• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can Mario U's music be patched?

thirty

Banned
No I'll just wait. The way I see it if they do better with galaxy I'll get the console with more space and galaxy packed in or same space with galaxy for 50 to 75 cheaper or even better if I just buy the console used. Be able to pick up old titles on the cheap too.

Hiltz

IGN: Many fans have complained that Nintendo was incredibly lazy with having recycled the music for New SMBU. This also isn't the first time Nintendo's been accused of this.

Reggie: What are you saying ?

IGN: The music sucks, can you remake it via patch update ?

Reggie: ... One second. *gets text message from Iwata*

I've just been informed that New SMBU has sold 5 million copies in its first month of release.

IGN: And ?

Reggie: And Mr. Iwata says "Fuck you."

Muku

then you probably eat cereal without milk and think that's OK.

Nothing wrong with times eating cereal without milk. :p

It's just the fact this series music has not changed that bothers me. I never liked it, so this isn't a hive mind thing. I just think it sounds horrible. Maybe just because it seems like it plays it too often within the piece.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't think it's ridiculous to bring up the fact, but to expect or hope Nintendo will do anything about it seems out of place. I have enough old Mario music in iTunes that I can play that will sound better anyway. :p

Seik

Banned
IGN: Many fans have complained that Nintendo was incredibly lazy with having recycled the music for New SMBU. This also isn't the first time Nintendo's been accused of this.

Reggie: What are you saying ?

IGN: The music sucks, can you remake it via patch update ?

Reggie: ... One second. *gets text message from Iwata*

I've just been informed that New SMBU has sold 5 million copies in its first month of release.

IGN: And ?

Reggie: And Mr. Iwata says "Fuck you."

Holy shit!

:lol

pswii60

Why would you pass on the console because of one game? Were you just going to buy it for NSMBU? That's kind of silly.

I'm getting my Wii U at UK launch for NSMBU only too. There are no other games at launch that I want! I mean, seriously. Rayman Origins, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Pikmin 3.... all 2013. Am I stupid not waiting until next year? Definitely. But I've never been sensible with my cash.

Aeana

Each NSMB game has gotten some new music on top of the reuse from past games. NSMBU has new overworld and athletic themes, and I think a couple of others. I like the U ones much better than the ones past games have had, but I agree that it's still not at the level of quality that I'd like.

Instro

It's pretty disappointing considering how much personality the old sidescrollers had in the music department. It's not like they need an orchestrated score like Galaxy, but much like how they overhauled the backgrounds, they should have made some some changes to the music direction.

Love NSMBU so far though, great game.

Each NSMB game has gotten some new music on top of the reuse from past games. NSMBU has new overworld and athletic themes, and I think a couple of others. I like the U ones much better than the ones past games have had, but I agree that it's still not at the level of quality that I'd like.
Haha, the wahs start within 5 seconds in both.

Aeana

Haha, the wahs start within 5 seconds in both.
I personally have no problems at all with the wah wahs, I'd just like some music that's more interesting stylistically than most of what these games have. I actually think the choral wah that baby yoshi adds to the music is adorable.

There are flashes of brilliance in both NSMBW and NSMBU, though. Especially the world 9 music from NSMBW, which reminds me so very much of Mario Kart 64's Rainbow Road.

I dunno if they have custom soundtracks on WiiU but is it possible for nintendo to patch the nsmb soundtrack? They have to know we're sick of it and its a blight on the series. I'm literally passing on the Wii U simply because after a few BAW BAWs I turn the games off when I attempt to try the new ones. Couldn't take that long to remix some classic Mario tunes eh? Is it possible?
Might as well say, "Can The Dark Knight's music be patched? After the first few BOOM BOOMs I turn it off. If not I will pass on Bluray."

I blame this sort of mentality on today's iCulture.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Might as well say, "Can The Dark Knight's music be patched? After the first few BOOM BOOMs I turn it off. If not I will pass on Bluray."

