• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Curious_George

Neo Member
10/11 I got the turtle game wrong (I blame it on the darkness of the scene in the turtle game). Also, the racing games and fps were the two that stood out as most easily identifiable. I can't stand to play either genre at sub 60 fps. 60 fps should really be the standard for racing games (everything just feels slower at 30).

pottuvoi

Banned
11/11.
Also the test is quite crappy as they waste good area of screen.
Should be possible to see difference on 60 and 120 as well.. (120/240 would be quite hard I imagine.)

Om3ga

Finished the test in less than a minute, probably even less than 30 secs. All except for 3 of them I could tell within a second if it was 60fps. I still got 11/11, but the Sun and Ninja Turtles one took a bit longer.

Though I'm willing to play games at lower framerates I can tell the difference. I wonder if they have a 60fps vs 120fps test.

Zolbrod

11/11

Took me only 5 seconds per clip in most cases, except for the one in the fighter plane which took me considerably longer.

It really is astoundingly obvious.

Jamix012

7/11

But in reality a few of those were lucky. I could tell the difference in about 3-4 of them and guessed the others.

Madness

11/11 because you can clearly tell which one is running smoother or has that soap opera effect in a sense.

But this really means nothing because the 30 fps versions look and play just as great. You can only really tell side by side, but by itself it'll be much harder.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
The comparison needs to be done with two screens (with either the video or the games running full screens), the difference between 30vs60 FPS can be clearly made out on a larger footprint.

That was easy, in spite of my crappy Internet connection.

xzWxfIe.png

Blearth

Banned
11/11 because you can clearly tell which one is running smoother or has that soap opera effect in a sense.

But this really means nothing because the 30 fps versions look and play just as great. You can only really tell side by side, but by itself it'll be much harder.

Neither of those things are true.

I'm sort of surprised at people saying that the Turtles took them a lot of time to see the difference. I thought that was one of the most obvious ones, personally. For me, the one that took a bit longer than usual was Max Payne.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
11/11

Only takes me few seconds to tell. Racing the sun was the only one that froze me for a bit. I've learned that the larger your viewing angle the higher the framerate you need for perceptually smooth motion.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm sort of surprised at people saying that the Turtles took them a lot of time to see the difference. I thought that was one of the most obvious ones, personally. For me, the one that took a bit longer than usual was Max Payne.

Max Payne was definitely the toughest, and really the only one I had to look at for any length of time. Not sure why that is.

Pyccko

Yeah, I just went through it again and got 11/11. Not sure why I messed up the TMNT the first time. It only took like 2 seconds to recognize it the second time through. Guess my mind must have been wandering or something. OH WELL

Lego Boss

8/11. I have to admit that it's never bothered me in the past and I think when you've grown up playing games that had overlays on them, the current graphics are like utopia achieved.

That's just my nostalgia though . . .

shockdude

11/11 for me. The third person games were tricky, and I can see how someone could say that third person games are fine at 30FPS.

Eusis

Speak for yourself, it's damn obvious the difference there is to me and most other people even without comparisons. Only a few odd games would be a problem and I suspect the hardest are those with unlocked fps and triple syncing, and even then it's probably a game that gets up to 40-ish and throws you off for being somewhere in between.

Neo Dark

Was doing it on Firefox at first at got points where both sides had a few drop in fps. Then remembered that Firefox doesn't work so well with this stuff. Definitely a lot easier to tell in chrome. It's kind of hard to tell on a small video like that though but I still managed to get a 10/11. Definitely easier to tell on racing games.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
For me its harder to tell from screenshots, but when I am actually playing the game I can tell. My old mother board VRM's would heat up something fierce which caused throttling in my system. The FPS would drop to around 30 fps. Huge difference.

Chastten

Banned
I'm pretty sure I must be going blind as I didn't see any difference in even the first vid. :p

I can notice when something drops to (or is) under 30ish but anything over 30 and I'm golden.

Bookman

damn, it seems like I can not actually see the difference :(
What does that mean? Should I go to the optician or is it my peabrain?

ColEx

Got 11/11, almost got caught out on the Arma II helicopter clip, but then i noticed the blades were moving smoother in the 60fps compared to the 30fps one. Everything else looked identical on that clip.

Ian

7/11

So I guess the answer to your question, OP, is sometimes. I'm a member of the don't care about frame rate club anyway so whatevs.

undu

Your Score: 11/11

Some games, like portal took me less than a a second to guess, other, like arma 2 took a while because of the lack of contrast in the trees and the relative lack of sudden movements, but the difference is still there.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
totally expected a jump scare thing

now i'm disappointed there isn't and it's just a real test

that all the vids are of movement makes it too simple because that's one of the easiest ways to tell the difference when side-by-side, 60fps movement is significantly smoother than 30fps movement even on a visual level nevermind an actual control level

So, the games you play don't have movement in them?

I would argue the opposite. Throwing IQ at everything will look good in PR stills and screenshots. But when actually playing the game, framerate is easily more important than any visual effect.

I covered one of the two screens and still were able to get an 11/11 easily.

The website doesn't exist anymore :(

Is there any other 30vs60fps test website? I already got 11/11 on this, but asking for future purposes.

DCDW

Can barely notice the difference side by side, sure would fail every test where it is not.

I can't call myself an expert, but I'm calling schenanigans on that test. Both videos are the same filesize. How can they both be the same size when one video should have over twice the frames in the video?

Edit: Ok the 60 fps one is slightly larger in file size, but it still seems a little off.

Top Bottom