• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can Mario U's music be patched?

CassSept

Bu-... the enemies dance to the BAW BAWs.

I think it's cute...

I found it cute.... 6.5 years ago. By now what Nintendo is doing with NSMB music is insulting. I'd understand if they'd at least compose several tunes but no, nearly everything is ripped straight from NSMBW. The series is good, but asset reuse reached ridiculous levels.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
It's not going to happen, but part of me wishes they swapped the music with hair metal.
That would be glorious.

moondeath

Neo Member
You can't ask them to remove Wahs! or Bahs!, It's their new comercial way to introduce the future WahBah! A new brand console with a voice control pad.

Gustav

Banned
Each NSMB game has gotten some new music on top of the reuse from past games. NSMBU has new overworld and athletic themes, and I think a couple of others. I like the U ones much better than the ones past games have had, but I agree that it's still not at the level of quality that I'd like.

Holy shit - the wah's are annoying. Anyone of you US Gaf know if I can turn off the music in the options menu?

This is suddenly everyone's opinion after last week's Bombcast.
People have been complaining about this for years. Hell prerelease, lots of people brought up the shitty music. The GAF ot even makes a joke about in the title.

Anyway, I just play the games on mute. Nintendo doesnt care or thinks its good, so whatever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nintendo: BAH!

Seriously, that's a good one. "We realize how lazy we were with the game's music. Here, have a patch to get rid of the recycled soundtrack we shamelessly put on the game".

Next you'll ask them to create new assets.

While I agree that the music is definitely terrible, that one is just condensing and hypocritical.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I don't get the hate for the BAW-BAWs. I think you guys need to chill a bit and don't get so angry at trivial stuff. Just mute it if you dislike the music and put a track on the PC that you do like, then. Simple as that.

Madao

i think the fact they reused a ton of music from NSMBW is what is getting people mad. even Mario Galaxy 2 had new music for most of the game and recycled very little and that was a sequel on the same hardware as its predecessor.
i know i was like "eh?" when i started feeling like i was playing NSMBW again due to the recycled music.
this is excluding the quality of the music itself.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You people are all nuts. I don't like recycling music but the actual music itself is the same Mario music as always. A few 'bah' sounds shouldn't get people into such a frenzy, you all sound deranged. I bet you all hate Tingle too.

You people are all nuts. I don't like recycling music but the actual music itself is the same Mario music as always. A few 'bah' sounds shouldn't get people into such a frenzy, you all sound deranged. I bet you all hate Tingle too.
A few bahs in an increasing number of tracks over the course of four games. The same Mario music as always, you dont say.

Yeah I hate tingle and his stupid maps.

Socreges

Banned
This is suddenly everyone's opinion after last week's Bombcast.
First off, I don't know what a Bombcast is (guessing Giantbomb's podcast).

Secondly, no. Criticisms of NSMBW were the same. Then NSMB2 came along and nothing changed. The fact that NSMBU, a higher profile game and yet another NSMB game, has the same music... is several magnitudes worse.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A few bahs in an increasing number of tracks over the course of four games. The same Mario music as always, you dont say.

Yeah I hate tingle and his stupid maps.

I knew it. The 'bahs' are your punishment for banishing Tingle from Zelda.

Synless

I have always thought the music sucked in these NSMB games, they are worse even than the Mario Kart soundtracks. What's worse, is the fact yet reused music from the other games. The lazy bastards couldn't even come up with a remix of those tracks. I don't know how such huge franchises can get stuck using whatever uninspired shit composer they have been stuck with.

Comandr

A game's music is a tremendous influence for me in whether or not I actually finish the game. It's one of those small things that you either relish, or nag you at the back of your mind.

Examples of when music enhances the game:

1) Boss fights in Skyrim
2) Normal and boss fights in almost any Nobuo Final Fantasy
3) Yoko Shimomura
4) Much of Sonic's early years
5) Early Mario games & Galaxy

These are just a few examples, and certainly not all inclusive of great music in games out there. I find myself whistling or humming a lot of these tunes randomly during the day.

However, there are plenty of examples of BAD video game music that detract from the experience. If I have to turn off the sound because I can't stand your music, you did something terribly, horribly wrong.

Examples of when music detracts from the game experience:

1) Boss fights in Blue Dragon.
2) Knuckles rap in Sonic Adventure 2.
3) The entire musical selection for the NSMB series.
4) Virtually any vocal track in a game that otherwise doesn't feature vocals. Few exceptions.

I never got around to playing NSMB (DS), Stopped playing NSMBWii after world 1, because I couldn't stand the music. Stopped playing NSMB2 after world 4 because I couldn't stand the music OR the gameplay.

The only reason I'm even considering getting NSMBU is because my roommates are totally gonzo over this style of 2D Mario and its something we can all play together.

That damn music though. It's going to take an experience that could harken back to the golden era of Super Mario World and sully it with its Newness.

I leave you with this. http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/video-game-music

Mr. RHC

I checked the game to see if the music is bad, and it really isn't. And I don't think it can be patched.

Edit: I also think there should be a new GOTY category: SOTY: Sound of the Year, the BAH(Wah), BAH(wah) really deserves it!

I have always thought the music sucked in these NSMB games, they are worse even than the Mario Kart soundtracks. What's worse, is the fact yet reused music from the other games. The lazy bastards couldn't even come up with a remix of those tracks. I don't know how such huge franchises can get stuck using whatever uninspired shit composer they have been stuck with.
Koji Kondo is not a shit artist. Maybe he is bored and thats why this music sucks.

Synless

Koji Kondo is not a shit artist. Maybe he is bored and thats why this music sucks.
Fine, than he is uninspired. What difference does it make? If you can't pull your shit together to try and make a decent soundtrack or at least one that doesn't recycle tracks from previous games then give it to someone who wants to care and put forth effort.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Examples of when music enhances the game:

1) Boss fights in Skyrim
2) Normal and boss fights in almost any Nobuo Final Fantasy
3) Yoko Shimomura
4) Much of Sonic's early years
5) Early Mario games & Galaxy

I dunno, it felt more like "we're trying really hard to make this bland combat epic with this generic choral music!"

The key difference here is while Tingle is a charming, eccentric character people too often completely misinterpret, NSMB music is God's punishment to us for living.

It's not going to happen, but part of me wishes they swapped the music with hair metal.
That would be glorious.

I want Bizarre and King Gordy to make the music for Mario games. The lyrics would be about fucking Goombas up the ass until they bleed and making necklaces out of Bowser's innards.

gerudoman

I've to admit that I've always liked the NSMB theme, I think it's as catchy and cheerful as any other 2D Mario main themes. Of course I've grown tired of listening it in most levels in 3 different games (haven't played U yet) but it's by no means a bad song.

I'm surprised that people doesn't complaint more about the graphics, art style and the lack of originality in the world's themes, we've playing 4 games that look and sound pretty much the same.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
To me, the main offense is the castle music. It blows. And SMW has the most awesome castle music in the history of castle music. If I owned a castle, I would have that shit on loop.

Bah Bah Wah Wah is the video game equivalent of Pol Pot or perhaps the Great Leap Forward. It must be dealt with.

Top Bottom