• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Vash63

Easily. I have a 144Hz Gsync monitor and can tell the difference between 60 and 120 also. More frames is better. Especially for fps or anything with direct camera control.

LCfiner

11/11. easy to tell.

I do think that the quick movements of mouseloook in PC games makes 30fps look worse - the lost frames more obvious - than with the slower movement of cameras using thumbsticks (either PC or console)

bigkrev

I thought this would be super easy, but I only got 7/10. Missed on Race the Sun, Turtles, the Flying game, and 7 Days to die.

Rheon

I got 11/11. Most were instant but I did falter at the flight sim.

I don't know how people can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. 60fps just looks so much smoother and life-like.

i tried 5 was incorrect all the time. I agree though I am not good at this plus i do not give much attention to this things either.

I can see a slight difference, but I don't think the 60fps version is better or worse than the 30fps version.

In fact, I think the 30fps version has some sort of natural "image stabilization" to it.

I can't describe it - but the 60FPS version seems more "bouncey" to me. It's like it's on a handheld camera for some reason, versus a movie camera. I guess missing every other frame removes some of the extra motion you might pick up at 60FPS? I don't know - that's just how I see it.

Both are fine. I don't care if I play a game at 30 FPS or 60FPS, so long as they are locked in at their framerates.

Sh1ner

11/11
Did it on my PC, its easy to to do once you know what to look for. It takes me like 3 to 5 seconds to determine each one. Except the white one because there is no movement until blocks start appearing in front of the ship.

Zakalwe

Banned
11/11

Will always take 60fps if I can (pc - 1080/60 > all other options), but if a console game's locked 30 then it's fine.

Playing my first console fps in years (Destiny) and it runs at 30, feels absolutely fine. The low fov is the only part that really bothers me. :(

Haxxona

Banned
11/11 but I could say that before doing the test.
After playing Destiny for awhile now and then returning to a patched up BF4 is like night and day.
So if you cant see any difference then either you really need to check your eyes(no not really) or your TV is probably doing its magic on the cost of response time

ricki42

Did it again, but this time on my 120Hz 1080p monitor and not the laptop screen. Difference is much clearer, got 11/11 now and was a lot faster.

ekgrey

what the fuck??

i got 9/11. 9 times i was like "this is obvious as fuck."

the other two times were the racing games! i really couldn't tell. how does that work?

Sentenza

This felt like being asked if I could spot the difference between a square and a circle.

EDIT- and of course, 11/11.

jJjo0Hte9UhGn.jpg

UrbanRats

11/11 of course, it's even more obvious in games where you move through the space (FPS and 3d games in general) for me.

10/11. Some how it was skyrim that fucked me over. I will admit though, the flight sim was hard to tell, was more of a gut feeling than a clear distinction. That's the best test of it yet though. Whoever made that did a solid job. Nice variety of games.

Ultrabum

9/11 but I didn't watch any of the videos all the way through. It makes a huge difference, especially in some types of games.

Race the Sun was kinda hard since there's very little to differentiate in that game.

11/11 anyhoo

I scored the same, with the very same moment of hesitation to wait for the ship to pass the pyramids.

I'm an Xbox One owner, and a person who prefers the Xbox brand in general, and it's very easy to notice the difference between the two (unless it's a game like Race the Sun, heh).

Still, both companies should have focused more on actually future-proofing the consoles as long as they possibly could by creating powerful behemoths, like the original Xbox. Tech gets cheaper as the years go by, so the profit margin would grow with each passing year.

So while I greatly enjoy my console, I can admit it's technical shortcomings. Hell, my HP H8 1202 bought in 2012 has the same specs as the X1, though, to be fair, I paid $300 less for the Xbox at release.

Nice link, thanks!

I can see it pretty easily. However, while playing Mario 3D World, I noticed that the "wow" factor of 60fps quickly vanishes for me after a few seconds. What I mean is: if I'm playing for a minute or two and then the game slowly falls to steady 30fps, I probably won't notice it.

Top Bottom