• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

I got 2 incorrect out of ten, and it was because one video was loading slower than the other. lol

That said, I prefer 60 fps, but 30 fps is not unplayable or "gross".

MadSexual

11/11. The only one I had to focus on was Skyrim, weirdly enough. Something about the janky way he was using the camera made it hard for me to see anything very clearly.

The obvious improvement is the smoothness of 60 fps, but doing this quiz I also noticed how much "richer" the whole image appears to be at 60.

I'd really like to see the comparison at 60/120, though I don't suppose I'd be able to see a difference on a 60 hz monitor.

Empty

3/11 and the right ones were just guesses.

not frame rate sensitive, especially when it's 30 or above. only really noticed framerates in shadow of the collossus and far cry 3 ps3 which i think are like 10-15 fps at times.

tcrunch

completely in awe at some of the replies in here. how is it not painfully obvious which one is 60? now im no eye doctor, but im genuinely curious as to how some people are unable to tell. is it an eye thing? does it have something to do with how the eye transmits images to the brain? no offense intended, but id like to read more about this.

There's several components to it:
-The display's quality/refresh rate
-At what rate your eye receives light (the image)...this capacity is basically infinite
-At what rate your optic nerve transmits what the eye sees to the brain (as electrical impulses)
-At what rate your brain deciphers the impulses
-Brains also have thresholds of response, for example if you don't get the same signal enough times within a window defined in milliseconds, it will not cross your "response threshold" and will not trigger your deciphering mechanisms
-Like anything your brain can be trained to be more responsive to certain fps (sidebar: consider the people who argue that all movies should be 48fps like The Hobbit even if it looks weird to audiences now because children raised on 48fps won't think it looks weird once they are cash-spending 18-35 demos)
-It would be interesting to know if all the aces on this test are primarily PC players or not, what kind of displays are used, etc, but that is beyond the scope of the topic

Honestly I decided to give a few journal databases a skim to see what kinds of research has been done on fps and the answer seems to be: not a lot. Outside of art/movies/games there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of application to fps and people who actually care about fps may be a very small subset of the consumer population. Other people that care about fps are in physics, but they're not interested in how it relates to the human eye.

Going back to The Hobbit, most people don't complain about movies being choppy even though movies are typically recorded at 24fps. Instead, people say The Hobbit @48fps looks "weird" or more like a TV show than a movie. I could definitely tell the difference on the movie but I can't tell the difference on this test. Possibilities: monitor sucks, easier to notice fps changes in a large image, "brain training" is different for movies (large-format) and games (small-format), etc. I want to muse about The Hobbit using real images instead of CGI as well but considering the movie that claim can't really be made.

We need to put 300 GAFs with a balanced assortment of gaming pedigrees in a room with 300 120Hz monitors and see what happens.

tl;dr: It's not the eyes, it's the display equipment and sensitivity threshold of the brain.

Yes I can.

Do I care about the difference? Not really. Totally depends on the game, but in most instances, 30 or 60 makes no difference to me.

Ultryx

All day and all night, baby. It's always very difficult to portray the stark difference just by playing a video though. When you sit someone down and make them play, it's jarring. One of my best friends was at my house one night and had been playing BF3 on XB360 since it came out. My other friend and I stick to the PC version. I let him play the game on my PC and he was blown away at how different it is. I know the XB360 version of BF3 dipped all over, but the point stands that it's a black and white difference.

No hate to those who don't care if it's 30fps or 60fps, but don't deny the difference.

Edit: 10/11.

I love how you can tell who read the OP and who just answered the thread title. I would love to see the scores of everyone who just assumes yes.

Mine:

4/11

And I really tried :(

I think it's more apparent in FPS games. Otherwise it's a mess for me.

Emdeepee

I got all 11 right, but I'm not sure the right test is a side by side comparison.

If given the choice I would always choose 60, mostly for controller response, but I'm not sure I've ever played a locked 30 game where my enjoyment has been affected by the framerate or control.

I'd really like to see a test where you are presented with a single video and have to choose - is this 30 or 60? I'm not sure we would get so many being 100% correct.

Nabs

Your Score:11/11

I hate these 60 vs 30 websites. It's so much more apparent when you're playing something that hasn't been recorded/encoded.

Ranger X

Wow, nice test.
I wonder the hell how some people can't see it all the time. I mean, I expect people to not be sensitive as much as others but still.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
10/11

Less than a minute, total.

I don't know how anyone can't tell the difference. It's huge.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
11/11 but I'm perfectly happy playing games at a solid 30 or 60+ fps as long as it is locked. I can't stand wildy varying framerates in games.

Spookie

11/11 - Give me 60vs120 and I could also tell you the difference then! Though that's much more noticeable in the fluidity of gameplay (in Dota 2 it's a huge difference).

-SD-

Banned
While playing a game, the difference is so obvious, it's not even worth asking.

It's also a really outdated question, in PC gaming circles, at least. Here's the updated version:

Can you tell the difference between 60fps and 90fps?

