• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

niunhuiio

I can. When I was 9 or so there was a stage in Mario Strikers Charged that always made the cutscenes choppy. I think it was The Vice?
Needless to say I never picked that stage because of that, when I was little and knew nothing about FPS. I knew I wanted 60FPS.

10/11

I messed up on the helicopter one, mostly because I couldn't see jack shit out the windows.

It's really easy to notice when there's a lot of movement; everything seems smoother.

XBP

7/11. Could have been 5/11 as i guessed two of the comparisons. I guess I'm one of those people.

Kevyt

Wow I got 11/11!!!

I haven't played any of those games so it was a bit hard. What I was looking at mostly was the camera movement. In Max Payne 3 and other titles there was a lot of camera movement so it was easier to know which one was 60 FPS... Also a lot of the animations were smoother in 60 FPS while at 30 FPS some things looked a bit sluggish. Yet I would say this is because I was looking at both versions side by side, but if I was looking at one of them independently I probably would have scored lower.

Race the sun almost got me, but for other games, the difference is apparently clear the moment the camera scrolls. No way anyone could miss that.

Capra

11/11

Most of them only took me a few seconds - the helicopter and Ninja Turtles being the only exceptions. Everything else was pretty much night and day.

BPoole

Finally got home and was able to take this. Scored just as I figured

fpso8udw.png

I have played 2 games that were 30fps in the past 3 years, which were Dark Souls on PS3 and South Park on PC. 30fps is so noticeable to me

Varna

The last one was a bit tricky at the start.

It's very noticeable visually, even more so when you actually compare actually playing the game. Can't think of a single genre that doesn't benefit greatly.

Davey Cakes

11/11.

That was pretty damn easy.

People who say they can't tell a difference are absolutely full of it, unless they have issues with their vision.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
11/11

only one I had doubts was the helicopter one. That was fun, some of them were insta clicks heh

edit: and I have TERRIBLE eyesight

Is this broken? Every time a new video would load, I could see one (the 60fps) but the other one was just a garbled mess. It was unwatchable. It just looked like static and a slideshow from an old timey projector. It was like staring at a painting and tilting my head. I literally could not even tell what was going on and I instantly started having spasms.

It's easy to spot the difference and more importantly feel the difference through the input lag. And it is very much the same when making the jump from 60FPS to 120FPS. There's really nothing like gaming at 120Hz.

Oh, I didn't even notice the test in the OP. I just went through it and got a 11/11.

10/11 got the helicopter sim game wrong.

This one is pretty easy if you pay close attention to the rotor blade. That is the dead give away.

It would have been nice if everyone posted the type of monitor they are using along with refresh rate and browser. If my refresh rate is above 60hz on my CRT some games are harder to notice. Maybe some of you that are having trouble would notice it more on different displays. CRT displays, especially TV's, will give you double imaging on 30fps games. Other displays can give you other problems which is why I normally don't use them when playing video games. I'm more bothered by the type of display than I am to the fps of a game.

My memory isn't too great and I did my best to not remember what I chose earlier and just go by what I saw.

Firefox browser
Sony GDM-FW900 CRT
9/11 with refresh rate @ 85hz (took me a few minutes)
11/11 with refresh rate @ 60hz (took like a minute total, too easy)

Firefox browser
Sony Playstation 3D Display
9/11with refresh rate @ (supposedly) 240hz (took less time that the 85hz crt but more than @ 60hz on the crt)

Firefox Browser
Sony Wega HD CRT TV
11/11 with refresh rate @ 60hz (blatantly apparent just like the crt monitor.)

11/11

This test seems really dependent on browser/processsor performance. I could easily see someone's computer not being up to snuff, thus them not being able to tell the difference. Some of the examples appeared to not be close to 60, but more high enough for me to tell the difference, all because of a potentially non-optimal test environment. Same thing for GAF Webm's.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
11/11

Had to spend a few seconds on Race the Sun.

I love 60fps in fast-paced action games like MG Rising, but I find it quite jarring in other stuff.

Especially seeing TLoU cutscenes play out at 60 triggered a weird uncanny valley effect, which was really distracting. I think my eyes are used to the standard for film (24-30) when sitting and watching something, so it creates a weird juxtaposition with the gameplay when they're both locked at 60.

thematic

11/11
but I'm Ok with forced/locked 30 fps (mostly on consoles)

PC on the other hand, I prefer lower graphical quality than playing at under 50-60 fps.

I just did the test and got 7/11. I was disturbed by this because I thought I could easily tell the difference between the two. Then I remembered I had MotionFlow on. Did the test again and got 11/11. Scared myself for a moment.

tauke

11/11

Race the Sun test need me to see the surrounding movement before I can pickup the 60fps. Same with Arma II where at static angle, the difference between 30 and 60fps is non-existent to me until the camera moves (maybe with higher resolution video, the difference is more noticeable).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
11/11

This test seems really dependent on browser/processsor performance. I could easily see someone's computer not being up to snuff, thus them not being able to tell the difference. Some of the examples appeared to not be close to 60, but more high enough for me to tell the difference, all because of a potentially non-optimal test environment. Same thing for GAF Webm's.

I went 11/11 on my shitty old ass work laptop o_O

putermcgee

10/11, got Max Payne wrong. I don't pay attention to the 30/60fps debate, and I figured I wouldn't really be able to tell.

11/11, could easily tell the difference between the two in less than 2 seconds each, with the exception of Race the Sun because of the very small amount of movement at the beginning of the video.

I don't even know why there's a "I can't see the difference" debate. To me it's like saying "I can't tell between a black and white sheet of paper". It's just so obvious to me. I personally simply can't understand how someone genuinely can't tell the difference.

Nice link, thanks!

I can see it pretty easily. However, while playing Mario 3D World, I noticed that the "wow" factor of 60fps quickly vanishes for me after a few seconds. What I mean is: if I'm playing for a minute or two and then the game slowly falls to steady 30fps, I probably won't notice it.

Trust me, you'd notice. I've experienced exactly this, playing Far Cry 3 on the PC, where I'm playing for a long time at a steady 60 FPS then suddenly for no reason the game tanks to a steady 30 FPS for a few minutes with no jittering in between. It's about as subtle as someone jerking my chair.

Rhaknar

any more tests like this btw? that was fun

HariKari

11/11

Only one that gave me trouble was the Arma helicopter. Not a lot of reference there apart from the horizon/blades.

Some of these are so obvious within a few seconds that it's hard to believe someone that says they can't tell.

DSix

Banned
Yes, I can even perceive 120fps over 60. And I have shit vision. (oh and 11/11 of course, race the sun was a trick one because both footage were fucked by stuttering all over).

11/11

I can easily tell the difference when I see them side by side like that, but if I start playing something that's 60fps or that has a high frame rate, I honestly can't tell.

Top Bottom