... game journalism at its best ... did any review say sth about the loot boxes dropping from the sky? Or did they once again ignore that aspect?

RC0101

If it had the original zombies map (that house where you had to board up the windows) I would buy it just for that.

Cant believe this is scoring so high ... game journalism at its best ... did any review say sth about the loot boxes dropping from the sky? Or did they once again ignore that aspect?

Loot boxes are the least of this games problems.

And all these high mark reviews are so full of shit when the fundamental problems with this series hasn't been fixed. Yep, netcode, spawns, and tiny swiss cheese map design are still present and make the mp still suck.

Overboost

The core game is really, really solid. Loving the campaign so far (8 missions in), Zombies is the best it's ever been IMO (thanks Dead Space team), and while MP has some issues with servers to sort out, so far I'm having more fun than I did with Black Ops 3 at launch, mainly because of War mode. Best thing to happen to MP in years.

And the loot boxes are supply drops, which actually dropped down from the sky in WW2 and other wars, so... thematically, don't see why they would affect review scores. Everything in them is cosmetic so far and you can't buy them yet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airdrop

If it had the original zombies map (that house where you had to board up the windows) I would buy it just for that.

You're looking for this: https://www.callofduty.com/zombieschronicles

Includes all the old Treyarch maps including the first one you're talking about, remastered in Black Ops 3. But Zombies in WWII is reaaaaaaally good.

gabriex555

Neo Member
Really liking the zombie mode in this! As a HUGE Treyarch zombies fan the change of pace is pretty nice
Also, first post! :D

Dude where the heck is the one x patch!?

Lmao I just came here to post the same thing! Haha I Tweeted Michael at Sledgehammer on Twitter last night about this, he has yet to get back to me.

This guy don't get back to anyone, not sure why i even try anymore. This is probably the 20th tweet question (all legit) i sent the man in the past 6 or so months with no response. He's like my mother with a cell phone, why have one if you don't answer! lol

Crew 511A

I'm passing on COD this year. I didn't really care for the beta, and I still enjoy MWR for my COD fix. My biggest problem is that I just have too much of a backlog at the moment.

That being said, my friends list feed on Xbox Live seems to be blowing up over the game. A lot of the people I used to play AW with are back to playing COD after a 2 or 3 year sabbatical. I see lots of positive comments and game clips being posted again. Looks like COD might be back. Here's hoping Treyarch releases a modern day game next year and has a campaign that doesn't resemble an acid trip.

Overboost

Man, if Jeff is even this down on it............. Then I'm not that optimistic. :/
I remember him saying on the Bombcast that, after playing Advanced Warfare (his GOTY that year) he basically only wants to play Call of Duty games with advanced movement. No surprise that he doesn't like WWII.

Top Bottom