• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can Mario U's music be patched?

Luigison

I'm still a bit puzzled by the complaints, given that I've finished the first world and the music is, generally, new music.

I've heard complaint after complaint about recycled music, but the majority of the music -is- new. Granted, it appears to be 3-4 variations on the same new tune, but I was reading posts where folks literally said all the music was pulled from the prior games.

Does the reuse get worse later than "underground and castle themes" being used?

Although I have NSMBU, I wasn't able to get a Wii U to play it on so can someone record some of the tunes that are supposedly copied. I'd like to play them side-by-side with the originals to compare myself.

Technically the bah bah is pretty recognizable...:(

Out of the blue the other day my six-year-old daughter started doing (singing, humming, ...?) Bah bah NSMB songs.

Bu-... the enemies dance to the BAW BAWs.

I think it's cute...

I had noticed the enemies dancing before, but the first time I really became aware of them dancing to the Bahs was when playing with the sound really low: I'd went to jump on a Koopa, but he danced and therefor wasn't where I'd expected him to be causing me to hit him and die.

Madao

i only have the video of when i beat the game but music mostly from the ghost house levels, the poisoned forest levels, the desert levels and the lava levels are directly ripped from NSMBW. i might be forgetting others but those were the ones that were instantly recognizable.

cand

I think if the new series had completly different songs for each iteration people would hate less... Just this, without changing anything more.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
i only have the video of when i beat the game but music mostly from the ghost house levels, the poisoned forest levels, the desert levels and the lava levels are directly ripped from NSMBW. i might be forgetting others but those were the ones that were instantly recognizable.

The castle levels too are from that game too.

Nintendo got EXTREMELY lazy on the soundtrack here. Ridiculous.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The thing that REALLY gets me is that Nintendo Land actually features *AWESOME* music. It gave me faith that they can still create upbeat, catchy tunes. Why they didn't take that approach with Mario U is beyond me. A great soundtrack could have elevated Mario U to new heights.

dark10x

The music is fine, stop trying to find reasons to bitch.
It is not fine.

It's been an issue with the New series since its inception.

I maintain that a great soundtrack can massively enhance any platformer and a bad soundtrack can detract. Mario U is every bit as generic as the old Crash games and Jak and Daxter. It hurts the game.

WillyFive

It is not fine.

I maintain that a great soundtrack can massively enhance any platformer and a bad soundtrack can detract. Mario U is every bit as generic as the old Crash games and Jak and Daxter. It hurts the game.

NSMB games have great music, its Nintendo's laziness to do any new music since the 2006 game that gets on my nerves.

I dunno if they have custom soundtracks on WiiU but is it possible for nintendo to patch the nsmb soundtrack? They have to know we're sick of it and its a blight on the series. I'm literally passing on the Wii U simply because after a few BAW BAWs I turn the games off when I attempt to try the new ones. Couldn't take that long to remix some classic Mario tunes eh? Is it possible?
Wow.

dark10x

NSMB games have great music, its Nintendo's laziness to do any new music since the 2006 game that gets on my nerves.
Well I've hated it since 2006 and it's only grown more annoying with each re-use. At least with a handheld game I often play with sound turned down, but with a console title, I expect more.

I have no problem with the music. Makes me happy-ish.
They could have taken the trouble to make a bit of new music though.
But it fits their "lets's make profit as large as possible because fucktard customers will buy anything we shit out of our asses theory"

Galang

Banned
I don't even care about the bahs, but reusing the same music is so distasteful. There's no valid excuse they can give for doing this. The game will sell fairly well no matter what so its not like they couldn't of burned money for an all new soundtrack. I hope this is brought to their attention because its really pathetic sorry to say. I'm glad we won't have to see another one of the nsmb games for five years at least to be honest. As fun as the games are... a whole lot of the assets overall feel reused and not "new" at all. The fact they can't even think of new level settings is a whole other disappointment.

Soul_Pie

The music is fine, stop trying to find reasons to bitch.

The music for the NSMB games has not ever been close to fine, and not only that it is is reused constantly from game to game, and for someone who values the audio side of games immensely this is not a matter of bitching, this is a matter of my enjoyment of a game series that I really love.

Listening to the beautiful Mario Galaxy soundtrack which featured so much care and effort (you know the kind of thing they used to put into the old 2d mario games) makes it so sad that the same kind of effort can't be made to create something wonderful sounding in the 2d games which I used to love. No ambition whatsoever, in fact the music is characteristic of a series that just doesn't give a crap about making anything other than a run of the mill cash in every time.