Even 60 vs. 90 is obvious. Beyond that, it gets hard.

Phediuk

I'm really worried about the people who can't tell the difference.

I got every one of these right, like, instantly.

Levyne

Banned
11/11. It's super easy to tell in most games for me (it was instant on the racer, trials, and oddly that turtles game?) but for the first one for some reason I had to wait for the camera to turn. That's always a dead giveaway.

MadSexual

I'd really like to see a test where you are presented with a single video and have to choose - is this 30 or 60? I'm not sure we would get so many being 100% correct.

I really suspect I wouldn't get them all right in this case. In fact, I was actually hoping that's how the test would be. I can tell the difference when I'm playing a game, but watching is going to be very case dependent for me. I know my sensitivity drops significantly after 45-ish fps.

11/11

I don't have any problem with people that can't tell the difference. My issue is when these people say that nobody can tell the difference and that it doesn't matter at all.

11/11

Oh crap. I just bought a bunch of parts for a new PC and was all like "bah, I don't need anything high end. I'll just buy midrange stuff!" But I could tell the difference instantly and really preferred the 60fps.

Does anyone think a 960 will run Assassin's Creed Unity at 1080p/60fps?

OnPoint

11/11

The only one that gave me trouble was the Turtles one, but I got it anyway, and it wasn't a guess.

Can some people really not tell?

DVCY201

I can notice the difference immediately. 11/11, 60fps is just so much smoother, but I prefer a steady framerate ultimately.

Ruben0s

Neo Member
For best results, use Chrome.

Your Score:11/11

I used to play videogames on a 144Hz monitor but I sold it and bought a 60Hz IPS monitor. I can tell that the difference between 144fps and 60fps is noticeable as well.

Now I only play 30fps console games :+)

I think what would be a better test is 50hz vs 60hz

Because back in the dark days of PAL games, every game ran at 50hz for a max of 50fps.

in the early PS360 days, many people, myself included, were still gaming on TVs connected via scart, it only was when HDMI TVS became cheaper that we were liberated from the 50hz ghetto.

There are people right now playing PS360 games at 25fps max with dips

Dwell on that for moment.

Timeaisis

6/11. I can't tell with first person games at all. There aren't obvious animations so it's pretty much impossible for me.

Radnom

11/11 easy. I love high frame rates, and I'd even like film to get right into high frame rates. I'd love to try out a game running at 120fps to see if I could easily tell the difference before investing in a new monitor, but I suspect 60 is a pretty good number.

UaegxX2.png

come on.

213372bu

Banned
10/11 only because Portal's 60 FPS was stuttering more than the one on 30 FPS.

BTW, for those "not sensitive to FPS", even if you don't notice it, playing a game at 60 FPS feels better than playing one at 30 FPS. After playing at different framerates on PC, you become more sensitive to it.

Fredrik

11/11 without any hesitation, but it's easier to spot in racing games or games with lots of side movements.
Can't tell 900p/720p/1080p apart though :p

ricki42

10/11, but I had to watch each one several times. I only really noticed the difference when first watching the 60fps one for a while and then going to the 30fps one. Except for the Portal video, that one is most obvious during the first few seconds.

And to all the people saying you have to be 'literally blind' not to see the difference, or something has to be wrong with your eyes:
I would assume it's really just a matter of training. Just like a trained musician will immediately notice if someone substitutes a chord in a progression, or if a drummer is a little bit off with one beat, while I suspect most people wouldn't know unless it was pointed out to them, if at all. Doesn't mean they are deaf or need their ears checked, only that they lack the experience.

6/11. I can't tell with first person games at all. There aren't obvious animations so it's pretty much impossible for me.

I can tell sometimes, but I have a bad habit of second-guessing myself on these sorts of things. The Portal one for instance I thought correctly to begin with and then wound up second-guessing myself.

11/11

some were harder for me to tell, but when you notice things like the environment or how smoothly a piece of clothing moves, it becomes obvious.

Nozem

11/11

After playing TLOU Remastered for a few hours I tried the 30fps mode. Good god that was horrible.

Omega

Banned
What was the game with the helicopter?

It was the only one I didn't get instantly. I think it looped like 3 times. Almost nothing was going on besides flying in a straight line..

Aeqvitas

Generally, not really. I notice if the framerate is inconsistent. But I can not tell the difference between something butter smooth like FH2 or destiny, and something Forza 5 or Titanfall(I did notice the horrible frame drops at launch, but with the most recent patches it seems smooth to me now).

Even on my PC where I can see the framerate, I only care that I get it capped at 30 or 60 such that it doesn't fluctuate at all.

TRI Mike

11/11 which is surprising given that I don't give much importance to it unless it's a fighting game. Still, we should be getting 60fps only in this day and age. Especially on PS4/XBO/PC

I actually had a tough time distinguishing between 30 and 60 for a few examples...but I can really feel the difference when I actually have a controller in my hand.

With that said, 30fps is acceptable...but 60fps feels so much better.

Top Bottom