• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
During gameplay I can't tell the difference (because I don't think about that while I play) but if I'm specifically looking for the difference I can tell.

I can however instantly tell and feel when the FPS drop more than 5 Frames at once however such drops are no deal breaker to me since I grown accustomed to them. (Mostly thanks to the Bethesda games on PS3).

EBE

11/11
i dont have a preference for 60 over 30.
ive played a lot of the mainline forza games over the years and think the horizon games are perfectly acceptable. i dont feel like 30 is a detriment to the handling/racing.

mcz117chief

10/11, only Skyrim got me. Honestly, once you get used to 60fps it is hard to come back. The most dramatic recent revalation was when I watched the MGSV trailer on youtube and then I downloaded the 60fps version.

Poeton

10/11 The helicopter scene threw me off. Yeah 60 vs 30 is obvious for the most part, but 30fps isn't a deal breaker for me.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Ok, 11/11. It didn't take long at all to single out which was 60 fps.

10/11 The helicopter scene threw me off. Yeah 60 vs 30 is obvious for the most part, but 30fps isn't a deal breaker for me.

It isn't for me, either.

7/11 but, I just selected the one I preferred instead of the one I thought was 60FPS. I wanted to see if, without looking for it, I would prefer 60. If I just looked for 60FPS it's pretty easy to tell.

Surprisingly, the one I thought for sure I would prefer 60 on I picked 30 (the racing game that wasn't Chasing the Sun).

11/11. I find it easy to tell when they're right next to each other, but maybe not necessarily when im playing a game will I notice or be able to tell if its 30 or 60, but if its smooth enough I don't really care

Took it again and improved to 7/11! Woohoo!
I just chose which ones I thought looked better. I saw a tiny difference in each, but I apparently ended up preferring 30 or 60 in some of them.

At any rate, they all looked like fun games.

RowdyReverb

11/11. That said, I think I would have had a tougher time if they were before and after rather than side-by-side comparisons. Give me hard mode

Tenck

4fccb809b2.png

Popnbake

10/11. Got the helicopter comparison wrong.

Could mostly tell from camera movement but other than that, 30fps is just fine for me.

kyo2004

11/11

7 days to die was difficult (stupid cave gameplay), but the moving camera helps to choose the right answer...

Minyobi

11/11,
The Arma one was the least obvious to my eyes.

Also, 30 FPS is not a "slide show" by any means. People really need to stop with that.
I've tried to play new games on an older PC with an integrated graphics card.

I know my slide shows.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
uKtVe5p.png

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Give me 60fps or give me pickles.

Cha

11/11. But honestly, I don't think I could tell the difference for some of those if they were not put side by side. I've got no problems with a stable 30 (depends on the type of game too i guess). It's when things get inconsistent that I get annoyed.

Leependi

3/11!

I can kind of see there's a difference, I guess I just have an incorrect view of which actually looks better.

cnorwood

Banned
Yes, if you cannot tell the difference its because you dont play enough 60fps games. Its very noticeable
EDIT:11/11

But to be honest I really dont care until I play the 60fps version, then the 30 fps version becomes obsolete Like Tomb Raider or TLOU:R

There's a big difference between watching 30vs60 fps and controlling and being able to feel 30vs60 fps.

I mean I could still tell in those videos, but it's not even close to the same as feeling it when playing them.

I only needed about 5 seconds in each one.

PwLSboI.png

That said, there are still quit a few games where I'll put up with 30 FPS @ 4K. Not shooters though. 60 FPS or bust.

Obscured

I looked at a few and let it play all of the way through looking at one and then the other. Those I all guessed correctly. When I got to portal I just clicked within a few seconds based on feel. Surprisingly I was wrong. I noticed that the ones that I had a hard time noticing had more to do with how the camera was working than the fps. portal felt very jumpy in both which I think is what threw me off. The counterstrike one was extremely obvious though as soon as it started. There are other factors there, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I would kind of like to see a 120 option next to those as well.

I'd rather have more, but to me it isn't an extreme difference. What constitutes extreme from one person to another is subjective though so I guess it will always be a fight. I'm curious though if it is a relative issue. So for those that are playing 60fps more often they have trained themselves to see it easier and now anything less is unacceptable. I'm mainly playing consoles still, so I'm used to seeing a mix and while I can definitely tell it does not bother me.

If they're side by side then definitely. If they're not then I usually have a tougher time telling. The difference between a solid 30 and 60 isn't enough to bother me so even if a game is 30fps I don't tend to notice it much.

Mupod

I would've been really surprised if I hadn't gotten all of those. Now, a 60/120 or 90/120 comparison site would be much more interesting.

Pimpbaa

11/11. I can see some people maybe getting Arma III or Race the Sun wrong, but the others? Admitting you can tell the difference doesn't automatically mean you need 60fps in every game or your choice of gaming hardware is somehow invalidated. There is no need to lie just because you think 30fps is enough.

Top Bottom