And to think people are using sales numbers as a justification for this laziness is beyond me, to me it makes it worse that they have all this money at their disposal and this is the best they can come up with.

WillyFive

Well I've hated it since 2006 and it's only grown more annoying with each re-use. At least with a handheld game I often play with sound turned down, but with a console title, I expect more.

That's too bad. Never understood the 'bah' complaints, music from each Mario game is flavored a different way, and NSMB had a very catchy and enjoyable upbeat flavor. Great melodies too.

Sure, its not as good as SMW or SMG 1+2, but better than SMB3 or SML2.

zoukka

It is not fine.

You just have shit taste son. Crash 2 has a sublime soundtrack.

Also "bah wah" seems to have taken the cross as the goto Nintendo complaint of this launch lol. It's the new waggle.

Richie

While I agree that the music is definitely terrible, that one is just condensing and hypocritical.

Ah, take it easy man. Amma jokin'. I'd very much welcome new assets and animations, but it's not like I really pay much attention to that while playing.

Revven

I'm not exactly sure how it worked, but could somebody potentially do a Project M style thing like they did to Brawl?

What, you mean replace music via SD Card? That wouldn't work for Wii U games right now. For Wii games though? Like, the original NSMBW? Yes, you could do that... except that involves ISO hacking and/or Riivolution.

Could Nintendo allow us to replace music via SD Card? They could. Could they allow us to use our external HDDs to transfer music to a custom soundtrack style thing like PS3? Yes, they could. Will they? No, as the functionality right now is not there.

They could very well patch-in said feature... as it's oddly excluded from the feature set of the Wii U.

thirty

Banned
It breaks the 4th wall, to me. Are you telling me this is music Bowser is playing over level-covering speakers? Why the fuck are aware of the music?!

Lol holy shit. Could the music be purposely some horribly bad muzak played over a pa system by bowser to hypnotize the koopas and that's why they dance? That's some wizard of oz type shit Hahaha

P.s. I also stopped playing sonic adventure 2 at the knuckles rap. Those levels lasted way too long to have that grating shit playing. Imagine if the knuckles rap was somehow shoehorned into every sonic game after adventure 2. Sega would be burned at the stake but nintendo gets a pass. No reason for it.

I wish we had as many gameplay threads on GAF as we do threads about game dressings (graphics, sound, ect.).

You should start it, even though it's pretty disingenuous to think graphics/sound isn't a huge part of what makes said games interesting or engaging.

The music is fine. It's not Super Mario Galaxy's awesome orchestra but it's alright. It's weird that people would pass on the game just because of some unoffensive music.

Randdalf

What, you mean replace music via SD Card? That wouldn't work for Wii U games right now. For Wii games though? Like, the original NSMBW? Yes, you could do that... except that involves ISO hacking and/or Riivolution.

Could Nintendo allow us to replace music via SD Card? They could. Could they allow us to use our external HDDs to transfer music to a custom soundtrack style thing like PS3? Yes, they could. Will they? No, as the functionality right now is not there.

They could very well patch-in said feature... as it's oddly excluded from the feature set of the Wii U.

Ah yeah, I was talking about a world where somebody had already hacked the Wii U.

Dr.Hadji

You should start it, even though it's pretty disingenuous to think graphics/sound isn't a huge part of what makes said games interesting or engaging.

I should. There are certain level mechanical-themes for example that appear throughout the 2d Marios since Bros. 3. Its fairly interesting comparing them across all the games and seeing what new dynamics are created. For example the differences between a Bros 3. ghosthouse-like levels, World's Ghosthouses, and New2's Ghosthouses are fairly distinct.

jluedtke

I must be crazy. When I started playing 1-1 and saw the Goombas hopping in sync to the "Wah-Wah", I laughed and thought it was cool.

This seems to be yet another case of a couple people on the internet complaining about something completely harmless until it snowballs into massive nerd outrage.

Passing on a WiiU completely because of the music in a couple Mario levels? That's some hardcore Comic Book Store Guy/Ain't It Cool News nerd stuff right there.

pvpness

I feel like they're trolling the music haters with Mario U, what with even the pudgy Yoshi's singing. Doesn't bother me. Not surprised people here say they can't play a game because of the music. thisisneogaf after all.

Can all music in modern video games be patched? None of it really holds up to the iconic stuff from when I was young and impressionable.

Top Bottom