I'd settle for Bain's voice to be patched.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This may be the most overblown non-issue of the whole Wii U launch. It really really isn't anywhere near as bad as you people make it out to be.

thirty

Banned

It has nothing to do with the iCulture and everything to do with not much being put into music these days. I haven't used a custom soundtrack since project gotham xbox. Scratch that, sega rally live but just for the original soundtrack. Ridge racer hasn't had a decent soundtrack in 10 years but It's nice to be able to fall back on music from older games or remixed stuff if the new stuff is lacking

This is some of the absolute laziest shit in the videogame industry.

I absolutely love 3D land but I have no idea why Nintendo gets away with this shit. It's disgusting. As a consumer I just can't reward this lack of care and craft and just sheer laziness.

Its been my opinion since this.

new-super-mario-bros-20060306011305230.jpg

Blown up to this size I just realized how fucking creepy Mario's lips are.

Also yeah, the music in the New series lacks flavor of any sort, regardless of wahs or no wahs. A real shame, considering how good Galaxy's music is.

Kokonoe

Banned

I absolutely love 3D land but I have no idea why Nintendo gets away with this shit. It's disgusting. As a consumer I just can't reward this lack of care and craft and just sheer laziness.

People want their Mario, and they'd rather have something than nothing. I don't really blame people for doing this (I bought the game myself) but I think it's rather cumbersome that Nintendo doesn't care for the fans that much with NSMB games to even change up the OST while charging a premium of 60$ for the game.

The levels are the same old song and dance you've seen before if you've played the games, it's like they just don't even try with this series because they know it'll sell regardless, and that's a shame. I didn't even realize I was in a Cake Desert till after a few levels where I saw the title of the area, just looked like the same deserts from before just with more light sand at the top.

On the contrary I think just the opposite. Adding a custom soundtrack option is far easier than what Koji Kondo does.

Cipherr

Of course it's possible. It's not going to happen, but it's possible.

Pretty much. I was fully prepared for the new console gen onslaught of topics about the WiiU, but Im surprising even myself at how annoyed I am by them. Some of these seems like parodies of the madness.

I'd settle for Bain's voice to be patched.

Hah, there were a few times where I couldnt understand him during the movie. Kind of annoying.

thirty

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rslltp7zSks

When compared at the relative level of Old Super Mario Brothers.

Also, Whatever happened to the steel drum from the originals? It always sounded like a vacation whenever I would play the orginal.

Holy shit this sounds better than anything in the nsbm series. I'm also partial to this one by the Mario freaks orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbziPUIPqXk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's very lazy and they need to be called out on it. If you aren't going to invest in music why should I invest 60 on the game? Should be 40.

Holy shit this sounds better than anything in the nsbm series. I'm also partial to this one by the Mario freaks orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbziPUIPqXk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's very lazy and they need to be called out on it. If you aren't going to invest in music why should I invest 60 on the game? Should be 40.

Mario Land was the shit

I think the layering of different instruments is what's missing from the newer track. NSMB has a monotone "learn to play acoustic" sound going on while other tracks (Galaxy, 3D Land, Land, and Old World) have percussion, wind, and charm.

Even Mario 64 had WAH WAH without ruining it + Steel drum

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Even though Super Mario RPG has its music handled by square, that's some real kick ass classic Mario sounding music. Some of my favorite from a Mario game.

thirty

Banned
Wow now that I'm looking at that Mario land video I wonder how Mario land would translate to todays graphics? It had a totally different art style. Surely due to tech but it looks almost more grown up and less cartoony

Oh god the SML games were so horrible. D:

They were Little Big Planet floaty... but hey! Portable Mario!

Wow now that I'm looking at that Mario land video I wonder how Mario land would translate to todays graphics? It had a totally different art style. Surely due to tech but it looks almost more grown up and less cartoony

The game was developed without Shigeru Miyamoto and had enemies that never existed ever again.

Top Bottom